Battlefield 3

I got MASSIVE lag on the 64 player conquest version of Tehran Highway as well.

Beat the singleplayer campaign today, pretty good with a few issues here and there. Gonna write an impressions article that should be up on BFO tomorrow.

Man I'm loving the multiplayer. The combat sounds and effects as shit goes on around you are ****ing insane. The carnage doesn't have that fairly static feel that BF1942, BFVietnam and BF2(the only battlefield games I've played) have had. Shit explodes, breaks... debris and huge smoke clouds fill the area when stuff explodes.

Case in point, I'm really enjoying it.

I've basically dedicated myself to engineer... particularly Anti-Tank and Anti-Aircraft. Aircraft kills are so much harder with enemy flares, but killing tanks is becoming my specialty. Mines and RPG = unhappy tanks.

Man I'm really out of touch when it comes to multiplayer shooters. Anyone got some basic tips for infantry combat in this game?

Man I'm really out of touch when it comes to multiplayer shooters. Anyone got some basic tips for infantry combat in this game?
I'm thinking about writing an article about this for Battlefieldo, but off the top of my head:

1) Know the maps. Obviously this is the most important thing in any FPS game - you need to know where to expect the enemies to be, or at least the directions they usually come from.

2) Cover is EVERYTHING in BF3. Make yourself as small a target as possible and stick to cover whenever possible. Always be thinking of where the enemy is or could be, and use cover to your advantage 100% of the time. If you have to cross an open area, stop while you are still in cover on one side and quickly scan for enemies before crossing.

3) Trigger discipline is important. When you see a bad guy, the answer is not to always start spraying at him - if he doesn't see you, take a quick second, crouch and aim. You take down people with just 3-4 well placed shots in BF3, so make them count. Similarly, it might be a good idea to switch to semi-auto rather than full-auto a lot of the time (v is the hotkey for firemode). Taking 3-4 well aimed shots beats holding the trigger down spraying a full magazine of 30 shots in their direction almost all of the time (unless there is a clump of bad guys).

4) The "tap rather than hold" approach to shooting automatic weapons from BC2 applies here too. Your accuracy improves drastically if you shoot in one or two shot bursts.

5) Move slowly and cautiously rather than simply sprinting towards your objective.

Really, the most important thing is knowing the maps, knowing common enemy positions, and constantly thinking about your own position. Most infantry engagements in BF3 come down simply to who has the better position when the bullets start flying. Beyond that, control of your gun is of paramount importance.

I would advise (pun intended) that you play the singleplayer on Normal or Hard to practice multiplayer. It won't help you with map knowledge or metagame tactics but it will help you a LOT when it comes down to the basic physical technical aspects of the game, like learning how to best move (in cover) and how to control recoil and stuff on the guns.

Thanks for the advice Ennui. Despite being a battlefield veteran I'm quite rusty at this game, so I'll try to keep those things in mind when I play. I tired a bit of solo play, but i just found it so uninteresting that I don't know if I will go back to it. Plus it runs terrible on my computer, more then multiplayer

Basically just move slowly and make sure you are always thinking about your position, and when you engage baddies make sure you are deliberate about your aiming and shooting, especially if you are in better cover.

Honestly it's much less fun if you are playing alone. The best way to play is with some buddies, preferably on teamspeak. Even if you don't have a mic it's really helpful to hear what your squadmates are doing. If any of you are looking for this feel free to hop in the Battlefieldo teamspeak: 213.133.97.214

We have a clan of about ~150 PC players, with about 10-20 in TS at any given time playing together. We do the normal clan stuff like jumping on a server together and stacking all the BFO guys on one team, joining an empty server and playing with special rules like bolt action snipers only, or just squadding up in groups of 3-4 and joining random servers to play as a squad. The "clan" is really just self association, you get access to private areas on the forums and teamspeak but you aren't required to wear tags or do anything with the clan if you don't want to. If any of you are lacking in people to play with I strongly recommend checking out the teamspeak since you can pretty much always find a game of BF3 being played... the community is made up of your normal FPS players - lots of 20 somethings with a smattering of teenagers and older folks.

Oh god I want to play MP. WHY WONT IT WORK ARGH

Anybody else having trouble with launching the multiplayer? Have you solved it? I've tried everything I could think of, and yet only the campaign works.

Also sometimes the game manager thinks I'm playing the game, but BF3.exe is not running.

Basically just move slowly and make sure you are always thinking about your position, and when you engage baddies make sure you are deliberate about your aiming and shooting, especially if you are in better cover.

