Battlefield 3

Completing the package are classic Battlefield 2 weapons and vehicles, unique rewards, new achievements / trophies, and more.
It's all but definitely an expansion, then. I wonder if this is the format they're going to continue with in the future? They've already shown they can approach multiple periods of war in the same game, as long as each period's content is self-contained. Depending on the tone of the core BF3 game, they could get away with varying degrees of variety in future expansions. Maybe even something like Project Reality or Eternal Space?

Oh, I didn't read that. You're right.

That would be cool. Personally BC2 Vietnam is my favorite Battlefield game since BF2. I get moist at the idea of having the core BF3 game and then expansions for BF2 weapons/vehicles, a WW2 expansion, a 2143 expansion, etc all for 20 bucks each.

I do think BF3 could be a COD killer if they can pull off the large scale vehicle-involved combat of BF2 or 1942 and seamlessly integrate it with the fantastic BC2 infantry fps experience, and market it properly. The only problem is that it's intrinsically more difficult to play than COD imo.

Krynn your analogy is kind of good, except that people are generally going to be willing to buy a car largely based on its history and the line's reputation, not the specific appearance or features of that car. I share your frustration over the teaser trailer's lack of any gameplay footage at all, but it is a teaser trailer, so you can't possibly expect more... movie teaser trailers don't even do anything but hint at the plotline, why should a video game teaser do anything more than "tease" a few features (like basically... jets)? It's the first official video released about BF3, it seems kind of silly to expect it to be more meaty than that.

I didn't expect a gameplay trailer, or a trailer with anything important (which, really, just exemplifies a sad state of affairs when our expectations are so low) but I can expect them not to be begging for my money without them telling me what I'll get. It makes them seem desperate to me, and is rather off putting.

To me it just makes them seem like a major commercial video game company that revolves around money just like everyone else. It's pretty common for preorders to go out for games at this phase of PR. Think about it, they are planning a big "unveiling" with hopefully some more juicy, solid gameplay info this month in gaming mags. Obviously they aren't going to spoil that, but they WILL offer preorders and a teaser trailer alongside it, and since those aren't as big of a deal they release them a few days earlier than the magazine articles to start the hype train rolling a little bit.

I agree with you that the state of the industry is frustrating and that things are generally a "sad state of affairs" like you say, but I don't see any particularly heinous or extreme examples of that in this specific case... I'm only saying it's all par for the course.

To me it just makes them seem like a major commercial video game company that revolves around money just like everyone else. It's pretty common for preorders to go out for games at this phase of PR.

Yeah they realized people were gullible enough to pay up front for a product they won't receive for sometime. That's free money for them to play around with however they like until they actually have to deliver a product. I pre-order physical goods all the time through the internet and don't get charged until the goods are shipped, that's how it should be for videogame pre-orders especially digital ones.

I kind of wish they didn't go with the same "soldier on fire" theme in the promo art. It makes the game look like an expansion to BC2, not a new game.

Yeah, I know this doesn't have to reflect how the game will turn out to be, but still.

Yeah that worried me too.

The infantry combat is fine to be honest in BC2 but the vehicles all played better in my opinion in BF2. So hopefully they'll incorporate all the good stuff from both games.

I don't mind paying a bit extra for the special edition with the BF2 content. Gulf of Oman better be in it!

New HL2.net vs. BF3 stunt video guys? :D

Yeah they realized people were gullible enough to pay up front for a product they won't receive for sometime. That's free money for them to play around with however they like until they actually have to deliver a product. I pre-order physical goods all the time through the internet and don't get charged until the goods are shipped, that's how it should be for videogame pre-orders especially digital ones.
Over here when you pre-order games you don't get charged until the goods are shipped.

At least not from where I buy, which is one of my nations most popular game stores.

Heck, all their pre-order offers etc, you get them even if you don't bother paying for and picking up the game, in the case of stuff like codes to give you some DLCs on the 360s etc.

