Are YOU supporting Steam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, for someone who values what software applications do so much it sure is funny how you so easily steal the game. Think of it like this..."I dont want spyware coming on to my computer, but it is my right as a "smart" computer guy (and as a dumbass) to crack this game"...dont you sound intelligent!

Im studying to become computer programmer and I know that if someone messed with my software like that, banning them from use of it would be the least I would do.

Wow, I only get like 3 of those problems. Yes, I hate steam but not VAVLe... I feel sorry for you, fragbait

Well I don't hate Valve either. But I hate em for Steam if you know what I mean... :p

You are lucky to have only 3 of those problems. Which ones while we're at it?

The crashing, freezing and when I forget to turn off auto updating and it does it ingame

Never had ANY problems with steam.

It's fast smooth..and useful..and that's the truth.

Steam is important.

People who don't support it have tiny tiny brains. Like some kind of cactus brought to life.

Steam is important.

The fall of Danimal

The leaves flew by my battered body as I layed there with many sharp, painful bullet holes. I felt my blood trickle onto the ground watering the plants. I knew I was going to die, a bullet through the heart isn't exactly a bruise... I see the light, it is heading towards me as I lay there experiencing what is called 'Pain'. I was dead, I knew it, the man who shot me severel times was laughing at me. I wish I knew how he knew where I was hiding and how he knew to get past my bullet time-like state and hit me many times in the chest.

I went to heaven, an angel was standing there wearing the stereotypical array of halos and wings. I asked them where to go and the clouds around suddenly turned blood red, the angel's teeth were pointed and black and were dripping with blood. I didn't feel scared or afraid, afterall, I have seen worse...

The devil/angel creature stared upon my arsenal of weapons and as if it was on que, the weapons dissapeared. This meant trouble, the pain from the wounds returned. I realised I was no longer in control.

"Lo Harken Unto Thee and Listen!" The devil shouted at me as if he was the drill seargent and I was the new, fresh and willing soldier ready for war. "The time has come! You have commited far too many sins to live upon the heavens. You have wasted your life on making the innocent suffer an--" I interepted the demon and bravely said "Innocent people? OMGZ THEY WERE HAX! Camping fag had an Awp, d00d"...

TO BE CONTINUED!

I never liked steam. I actually HATE it to say the least. But hey! Everyone here is blinded by the beauty of hl2 (same for me :E ) so don`t dare to say you don`t like it :hmph:

If you leave an egg in teh microwave for 10 minutes and put the tiniest hole on it, then it will go KABOOM!

I've said it every time I post in a thread like this, but Steam is the world's best program in theory. In practise, it can drive a man insane. When it works, it works great- when it doesn't work, it screws up to an extent Microsoft would be proud of. There we go, token Gates hate. Just need a pointless fat joke to aim at Gabe and the circle will be complete...

At least they tend to patch major errors. But some of them were so obvious it boggled the mind: I mean, games still updating when implicitly told not to do so? How the heck did they miss that one? Dang server problems.

Attachments

• Half-Steam.PNG
    Half-Steam.PNG
    17.1 KB · Views: 400
Mr.Wotsit said:
Steam is important.

People who don't support it have tiny tiny brains. Like some kind of cactus brought to life.
I got a tiny brain because Steam crashes and does other "silly things"??

Just how the hell do you come to such a broad, sweeping and intentionally offensive conclusion?

Well i had no idea just what problems i personally was going to have with steam until i bought HL2,A game ruined by all the crashing,stuttering,freezing and a inability to activte it within my life time.
There have been patches released that have solved and cured most of the problems i mentioned above but its all to late for me is i have crash/reloaded/frozen/rebooted my way through to the end of the game.
Did i support valve and steam with my purchase of HL2 tgrough steam,Yes.
Will i buy any more games through steam,Not a chance in hell.

Mr. Wotsit has been doing such things for a long time, frag bait

I hate to join the thread so late... but here it goes:

1) Steam is just another distribution channel. Valve wanted to cut out the middle man so they could sell directly to the end user. Steam is how they do that. The automatic updates are nice but other games (and Windows XP) has this without a dedicated client.

2) Steam does not prevent piracy any better than the other, traditional methods. There are hacked HL2 copies around just like there are other hacked games.

3) Steam can be turned off. You just un-check the check box so it doesn't load automatically. When you exit HL2 just right-click on the Steam tray litter and exit.

4) Steam can be run in offline mode. Just be sure to get the latest update so it doesn't want to reconnect every 30 days and bomb out if it can't.

So I guess I can live with Steam. My only complaint is that since Steam is really a distribution method that cuts out the publisher why to they charge the same amount for the game via Steam as the retail version? Vale should discount the price since they are not paying the publisher anything.

hey look! im awake! and the reason i had to go to sleep is my bro told me so, i was able to stay up, but he didnt listen to me!

