anyone know if hl2 will support win98?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

c14dude

with the recent release of Thief deadly shadows and Doom 3
i was a little worried that hl2 might not support win98se
does anyone know about this. i hope it does!

Seriously, upgrade to XP (Or 2000). If you like the old interface there's a setting that lets you keep the old "98-style-classic", I got it, owns.

Anyway, not sure.

just borrow Windows XP off a friend if you don't have it

I wouldn't bet on it. Hasn't Microsoft stopped supporting all versions of 98? Or was that just ME?

Another issue is that of finding up-to-date drivers, which is getting harder for systems older than 2000.

marko33 said:
No sorry windows xp only! yo! dude upgrade man
mark
Unless some info is out that I missed then there's no way you know that.

IRT #1: Do you have 98SE? Because if they allow any 98 at all it'll probably be SE.

win98 after all is 6 1\2 years old already well, maybe less for win98se but still

its getting to be an old OS

Win95 is coming up on a whole decade old now

according to my research... it is xp only!
no hard feelings
mark

Dead-Inside said:
Seriously, upgrade to XP (Or 2000).
"Upgrade" and "Windows" in the same sentence is an oxymoron unless you're talking about upgrading away from Windows.

Geez not another one, First it was alot people whining over doom3 and now this.

They afford good computers then they can afford buying 2k or XP.

Mountain Man said:
"Upgrade" and "Windows" in the same sentence is an oxymoron unless you're talking about upgrading away from Windows.

/me chuckles

seriously...its worth gettting XP, if not for the newer drivers arguement then to pose the arguement of newer hardware does not work as well with older operating systems as it does with the newer operating systems.

just wait until the game comes out before u upgrade to another OS. These ppl don't know what they are talking about. People found away to play DOOM3 on 98. Going out upgrading your OS is like going out upgrading your whole PC before you tried the game to see if it works.

[[LuCkY]] said:
And where did you get this info? Out of your ass?

Source?
Most every Half-Life 2-related site I go to has it as Windows 98/SE compatible. You don't have to be so rude, ya know?

Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

marko33 said:
according to my research... it is xp only!
no hard feelings
mark

Blablabla, stop spreading false information. :hmph:

XP only!!!
Where did you hear that???? :flame:
Are you telling me i won't be able to play on my Win2k!?!?!?!? :angry:

jverne said:
XP only!!!
Where did you hear that???? :flame:
Are you telling me i won't be able to play on my Win2k!?!?!?!? :angry:

He's lying, don't believe him.

there no proof that win98 is support, and none to the contrary, try emailing valve

Dude, Microsoft doesn't even support Windows 98. Most games, if they support 98, they support 98SE.

Mods or admin please lock this post i'ts getting out of hand
mark

Windows 98 can't efficiently handle more then 128 MB RAM anyway. You need a better operating system for newer hardware.

Apollo 13 said:
just wait until the game comes out before u upgrade to another OS. These ppl don't know what they are talking about. People found away to play DOOM3 on 98. Going out upgrading your OS is like going out upgrading your whole PC before you tried the game to see if it works.

Don't know what they are talking about? Show me doom3 on 98, cause its probably ugly and slow as crap. WINDOWS 2000 and XP could control the use of memory better and not have as many problems, or BSOD's.

oh for the love of god!
People still use W98?
Thats like making fire with rocks instead of a lighter..
Or doing calculations in your head instead of using a calculator..
Or having sex instead of playing Half-Life2!

Apollo 13 said:

Hey Appollo you do know there was a good reason why ID a professional gaming company didnt support 98.

cos its crap compared to xp and other platforms now.

6 and a half years in the software buisness is a long long time.

Hay guys will hl2 run on my comodore 64?

Cause you know im a cheap ass...

its really not relevant whether win98 sucks or not, many gamers still use it and wont shell out 100$+ for a new OS.

Guys, don't go shouting "HL2 IS XP ONLY!" I thought the game supported 2k.

Teh Gabe man says0rz
Min:
1.2 GHz Processor
256MB RAM
DirectX 7 graphics card
Windows 2000/XP/ME/98
Mouse
Keyboard

Preferred:
2.4 GHz Processor
512MB RAM
DirectX 9 graphics card
Windows 2000/XP
Mouse
Keyboard

You can see it is prefered that you have 2k/ XP, but you CAN run it on 98. 0_O.

Edit: Could a Moderator switch this to the hardware forum?

Sweeett!!! Good news for all the moms there who don't care about computers =] (and cheep companys)

Ahnteis said:
Windows 98 can't efficiently handle more then 128 MB RAM anyway. You need a better operating system for newer hardware.
That's a myth. With a simple .ini tweak, it can easily support 1.5GB RAM. In fact, Microsoft's updates include the altered .ini automatically. Until recently, I was running Windows 98SE with zero problems on a system with 768MB RAM and I was able to run the latest hardware and the latest software (for example, Far Cry ran like a champ on my system). I recently acquired XP for Doom 3, but my primary OS is Linux so my incentive to pay the Microsoft tax was greatly diminished. Windows is just a toy operating system to me. It's too bad more game developers don't support Linux.

yeah doom3 runs fine on win98se (wich is what i have by the way), i would suspect them to use win98se since the game
has been optimized to run on systems with dx6 cards.

Mountain Man said:
That's a myth. With a simple .ini tweak, it can easily support 1.5GB RAM. In fact, Microsoft's updates include the altered .ini automatically. Until recently, I was running Windows 98SE with zero problems on a system with 768MB RAM and I was able to run the latest hardware and the latest software (for example, Far Cry ran like a champ on my system). I recently acquired XP for Doom 3, but my primary OS is Linux so my incentive to pay the Microsoft tax was greatly diminished. Windows is just a toy operating system to me. It's too bad more game developers don't support Linux.

You should read more closely. I said EFFICIENTLY. And it doesn't.

Guys, Win98SE is not a bad system - it's great for games! I use Win2000 for all the other tasks, and I must say that Win98SE is a lot better for games. Most of them run slightly faster on 98, for example - Quake 3 Arena is 15 fps faster, and it's not a low number! Also, a properly configured Win98SE (cacheman, optimized swapfile) uses a lot less memory than 2000/XP, for example - playing FarCry in low settings with 256MB RAM on Win98SE results in no swapping at all, while on Win2000 the game freezes for a second when approaching a door.

I hope HL2 runs under Win98SE, and it appears that it will, jugding from the game's requirements.

AlaskanStewie said:
Guys, don't go shouting "HL2 IS XP ONLY!" I thought the game supported 2k.

Teh Gabe man says0rz

You can see it is prefered that you have 2k/ XP, but you CAN run it on 98. 0_O.

Edit: Could a Moderator switch this to the hardware forum?

Cool, the Gabe is god. I was little scared because Doom 3 don't support ME.

Windows 98 is probably the best thing microsoft has ever done.

Goto http://www.IHateWindowsXP.com

Nice website.

Ever got the Undefeatable error message in XP? need to click on it for ever.

The Ultimate sucking of XP is the stupid task managing. In 98 just end task and it will, but in XP, too many times you have to restart to exit the crashed program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back