7 hour war

NeLi

Reaction score
Yeah. I seem to have missed this part of the game. People keep mentioning the "7 hour war" but I never heard anything about that in the game...

Could someone explain? :rolleyes:

God damn, your avatar is distracting lol.

The combine came to earth, and the armies of earth were defeated/surrendered in 7 hours.

Dr. Breen was the one who aranged the surrender of earth's forces and that's why he is in charge now.

Go here for more info:
http://fragfiles.org/~hlstory//timeline.htm

ok, but when did you hear this in-game?

NeLi said:
ok, but when did you hear this in-game?

In Eli's lab, there are newspaperclippings etc on the bulletin board, and if you walk over to it, he talks to you about it.

I believe the clippings are opposite the thing with the rotating Xen crystals in, just on that little wall next to the bookcase thing. You can see the words '7 hour war' on the clipping. Dont worry i missed it first time as well...he said check out the lab, and Alyx took a rather funny position on the ladder...so i didnt get time :)

DreadLord1337 said:
God damn, your avatar is distracting lol.

Quoted for emphasis.

Anyway, I read in Raising the Bar they wanted to have Dr. Eli run a slideshow for you explaining the events of the 7 Hour War.

Something...like...THIS!

"Eli powers up the slide projector. A white image flashes on the wall of his room, where he has hung a white sheet.

Eli: Let's see now... where does this start?

The following images appear as he speaks:
*Aerial view of Black Mesa
*Inbound train
*Test Chamber

Eli: Black Mesa. Let's not dwell on that. Nobody's blaming you. We all have to accept some responsibility... what matters is what we do next. I'll get to that. After the disaster, well... let's just say, the ripples keep spreading.

The next few scenes have the feel of Norman Rockwell in Hell:
*Headcrabs leaping onto shoppers from supermarket shelves
*Bullsuid chasing a family from a suburban house; pack of houndeyes roaming down Elm Street
*Gargantua overturning a tractor as a farmer flees across a Nebraska field
*Icthyosaur materializing in public pool, right under a nose-pinching kid who just jumped off the high-dive

Eli: The countryside, the suburbs, all those hard-to-patrol places, got pretty much uninhabitable. People started crowding into the cities for protection.

*People clustered at a cyclone fence topped with razor wire, city skyline rising behind them; cops stand tensely on guard towers, blasting away at headcrab zombies outside the perimeter.

Eli: There was an illusion of safety, for a time. And then the Citadels appeared. It happened in a split second, all over the world. A chunk would vanish from the center of the city, to be replaced an instant later be one of these... headquarters for the Combine. Invasion central.

*City-center completely cored, buildings sheared off, an enormous pit appearing out of nowhere, and people falling into it
*The same view, with a Citadel now towering in the at the center of all

Eli: Say hello to your new masters.

*Cremators, striders, Combine machines pouring out of the Citadels into the city. Combine dropships tearing through the air.

Eli: Oh, we resisted.

*Tanks, soldiers, human army advancing on the Citadel
*The same troops reduced to ashes, completely obliterated

Eli: Earth put up a fight that lasted all of seven hours.

*A smoldering Pentagon-shaped pile of ashes

Eli: And then, one man who had seized about all the power a man can seize in a crisis, used that power to arrange our surrender..."

And that's about all they say about the 7 Hour war. That's from a discarded script in Raising the Bar. Pretty bitchin' if you ask me. Now, I know that they didn't want to do that kind of thing because it would ruin the idea that all the game characters assumed you weren't in anyplace wierd the whole time, but damn, I would've like to see that.

lol very nice, i felt i needed to say something, you put quite some effort into copying that up ;) I woulda loved to have seen that bit. Perhaps a deleted scenes like from Condition Zero valve? *hint hint*

NeLi, I can't read your posts without being in rythmic with your avatar... so distracting, so lovely. :D

GOD DAMN THAT AVATAR! evertime i look at it my brain gets stuck!

how do you get all the stuff from raising the bar?...is it from a book?

OMG LIKE WOMENSLOLOLOL

What a bunch of Nerds.

Lets hope for your sake that a real women never actually talks to you or you'll probably have a heart attack.

well, 7 hours war is about the surrender of all Human forces to the mighty Combines.

Automatic Kafka said:
OMG LIKE WOMENSLOLOLOL

What a bunch of Nerds.