I agree. Why are we being subjected to advertisments when we've already paid $50 for the game? Steam is the equivalent of Gator

I like steam personally, but I do see the noticably big amount of people who are having problems and some getting ripped off. I love your lyrics they go to the actual rhythm of the song, GOOD JOB.

Yes Steam is a great idea, allows me to pre-download games and activate them the day it's officially released, patch them automatically, play online easily, etc...

But it has also a pervert side, if all game editors use that system, you will be plaged by numerous steam like apps running in background, downloading files all the time.
There is another problem, the automatic update can give more problems then it can solve. For me, the in the original version HL2 had no stuttering sound, now it's a pain in the ass and i stopped to play.
If only we could choose to install the update or not, or go back to a previous version. Even if you backup your files and reinstall them to use a previous version of the game, Steam detect this and update again !!!

Even the Windowsupdate of the evil Microsoft gives you the option to accept or refuse an update!

bigbot said:
So you guys trust Steam? Yeah, and I trust Gator E-Wallet... you dont know what the program is doing, and it runs in the background using resources, and they can push out updates at any damn time, and push out advertisements, whatever.

Like I said, you guys see how you like it in a few years (with gamers like you supporting this BS) when all the other game publishers follow suit and we have an array of shady programs running on our desktop.

Valve would make a hell of a lot more money without Steam.. it doesnt prevent piracy.. it's worse... and customers like me are lost in the process (the fact is, they lost 50+ dollars from me, and many people like me)

OH NOEEEESSS!! TEH STEAM IS EATING MY RAM AND GIVING ME TEH UPDATES WHENEVER FIRST POSSIBLE!!!!!!11one

Listen to how stupid you sound, steam taking up too many resources? I used to use steam fine when i had 256mb of ram, it lowered my other games performance, but then again you just turn it off. make it so it only starts up when you wanna play a valve/hl game, Or even better yet, you uninstall it and leave us all the **** alone, Like we wanna hear your bitching about steam.
its not going anywhere, so get over it. and yes, valve makes MUCH more money with steam, theres no way getting around that. The majority of people like steam, Like me. There are always going to be people who like or dislike things.
and on top of that, simple common sense can be used if something is wrong with steam. Ive had a few problems with it, But i fixed them, cause i have a brain and i use it.

and do you really think that valve is Secretly pumping spyware or other shit into your computer? your retarded if you do, it downloads updates for steam and your games, Thats it.

Rachel Powers said:
I agree. Why are we being subjected to advertisments when we've already paid $50 for the game? Steam is the equivalent of Gator
Settings > Messages

Rachel Powers said:

Who do you expect to pay for the continuous upkeep of the content servers?
The advertisements (and they are not that bad as far as advertising goes) help pay for the content servers, so that you and the rest of us can download new updates, maps and even full games.

You could argue that the $50 is paying for that but then making Half Life 2 did not come cheap - I hear $40 million?

around 3 mill per week they said on final hours, and what advertisement? they only advertise their own games like once in a while, do you guys even know what advertise is?

Exactly, the adverts (there are non Valve game related ones) are that inoffensive that some people do not even notice them.
Steam is nothing like Gator, it does not install files all over the place and sometimes force you to download third party software just to uninstall the damn thing.

I dunno WTF these people are talking about with Ads. The only "ads" I ever see are the "Content Hosted by: VALVe Content Server 1" banner when a game is loading; and thats hardly an advertisment. And if you see anything different on that banner, I believe that it's what the server your connecting to is hosted by.
It isnt like Steam is causing pop-ups.

Jesus, some people just love to make mountains out of mole hills.

It's a bastard on dial-up where you pay for each call.
It's a bastard at a LAN when you can't play it.
It's a bastard when your CPU is randomly crunching stuff for it for no good reason.
It's a bastard when it crashes.
It's a bastard when it freezes.
It's a bastard when it crashes your whole system.
It's a bastard when it freezes your whole system.
It's a bastard when it starts updating when you're ingame.
It's a bastard when it starts chewing memory like mad for no good reason.

It's a bastard to me because all those things have happened to me.

It's a bastard for too many people.

EDIT: Danimal - I didn't mean to look like I was taking it that way.
Well for me(im a 56ker to. I get disconnected roughly every 24 hours, I pay like 1 cent per call) it:
Never Had trouble playing on lan(i have like 5 comps on my lan network)
Never seen it take up nearly any of my cpu
Never crashed on ne
Never froze
Never crashed my whole system
Never froze my whole system
Never started uploading while your in a game(Which is technically impossible, I believe)
Never chewed my memoryl ike mad for no good reason.

Isn't that wierd? I love steam. Had a rocky start, but after that it was great. No errors, no nothing!