Honestly it's much less fun if you are playing alone. The best way to play is with some buddies, preferably on teamspeak. Even if you don't have a mic it's really helpful to hear what your squadmates are doing. If any of you are looking for this feel free to hop in the Battlefieldo teamspeak: 213.133.97.214

We have a clan of about ~150 PC players, with about 10-20 in TS at any given time playing together. We do the normal clan stuff like jumping on a server together and stacking all the BFO guys on one team, joining an empty server and playing with special rules like bolt action snipers only, or just squadding up in groups of 3-4 and joining random servers to play as a squad. The "clan" is really just self association, you get access to private areas on the forums and teamspeak but you aren't required to wear tags or do anything with the clan if you don't want to. If any of you are lacking in people to play with I strongly recommend checking out the teamspeak since you can pretty much always find a game of BF3 being played... the community is made up of your normal FPS players - lots of 20 somethings with a smattering of teenagers and older folks.

I'm already joined it, but it won't let me join the BFO squad on TS3. Fuuuuu

Played the jet level. That was a long and glorified point and click adventure game. Atmosphere at the beginning was pretty good, however.

For you folks with the Stinger launcher, wait before you fire. The jet pilot will spam automatically the flares and if you wait a bit, then fire the missile, your missile will get the jet then. I have not tried that yet but it makes logical sense. Weird bug I have in SP:

For you folks with the Stinger launcher, wait before you fire. The jet pilot will spam automatically the flares and if you wait a bit, then fire the missile, your missile will get the jet then. I have not tried that yet but it makes logical sense. Weird bug I have in SP:

The stinger has such ridiculously short locking range though he's usually out of range by the time he fires the flares and you have to wait again for him to come over to your area.

True, but sometimes the pilot he's usually chasing circles the area. Maybe in a case of pot luck hoping someone takes him down.

Do people use joypads/joysticks to fly the jets? Got in one and even with my mouse's DPI set at max, turning was so slow.

True, but sometimes the pilot he's usually chasing circles the area. Maybe in a case of pot luck hoping someone takes him down.

Do people use joypads/joysticks to fly the jets? Got in one and even with my mouse's DPI set at max, turning was so slow.
Yeah, same. I would use a joystick personally because it's just more fun to play with one. Okay I didn't want that to sound that way. :naughty: I would get a really cheap one too with barely any buttons on it like the one I have.

Would you folks be ok with a hl2.net meeting this weekend? Just find an empty conquest server and duke it out.

Yeah, same. I would use a joystick personally because it's just more fun to play with one. Okay I didn't want that to sound that way. :naughty: I would get a really cheap one too with barely any buttons on it like the one I have.

Would you folks be ok with a hl2.net meeting this weekend? Just find an empty conquest server and duke it out.

I'd be down, depending on what time.

I'm down for it too. Garg and I were playing on a Chicago server last night / his this-morning, and according to him it was still playable.

I have found lag to be extremely frustrating personally. Hopefully we will be alright with a US East or UK server.

I'd be up for a meet. I'm out saturday night but any other time I'm free!

My only frustration so far - lag (I think) causing me to seemingly hit someone more times than they need to hit me, and getting killed from people hiding in a corner you didnt see. Oh and dying like 2 seconds after spawning.

And seeing as I havent played much online FPS on a PC in a few years, im rusty, so many are better than me and it frustrates me.

Usual FPS stuff.

I think this weekend would be a perfect chance to set a time, grab everyone on a friends list and join a game together.

Yeah, some of the spawn locations are terrible. I just finished a round of Operation Firestorm wherein A and C were being spawncamped/griefed by US snipers, and we got ****ing stomped.

Cool, I get to look forward to wasting lives trying to be Spawn Camp Policeman again.

How does one link ones PSN account to EA for the veteran status?

New layout is completely different to the guides I'm reading.

In BF3 was hoping for some kind of dog fight map like No Fly Zone in DC and Battle of Britain in BF1942. A few of the maps feel like Mashtuur City, especially Grand Bazaar. BTW I think Grand Bazaar is the most attractive looking map by far, the detail on the floors and the rain, everything, is just so ****ing beautiful. That said, the game feels more infantry based at the moment, I'm confident DICE will make a few maps like Caspian post release (hence BTK maps).

Having some 500 watt speakers with this game, is a thing like nothing else.

In BF3 was hoping for some kind of dog fight map like No Fly Zone in DC and Battle of Britain in BF1942. A few of the maps feel like Mashtuur City, especially Grand Bazaar. BTW I think Grand Bazaar is the most attractive looking map by far, the detail on the floors and the rain, everything, is just so ****ing beautiful. That said, the game feels more infantry based at the moment, I'm confident DICE will make a few maps like Caspian post release (hence BTK maps).

Having some 500 watt speakers with this game, is a thing like nothing else.

Well even Caspian feels primarily infantry based. I mean sure, there are jets flying around and helicopters too... but unlike Battlefield 2 and 1942 from my experiences, the vehicles are mostly just worrying about each other and not so much the infantry. As a result the planes are worrying about the planes and helicopters, the helicopters are worrying about the tanks, and the tanks are worrying about the tanks and occasionally infantry. Infantry has a real run of the place.

