Adrian Shepard is a member/officer in the combine.

• Thread starter Mr.Magnetichead
  • Start date
Actually, after going through alot of Black Mesa and learning alot about what happen, Adrian may have realised that Gordon wasn't the bad guy afterall. So if Adrian met Gordon, I would expect them to be Allies instead of Enemies.

The theory that the combine are the gman's army is quite possible, and it would make sense. Why is the gman so interested in people who have a natural ability to survive against all odds? Possibly because he wants his own soldiers to have the same instinctive ability. It's possible that the reason (as has been speculated a lot in the threads about the flashbacky stuff at the end of the e3 video, and hinted at by valve) that Gordon has been in some sort of suspended animation\stasis is that the gman has been studying his physical and mental physiology and somehow incorporating his strenghts into the combine soldiers. It's possible that the gman is fighting a much bigger evil - something that hasn't yet been hinted on in the HL games, and is using what resources he can get his hands on from as many dimensions he has access to (which would explain why there are different races of aliens, each from their own dimension). Our dimension is just one of these, and the gman is just using Gordon (and just as possibly, Adrian) for his own plans' benefit.

It's also possible that this theory is true, but the combine aren't the gman's army - they might be something else, it's too early to tell. I still think it's not an unlikely theory that the gman has bigger fish to fry and is utilising beings from each dimension he has access to. He might turn out to be the good guy after all - while it may seem he's orchestrating a lot of destruction, he might just be preparing to defend one, or multiple dimensions, from a much bigger threat than we can possibly imagine. Or, he might just be a little bugger of a trouble maker :cheese:

Originally posted by DarkStar
I personally think that Valve took a long hard look at some of the stuff coming out of gearbox and said, "this is shit," just look at Blue Shift.

Why do you think we haven't seen any HL2 screenshots of OpFor's mysterious "Race X" aliens?

Because introducing a whole NEW race of aliens into the Black Mesa Incident was a stupid idea. Why didn't Gordon see any of these "Race X" aliens? The resonance cascade only opened a dimensional doorway to Xen, not everyfreakin' dimension in the universe. Oh, and the final boss of OpFor was THE lamest thing I've ever seen in my life. In general, I found OpFor to be not only derivative of HL1, copying many aspect of the original, but also a good example of lazy game design.
Gearbox's output wasn't "shit", although Blue Shift was a little bit... Well, it had it moments I suppose. OpFor was cool though in many ways it missed some potentially excellent opportunities. Race X were pretty rubbish though. And yes the final boss was awful (why can't I use my own weapons? Why?). But it wasn't really lazy. Blue Shift was a bit though.
If Shephard does come back though, it'll only be as an expansion as far as I can see.

I liked that big black dude with the M-249, he was cool. As was the welder. Shephard was cool, but Gordon has a special place in my heart.

no don t think shepard will fight against you, he was on rescue team and not on the killers team he tried to help scientist etc in opposing not to kill them so he must be an allied and not a combine soldier.

Originally posted by ulukai
no don t think shepard will fight against you, he was on rescue team and not on the killers team he tried to help scientist etc in opposing not to kill them so he must be an allied and not a combine soldier.

Lol, bullshit, there was one set of soldiers, they were sent in to 'clean up' in other words kill any survivors. The assasins were then sent in to kill the marines.

if you see the opposing intro you see many osprey and in hl how much marines was there.

I would like Adrian to be an ally fighting along side you like barney for some of the game. Would be cool running around the streets with him, laying down covering fire ect.

If they did this it would be good to see him get captured and you have to free him at the end of the game

How would you know it was Adrian? You never once saw his face.

By the way, Ulukai - are you the same dude who made DM_Bloom for UT2003?

Originally posted by El_Chi
Gearbox's output wasn't "shit", although Blue Shift was a little bit... Well, it had it moments I suppose. OpFor was cool though in many ways it missed some potentially excellent opportunities. Race X were pretty rubbish though. And yes the final boss was awful (why can't I use my own weapons? Why?). But it wasn't really lazy. Blue Shift was a bit though.
If Shephard does come back though, it'll only be as an expansion as far as I can see.
I actually liked Blue Shift better than Opposing Force. I thought OpFor dragged on a little too much and although cool, I think the new aliens don't fit in as someone else said. I liked how Blue Shift tied into Half-Life in the beginning, and how you see Gordon go by on the train. Blue Shift also had the best ending out of the three episodes, IMO.