I kind of wish they didn't go with the same "soldier on fire" theme in the promo art. It makes the game look like an expansion to BC2, not a new game.

Yeah, I know this doesn't have to reflect how the game will turn out to be, but still.
I was thinking the same thing. The fact that they added a singleplayer campaign keeps making me think this is basically Bad Company 3 with BF3 as a name. Or hell, even a sorta-sequel to Modern Combat for the consoles.

I just watched the video and saw that it will be 64 players. God I hope they won't **** this up, no FPS has been able to match the greatness of BF2.

I was thinking the same thing. The fact that they added a singleplayer campaign keeps making me think this is basically Bad Company 3 with BF3 as a name.
Would that be such a bad thing? The difference in multiplayer fundamentally comes down to BC2 not having jets, prone, commanders, more restricted squad spawn, or dolphin-diving, the first two being confirmed to return. As long as the gameplay is there, I wouldn't mind seeing Sweetwater and Haggard in either the singleplayer or multiplayer campaign.

Are you guys ****ing kidding me? No one is upset about the DLC "content"? Oh, sorry, it's obviously an "expansion" as it comes with new vehicles and weapons, because a) no DLC has ever done that before! And b) it's totally possible to "expand" a game that isn't even out, right? That distinction is bogus and you know it.

Ignore for a second they're withholding content from people unless they pay more than full price for the game - something that is normally unanimously hated on these boards - this isn't just some silly optional extra, they're actually withholding maps from people. Maps which will presumably be used in multiplayer. And nobody sees a problem with this? People are more than happy to condemn Activision for releasing map packs weeks/months after release and it segregating the player base between the haves and have-nots (so to speak :v), but this is okay because it's an "expansion"? Give me a ****ing break. This is some grade A bullshit, and they've basically guaranteed that I won't be putting money down for their game until, at the very least, it comes down in price enough to compensate for the extra I'd have to spend on their ****ing day-one DLC just to be able to play with whomever I want.

But hey, enjoy your gated content, and also enjoy me calling you fanboys because you ****ing aaaaaaaaaaaare.

Ease up Bad Hat. The Limited Edition / pre order version of BF3 comes with the BF2 DLC pack free and it is only $49.99 from the EA store (which is the normal price for a new game, if not $59.99). So really it's part of the game if you preorder. I have no idea about whether the limited edition will be in retail at all.

Vietnam is a 5 map expansion that cost 20 bucks and got great reviews. The BF2 DLC will have its own unique set of weapons and vehicles from BF2, not BF3, so it's really an expansion not just a map pack. It's almost certain it will function like Vietnam in the sense that it will be entirely separate from vanilla BF3... with its own servers etc. There won't be players getting dropped from servers on map changes because they don't have the DLC because there won't be mixed mode like that.

The days when games like this were developed solely for the PC are long gone and it makes me really sad.

Ease up Bad Hat. The Limited Edition / pre order version of BF3 comes with the BF2 DLC pack free and it is only $49.99 from the EA store (which is the normal price for a new game, if not $59.99). So really it's part of the game if you preorder. I have no idea about whether the limited edition will be in retail at all.

Vietnam is a 5 map expansion that cost 20 bucks and got great reviews. The BF2 DLC will have its own unique set of weapons and vehicles from BF2, not BF3, so it's really an expansion not just a map pack. It's almost certain it will function like Vietnam in the sense that it will be entirely separate from vanilla BF3... with its own servers etc. There won't be players getting dropped from servers on map changes because they don't have the DLC because there won't be mixed mode like that.

Fair enough about the price, but it's not "free" if you have to pre-order to get it, and it's not "free" if it's in limited supply (if it is, indeed, actually a limited edition). In effect, they're punishing people who'd rather wait until after release by not only denying them content, but making them pay extra for it at a later date, or of course go without. That's not cool, and I really can't comprehend how people are okay with it just because it's Battlefield.

