Anyone else turned off by screaming zombies?

Do you find the zombie's screams disturbing?

• Yeah, it bothers me a little.

Votes: 41 19.9%
  • Doesn't really matter to me.

Votes: 20 9.7%
  • No, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Votes: 48 23.3%
  • Heck no - the screams make my nipples hard. (You sick bastard! ;))

Votes: 97 47.1%

• Total voters

oopsmaster

Reaction score
I finally got around to downloading the 2004 E3 video a while ago (hey, the thing is huge!) and watched it a few times. I found it very good and revealing except for the fact that the zombies screamed bloody murder when they were set on fire.

Somehow I found this very off-putting. I don't want my zombies to start screaming in pain in a very human sounding "Aaaaaaaaagh! AAAAAAAAAGH! ...... AAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHH!!!! OH GOD NO!!!!

Call me crazy, but I don't really like the sound of drawn-out, stark human agony. I'm kind of reminded of a cut scene from Bruce Almighty where Jim Carey (as God) sets the anchorman's hair on fire. It's funny up until his screams get horrifying. :p

It's not like I'm Mr.Sensitive and get all emotional over blood, gore, and killing (isn't media desensitization great? ;)), but I'm disturbed by the idea that I'm burning the poor guy alive and he's just a hapless victim, not a real monster or "bad guy" out to kill me.

I wonder if there'd be a way to change the sound or something.... I liked the old zombie growling noise better.

I dunno, I'd probably just shoot em right in the middle of the screaming to stop the annoying sound.

quite the contrary my friend. i infact get a raging boner every time i watch the e32k4 vids with screaming zombies.

guise said:
quite the contrary my friend. i infact get a raging boner every time i watch the e32k4 vids with screaming zombies.
Great! I just happen to have a poll option perfect for you! :E :LOL:

Boy, I am on a spam fest right now. I lost count of how many times I have posted today.

I don't mind the screaming as long as they have multiple types of screams (or different voices).

The zombie doesn't actually exist.

It isn't reality.

You are going to be fine.

Yeah, it never seemed to me that zombies should be able to do any real loud sounds or even very fast actions, except for swinging their arms.

Yeah the screaming's pretty horrific. I'm not looking forward to dealing with 5 of the whinging buggers!
but they sorta remind me of the sound my girlfriend makes when she orgasms so I had to choose the nipple-on vote! :D

Your girlfriend sounds like she's wailing in pain at the height of your love-making? I'm not sure thats a very good sign

Well, you are lighting former humans on fire. That should be horrifying. really makes you think about all those guys you blasted to hell in Hl1.

The zombie wailing is the most unsettling thing i've seen in a game.
And that's great! :D

I like the sound, makes it cool. I wouldnt say better, but it is definately cool, adds a diffrent aspect to the zombies, then just they are an alien, makes them sound more human (like they were before)

qhqr, v zrna PBZR BA! v unq na BETNFZ gur zbzrag v urneq gur mbzovrf fpernz.

:D

Sparta said:
Your girlfriend sounds like she's wailing in pain at the height of your love-making? I'm not sure thats a very good sign
lol that's almost sig-quality :D Don't make me change mine :E

Edit: Voted for the last one! The sounds are cool even though they are somewhat disturbing.

Hmm, 'nipple' has the most votes.

:D

:)

:|

:O

(^ That's me slowly coming to the extremely shocking revelation of this unprecedented event.)

Mechagodzilla said:
The zombie wailing is the most unsettling thing i've seen in a game.
And that's great! :D
If I wanna be unsettled I'll go out to eat at a popular restaurant and watch the way one of my friends ogle the hot waitresses.... :naughty:

Seriously though, it's not the end of the world and it's not going to ruin the game for me, but I have a dim view on the "shock value" of things.

Mr-Fusion said:
Maybe you should try Britney Spears dance beat for PS2?
http://www.psreporter.com/britney_spears_video_game.html
How is it? ;)

Mechagodzilla said:
Hmm, 'nipple' has the most votes.

(random crack-talk)
Yeah, dude. That got my vote. Those zombies are all hawt with their new-and-improved 'headcrab' head-dressies.

They sound kind of stupid to me.

Besides, how would they scream if the headcrab is on their head?

I can't believe people think they sound stupid..

Personally, I think they add SO much emotion to the Zombies. I never felt bad for them, but after hearing their VERY human like screams, I felt bad. As if.. the humans inside were still alive, screaming..

I think it's great how they put a very interesting (and a little creepy) twist on the old zombie cannon fodder.

maybe they won't all be like that when on fire

I know that the ravenholt thing i heard was supposed to be more of a "horror" type chapter i guess... maybe they will take out the screams on later levels or something... or explain it somehow

The new Zombie sound adds to the atmosphere, it also kinda creeps you out, the kind of creeping you out that makes you paranoid at night.

Hazar Dakiri said:
They sound kind of stupid to me.

Besides, how would they scream if the headcrab is on their head?

If you listen closly the screams sound muffled, at first I really didn't understand what noise those Zombies were really making. Then after a couple seconds of hearing I realized it was a muffled human scream. Imagine someone with a pillow strapped to there face screaming, it would sound like the Mawmen's scream.

I wouldn't care if it was an infant zombie on fire. Games are games!

Now run for your life POST MAN..KNUEEEK KNEEEUK !

The headcrab is on their head, and I like the way the scream sorta sounds muffled like its coming from inside the headcrab. Really ****in creepy and I LOOOOVE it.

Okay if you feel bad about him suffering, do the Human thing, and shoot him in his head...there...no more suffering.

I reckon it was a wicked voice recording of those zombies, it's such a damn spine chilling such (but pretty funny at the same time). Imagine the voice actor doing it...

Actor- What am I again?
Sound Director- Alright...You're a half-dead zombie getting burnt alive...That's your motivation!
Actor- yaaaa YAaaaaaa YAAAAAAAAA

hahahahahaha godamn I'm funny.

Aaaaaaaaagh! AAAAAAAAAGH! ...... AAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHH!!!! OH GOD NO!!!!

NOT MORE NITPICKING!!!! AHHHH

OMG the zombie screaming in the E3 2004 video was the FUNNIEST THING EVER.

For me at least.

Shuzer said:
I can't believe people think they sound stupid..

Personally, I think they add SO much emotion to the Zombies. I never felt bad for them, but after hearing their VERY human like screams, I felt bad. As if.. the humans inside were still alive, screaming..

without having played the game i'd agree with u that the screams would add to the "atmosphere" of the HL universe ur immersed in.

like u said.. u start feeling bad for them at some point.. perhaps adding to the storyline more than most pple are expecting?

Mr. Redundant said:
screams make my nipples hard, nuff said.

wow...looks like someone's had appointments with the local dominatrix :LOL:

Hopefully soon we will be enjoying the terrifyingly real screams in their full Bink glory...or in the game...you know...whatever comes first :p

i think they are creepy. dont sound anything like the hl1 zombies, oh yeah right after he kills the first zombie with the manipulator near the hanging legs when he about walks into the building u can hear a scream but its kinda hard to hear so u have to turn it up :upstare:

Those effects should stay. Kudos to Valve to actually put some horrific scare into their game.

Now if the Combine screams like that when they're set on fire ...

Back