12 Year Old Murderer Faces Adult Charges

What? What? Flavoured cigarettes are banned in the U.S. because they're supposedly marketed to children, despite being only available for adults to buy, but you can legally market and sell a firearm billed as 'My First Rifle'? ??? ?!?!?!?!?

Likely because it's much more difficult to get a rifle than cigarettes for your average 12-year-old kid. That marketing is more directed at parents who would buy one for their kids. They see it and think "Oh hey! I'll get this for my child so he can practice shooting!"

Unless this kid is made from pure evil than he has a mental problem(s), as do most people who would do this type of thing. Is trying this kid as an adult even legal?

I'd say he should receive the most serious discipline a person of his age can get, along with mandatory therapy and what not. He's too young to face this charge, plain and simple.

Unless this kid is made from pure evil than he has a mental problem(s), as do most people who would do this type of thing. Is trying this kid as an adult even legal?

I'd say he should receive the most serious discipline a person of his age can get, along with mandatory therapy and what not. He's too young to face this charge, plain and simple.

What you're saying sounds kind of arbitrary. You're saying he shouldn't be tried as an adult because of the law, and you say he should be charged with the most serious discipline within the law for his age, yet you don't even know what that is. But then you say he's too young to face an adult charge. So do you care about what the law says, or do you care about him getting the punishment he deserves, regardless of what the arbitrary laws say? Your post has a foot in both sides of that.

What you're saying sounds kind of arbitrary. You're saying he shouldn't be tried as an adult because of the law, and you say he should be charged with the most serious discipline within the law for his age, yet you don't even know what that is. But then you say he's too young to face an adult charge. So do you care about what the law says, or do you care about him getting the punishment he deserves, regardless of what the arbitrary laws say? Your post has a foot in both sides of that.

What he deserves is not proportional to the law. I don't know specifics of the laws which would determine his fate but just because he is a child does not negate the fact that a severe punishment should be given. So, no...I don't think he should be tried as an adult but I do feel that he should be handled very strictly. If he was 16-17 I might argue the opposite but a 12 year old obviously does not have the mental capacity to fully understand the severity of his actions.

Again you're completely contradicting yourself in the same breath. You say the law is arbitrary, and that it doesn't matter if we're talking about what punishment he deserves. And I agree. But then you go on to say that he shouldn't be tried as an adult because he's 12, which is something someone would say if they believed the law was perfect.

Am I misunderstanding you?

Again you're completely contradicting yourself in the same breath. You say the law is arbitrary, and that it doesn't matter if we're talking about what punishment he deserves. And I agree. But then you go on to say that he shouldn't be tried as an adult because he's 12, which is something someone would say if they believed the law was perfect.

Am I misunderstanding you?

I'm not saying the law is arbitrary. I do believe there are many inconsistencies but that is beside the point. The way I look at it, a 12 year old, six years from legally being acknowledged as an adult, shouldn't be convicted as such just because of the severity of the crime in question.

The law is FAR from perfect.

What are your thoughts?

Who cares what the law says? The punishment he deserves is the punishment he deserves. If you're saying that the punishment an adult receives under US law is too much punishment for him, then that's fine. But why involve the law in what you're saying at all? What the law says is only arbitrary, that's my point.

Who cares what the law says? The punishment he deserves is the punishment he deserves. If you're saying that the punishment an adult receives under US law is too much punishment for him, then that's fine. But why involve the law in what you're saying at all? What the law says is only arbitrary, that's my point.

Let's back up, I think we're straying from the actual argument.

I think the punishment he should receive should be congruent with the law pertaining to his age. I don't know what these punishments would be, I'm merely saying that escalating his case and trying a 12 year old as an adult is wrong.

You assertion that laws are arbitrary is both right and wrong in my book. We have laws to ascertain the proper punishment for any given crime, but obviously there are an abundance of gray areas where simply abiding by the law is can be, in fact, arbitrary.

Back