30 Hours worth of gameplay

Dsty2001

Reaction score
I honestly think that none of us know ANYTHING about the game if there is 30+ hours worth of gameplay :p

yea that is very true, i wonder if it'll be like in mgs2 where there's a massive twist in it that changed most of the entire game, that would be really cool

Didnt they claim 40+ hours when it originally was being shown off?

I have a feeling something like that will happend.

That 30 hours varies enormously according to Gabe. In the PC Gameplay preview he estimated it would take the avarage gamer at least 40 hours. But it also totally depends on your style of play, someone who runs through the game with guns blazing won't last as long as someone who uses all physics traps. It took Gabe's dad some 60 hours btw. Depending on your style of play, it could well be twice as long as HL1.
So I think it's hard to say how long it will take for you, but if you're pretty good in FPS, I'd say 25-30 hours (that 40 hours is for the n00b I think)

uhh didn't you say it depended on your style of play as opposed to skill and then kinda just go against that in the same post?

That is still an awful lot of gameplay, more than any other Single player game I know of.

Sai said:
yea that is very true, i wonder if it'll be like in mgs2 where there's a massive twist in it that changed most of the entire game, that would be really cool

DONT SAY THAT!

OMG

if valve only lets us play as gordon for like an hour and then gives us some new female lookin-soundin character im gonna ****in flip.

****in mgs2, what an attrocity.

I think it took about 20-30 hours on the original for most people's first time.

I'd imagine 30-40 / 40-50 for Half-Life 2. I guess a lot of it depends on how long you spend messing around with the physics :)

i'm with the opinion that says it depends on playing style, i mean if you go around trying to find barrells so you can use the manipulater to throw them at combine so you'll conserve ammo, well that'll just take a lot longer than just wasting your crossbow bolts on them

what is this? am i the only one in the world that actually liked that surprise?
and looke what you've done now, spoiled mgs2 for anyone that's been hiding under a rock and hasn't played it yet :D

Sai said:
uhh didn't you say it depended on your style of play as opposed to skill and then kinda just go against that in the same post?

Errr... yeah... uhhhh... whatever! :D

But it obviously also depends on skill and the difficulty you play it on, on top of that the style you play it.

But it obviously also depends on skill and the difficulty you play it on, on top of that the style you play it.
yea i forgot about the difficulty settings, i wonder what the differences will be, i never tried half life1 on hard or easy, just played it on medium; how's it like on easy and hard, i bet the differences will be the same in hl2 that they were in hl1

just like hl1 was done quick in 57min and 52 sec!!!
that was a highly edited, highly incorrect way to play half life, i don't think anyone has the skill to beat half life straight without at least 3 hours

Xtasy0 said:
DONT SAY THAT!

OMG

if valve only lets us play as gordon for like an hour and then gives us some new female lookin-soundin character im gonna ****in flip.

Hehe imagine Valve at E3 coming with the announcement about the storyline "Besides Barney, Eli and Kleiner, also the Black Mesa hairstylist Steven survived the disaster. You will get to play him for a major part of the game. You won't wear an HEV suit, because Steven doesn't want his designer clothes to be creased."

No offence to Stevens, but try saying it with a gay accent, sounds so gay :)

according to bluesnews its 20-30 hours

You mean, according to a half-assed and unclear estimate based on calculating some statement Lombardi made about a certain scene being 10 hours into the game and around halfway through.

if there is a big twist in hl2, and if you do actually get to play as someone else in the game, then i honestly, truly, really do wish that you could play as the g-man

We wont know till the games released, and even then everybodies experience will be different, factors of skill, play style, and personal experimentation will effect different people in different ways, although regardless of the length, I can see Hl2 being a game ill be playing through time and time again.

Heh: HL2 is a game in which I could see myself deliberately dying so I can go back and run through some cool sequence all over again. :)

notice how whenever he turned corners he instantly knew where every head crab was?

Er, that's sort of standard in speed runs. You time out pretty much every move, and you learn the maps like the back of your hand so you can hit things perfectly every time. I mean, it was pieced together out of lots of different tries of each level...

I'm honestly hoping that Barney gets clapped. What a nice partial plot change.

It all depends on your gameplay type. Means if you r an explorer then Gabe stated the time will be doubled whereas if you are the type of running through the game so fast without any looking at the details then time will be 20-30 H.

