Aftermath preview in the German pc action

S

SYNDROM

Aftermath preview in the German pc action *Update*

The German Pc Action magazine has a aftermath preview in his newest issue.
Infos in short form:

- Selling over steam only.
- Playtime 33% of Half-Life 2
- You play Gordon direct after the explosion

- Lost Coast Infos:

- Playtime: 20 - 40 minutes
- Release: may

Greetings from Germany

* Update: *

Official Statement

Cover:

6153.jpg

Aftermath Release: Fall (Not summer?)

33%? That sounds like... Blue Shift or Max Payne 2. Good enough for an expansion...

so its definately steam only,better get a credit card

AJ Rimmer said:
Good enough for an expansion...
A *cheap* Expansion. I really am quite cynical that if this is available over Steam only, it's going to be priced unfairly. They could charge full game price and we'd be left with no alternative.

Uppers:
i)If it's 33% of the original game, it won't take long for them to churn it out, so a Summer release seems realistic.
ii) If it's short, it's likely that we'll get another expansion in a very short time, perhaps focusing on a different time frame or character, perhaps a continuation from this expansion...

Downers:
i) If the entire of this "33%" is a complete narrative (i.e. escape from citadel - escape from City 17), it will probably come off rushed, incomplete and/or kind of pointless.
ii) By setting the action after a game that was already supposedly complete, they're already taking a risk: setting even less of that action after it, is an even bigger risk.
iii) We may get seriously ripped off.

If they put it on steam only, I will kill them all.

kupoartist said:
A *cheap* Expansion. I really am quite cynical that if this is available over Steam only, it's going to be priced unfairly. They could charge full game price and we'd be left with no alternative.

Uppers:
i)If it's 33% of the original game, it won't take long for them to churn it out, so a Summer release seems realistic.
ii) If it's short, it's likely that we'll get another expansion in a very short time, perhaps focusing on a different time frame or character, perhaps a continuation from this expansion...

Downers:
i) If the entire of this "33%" is a complete narrative (i.e. escape from citadel - escape from City 17), it will probably come off rushed, incomplete and/or kind of pointless.
ii) By setting the action after a game that was already supposedly complete, they're already taking a risk: setting even less of that action after it, is an even bigger risk.
iii) We may get seriously ripped off.
im worried about the price too,particurly where i live,i dont want to pay more than every other expansion,also i have a download limit on my broadand subscription,this expansion should take up a few gigs right?

cool, so about a 5 hour game right?
should be a blast. if i can get it-

I DON'T HAVE A CREDIT CARD! And im sure there are many just like me- WHAT ABOUT US?

Wow wow wow... what the **** is this Lost Coast thing? I'm lost...

jimbo118 said:
im worried about the price too,particurly where i live,i dont want to pay more than every other expansion,also i have a download limit on my broadand subscription,this expansion should take up a few gigs right?

An expansion pack will not be over one gig, i gaurantee you

Wow, Lost Coast in May?!?!?!?!?!?!? :D :D

Thanks a lot for the info, Syndrom. :)

Thank you. Over steam only? Fine by me.

33% playtime of half life 2 so thats about what - point insertion to Ravenholm? Sounds good to me, it is an expansion afterall.

Did they have any new screens!?

Kouler said:
An expansion pack will not be over one gig, i gaurantee you
thats good,stupid 3 gig download limit :sniper:

i'd be interested to see a poll on how many people bought hl2 through steam

SYNDROM said:
- Playtime 33% of Half-Life 2
That's would be about 3-4 hours for me. 'Course, you have to factor in how it'll probably be harder than most of Half-Life 2, so that number might jump up a bit.

- Lost Coast Infos:
- Release: may

Thank Jesus. That meshes with what Doug said on G4.. Still can't figure out where PCG UK got the Winter 2005 date.

dudes, doug said. "if that works, the next step would be a steam only release, free from any publishers and restrictions"
so this will still be released via the shops! FACT!

Sounds great up to the part i read Steam only. Dunno valve are smart people we will see what they do.

It's quite interesting that the expansion will start right after the explosion. That rules out the possibility of Half-Life 3 starting from where HL2 ended

so nobody cares that it is coming out in the shops even though you all thought is was steam only?
just check the pcgamer interveiw. and thats hat doug said, not pcgamer!

mad max 6 said:
so nobody cares that it is coming out in the shops even though you all thought is was steam only?

The preview tells something else
Apparently it's a Steam only release

you mean the pcgamer interview. if you mean the german mags preview then does it have a quote from valve. because the pcgamer previw has a quote from valve.
here it is again(from memory):
"if that works, the next step would be a steam only release, free from any publishers and restrictions"
it says NEXT step.

Frank said:
Wow wow wow... what the **** is this Lost Coast thing? I'm lost...
You aren't going to find any info under that rock you've been calling "home"

while im excited about more half life, does anyone else feel that this expansion in the long run is gonna be rather pointless story and plot wise?

Yes, but who cares - it's Half Life!

I'm more eagerly looking forward to Half Life 3 to be honest though. I want a war on the Combine's 'Home' Planet, lots of epic battle scenes with a scale more like Call Of Duty and Battlefield than the decimated streets of City 17. Action taking place above my head, and on the ground in front me - like a proper battle.

kupoartist said:
Downers:

By setting the action after a game that was already supposedly complete, they're already taking a risk: setting even less of that action after it, is an even bigger risk.
That's exactly my worries about Aftermath.

Gameplay-wise, it will probably be great... but it isn't doing the storyline any favours.

*G-man releases Gordon*
*Gordon runs around City17 for three more hours*
G-man: "Uh, hello again..." :|

Samon said:
33% playtime of half life 2 so thats about what - point insertion to Ravenholm? Sounds good to me, it is an expansion afterall.
I Suppose that makes sense... An expansion involving getting the hell out of City 17 will take around about the time it took to get the hell out of City 17 in Half-Life 2 itself ^^

In terms of chapters your estimation is incorrect... 5/6 of 13 isn't it? Though in literal time terms, the first chapters were far shorter than some of the later ones (Highway 17, Sandtraps, yes we're looking at you!), so I suppose you're right. I hope Valve make that 33% as long as they possibly can though ^^

mad max 6 said:
just check the pcgamer interveiw. and thats hat doug said, not pcgamer!
Exact Quote from the PC Gamer released last week:
"This fun will not be available in the shops"

I'm not sure what everyone means by it won't do the storyline any favours. Maybe something entirely unexpected happens and he is released without the Gman's concent? As for the length it would be entirely worth it if it was polished, ie not Blue Shift.

Max35 said:
I'm not sure what everyone means by it won't do the storyline any favours. Maybe something entirely unexpected happens and he is released without the Gman's concent? As for the length it would be entirely worth it if it was polished, ie not Blue Shift.
Blue Shift rocked!

It would be the funniest thing ever if Valve kept saying it was Steam only and you play as Gordon and on christmas suddenly HL2:Aftermath was on every shelf in video games shops and you play as someone new.

A Steam only release will encourage piracy in my opinion.

Even if Blue Shift was short, it was damn enjoyable.

If Aftermath is Blue Shift length, I sure hope we don't get a Blue Shift ending :/

Back