You're not as stupid as these people....

Dedalus said:
what would they rather their kids be doing? outside robbing other people/underage drinking/smoking/drug abuse etc?
Hey, if the cool kids are doing it then count me in!

To be honest if their arguments are based on derisive, sweeping comments such as "all gamers are mentally imbalanced social outcasts" then they don't have a leg to stand on. They're ignorant, misinformed, rude, sanctimonious, oppressive and they can't argue for shit.
<Realises it's a hoax>
Well, ahem - I was applying that to other peoples' views. Ahem. Obviously not these cause this is clearly a parody <Ahem>

Just like Landover Baptists

Having said that, some people have been genuinely addicted to computer games (in terms of how psychologists would class the behaviour/qualities represented by an addiction) and, as we all know, Everquest has split up families.

Apparently Manhunt caused a boy to kill another boy. I saw it on the news last night!

Plus, there was that incident where ssome Korean guy played Starcraft tot he death, without eating, sleeping, toilet-ing or drinking for a week. They found him dead at his PC. So I wouldn't say arguments against videogames (that aren't fakes) are completely groundless...just mostly.

Its not quite that bad Sulk....The parents were worried that the game may have influenced the boy to murder. To be fair, after such a tragic incident you can hardly blame them for overreacting to a game where you can kill people with plastic bags.

Those koreans are mad for games, over there gamers are treated like sporting heroes in the west. People have died playing CS as well, because they just didn't leave their computers.

My point being that while computer games are used as a scapegoat for everything from inflation to multiple homicide, and while mostly they are not the cause of these things, you can't just dismiss arguments against them. But they're no more dangerous than any other media imo.

As for the Koreans...well, I suppose people have died playing football...

Yeah...I can't imagine dying for counterstrike though....then again, I suppose dying doing what you live for is as good as anything else.

I think these different medias are what you make of them...TV can be the window to the world and one of the greatest teachers. It can also corrupt you. Games, can again teach us a great many things and entertain, but like TV they can corrupt. Perhaps not in an obvious way, as these things happen gradually over time.

Back