Anyone else doing final PC preperations?

Alientank

Reaction score
I formatted mine with SP2 a few weeks ago, everything updated, no spyware, no viruses, drivers up to date, I took a can of compressed air to the inside of my case, everything is dust free, and the wiring is all very neat now and zip-tied together neatly. I just need to take some windex to my monitor and a cloth to clean it all off and make it spot free, and take a wet cloth around my PC desk here to clean it all including the mouse and keyboard, and I should be set :D

You?

Why are you using a game as an excuse for things you should have done/be doing anyway?

Yup, pretty much the same.
Got me a last minute RAM upgrade, new fans, and formatted. Now its crystal clean babeh!! :D

You do know you still have a couple of days left. I reformatted due to couple of probs etc. but im gonna defrag soon too plus clear a load of crap thats been growing in my PC. I think the worst virus in the world is the user filling his computer full of crap and deleting stuff or maybe that's just me but meh.

Lanthanide said:
Why are you using a game as an excuse for things you should have done/be doing anyway?

Eh my PC is always well maintained, I just decided a few weeks ago with HL2 impending that it would be best to do a reformat with an XP Pro install with SP2 integrated into the installation. I have kept the wiring neat but not as neat as it is now, and I clean out my case of all dust, every few months, I had done it just a few weeks ago however thought might as well do it again, it's just a mental feeling knowing everything is running happy and healthy and up to date. My desk was due for a cleaning anyways. Just a few bits of dirt on it to wipe off.

I'm getting my current HDD ready to be backed up tomorrow (Monday) so we transfer stuff to an Athlon 64 system. However it is a definite that Half-Life 2 will be running on my Athlon XP 2800+ which considering the performance of CSS, should more then handle it.

I got new headphones on friday, plus an extra case fan. I'm getting a new monitor on monday.

Cleaned up the Windows partition two days ago and did the usual maintenance. It's stuff I do regularly anyway, though. Upgraded my detonator drivers to the newest version.

I havent done much with mine,, just some regular spyware and virus scans + updates from microsoft.

But im gonna overclock my 6800 for this game.

I have cleaned my keyboard (and I mean cleaned. I prised off the keys and everything), cleaned my mouse, cleaned my desk, and i'm going to tidy my room.

Inside, I deleted a load of useless stuff, defragged a week ago (might do it again), scandisk, regcleaner, norton, driver updates for my 9800pro (4.12 betas), all the stuff from system mechanic, the works.

I am probably going to open up my comp and hoover it out, check the fans and all that.

On the day, I will close all unneccesary processes (I made a list of the neseccary ones), and run atitool to my preset overclocking defaults. That should do me.

The only thing I didn't do was a full reinstall, because that would have really messed up my collection of stuff. But I think what I did (and will do) works out about the same in terms of performance.

i wish i could update my pc i dont have money but it runs games fine

PC Specs: Intel celeron 2ghz
384 pc2100 ddr ram
80gb hd
pny geforce fx 5200
intigrated sound

Alientank said:
Eh my PC is always well maintained, I just decided a few weeks ago with HL2 impending that it would be best to do a reformat with an XP Pro install with SP2 integrated into the installation. I have kept the wiring neat but not as neat as it is now, and I clean out my case of all dust, every few months, I had done it just a few weeks ago however thought might as well do it again, it's just a mental feeling knowing everything is running happy and healthy and up to date. My desk was due for a cleaning anyways. Just a few bits of dirt on it to wipe off.
The compressed air is likely to do more damage than the dust could - putting pressure onto capacitors and the other sticky-up bits that could snap or get bent, or if you get the liquid air on them and cool them right down could lead to weird internal structure problems or cracking (of the PCB in particular).

The dust doesn't really do anything, unlesss your mobo etc is getting -really- hot in which case it'd catch on fire (but we're talking at least 100°C here) which should never happen - CPU, maybe (hope not), mobo, no.

im not risking any tweaking

n whats the point ocing a 6800 ...........

i mean bloody hell its already top of the range

I'd like to get some more RAM, but after everything I'm buying on Tuesday I doubt I'll have enough cash. Instead I'll be running a virus scan, defragging and everything else needed to make my computer run super spiffy.

I uninstalled sp2...hated it, had too many things go wrong and worked really crap-went back to sp1. Anyone else have probs with sp2?

scarecrow1 said:
I uninstalled sp2...hated it, had too many things go wrong and worked really crap-went back to sp1. Anyone else have probs with sp2?
Could you give me 1 major reason why Service Pack 2 is so bad? What is the worst thing about it, specifically?

Good someone started a thread like this. I just want to see what programs people are using.

I use Symantec Antivirus, Ad-Aware, Spybot, Ace Utilities and Tweak XP. What more do I need?

I've been thinking about a firewall but I don't know which one. Plus doesn't Antivirus protect agains intrusions?