Originally posted by CommieX
I actually liked Blue Shift better than Opposing Force.
Blue Shift also had the best ending out of the three episodes, IMO.
In terms of the first comment: Each to their own. IMHO, Blue Shift was far too short, with no new input in terms of weapons or beasties and only fleshed out the universe a fraction. Mods can do the exact same, if not better, and all for free. This costed money.
As for the second comment, I cannot believe you... Blue Shift's ending caused me to spasm with horror. How DARE anyone escape Black Mesa!? That ruins the ENTIRE self-contained nature of the game and its surrounding microcosmos.
"Ooh look people escaped and told their story to the papers and the world changed forever!" F*ck off.
That expletive wasn't directed at you but rather the folk at Gearbox who thought it'd be a good idea. And there wasn't a boss. Even though OpFor's boss was crap, at least it HAD one. At least it had some sense of final triumph.
Anyway, I'll be interested to see how or even if Valve dealt with that ending, seeing as Barney's back. Perhaps they'll completely disregard it, perhaps he (along with his fellow escapees) was captured on his way out. either of those'd be fine. It was an awful awful ending.

Originally posted by Logic
It's possible that the gman is fighting a much bigger evil - something that hasn't yet been hinted on in the HL games, and is using what resources he can get his hands on from as many dimensions he has access to (which would explain why there are different races of aliens, each from their own dimension). Our dimension is just one of these, and the gman is just using Gordon (and just as possibly, Adrian) for his own plans' benefit.

It's also possible that this theory is true, but the combine aren't the gman's army - they might be something else, it's too early to tell. I still think it's not an unlikely theory that the gman has bigger fish to fry and is utilising beings from each dimension he has access to. He might turn out to be the good guy after all - while it may seem he's orchestrating a lot of destruction, he might just be preparing to defend one, or multiple dimensions, from a much bigger threat than we can possibly imagine. Or, he might just be a little bugger of a trouble maker :cheese:

ur theory here is sorta reminding me of the X-Files.. remember the smoking man? early on in the series it was thought that the smoking man was just a sick, twisted individual doing crazy things for his own benefit.. but later in the series he reveals that he was trying to save the human race.. or "delay the invetiable" which was the alien race whiping out the humans.. hehe

anyway, if this were to be true, it be kinda cool and it would also kinda suck to have Adrian by ur side in HL2.. cool in the sense that he gives u cover fire.. etc. and sucking in the sense that there u are as Gordon Freeman.. but u would like to play as Adrian Shephard at some point as well..

wouldn't be cool if Valve allowed u to have the option to play either char in HL2, complete the game from one character's view, then go back and complete it with the character.. and have different endings for both (this would be good since HL2 is supposed to have a cliff hanger ending for HL3)

Come on guys, "pending further evaluation", ade has been chosen by big Mr. G for further testing.
Black mesa was a big set up to try to test a genetic experiment (aka gordon...) to see if hes capable of fighting off an invasion (or is that being an invasion into zen, so that g-mans bosses can claim zen). i think mabye the g man must already knew of zen, and hostile contact has been made, so the aliens try to protect themselves via a counter attack as black mesa is a threat (transporter research, weapons research etc)
While this happens, another 'hero' emerges (adrian sheppard) unnexpectedly. As he shows cunning, skill and resiliance, the g-man detains him for future possibilities of fighting the aliens. he will be tested further, by himself (away from gordons happenings?). Mabye infiltration of the combine to try to get to the core of the alien invasion. Gordon could be doing similar things, but via a different route, and working with different ppl.
Or maybe sheppard will be used to lead troops against the invasion due to his military knowledge (hence occuring later, maybe there will be all-out war in HL-3).
He'll be back anyway.

THen again, i sed mabye we attacked the aliens, but we know (apparently, according to pc gamer uk) that the vortigons (alien slave race) join the human resistance. mabyethey cut a deal with g-man, so that humans wouyld help liberate them. or maybe g-man cut a deal with them so theyd help resist aliens for their freedom.
Maybe neither side is in the right.

Anyway, ive rambled randomly enough now...Nurse!!!...no i dont want to take my pills....no! no!

..is it tea time?...

Anything theories that make Gord out to be anything other than human = Lame.

Back