Another Doom 3 Review: 96/100

SFLUFAN

Reaction score
PC Powerplay (a popular australian games magazine)

"No mention of "lame attempts at humour", the reviewer said it "provides a much needed comic touch" amidst the tension. Reviewer seems very impressed with the level design, saying that it's exceptionally well-done for a space station."

Some worthy quotes:
"DOOM 3 is akin to a heavenly experience."

"The bar has been genuinely raised for the first time since Half-Life. DOOM 3 is the best first-person shooter ever made."

"The DOOM 3 shotgun - and believe me when I say I don't speak lightly here - is perhaps the single greatest thing ever."

"DOOM 3 is an exemplary case of just how an exquisitely balanced weapon economy can mine greater depth from a seemingly simple situation."

"Shadowy figures dart across your periphery vision, crazed voices call out for you to follow, satanic runes pulse along the walls, the screen distorts or drips blood and you'll surrender control for a moment all in an effort to unsettle you and sustain an ever present sense of menace."

"... the tale is predominantly told via voice and video links with the other main characters, while the finer details are further fleshed out through accessing emails and video and audio logs on the PDAs of the dead or missing."

"Early on you find an email from a guy complaining that an ordered shipment of jackhammers turned out to be chainsaws instead. 'What the hell were they thinking?' he writes. 'Chainsaws serve no purpose on Mars!' "

Final Verdict:
For
- Gripping atmosphere
- Superb level design
- Perfect weapon balance
- Awesome graphics

Against
- We honestly can't think of any

Overall
A frighteningly intense experience and an absolute masterpiece of FPS design.

Score:
96/100

Yeah, managed to get ahold of 'a copy', so read the whole thing in full. This review doesn't really mention anything about the lame humour attempts in the game, so we're seeing some conflicting opinions about this aspect - there's supposed to be one section where you ride an elevator; the doors open to reveal a room covered in blood and flesh, followed by the lift voice chirping 'Have a nice day!'. Heh.

Woa!

96%...that's good stuff coming from powerplay. HL2 has BIG competition now from D3, this is getting more exciting day by day!

SFLUFAN said:
"The DOOM 3 shotgun - and believe me when I say I don't speak lightly here - is perhaps the single greatest thing ever."

That is all I wanted to hear \o/

Dammit, just when I thought I couldn't get any more hyped up for this thing. That chainsaw thing is funny though. :D

[EDIT]: Still no mention of MP though?

Can't wait to get my Chainsaw!! It's gonna be a great August.

KagePrototype said:
[EDIT]: Still no mention of MP though?
There was a small box explaining how the multiplayer is for 4 people only, and how you can use light to your advantage by hiding in it. It also says that you can switch lights off or close shutters to restrict light amounts, which certainly could be interesting..

Abom said:
There was a small box explaining how the multiplayer is for 4 people only, and how you can use light to your advantage by hiding in it. It also says that you can switch lights off or close shutters to restrict light amounts, which certainly could be interesting..

ahh..4 players. :(

Well, I think it's time for those forgotten LAN parties.

Abom said:

Sweet. :thumbs:

Heh, just realised I said you can hide in light. I meant shadows, obviously ;)

The German 'PC Games' magazine is out with a Doom 3 review, as well. It has screenshots of unseen enemies, like maggots, the vagary, a full shot of a mancubus and a possible shot of a baron of hell.

I can't wait to get my hands on this game. All these great reviews coming out are raising my expectations for this game more and more.

Abom, are there any internet images of the Barons Of Hell in Doom3?

there's supposed to be one section where you ride an elevator; the doors open to reveal a room covered in blood and flesh, followed by the lift voice chirping 'Have a nice day!'.

Heheheheheheheh, now that is funny :)

Razor said:
Abom, are there any internet images of the Barons Of Hell in Doom3?
Nope, but it'll most probably look similar to the Hell Knight. Apparently the shot in the PC Games mag that shows the possible Baron is of a Hell Knight-looking monster with tattoos of pentagrams and stuff on it, but it's been mentioned that the demons in hell will look different to those on the mars space station, so it could just be an actual Hell Knight.