Steam has always been great to me. I've owned by bro plenty of times on cs over lan. It always works great for me. I didn't want to update the source sdk. Clicked it off and I was fine. Never started dling again. Last night when I went to bed I told it to dl, it dled and was finished when I woke up.

I LOVE STEAM

But hey, I guess im just a lucky one, besides the fact that I have a 56k :(. Even though I still own! I love my 56ker and my local isp. Disconnects every 24 hours, Max Legal 56k connections(Average dl is around 5.4KB, though a 56k should run at 8KB, it's illegal due to it uses to much bandwidth)

I like and support Steam.

Now I'm going to think of amusing images of you getting all hot and bothered over that statement, with your white-knuckled hands fiercely clenching your mouse in rage.

There are no problems with Steam! It is driving opposition into the ocean! </infominister>

bigbot said:
... maybe you enjoy having a program running in the background downloading updates at will,

But, even you said that you have to restart steam to do an update. Its not a tiny communist gnome that is having sex with your DVD drive as you're sleeping

I've never had any problems with steam. Half-life 2 doesn't crash at all on my and my 9800 pro, and it doesn't hog my extensive 512mb of RAM either when playing...

but then some people do get really terrible problems with it. I'm not dismissing them like they never happened. but making a whole thread about your paranoid thoughts about steam is pointless - Least of all on THE biggest (Probably) Half-life 2 fansite EVER.

I mean, who do you think's going to care? Most of us have Half-life 2 working on our machines, and it's your fault in the first place that you forgot (Didn't know, whatever) that VALVe are monitoring what games you crack, but I'm sure you'll be reading the EULA thoroughly next time you buy a game...

Also, coming on and stating false accusations, then changing your answer and agreeing (E.g. "Steam can be downloading lots of spyware into your system without you knowing", into "I know you must restart steam before it downloads anything new...") is not the correct way to go about things. Do that and people will just assume you are a liar...

So, if you do that, you'll be fine.

dekstar said:
I've never had any problems with steam. Half-life 2 doesn't crash at all on my and my 9800 pro, and it doesn't hog my extensive 512mb of RAM either when playing...

but then some people do get really terrible problems with it. I'm not dismissing them like they never happened. but making a whole thread about your paranoid thoughts about steam is pointless - Least of all on THE biggest (Probably) Half-life 2 fansite EVER.

I mean, who do you think's going to care? Most of us have Half-life 2 working on our machines, and it's your fault in the first place that you forgot (Didn't know, whatever) that VALVe are monitoring what games you crack, but I'm sure you'll be reading the EULA thoroughly next time you buy a game...

Also, coming on and stating false accusations, then changing your answer and agreeing (E.g. "Steam can be downloading lots of spyware into your system without you knowing", into "I know you must restart steam before it downloads anything new...") is not the correct way to go about things. Do that and people will just assume you are a liar...

So, if you do that, you'll be fine.

No, he didn't something like a no-cd crack. He downloaded HL2 through steam and used a crack to validate the game. He got caught and banned from steam, so now he can't even use MP with HL1 material.

He's a dipshit thief who got caught.

Rachel Powers said:

HEY IT'S BIGBOT!

bigbot said:
you guys proved your points... im a thief, steam doesnt download anything in the background (verified by who?)- but ok ill buy that, and the rest of you are just ganking me. Somebody tell me how its right for valve to steal back a game i bought, somebody tell me why this crap running in the background is necessary.. somebody tell me why they even infected their old games with it... WON worked fine.. you have a unique key verifying system and it was quick and transparent. This system is bulky and frankly invading. You guys go ahead and trust valve... trust the updates they push out... you know they are tracking your gaming habits right? maybe they are tracking your hardware too. Pushing out advertisements? yep... the bottom line is this game doesnt need to be bundled with this bullshit. You guys have obviously already bought the game, and are fiercely defending it.. after all, you can't look weak can you? Well i'm not the only one out there.... killers own sig is making fun of the bullshit.. yet he slams on me with the rest of you

Who gives a shit if they track your hardware? I've never seen an advertisement for a non Valve product. And I've only seen one of those.

OH JESUS IF THEY TRACK MY HARDWARE AND GAMING HABITS THEN THEY WILL GAIN THE ABILITY TO EFFECTIVELY CREATE A NUCLEAR HOLOCAUST WORLDWIDE ONCE THE STEAM SUPER COMPUTER HAS GATHERED SUFFICIENT ENOUGH DATA, AND THEN ME AND A GROUP OF RAG-TAG REBELS WILL HAVE TO FIGHT THROUGH THE RUBBLE AND UPLOAD THE COMPUTER VIRUS TO SKYNET GAK GAK GAK GAK

Oh wait, why would I care?

the only thing i dont like about steam is that it doubles up all of my installations, requiring twice the hard drive space :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back