As for having seperate servers, you uhh... you really think that's going to make it better? Yeah, getting dropped from a game because you don't have a map pack sucks, but not even being able to join one isn't so great either. Regardless, it's still segregating the player base at launch, which is ****ing horrifically stupid.

Oh, and I still refuse to call it an "expansion" if they're releasing it with the game. I don't deny certain publishers gate off content which was developed alongside the game, or is already on the disc, but just because they're being up-front about it doesn't excuse this kind of shit.

Sorry if this comes off a bit hostile, I'm just flabbergasted at how little a reaction this has sparked.

Edit: Oh also, WinXP will be unsupported. It's being primarily designed for DX11, apparently.

Are you guys ****ing kidding me? No one is upset about the DLC "content"?
I didn't read this thread and went to read an article and vid on this game. I laughed at that part and I was like "I bet not a single ****er in the hl2.net thread for this game has mentioned this." But Terribadhat, you have now at least. Also I miss the days when 49.99 was the new release price on PC.

As for having seperate servers, you uhh... you really think that's going to make it better? Yeah, getting dropped from a game because you don't have a map pack sucks, but not even being able to join one isn't so great either. Regardless, it's still segregating the player base at launch, which is ****ing horrifically stupid.

I agree.

Came across this online.

http://www.slideshare.net/DICEStudio/siggraph10-arrdestruction-maskinginfrostbite2

Looks like we should get some better looking destruction, it will still be modular destruction of course but will look nicer. :)

I can't wait to see someone in a jet crash into the side of a building, blowing out walls and killing everyone inside. It'd be nice if fires were started in the building too. It'd be epic if the crashed jet cause the building to set on fire, having the fire spread and eventually engulf the building.

Also looks like Tracer Darts are out.

Alan 'Demize99' Kertz - Gameplay Designer OD32
Will there be tracer darts?
Demize99
No, no tracer darts. That's a bit too BC and not enough BF.

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-3/1389415-dice-tweets.html

I really really hope that if there is single player its tiny. Why do they feel they need to satisfy the small minority of idiots that just play single player? Battle Field games have never sold well because of the quality of their single player lol

I agree. I only ever played the SP in BC2 when the game first came out and the servers were down for a little while. I didn't really enjoy it either, was very heavily scripted. I'd often get in front of my team mates, pass a trigger and they'd just teleport to my location and the next wave of enemies started.

Fair enough about the price, but it's not "free" if you have to pre-order to get it, and it's not "free" if it's in limited supply (if it is, indeed, actually a limited edition). In effect, they're punishing people who'd rather wait until after release by not only denying them content, but making them pay extra for it at a later date, or of course go without. That's not cool, and I really can't comprehend how people are okay with it just because it's Battlefield.

Oh, and I still refuse to call it an "expansion" if they're releasing it with the game. I don't deny certain publishers gate off content which was developed alongside the game, or is already on the disc, but just because they're being up-front about it doesn't excuse this kind of shit.

I agree with everything you just said.

BTW, BC2 had some sort of VIP code which allowed you to download DLCs free of charge, right? Didn't basically every PC version of the game come with the VIP code?

I agree with everything you just said.

BTW, BC2 had some sort of VIP code which allowed you to download DLCs free of charge, right? Didn't basically every PC version of the game come with the VIP code?

I'm pretty sure every version came with the VIP code, yeah. Well I've never seen anywhere where you can buy one. Also, once you've purchased the game it is tied to your EA account so nobody can buy second hand copies. I think the VIP code was meant for the console players, and it was bought over the the PC as an extra "bonus" to PC players, where really it does nothing.

You got the VIP code when you bought the game NEW. The idea was to make money out of the second hand sales. If you bought the game second hand the code would have already been used and you would have to pay to get a new code from the market place if you wanted the extra content.

This was totally fair, game developers loose a lot of money from second hand sales.

I liked the BC2 SP because the AI was just really smart to play with. They would use cover effectively but most importantly they recognized that they could use explosives to blow open walls, revealing you. Many times I would have to go to the attic and fire from a window and even then that area would be exposed, yet it was above them at least.