Lets hope for your sake that a real women never actually talks to you or you'll probably have a heart attack.

ur bit of a prick, heh. or maybe just gay as a pic like that is distracting. can't say i stare at it for hours tho as i'm not that sad :p

Headwires said:
can't say i stare at it for hours tho as i'm not that sad :p
*stands hypnotized for hours and hours looking at the av* .. "Huh, what?"

My question is, why in the hell did the entire human forces listened to Breen and surrendered? I'm sure there were resistance in groups of army and kept fighting

Combine Hybrid said:
My question is, why in the hell did the entire human forces listened to Breen and surrendered? I'm sure there were resistance in groups of army and kept fighting

Most of Earths armies were annihilated though. Our tech is inferior to theirs, (the combine) so any big assault on them with our own tech would probably be suicide. THat's why there's only resistance organisations left.

Greatgat said:
Quoted for emphasis.

Anyway, I read in Raising the Bar they wanted to have Dr. Eli run a slideshow for you explaining the events of the 7 Hour War.

Something...like...THIS!

"Eli powers up the slide projector. A white image flashes on the wall of his room, where he has hung a white sheet.

Eli: Let's see now... where does this start?

The following images appear as he speaks:
*Aerial view of Black Mesa
*Inbound train
*Test Chamber

Eli: Black Mesa. Let's not dwell on that. Nobody's blaming you. We all have to accept some responsibility... what matters is what we do next. I'll get to that. After the disaster, well... let's just say, the ripples keep spreading.

The next few scenes have the feel of Norman Rockwell in Hell:
*Headcrabs leaping onto shoppers from supermarket shelves
*Bullsuid chasing a family from a suburban house; pack of houndeyes roaming down Elm Street
*Gargantua overturning a tractor as a farmer flees across a Nebraska field
*Icthyosaur materializing in public pool, right under a nose-pinching kid who just jumped off the high-dive

Eli: The countryside, the suburbs, all those hard-to-patrol places, got pretty much uninhabitable. People started crowding into the cities for protection.

*People clustered at a cyclone fence topped with razor wire, city skyline rising behind them; cops stand tensely on guard towers, blasting away at headcrab zombies outside the perimeter.

Eli: There was an illusion of safety, for a time. And then the Citadels appeared. It happened in a split second, all over the world. A chunk would vanish from the center of the city, to be replaced an instant later be one of these... headquarters for the Combine. Invasion central.

*City-center completely cored, buildings sheared off, an enormous pit appearing out of nowhere, and people falling into it
*The same view, with a Citadel now towering in the at the center of all

Eli: Say hello to your new masters.

*Cremators, striders, Combine machines pouring out of the Citadels into the city. Combine dropships tearing through the air.

Eli: Oh, we resisted.

*Tanks, soldiers, human army advancing on the Citadel
*The same troops reduced to ashes, completely obliterated

Eli: Earth put up a fight that lasted all of seven hours.

*A smoldering Pentagon-shaped pile of ashes

Eli: And then, one man who had seized about all the power a man can seize in a crisis, used that power to arrange our surrender..."

And that's about all they say about the 7 Hour war. That's from a discarded script in Raising the Bar. Pretty bitchin' if you ask me. Now, I know that they didn't want to do that kind of thing because it would ruin the idea that all the game characters assumed you weren't in anyplace wierd the whole time, but damn, I would've like to see that.

one thing that I heard is that book hav storilynes that were not used in the final storyline like that alyx was not the real daughter of Eli and stuff, so all that thing that hapenned after the black mesa incident was keeped or cuted of te final storyline?

<RJMC> said:
one thing that I heard is that book hav storilynes that were not used in the final storyline like that alyx was not the real daughter of Eli and stuff, so all that thing that hapenned after the black mesa incident was keeped or cuted of te final storyline?
Yes. We have to take some of what is shown in Raising the Bar with a pinch of salt, because certain characters and events detailed in the short stories or scripts just don't exist in Half-Life 2. However, given that Marc Laidlaw (the writer) has a basic battle plan for what is going on the Half-Life universe, I think it's safe to say that a lot of the background to what is happening in Half-Life is concrete. Details about the 7 hours war are amoung these, not to change because they only form background and are not necessary to change. The stuff that the player experiences in the games does change from its original plans: the characters and events of the games. This is because the writer doesn't have full control over the content of the game: though Marc is pretty accomplished with his storytelling, a in-game experience is best left up to a games development team to refine and such.

The basic outline for the Half-Life saga remains the same. The bits inbetween have to change to make the game a more enjoyable experience.

Isnt that Avatar from and advert where a woman is riding a mechanical bull in a car park lol.

and all this stuff here makes me want to buy raising the bar

Back