Abom said:
Heh, just realised I said you can hide in light. I meant shadows, obviously ;)

The German 'PC Games' magazine is out with a Doom 3 review, as well. It has screenshots of unseen enemies, like maggots, the vagary, a full shot of a mancubus and a possible shot of a baron of hell.

And the score?

Doom 3 looks great, too bad I'm on vacation for three weeks when it comes out. I'll pre-order it and find it in the mail when I get home again ^^

"The bar has been genuinely raised for the first time since Half-Life. DOOM 3 is the best first-person shooter ever made."

No shit, since it stole everything that was great about Half-Life! [/flamebait] ;)

Gee, maybe I was wrong saying DOOM3 won't be all that :|

It looks to be the HL killer :p Maybe I'll buy it when it comes out!

PvtRyan said:
And the score?
They weren't allowed to give it a full score yet, so they'll give a proper one next issue. However, they did rate the subcategories, and they were:

Graphics: 94%
Sound: 90%
Controls: 95%

Abom said:
They weren't allowed to give it a full score yet, so they'll give a proper one next issue. However, they did rate the subcategories, and they were:

Graphics: 94%
Sound: 90%
Controls: 95%

I wonder how HL2 will get...I mean, it looks more gripping. So I wonder if they'll have to do Gfx: 97%, Sound: 96% and Controls: 98% :p

Actually I'm predicting that neither of these games will be GOTY.

I think we'll see a "dark horse" win this year. Something like Rome: Total War or LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth or VtM: Bloodlines.

Wow. Looks like this will be the new LAN torney FPS. Last time we did that was with Quake 2! Those were the days.

"QUAD DAMAGE!"

/me dusts off his trusty rocket launcher & rail gun

:devil:

SubKamran said:
I wonder how HL2 will get...I mean, it looks more gripping. So I wonder if they'll have to do Gfx: 97%, Sound: 96% and Controls: 98% :p

Graphics: 88%
sound: 90%
controls: 93%

Trust me, that's what HL2 will get.

Oh, and FPS aren't so lucky at GOTY awards, except sometimes. It's always a gamecube game or RTS that packs away with the most.

:eek: we've been beaten for the first time in 5 or so years, boys. hide!

my favourite game - the cardigans

lans said:
Graphics: 88%
sound: 90%
controls: 93%

Trust me, that's what HL2 will get.

Oh, and FPS aren't so lucky at GOTY awards, except sometimes. It's always a gamecube game or RTS that packs away with the most.
Doom3:Gameplay:93%
Half-Life2:Gameplay:99%

HL2 looks to have THE most engaging gameplay i have ever seen.

Wow thats a good score.. we can only hope that half life 2 ownz it.

I agree with
adulus said:
HL2 looks to have THE most engaging gameplay i have ever seen.

I give D3 gameplay 98% while HL2 98.5% :E

I care nothing about how the scores of the two games compare. I will buy them both and love them!

Previous ID games have done well in reviews, but not this well. This could be ID's best game since Doom, it could even be the best game they have ever done. :O

blahblahblah said:
Previous ID games have done well in reviews, but not this well. This could be ID's best game since Doom, it could even be the best game they have ever done. :O

I'm not doubting it by how great the media looks.

One more great review should have me convinced this is the best FPS since Half-Life. :)

took the world bloody long enough. 6 years for crap's sake.

and then Half-Life2 is going to come along and blow everything away for the next 6 years.

It may be the greatest FPS ever made, but its only a placeholder until HL2 is released :)

actually abom, I think you had it when you said hide in the light, because people are going to jack up powerstrip so high they wont have shadows.

PvtRyan said:
No shit, since it stole everything that was great about Half-Life! [/flamebait] ;)
I hope you not being serious. :| And, I think the multiplay with be fantastic. It will be great fun playing with my dad and some other people from the forums. :E I think then next Splinter Cell should dump their engine, and use Doom 3's. :p

SFLUFAN said:
"Early on you find an email from a guy complaining that an ordered shipment of jackhammers turned out to be chainsaws instead. 'What the hell were they thinking?' he writes. 'Chainsaws serve no purpose on Mars!' "

yay now everyone will stop starting threads about why theres chainsaws on Mars in the Doom forums :D

The MP will be fun for a few weeks until ppl start cheating by raising up their gamma on their PC.

Back