Another Doom 3 Review: 96/100

Hudson said:
actually abom, I think you had it when you said hide in the light, because people are going to jack up powerstrip so high they wont have shadows.

They are stencil shadows. Won't work. hehe.

Oh my god, I'm so happy. It's looking good so far, two reviews 94/100 and 96/100 :D
Must get more!

hmmm I'm a bit skeptical of advance reviews ...obviously there would have to be some sort of agreement between the developer and any magazine that wanted an "exclusive" review ...you dont get something for nothing

Apollo 13 said:
The MP will be fun for a few weeks until ppl start cheating by raising up their gamma on their PC.
Ya, too bad that will do jack crap. :rolleyes:

CptStern said:
hmmm I'm a bit skeptical of advance reviews ...obviously there would have to be some sort of agreement between the developer and any magazine that wanted an "exclusive" review ...you dont get something for nothing

I've read several "advanced reviews" where a game gets roasted and toasted. Nothing like a 50% or whatever, but I have seen several 70-75% scores before on various "advanced reviews." Anyways, they would have serious credibliity problems if every other site gave Doom 3 a failing grade.

At the very least, it appears that Doom 3 is a very competent game. Though, it is looking like it is so much more than a typical competent game.

adulus said:
Doom3:Gameplay:93%
Half-Life2:Gameplay:99%

HL2 looks to have THE most engaging gameplay i have ever seen.

How do you know that? you have'nt played either of them retail.

If you want a game that looks to offers THE most engaging gameplay then you should add STALKER on the end of your sentance instead.

Go doom3 woo woo! cant wait to buy this damn game.

[edited something]

Abom said:
There was a small box explaining how the multiplayer is for 4 people only, and how you can use light to your advantage by hiding in it. It also says that you can switch lights off or close shutters to restrict light amounts, which certainly could be interesting..

I seem to remember a lot of Doom 3 fans coming on here saying that this wasn't true.

So it is true? Hmm.

Feath said:
I seem to remember a lot of Doom 3 fans coming on here saying that this wasn't true.

So it is true? Hmm.

How would the fans know if they haven't played the game yet?

For people that keep saying that you can cheat in mp by cranking your gamma, it won't work. As blahblahblah already mentioned, Doom 3 will use stencil shadows, or "true black" shadows. Gamma will only effect what you can already see, it won't make things in shadows more visible.

blahblahblah said:
I've read several "advanced reviews" where a game gets roasted and toasted. Nothing like a 50% or whatever, but I have seen several 70-75% scores before on various "advanced reviews." Anyways, they would have serious credibliity problems if every other site gave Doom 3 a failing grade.

At the very least, it appears that Doom 3 is a very competent game. Though, it is looking like it is so much more than a typical competent game.

I agree, it's from ID after all so it must be quality ...but I still think the advanced reviews are a bit more inflated in the final score

Abom said:
there's supposed to be one section where you ride an elevator; the doors open to reveal a room covered in blood and flesh, followed by the lift voice chirping 'Have a nice day!'. Heh.

My god, that one sentence has raised my hype even more for this game. :borg:

CptStern said:
I agree, it's from ID after all so it must be quality ...but I still think the advanced reviews are a bit more inflated in the final score

We shall see, but many of us will be getting the game within the first day it's out, so the advance reviews are all we have to go by... along with lots of hype.

Alig said:
How do you know that? you have'nt played either of them retail.

If you want a game that looks to offers THE most engaging gameplay then you should add STALKER on the end of your sentance instead.

and HOW do you know that? ;)

Basically, none of us has the right to say which game has more to offer untill we play either of these games. In the war of HL2, D3 and stalker it is us the gamers who win so tis' great to be a gamer!

Robert Duffy posted a new plan update.

http://www.webdog.org/

Nothing really new, but explains some of the system requirements better and talks about what tools they used for the creation of Doom 3.

blahblahblah said:

Nothing really new, but explains some of the system requirements better and talks about what tools they used for the creation of Doom 3.

Thanks blah.

When they're talking about 512/256/128/64 mb video cards - are they refering to the DDR ram or the memory bit-interface? (as in 128 bit memory interface)

lans said:
Thanks blah.

When they're talking about 512/256/128/64 mb video cards - are they refering to the DDR ram or the memory bit-interface? (as in 128 bit memory interface)
The DDR RAM.

Abom said:
The DDR RAM.

hmm..so let's say for example I have a 9800 pro 128 mb - I won't be able to play on high?

blahblahblah said:

Nice, looks like i'll be able to run D3 on about Medium!

lans said:
hmm..so let's say for example I have a 9800 pro 128 mb - I won't be able to play on high?
You'll be able to, but you'll take a heavy FPS knock since the textures being rendered will take more memory than what your GPU can offer.

StardogChampion said:
Nice, looks like i'll be able to run D3 on about Medium!

Same here. I guess my days of ultra high whoring are over..
/me cries

Make space for me in the medium clan...;(

It really sounds like it won't be that much of a noticeable difference in quality... it's not like Far Cry where lowering the detail removes pretty much all effects and makes it look like ass.

I hope, that, just for ONCE, a game actually auto-detects PROPERLY. I'd rather have D3 know exactly what my system should be set at for optimal performance than having to tinker with it myself..

Abom said:
Without any RPG elements, yeah.

This bit:-

"... the tale is predominantly told via voice and video links with the other main characters, while the finer details are further fleshed out through accessing emails and video and audio logs on the PDAs of the dead or missing."