I am the first type of gamers.

Chris_D said:
I think it took about 20-30 hours on the original for most people's first time.

I'd imagine 30-40 / 40-50 for Half-Life 2. I guess a lot of it depends on how long you spend messing around with the physics :)

Couldn't you ahve just said 30-50? :E

I hope that it is at least 30 hours long. You can cram a lot of game into 30 hours.

what do we know so far?
I've pictured it like this: Gordon arrives at trainstation, goes to kleiners lab, gets his suit, travels through the desert to Eli's lab/resistance hideout, from there goes to C17, alternates between city and sewers, and then? how do the prison and the traptown / cemetary fit in? what stuff is still missing?

i am sure he said 40+ hours and that is if you know how to do it from start to finish

Also i read and i qoute

"hl2 could be twice as long as the original"

COULD so the way you play it.

If its more than 25 hours for the average person ill eat my face. Its just not practical to make a game that long. remember Max Payne 2 was supposed to be 30 hours minimum :p

IonGorilla said:
If its more than 25 hours for the average person ill eat my face. Its just not practical to make a game that long. remember Max Payne 2 was supposed to be 30 hours minimum :p

Since when? I remember reading up on MP2 and in the interviews on of the devs said it would be of similar length to Max Payne. In fact I got the game knowing it was as lengthy as Max Payne, maybe slightly shorter. I don't ever recall hearing it was supposed to be 30 hours long as a minimum.

@Dsty2001: Also there are a few singleplayer games I know of that have 30+ hours of gameplay. Baldur's Gate 2, Final Fantasy games etc...

I going to make every scene last for as long as possible - sneak about, spy on the AI, try all objects, look in buildings - soak it all in.

Jah... 30+ is a little over the top... Only the roleplaying games with massive plots got that long of a "durability" as zappster said..

Let's just hope they don't make it lengthy just for the sake of it. I'd hate for the game to drag on and on. I hope there's not too much backtracking through areas you've already been through to artificially increase game length.

Hl1 was pretty damn long. And Gabe said it was longer, so I'll be happy.

Plus didn't Gabe say that while the game would be entirely on earth, pieces of Xen would be on it? So the gameplay will probably vary. But I don't see a massive MGS twist.

PvtRyan said:
Hehe imagine Valve at E3 coming with the announcement about the storyline "Besides Barney, Eli and Kleiner, also the Black Mesa hairstylist Steven survived the disaster. You will get to play him for a major part of the game. You won't wear an HEV suit, because Steven doesn't want his designer clothes to be creased."

No offence to Stevens, but try saying it with a gay accent, sounds so gay :)
if we get to play as Aylx I would hate it in a official HALF LIFE game..

If it was a Addon then that be sweet.

Half-life = Gordon Freeman

Addons = other characters to play and see the other story as

i mean addons there was Barney and shepard HL2 addon could be gr8 to see in the eyes of alyx and another addon in the eyes of a combine

if the game is as substantialy long as the reports say it is, then i wonder if the one major flaw of the game will be that it looses steam after the 25 hour mark, that would really really suck

Its First Person, you could be switching characters constantly. Gabe could just be a supernatural consciousness hopping from one brain to the next whenever 'he' needs to go somewhere far away or leave behind a wasted body. Gabe could be a renegade ideal seeded into someone's mind rather than a character.

But thats too cool for valve.

Haven’t read the rest of the thread but I wanted to add something.

The game will have levels with multiple entry and exit points. This would mean that if you play the game once you would only see 40% (I think I saw that number mentioned in some interview or so) so this would mean that if you would play it the second time and choose different path's you would end up with a totally different experience. This adds up to the total game play hours. So that would add up to the 40+ game play hours (it seems that almost every interview that discusses the total game play hours have a different number, reaching from 30 to 40+) which means that you can play this game loads of time and still find surprises every time you play it (until you have played all the levels that is).

and speed playing would be extra challenging because you would need to find out the fastest route to.

may be one of the twists will be that you get to be a head crab controlled being

PvtRyan said:

I'd pay for that! Hey - Someone Mod this NOW!! I can just hear the Duke Nukem style one-liners.

"Hail to the Queen, Baby!"

Back