ATI vs NVIDIA massacre

Tr0n said:
Actually it does...it would mean they have the lead in the graphics war.Please use your brain....

Hes just an ATi fanboi, let him be. :dozey:

what i don't understand about fanboys of hardware companies is this..

don't these pple want the best product available in their price range regardless of the brand/company behind it?

surely if u don't look at it this way.. ur more than likely ripping urself off by getting a product that doesn't give the "best bang for ur buck"

personally i don't care which company is on top.. i just want the best card i can get at the time.. simple as that.. if pple buy products for other reasons.. well ultimately its their money.. so good for them to get an inferior product.

Dr. Freeman said:
what i don't understand about fanboys of hardware companies is this..

don't these pple want the best product available in their price range regardless of the brand/company behind it?

surely if u don't look at it this way.. ur more than likely ripping urself off by getting a product that doesn't give the "best bang for ur buck"

personally i don't care which company is on top.. i just want the best card i can get at the time.. simple as that.. if pple buy products for other reasons.. well ultimately its their money.. so good for them to get an inferior product.
Exactly
And right now this is only true if you buy an FX card.
6800 or X800 are both great products with no fanboyism needed to buy either.
You almost have to be a fanboy to buy an FX.

Asus said:
Exactly
And right now this is only true if you buy an FX card.
6800 or X800 are both great products with no fanboyism needed to buy either.
You almost have to be a fanboy to buy an FX.

yeah.. i heard that opinion over the last week quite a bit.
so hopefully Nvidia is giving tons of competition to Ati because i am in favour of low prices and better performance :thumbs:

Yeah, high price doesnt always mean good/best performence. Thats why you need to know as much as possible about products. :)

Pureball said:
guys pci express aint even out yet, but will be in the near future. the 6800 is a power hungry bitch and about as quiet as a drunken elephant, whilst the x800 is barely noticable. they are both incredibly similar on benchmark results, but i think it just comes down to which one you can get cheapest. i think Nvidia have actually made a GOOD move this time.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-128-248&depa=1
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-128-251&depa=1

ATI have got the better 'gaming' cards at the moment, but Nvidia do TECH for NASA, im sorry ATI guys :),, but that rules 1ONE1 all by its own/

It's pretty even, all things considered. I don't really care whos better, i'm gonna buy the faster card no matter what.

lol which means you'll be buying an ati. nvidia need some serious work to be done if they want 2 b on top of the competition tbh.

I think really the decision between the 6800 and X800 depends on your system. If you have a good, big power supply and good cooling and stuff then you should get the 6800. If you don't have as much power, say 300 watts and your case is a little smaller you should get the X800. I would rather get the best one there is also taking price into account. I can't afford one of those 2 now, so I'm going with ATi because the FX cards are not as good as the Radeons for the same price.

That doesn't make sense. :\
It makes sense when thinking about what card if your system meets the power requirements but other than that it is bogus.
Why shouldn't a person buy a X800 if they have a beefy system that can run either card? lol
For that matter if they have a 350watt PSU, what means they should choose a X800 over a 6800?

Yeah, it makes more sense to base your buying decision on how much money you want to spent and on the benchmarks of the games you play.
And basically you can't go wrong with any X800 or 6800 card. The performance is always awesome and the differences are relatively minor.

I think it's silly to be a fanboy, I'm a glory supporter when it comes to hardware - I'll very rapidly change sides if I don't like what I'm getting. For example, I switched from sega to nintendo to sony to microsoft, from intel to amd, and from nvidia to ati. And I as I write this in 640x480 @60hz in 16 colours, having destroyed all gaming power of my rig short of anything but a format with the latest catalyst drivers, I say unto thee: Buy a frigging nvidia.. ¬_¬

I meant just for the 6800 and X800. The GT and Pro both cost $400, the Ultra and XT both cost $500. Price isn't much of an issue then, they're the same there. I meant though that if you have a good enough power supply then you should get the 6800 because of the sm3. Yes, I know it won't be out till 2006 and stuff and I have NOTHING against ATI but you'll be all set for future games and again if you have the power supply and since they both cost the same, the 6800 would probably be the better choice.

im the same ZoFrex :), Alsong as theres quality to be had. Good point bosox188,

*considers....... confusion sets in............ considers some more.... wait. wait, damn ,,, need more money first :)*

I wouldn't buy just because of PS3.0. It doesn't change the tables enough. If you already didn't want Nvidia then PS3.0 doesn't really change that, except for marketing.
Just like OCing the 6800Ultra doesn't change performance all that much.
It still loses and it still wins in the same benchmarks, just by an improved amount.

Remember the 6800 performs 2 light operations per pixel pipeline anytime
The X800 performs 1 light operation normally and another 1 when AA is enabled.
They would both be doing 2 light operations per pixel pipeline when AA is enabled then.

Link
User selected level which you will more likely be while playing FarCry.
SM2.0 - 6800U is at 87FPS, X800XT PE is at 100.4FPS
Look at the SM3.0 graph and going to SM3.0 gains Nvidia little here.
Looking at the 4xAA/8XAF graph shows ATI pulling ahead.

Link
Now looking at a level with a lot of light interaction (Nvidia's selection)
SM2.0 - 6800U is at 67.9FPS, X800XT PE is at 69.6FPS
Look at the SM3.0 graph and Nvidia gains 10FPS.
Looking at the 4XAA/8XAF graph shows ATI pulling ahead though.