Kadayi Polokov said:

"... the tale is predominantly told via voice and video links with the other main characters, while the finer details are further fleshed out through accessing emails and video and audio logs on the PDAs of the dead or missing."
Yup, that's a ripoff and a half. Boycott Doom 3!

Come on, seriously - can you blame them for trying to create a deeper atmosphere by relating to the fact that the crew on the ship actually did something, had lives, rather than just being stationed there until a hell invasion occured?

Shuzer said:
How would the fans know if they haven't played the game yet?

Should've been clearer, I was referring to the 4 player multiplayer.

Well, I remember a number of trolls coming onto the Half-Life 2 Discussion forum saying how Doom 3 is going to be better than Half-Life 2. And they gave their silly reasons. And someone on the Half-Life 2 side says "At least Half-Life 2 will have suppost for more people in multiplayer".

I remember someone replying (Sheepfactory, I think it was) that Carmack had disproved this rumour, and there will be support for 16/32 players.

And now it turns out that Doom 3 multiplayer WILL be limited to 4 players. I hate it when people make stuff up to back up their arguments.

Feath said:
Should've been clearer, I was referring to the 4 player multiplayer.

Well, I remember a number of trolls coming onto the Half-Life 2 Discussion forum saying how Doom 3 is going to be better than Half-Life 2. And they gave their silly reasons. And someone on the Half-Life 2 side says "At least Half-Life 2 will have suppost for more people in multiplayer".

I remember someone replying (Sheepfactory, I think it was) that Carmack had disproved this rumour, and there will be support for 16/32 players.

And now it turns out that Doom 3 multiplayer WILL be limited to 4 players. I hate it when people make stuff up to back up their arguments.
There's support for 16/32 in mods and such, but the default DM will only allow 4 players maximum.

Kadayi Polokov said:

There have been a lot of FPS games where players have been given additional information from memos, e-mails, PDAs, notes written in blood, etc. System Shock wasn't the first. Anyways, Doom 3 takes place in a high-tech research facility, so it makes sense to get information this way.

lans said:
and HOW do you know that? ;)

Basically, none of us has the right to say which game has more to offer untill we play either of these games. In the war of HL2, D3 and stalker it is us the gamers who win so tis' great to be a gamer!

Thats why i put "looks to have..." because down on paper STALKER sounds like the best game in the world bar none. ;)

Alig said:
Thats why i put "looks to have..." because down on paper STALKER sounds like the best game in the world bar none. ;)

How? I read the storyline. :|

SubKamran said:
How? I read the storyline. :|

Nah i've seen all the info on STALKER availiable, noted it down in my head. Took all the info on HL2, noted it down and made up my decision.

A story line does'nt make a game, do you honestly think HL1 had a good story?

I just pre-ordered my copy yesterday. I was feeling a little 'iffy' about it but DIII seems to be getting more and more praise each day..

SFLUFAN said:
PC Powerplay (a popular australian games magazine)

"No mention of "lame attempts at humour", the reviewer said it "provides a much needed comic touch" amidst the tension. Reviewer seems very impressed with the level design, saying that it's exceptionally well-done for a space station."

Some worthy quotes:
"DOOM 3 is akin to a heavenly experience."

"The bar has been genuinely raised for the first time since Half-Life. DOOM 3 is the best first-person shooter ever made."

"The DOOM 3 shotgun - and believe me when I say I don't speak lightly here - is perhaps the single greatest thing ever."

"DOOM 3 is an exemplary case of just how an exquisitely balanced weapon economy can mine greater depth from a seemingly simple situation."

"Shadowy figures dart across your periphery vision, crazed voices call out for you to follow, satanic runes pulse along the walls, the screen distorts or drips blood and you'll surrender control for a moment all in an effort to unsettle you and sustain an ever present sense of menace."

"Early on you find an email from a guy complaining that an ordered shipment of jackhammers turned out to be chainsaws instead. 'What the hell were they thinking?' he writes. 'Chainsaws serve no purpose on Mars!' "

Final Verdict:
For
- Gripping atmosphere
- Superb level design
- Perfect weapon balance
- Awesome graphics

Against
- We honestly can't think of any

Overall
A frighteningly intense experience and an absolute masterpiece of FPS design.

Score:
96/100
What do you mean, no downside!!?? I know one!!!
Against:
-The game ends

Do you think D3 will have outdoor areas?? Maybe like going into a space suit to get from spaceship to spaceship, that would be fun.

Also about bright outdoor areas in the engine... If you've played Thief 3, the dynamic lighting makes brightly lit places look FULLBRIGHT and pretty unrealistic. Do you think the D3 engine is capable of maps set during the day? Obviously it will be but i wonder how good/bad they will look.

riTuaL said:
I just pre-ordered my copy yesterday. I was feeling a little 'iffy' about it but DIII seems to be getting more and more praise each day..

How can you doubt?

Every pc gamer HAS to experience Doom 3. Good or bad, it's a game everyone should play - if only to see how it compares to the original.

Doom was the first game to really kick ass for the pc. Never before had a game been so damn meaty :)

HL2 will be great, quite possibly the better game overall. However, I doubt that any element in HL2 will be half as satisfying as squeezing off a shell from the Doom shotgun (assuming they've done the original gun some justice - which it sounds like they have :) )

BOOM! In your face demon!!! Oh yes \o/

Back