And they say Americans are stupid

Feath

Reaction score
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...0040102/od_afp/lifestyle_britain_040102181601

Quite frankly, I'm embarassed.

But still

Australia

“Up to one in five Australian adults cannot read well enough to use automatic teller machines or the Internet, an international study has found…The study, by the Organisation of Economic Co-operation and Development on adult literacy in 20 countries, found almost 20 per cent of Australian adults had inadequate literacy skills to be effective in everyday life.” - Sunday Herald Sun (>Melbourne), November 10, 2002

Scotland

“Two years ago, the Scottish Executive produced a comprehensive report identifying adult literacy and numeracy needs in Scotland. Although it identified up to 800,000 adults with very low skills, the executive set a target of helping at least 150,000 people before 2006” - The Herald (Glasgow), July 16, 2003

Northern Ireland

“Nearly 25% of adults in [Northern Ireland] have problems with everyday tasks like reading instructions on a medicine bottle, research has shown”. –BBC, April 14, 2003

Ireland

“The OECD survey which concluded, two years ago, that some 25 per cent of Irish adults are functionally illiterate and approximately another 20 per cent can perform only simple reading and writing tasks.” – Irish Times, September 10, 2002

Germany

“The real wake-up call came last year when an international test of 15-year-olds ranked Germany 21st out of 32 leading industrialized nations in reading, mathematics and science.” – CNN, August 6, 2003

“Low Education Rating Stuns Germany: American teenagers rank higher than the Germans in all three subjects (math, literacy and science)…30 percent of Germans dropout of university, roughly equivalent to Mexico…16% hold university degrees, compared with 35% in the United States.” John Schmid,International Herald Tribune, February 2, 2003

So, stop insulting Americans, the rest of us are still as bad.

OWNED!! OWNED!!!

At times like this I feel proud that I can read. Sad really ...

89% of Canadians couldn’t locate Iraq on a map, a higher “ignorance rate” than that of the United States.

81% of Canadians couldn’t locate Israel on a map

79% of Canadians couldn’t locate Afghanistan on a map

5% of Canadians couldn’t locate Canada on a map

People as a whole are stupid. Anyone who disagrees is in denial.

Just cause you cant find stupid poor ass countries, that your not at war with, doesnt make you stupid.

Hehehe.... I'm an asian guy living in america.....

not only that im about 6'4 and I wear glasses...

technically I should be one of the richest people in america.
After all, asians(Japanese, etc...) are smarter than most people. Smart people get paid more. Men that are tall get paid more. People who wear glasses get paid more. People in america make, on average, more than people in other parts of the world....

I think I'll make myself a comfortable living in a couple years........ working as a garbage man who does part time Chinese food delivery.

Feath said:
89% of Canadians couldn’t locate Iraq on a map, a higher “ignorance rate” than that of the United States.

Yeah, yeah...

well,

FEATH RHYMES WITH TEETH BIOTCH!!!

I can tell you one thing, people in California are stupid. I been in High School for one year here, and it is meeting place of ALL idiots. I didn't even try and got all As, sad really. But than again, California people elected Terminator for governor, what do you want?

90% of Britons couldn’t locate Iraq on a map, a figure lower than that of the United States

BHAHAHA, Americans still are stupid, so there :D
But again, it is so easy to manipulate statistics, that people should not take it seriously. Plus it comes from Moore, main manipulator on this planet.

89% of Canadians couldn?t locate Iraq on a map, a higher ?ignorance rate? than that of the United States.
90% of Britons couldn?t locate Iraq on a map, a figure lower than that of the United States

...wait, wtf?!?

edit: the guy who wrote that article must have been American.

I feel said for anyone who can't locate their OWN country on a map.

I'm not actually sure if I could be able to locate Iraq on the map. I have a reasonable idea of where it is but I'll probably end up pointing at Iran or something.

I had a friend who thought Africa was a country.

ductonius said:
Yeah, it rhymes up here in Canada. Quit being a hoser.

You seriously say "Feether" instead of "Feather"? That's really, really weird.

And what's a hoser?

Feath said:

:dozey:

Ye, here up in canada we say it feether, eh.

Wait, eh, lemme go turn up the heat in my igloo, it's freezin' in here, eh?[/steryotype]

We don't even say "eh" here, and I know how feather is pronounced.

Feath said:

And what's a hoser?

No, we say feather like Heather. But Feath is pronounced like teeth, just like wreath.

Tell me, in the US do you say wreath like "reth"?

well, I say "eh" sometimes. Its just like "huh"(americans) or "oy"(austrailian/bristish..i think)

imho, we canadians arent a whole lot brighter than them, we just think we are cause we know more about the US than they do about us.

ductonius said:
No, we say feather like Heather. But Feath is pronounced like teeth, just like wreath.

Tell me, in the US do you say wreath like "reth"?
I can see where he gets "feath" as "fehth," but in the US we say "wreath" as "reeth," not "reth".

"Fehth" doesn't sound as natural as "feeth," I agree, but, people always pronounce my name "shuzzer," when it's really "shoe zer" :)

I can see how some people might not know about the Dallas thing... :sleep: maybe...if they were having a bad day or something :sleep: ... because if I were a foreigner (from my POV..I'm in the US)...I might not know that Dallas is actually a city.

But then again.. I probably would..

The other stuff is completely rediculus...

We Americans have you all beat in something... Being fat gluttons of all kinds of resources!! Yay for us! ... :sleep:

Shuzer said:
I can see where he gets "feath" as "fehth," but in the US we say "wreath" as "reeth," not "reth".

"Fehth" doesn't sound as natural as "feeth," I agree, but, people always pronounce my name "shuzzer," when it's really "shoe zer" :)

Really?

Well too bad, it'll always be shuzzer to me.

Intelligence and stupidity doesn't change much, regardless of location.

After all, asians(Japanese, etc...) are smarter than most people.

Stupid stereotype. They do tend to work harder though.

phantomdesign said:
Intelligence and stupidity doesn't change much, regardless of location.

Stupid stereotype. They do tend to work harder though.

I think illegal Mexicans work harder.

Feath said:

i'm curious as to how geography is related to intelligence. Some science statistics on americans....

-Less than half of American adults understand that the Earth orbits the sun yearly

-Only about 25% of American adults got passing grades in a survey by the National Science Foundation of what people know about basic science and economics

-Only about 9% knew what a molecule was

-Only 21% could define DNA.

-Less than 1/2 knew that the Earth orbits the sun annually

-A 10-point quiz on economics showed that only 22% could correctly answer 7 or more of the questions

anyways, heres the link http://www.mdcbowen.org/p2/rm/stupidit.htm

Stupidity is probably the wrong term. Ignorance is a better term. Americans are often protrayed as being more ignorant than other people. It's not always true.

Feath said:
Stupidity is probably the wrong term. Ignorance is a better term. Americans are often protrayed as being more ignorant than other people. It's not always true.

yes, i suppose ignorance could be it. I'm not here to pick a fight nor do i want one, i'm just saying that statistics could probably show a lot of bad things about any country. Theres always a downfall somewhere.

Back