I really really hope that if there is single player its tiny. Why do they feel they need to satisfy the small minority of idiots that just play single player? Battle Field games have never sold well because of the quality of their single player lol

Hang on, people who only play single player are idiots? That's quite a shitty view TBH. I much prefer playing a decent story out that participating in a cheat infested gang bang.

He's speaking specifically for BF. To be fair, if you buy a BF game for the SP, you are probably a dumb person. Also, I had no idea you enjoyed decent stories.

BF2 had pretty good bots in my experience, they were quite capable pilots etc, at least in the mods I played that made use of the bots.

BF2 had pretty good bots in my experience, they were quite capable pilots etc, at least in the mods I played that made use of the bots.
theofficegifstheoffice1.gif

Did you play PoE2(mod) with bots? I found them quite capable in jets, dunno if PoE2 modified the bots in any way though.

I found them at least just as enjoyable opposition as I did the AI enemies in BC2..

Did you play PoE2(mod) with bots? I found them quite capable in jets, dunno if PoE2 modified the bots in any way though.

I found them at least just as enjoyable opposition as I did the AI enemies in BC2..
I didn't play any of the mods because it was way too realistic. Any gun would kill you instantly and there are tons of spots that you can camp in BF2 because the maps were so large.

Would that be such a bad thing? The difference in multiplayer fundamentally comes down to BC2 not having jets, prone, commanders, more restricted squad spawn, or dolphin-diving, the first two being confirmed to return. As long as the gameplay is there, I wouldn't mind seeing Sweetwater and Haggard in either the singleplayer or multiplayer campaign.
Not really, since the BC series had great MP. My problem is with the fact they're adding SP to BF3, where the SP progressed from a lighthearted open shooter to a grimdark, shitty, absolutely terrible and unnecessary pos trying to take the piss out of MW2 in the BC series. They just need to stick to MP with the BF series and focus on Mirror's Edge if they want to do SP.

I can agree on the characters though. Loved them.

Battlefield 3: (All confirmed)
- Single-player campaign
- Online co-operative campaign
- Online Multi-player

Frost Bite 2 engine: (All confirmed)
- HD dynamic audio and video
- Unparalleled life-like animation
- Deferred rendering (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp6VIu4JRRQ&feature=related)
- Real-time radiosity (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rkLEsR9bRs&feature=related)
- New EA sports animation system
- Shock-waves throw you to the ground
- Mount your weapon to almost any terrain
- Drag fallen comrades to safety (or off a cliff; huehue)
- Total destruction of environments & national monuments
- Vastly improved FOV & sense of scale

Environments: (All confirmed)
- Paris (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8K4qPJ9q4o&feature=related)
- New York (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqlJl1LfDP4)
- Tehran (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u5gVgCmS4Y)

Combat/Gameplay:
- Land: 8 types of armored vehicles (Speculation)
- Sea: (N/A: Amphibious vehicles?)
- Air: 16 types of aircraft (Speculation)
- Day & Night settings with life-like weather conditions (Confirmed)
- Prone position included (Confirmed)
- Squad Commander (speculation)

Speculated vehicles:
Armored:
- M1 Abrams (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBG_G678Trg)
- LAV 25 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgZNbU0UFH4)

Helicopters:
- Blackhawk (UH-60?) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Ylfk61oag&feature=related)
- Apache (AH-64D?) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOIsDJsH1kw&feature=related)

Aircraft:
- Mig 29 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N62KQlQX3ao)
- F18 Hornet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8zP5s9vdX0&feature=related)

Factions:
- USMC (United States Marine Corps) -Confirmed-
- EU (European Union) -Speculation-
- RUS (Russia) -Speculation-
- MEC (Middle Eastern Coalition) -Speculation-

stolen from /v/ thought it was a pretty good post lol

Thanks I didn't know what Paris looked like.

Whats the big statue thing in New York? Can I mount my weapon on it?

Back