I think infantry being the more dominant force to winning maps is a good thing though.

From past titles, I think vehicles were a big reason why squad members stayed together. Especially from Helicopter TV guided missile rape, the best way to survive was stay together IMO. I think squads are nothing more than a moving spawn point now, sadly. Vehicles have a less of a role, it says volumes how time has token a toll on the franchise (health regeneration, perks, etc.)

just wait until people starting unlocking better specs for vehicles... then we'll some serious air to ground warfare (laser guided bombs and the like)

Although I do think there's a marketspace for something even more open than BF3 (/swoon at the land/sea/air battles of 1942), and less focused on realism than ArmA, and less retarded than MW3, I do enjoy this middle ground.

Or whatever it is.

I think Dice has finally created a mix of great vehicular gameplay and intense infantry firefights.

Also gotta say, I think VOIP would be nice - if even just for squads. The battlelog and forcing of Origin and interview statements pretty much indicate their won't be an SDK or a mod scene at all, which just blows ass considering what this amazing technology is capable of.

I don't think they've denied making an SDK, but according to Demize99 of DICE... he said that an SDK "won't be available for release" (something along those lines) it seems keeping it open. Although, DICE are clever trolls.

DICE shouldn't be idiots... they know that the success of their games stemmed from the modding community. Desert Combat, Project Reality, Forgotten Hope. Need I say more? Desert Combat mod members MADE Battlefield 2.

This has been what I've been working on... I will make people NOT want to fly. That is my dream!

20111026225526capture.png

20111026225743capture.png

20111026225811capture.png

DICE shouldn't be idiots... they know that the success of their games stemmed from the modding community. Desert Combat, Project Reality, Forgotten Hope. Need I say more? Desert Combat mod members MADE Battlefield 2.
Why let mod makers make content for free when they can make it themselves and charge for it? It doesn't matter that mods in the past have helped the series become better. Times have changed, and DLC reigns supreme. Did you want to buy PMC or BAF for Arma? No, most people didn't because there were so many free mods that brought more forces and weapons and maps to the game. The main source of sales for those DLC were diehard fans, SP players, or those who simply didn't know any better.

Even if making their game moddable would help its success, the fact remains that they can make more money selling DLC if the community has no other options for extra content.

Why let mod makers make content for free when they can make it themselves and charge for it? It doesn't matter that mods in the past have helped the series become better. Times have changed, and DLC reigns supreme. Did you want to buy PMC or BAF for Arma? No, most people didn't because there were so many free mods that brought more forces and weapons and maps to the game. The main source of sales for those DLC were diehard fans, SP players, or those who simply didn't know any better.

Even if making their game moddable would help its success, the fact remains that they can make more money selling DLC if the community has no other options for extra content.

So your point is that DICE are idiots. Really... a company making stuff that modders would make never happens. They don't have the budget or time to spare to bring about all those wacky and crazy things... most of which don't work and many that do.

I just hope that gamers can force the hands of the developers some time in the future instead of this trending notion of DLC and iron grip on content generation.

I think we can basically guarantee that EA is the one standing in the way of mod tools. They're too god-damn stupid and shortsighted to understand that mods drive sales and create trained employees for free.

Oh god the multiplayer works now and it is glorious.

I've only played a couple of rounds, but I suppose squad tactics have died down a bit compared to BF2. Maybe it's because of the lack of VOIP?

So your point is that DICE are idiots.
Not at all. If anything they're greedy, but I honestly don't think it's DICE's fault here. Like Stig said, it's EA that is the problem. They're the greedy ones. Having a person buy their game and then say "oh cool mod tools, that makes it even more worth it!" doesn't make them any more money on top of the original purchase. Of course there are few people who didn't buy BF3 solely because of no mod tools, but the profits to be made from increased DLC sales outweigh this lost small group of purchases.

Really... a company making stuff that modders would make never happens. They don't have the budget or time to spare to bring about all those wacky and crazy things... most of which don't work and many that do.
Err, I was never talking about those kinds of things. I'm talking about things like additional forces, weapons, maps, etc. People would be less interested in purchasing DLC if they could get stuff like that for free from the community.

You can't place all the blame on the conglomerate that gobbles things up.

Why are you even in this thread anyway? You have no interest in Battlefield 3. Just saw my posts huh and had to comment? GET OUT OF HERE, NOBODY'S TAKING A POOP IN HERE!

Was I supposed to get a Karkland key with my LE pre-order? All I got was the 'physical warfare' keycode.

As far as I can tell, Limited Edition = Back To Karkand. My Wal-Mart copy (because f*** you, EA, now you don't even net the $10-less-than-Origin MSRP!) only came with the LE key.

Back