5 new gameplay videos

Thank you The Brick ... and thank you valve, looks astounding, pretty keen on defcon as well, sweet time i reckon! Just wish they ran on Linux :p

HOLY SWEET ****ERY! That's insane, I mean I knew it was gonna be awesome, but from these videos... I didn't know it was going to be this awesome. There's just so much to praise it's rediculous;

A. Dynamic lighting!
B. The atmosphere of the antlion nest (the HDR-lighting makes it even more amazing).
C. Sheer amazing outdoor areas; I'm still amazed at that fluidity of racing through that forest following the train tracks.
D. Hunters are just too cool.
E. You can now throw axes with the gravity gun.
F. The house being obliterated... just beautiful.

Now if only we had a snippet of G-man.

I just cant wait for the HD videos!!!!

Nothing said yet about when. Really depends on how much they planned things before leaving the states, but I'd say chances are they might not come out on steam until they return from germany: I don't think they'd want to do a release with half the employees out of the country.

I hope they do release stuff soon though, because it's sort of stupid to have the low quality stuff floating around for so long before the high quality stuff.

The vort shadow in the flashlight: doesn't that look... not right? I mean, he has two shadows, one in front and one behind. Is that correct? Shouldn't the flashlight nearly swamp out the shadow in front (cast by the backlighting?)

Well not all the employees have gone to Germany only a few of the head honchos. They also updated the Steam storefront when you start Steam. So I would say they should give out these videos on Thursday on Friday.

You All Killed Youtube!!!!! You Bastards!!!!

The vort shadow in the flashlight: doesn't that look... not right? I mean, he has two shadows, one in front and one behind. Is that correct? Shouldn't the flashlight nearly swamp out the shadow in front (cast by the backlighting?)
Only if the flashlight used some sort of nuclear halogen bulb :p

ep.2, portal, and TF2 are still coming out in the same package right? (I've heard otherwise).

can anyone understand what the vort says in the first video, right after gordon kills the grub?

it sounds like "FOR BEAR, FREEMAN! WE RECOMMEND SEX." but uh... that can't be right...

HOLY SHIT. That looks amazing! The music in the first vid was effing awesome too. :D

Are the grubs actually hostile?, it seemed Gordon always attacked them first.

Anyway, the vids were pretty awesome. And the wide-open spaces are a completely new horizon for the HL series. I just hope they are saving the character interaction scenes for later. C'mon Valve, I want story.

And where's Alyx, dagnabbit?

I've noticed that the Source technology is really improving when it comes to environment size. While Half-Life 2's areas were relatively small, Episode One often went much longer without a loading pause. It seems that with the huge areas in Episode Two, there's even fewer loading pauses. Could it be Valve has implemented some sort of streaming technology?

Oh, and that footage is amazing. I never thought blowing something up with a shotgun could look so beautiful.

Enh, I think Ep1 went so much longer partially because they slowed the player down so much. I don't recall the individual levels in it being large, just slow. Kind of like the one level in Nova Prospekt where that message to the Combine soldiers was playing. The entire map is basically just that room, but because you're doing so much backtracking and running around, it takes awhile to go through. I hope they have implemented some streaming though (possibly something like the intra-level streaming they did for the Xbox but on a larger scale?) since the level transitions for the HL series are perfectly suited to that. Not to mention, minute long load times suck

Pc Gamer podcast says that videos will be released on steam Friday. Plus they said a spoiler about HL2 ep2.

SPOILER!!!

"The gman and Alex have a connection"

"He knows who she is"

Probably much larger levels (atleast one or a few) considering the new buggy.

On that Portal one, it says "When the testing is over you will be... (Then what?)"

Edit:
WHAT?! That spoiler made my day. He might appear in E2. I'm so happy I could die.

WEll that don't mean nothin, the g-man has seen her is all. Hell, he's picked some lint off her jacket! Besides, I figure G-man knows who everyone is anyway. Excited to see him in Ep2 though :D

F***ing HOLY S***!
That was...he most badass vorti ever!

i never thought I would ever say 'meh' about a halflife product
but it's all so unoriginal - vehicle ramming soldiers? done. extended gunship fight? done done and done again. fighting antlions in enclosed spaces? done to death.
:(

Did you not notice the new soldier A.I, zombie jumping on his car, crobarring spider-webs, and everything else that I cna't be bothered to list because I'm gonna watch em again?

WEll that don't mean nothin, the g-man has seen her is all. Hell, he's picked some lint off her jacket! Besides, I figure G-man knows who everyone is anyway. Excited to see him in Ep2 though :D

I reckon that the detail he knows about Alyx is probably slightly more interesting than the lint on her jacket! Otherwise, they wouldn't have mentioned it.

You know, the HL story keeps getting more and more interesting. LaidLaw is a demi-god.

can anyone understand what the vort says in the first video, right after gordon kills the grub?

it sounds like "FOR BEAR, FREEMAN! WE RECOMMEND SEX." but uh... that can't be right...

I too have watched that vid a couple of times to try and hear him right, and what you said is what I'm getting. :LOL:

Maybe its some kind of Vortigaunt humor? :bounce:

I think he says " We recommened Silence", but I don't know about the first part.
Did anyone else see the spinning blades on the front of his car in the trailer 5?

I'm pretty sure he says "sense".

Gamespot has ep2 impressions from the closed showing of the trailers at GC. The interesting bits are:

"We were told that the lighting in the tunnel scene isn't final yet, but it was impressive nonetheless."

"Objects that got hurled at the walkers during the fight included old tires, an axe, a rock, a large water trough, and some kind of sticky bomb or magnetic explosive that landed on the walker's head and stayed there until Gordon detonated it with another well-placed shot."

Now , i didn't spot anything like the last example ,sticky bomb? If there was a sticky bomb in that video , i wonder if it's the same used on the Striders.

About the grub , at the start of part2 it seems the player is jumping over spots that have grabs in them. I assume that a contact with a grub causes damage.

Amazing videos! Now I want a release date, like... September 30th :p

Everytime i think i can't get excited about anything Half-Life anymore, something like this comes along and just blows my ****ing mind.

I was actually surprised at myself when my jaw literally dropped when the house got demolished. Awesome. ****ing awesome.

Back