The cards are pretty evenly matched overall - I could dig up benchmarks where the nv card pulls ahead, they're each good at different things. One of the main things that piqued my interest is the different types of antialiasing - nv's card has supersampling, which rocks some bad ass but kills framerate, and ati are dabbling in temporal antialiasing, which can only be used when the framerate is over 60, but gives the illusion of double the number of samples. Unfortunately, ati's method cannot be screenshotted, so we can't compare. I almost swung to nvidia for supersampling, but I prefer ati's single-slot cooling and lack of power drainage, so for now I doubt anyone will be changing sides.

PS3 was not a factor for me, because by the time it's implemented in games, the 6800 will be long obsolete, whereas 3dc is likely to be in hl2.

Supersampling isn't new, doesn't "rock some bad ass," and isn't even the method that nVidia has been making a stink about lately. It's a very basic method of AA which essentially just renders the scene at a higher resolution and then blends the pixels. (For example, an 800x600 scene might be effectively rendered at 1600x600 internally, and then every two horizontal pixels would be averaged). This is why up until recently (when nVidia started implementing different techniques) nVidia's AA has looked very poor with nearly horizontal and nearly vertical edges. It's also the source of AA compatibility issues, as it can't be used on any 3D scene, only on ones with engines which support rendering at the right resolution.

Temporal AA isn't new either. It's good to see that ATi's picked it up though. I don't really care if you can't take a screenie of it, I don't play screen shots.. :p

the newest nvidia card is the 6800 ultra right??? when is the next nvidia card coming out?! and whats it called because i wanted to buy the 6800 ultra cause it has support for dx9.0c but if theresa newer card coming out soon plz tell me! im buidling my new computer soon!

basically what this graphics card war is about is....do i want the one with 5 more fps or the one without 5 more fps? either way, they are both blazing fast cards, and i guarentee when your playing the next years worth of games, with either card, you'll be satisfied extremely.

Pureball said:
Does anyonw agree with me that Nvidia...in the LONG RUN...are actually better than ATI??? (ive just dove behind the sofa to protect myself from the barrage of outrages im gonna get)

I wouldn't know, I don't have the 1 gigawatt power supply that Nvidia's best gpu needs...

is there no way to lash both together into some sort of sickening, sparking, ducktape and solder hybrid?

ComradeBadger said:
:LOL: Becuase 480W is sooo close to a Gigawatt :)
well, i have a 550 watt, and i think the rest of mys system would cry if i put a 6800 in there

/hugs comp case

besides, it takes up 2 slots.... i need those slots for my modem, sound card, my hd card cause i needed a converter... my water cooling power supply cards which i should be getting soon.

6800 480watts,2 slots,1 more point on teh benchmarks

x800 300watts, 1 slot, 1 less points.

Source= http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1584034,00.asp

At 1280x1024, the GeForce 6800 Ultra opens up a considerable 14% lead over the Radeon X800 XT. The 6800 "Ultra Extreme" opens that gap to 25%. However, when we crank things up to 1600x1200, the Radeon X800 XT pulls even with the 6800 Ultra, though the "Ultra Extreme" maintains an 8% (5fps) lead.

whoopy 5 FPS I'd still take the X800 XT over Nvidia's Gpu.

Source= http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/135/1/

The GT is the same product as the 6800 Ultra, yet clocked 50 Mhz slower and has slightly less memory bandwidth. That's the biggest difference... oh and hey... 100 USD bucks cheaper ! God I almost forgot that. The Geforce 6800 GT sounds like a rally car and is priced exactly the same as the Radeon x800 Pro. That product has only 12 pixel pipelines. Making the GT superior performance and feature wise.

It sounds good, yet I want a quality test, and maybe a better looking control panel.

i'd take nvidia because i think itll be better for future games cause it has support for directx9.0c

Asus said:
Ah but that X800 is not a PE, this is.
X800XT PE (500$, well unless you get it from Gateway ;) ) compete with 6800U (500$)

Thanks for pointing that out. If I do go throwing $500 on a new vid card I'll keep that in mind. Allthough I think my 1.3ghz Duron is holding my 9600 pro back quite a bit, So a new Graphics card can wait.

Darkknighttt said:
i'd take nvidia because i think itll be better for future games cause it has support for directx9.0c

So?? Games won't start using most features of 9.0c for another year or so...by that time ATi will have a kickass card for that. :)

This and this is what DX9.0c will give you. SM3.0 vs SM2.0
My point is, It's a waiting game waiting for that spectacular advantage that never appears.
People waited for SSE3 in Prescott and when it arrived they said "wait for Socket 775".
When Socket 775 arrived they said "Wait for dual core".

He's right too, ATI will have a PS3.0 card out next as well.
And just like AMD released a new stepping with SSE3, it won't matter because that function doesn't change the tables.

DiSTuRbEd said:
So?? Games won't start using most features of 9.0c for another year or so...by that time ATi will have a kickass card for that. :)
I think Darkknighttt's point is that for people who only buy a graphics card once every two or three years, the 6800 series would be more future proof.

That is, unless the X800 series can compensate that by showing off a lot of PS2.0 horsepower in HL2 benchmarks. We don't know yet if this is the case, which is why I haven't decided yet on a new GFX card.

Back