No upgrades before Tuesday. I won't be playing HL2 until I buy my new PC in December-- which will include an FX55 and a Radeon X850 XT PE for PCI-Express. The wait will suck, but when I finally play the game, it will be running on the fastest consumer PC in the world. :)

Wow. You guys sound as though HL2 is the only PC game to come after since the birth of pc.

eiric said:
I've been thinking about a firewall but I don't know which one. Plus doesn't Antivirus protect agains intrusions?

ZoneAlarm is a good firewall and it's free. There are also many commercial alternatives.

And no, Antivirus won't protect you against that. Without a firewall, you're still largely exposed.

eiric said:
Good someone started a thread like this. I just want to see what programs people are using.

I use Symantec Antivirus, Ad-Aware, Spybot, Ace Utilities and Tweak XP. What more do I need?

ZoneAlarm is a good free firewall.

I also use Norton AV, Ad-aware, Spybot, and Tweak XP. I also use iolo System Mechanic, which is quite good. Pity it's expensive, unless you... come across... a reg key.

jabberwock95 said:
ZoneAlarm is a good free firewall.

I also use Norton AV, Ad-aware, Spybot, and Tweak XP. I also use iolo System Mechanic, which is quite good. Pity it's expensive, unless you... come across... a reg key.
Is Zone Alarm a free download? I went to their site and it looks like I have to pay. :(

ZoneAlarm is a free download, and has a commercial version too.

SystemMechanic? Hmm, haven't heard of that before.

Never put cleaning fluids on any type of monitor!

Use a very dry cloth (lint free) and just a "TAD" of water, so little that you don't even need to dry the screen it evaporates right after you wipe it.

Cleaning fluids will eat at your screen given time.

Well my Dad decided to use it just after we got the freakin' monitor :(

Only used it once after. Looks fine :D

silverstealth89 said:
um alienwares dont need tweaking hehe :cheers: :cheers:

uhh alienwares are still Pcs, made up of every day avialabe parts.

In fact alienware sucks, they rip people off so much (all of those "Uber" computer markers do) but if some one was dead set on getting one, do something smart and get a falcon northwest at least.

Oh and alienwares do need tweaking, what do you think they magically clean themselves out and keep your harddrive clean of usesless files etc? :rolleyes:

zone alarm is pretty pants, well i found it to be pants anyway. i use sygate... which actually is free. and kaspersky anti virus.

my pc is still in pretty good shape since my last format so i havent done it again.

just downloaded the 4.12 ati beta drivers

and im going to whip open diskeeper9 and defrag my pc again tommorow

apart from that.... all set :E

I just downloaded Zone Alarm for free on their site. Now, why do I keep getting pop ups from Zone Alarm of whether to "Allow" or "Deny" something that is trying to connect or whatever. It gets annoying. Is this needed? Can I turn that off?

Alientank said:
I formatted mine with SP2 a few weeks ago, everything updated, no spyware, no viruses, drivers up to date, I took a can of compressed air to the inside of my case, everything is dust free, and the wiring is all very neat now and zip-tied together neatly. I just need to take some windex to my monitor and a cloth to clean it all off and make it spot free, and take a wet cloth around my PC desk here to clean it all including the mouse and keyboard, and I should be set :D

You?

Whats that!!? Dust slows your PC down...lol :p

Anyway nah i aint done shit to my PC and dont intend too...although i did format it last night because it has'nt been formatted in about 7 months :O..my PC has speeded up quite a LOT! oh and i cleaned out the two front fans on my case...the other 5 can kiss my arse for now. Only because my internet was off for like ****ing 2 days (****ing NTL) and i had nothing to do except watch shite Sky TV.

shapeshifter said:
uhh alienwares are still Pcs, made up of every day avialabe parts.

In fact alienware sucks, they rip people off so much (all of those "Uber" computer markers do) but if some one was dead set on getting one, do something smart and get a falcon northwest at least.

Oh and alienwares do need tweaking, what do you think they magically clean themselves out and keep your harddrive clean of usesless files etc? :rolleyes:

actually man for one if you sit one day and just configure your PC to do alot of automated stuff it will clean up useless files. and btw falcon also rips off so its not only alienware. oh and second i was being partially sarcastic about ht eno tweaking. its just htat alienware has really good upgrades that rarely need changing and are optimized for Alienware

Prepped and ready to get wet!

Deleted all my unwanted crap....upgraded to a 6800GT over clocked to 370/1100 mgz mated to a p4c800-e deluxe Asus board running a P4HT 2.8 clocked to 3.0 ghz with two banks of corsair xms memory at 256 mb each running at 880 mgz.....oh and have recentley upgraded to an iiyama prolite E431S lcd screen(16ms)....this game better cut the mustard!

I formatted yesterday..I'm ready to go pretty much.

I installed all sorts of optimizers and spyware removal tools, put some more RAM in my computer to have a total of 1024 mb, cleaned out my computer, went through My Documents and cleaned out all the old stuff I didnt need, got new drivers for almost everything I have, defragged, etc.

Only thing I didn't do was install SP2(again that is-I installed it a while ago then spent 4 hours on the phone with MS to get it fixed, SP1 is good enough for me since I already have anti-virus programs.).

Back