Battlefield 3

I managed to shoot out the pilot of the Russian attack chopper in Operation Firestorm :D

I dunno about you guys, but I don't have a lot of time to play on the weekdays so I have been playing almost exclusively lately on the meatgrinder servers to unlock shit.

Meatgrinder are the 64 player metro conquest maps... and if you ever do go in there you should know it's just a chaotic shitfest... mostly medics with m203's lobbing them... medics getting shitton of points reviving people who die constantly, and just general mayhem all around.

I've actually grown kind of fond of it. When you can be the americans and your team manages to push forward and capture all points, it's an exhilirating experience.

I think now though since I've unlocked a fair bit for the support class, which has really become my favorite, I'm gonna start venturing into other server types again.

And yes, I know I haven't played with any of you yet. I don't like the unlock aspect of the game so my main goal initially is just to unlock shit so I don't have to worry about it later in time.

Man, the IRNV needs some nerfing. I say that after using it for a while on my M416 and seeing how much easier it makes it to acquire a target in the chaotic, information-overloaded battlefield. There's literally no reason why you want to be using any other sights on your weapons unless it's a sniper rifle.

The description says it's meant for low-light scenarios, but it works just fine in the daylight. My suggestion is to make the image overexposed in daytime lighting, at least for the first second or so until your eyes adjust or the thing adjusts or whatever. That way, the RDS and Holo sights have the advantage of a much faster effective scoping time, rather than the no-brainer "IRNV duh" it is now.

It makes me feel like a total badass though, suppressor on my M416 + IRNV = badass high-tech stealth Army Shooty Man. But I also want a reason to use RDS.

I dunno about you guys, but I don't have a lot of time to play on the weekdays so I have been playing almost exclusively lately on the meatgrinder servers to unlock shit.

Meatgrinder are the 64 player metro conquest maps... and if you ever do go in there you should know it's just a chaotic shitfest... mostly medics with m203's lobbing them... medics getting shitton of points reviving people who die constantly, and just general mayhem all around.

I've actually grown kind of fond of it. When you can be the americans and your team manages to push forward and capture all points, it's an exhilirating experience.

I think now though since I've unlocked a fair bit for the support class, which has really become my favorite, I'm gonna start venturing into other server types again.

And yes, I know I haven't played with any of you yet. I don't like the unlock aspect of the game so my main goal initially is just to unlock shit so I don't have to worry about it later in time.
BF version of Nuketown somebody mentioned on a server once.

I made the switch to my 360 controller for flying helis and... WOW, what a difference
I sucked ass with the mouse, was a bit better with just the keyboard, but the gamepad is definitely the way to go! (for me anyway)

My girlfriend really likes the infantry only conquest maps like Metro so we play on Meatgrinder 24/7 metro servers sometimes. It's such a cluster****. It is fun although there are design flaws. If you are on the team that starts towards the entrance to the metro (the first set of MCOMs in the Rush version) you can pwn all day long by spamming m320 grenades up the escalators between A and B. You can arc them right into the middle of the areas the enemies congregate.

I'm not even kidding when I say that this is such an overpowered and effective strategy that it renders the map completely broken. Not convinced? This is the last round I played on Metro CQ:

4918c2bcd23e47a6bd94166.png

That being said, those servers are a great way to grind for points, especially on assault class since you can farm points JUST as effectively as I did with the m320 in the screenshot above by simply reviving everyone.

Yeah, Metro conquest is a great way to grind weapons. My G36C is now service star 8 due to alot of Metro ownage. And the auto-shotty (the one with the cylindrical magazine, the DAO 21 or something) with the laser sight in Metro is unstoppable, especially if you control B and they are trying to come up the stairs. You just run around the corner, thumping round after round, take atleast 4 down before they realise what's happening. So efficient, as even a half-hit is enough to kill. Lob a grenade first too. SO many quadruple kills.

Man, the IRNV needs some nerfing. I say that after using it for a while on my M416 and seeing how much easier it makes it to acquire a target in the chaotic, information-overloaded battlefield. There's literally no reason why you want to be using any other sights on your weapons unless it's a sniper rifle.

The description says it's meant for low-light scenarios, but it works just fine in the daylight. My suggestion is to make the image overexposed in daytime lighting, at least for the first second or so until your eyes adjust or the thing adjusts or whatever. That way, the RDS and Holo sights have the advantage of a much faster effective scoping time, rather than the no-brainer "IRNV duh" it is now.

It makes me feel like a total badass though, suppressor on my M416 + IRNV = badass high-tech stealth Army Shooty Man. But I also want a reason to use RDS.

I think it's just a bad game mechanism all round. They'd be better off removing it. It's just cheap.

They wont though, you can put money on that.

Nor will they nerf it. While its clearly OP'd, it hardly breaks the game. And DICE have probably taken a look and gone ''well, not everyone that has it is using it.''

Yeah, I have it on most of my weapons at this point, and I'd rather have an ACOG scope than the IR scope. Also, I just feel cheap using it - especially on hardcore.

I don't think it needs to be removed, it just needs to be overexposed and nearly unusable outside / in bright light.

Another thing that makes it OP is that in BF3, HDR lighting has a pretty substantial effect on gameplay. If you move from indoors to outdoors, it's overexposed for a second or so until your character's eyes adjust, making it harder to see if any enemies are outside. With the IRNV sights you can see just fine, in any exposure.

Ah, just found out there is a counter to the IRNV, and have seen it in action;

Switch your camo to the SPEC OPS BLACK when you unlock it (somewhere around 40 I think) and the IRNV doesnt pick you up in a bright glow. You melt into the background. THAT's why they havent nerfed it then, as everyone will just run around in spec ops black and take the IRNV out the equation.

I never made it to 40 in BC2 though, despite having put 200 hours into it. That never got me past 30 or so, I suspect reaching 40 is like 400 hours? That's not a reasonable counter.

Well I've been playing for 35 hours and am half way to lvl 33. Not even sure what the max level is. But every weapon has, I THINK, 100 service stars. Which is 10,000 kills. Per gun. That's where the ranking really lies.

why are people being so final about dice not nerfing the irnz scrope? gustav and m60 got nerfed in bc2, why not this? i think the beta alone has proved they have been listening.

why are people being so final about dice not nerfing the irnz scrope? gustav and m60 got nerfed in bc2, why not this? i think the beta alone has proved they have been listening.
I think what they're saying is that it won't get eliminated completely.

How hard is it to unlock the SG553 in coop? It says 378,000 coop score. That seems like a shitload.

I know nothing about coop in this game, I don't really have an interest in playing coop... I just want that weapon for the engineer class.

That's my favorite assault weapon weapon series, The Sig series... but I don't want to play ****ing coop! ARGH!

Is it easy to get that much score?

EDIT: Hmmm...

http://mp1st.com/2011/11/06/battlefield-3-co-op-weapon-grinding-getting-nerfed/

On to some interesting news. If you’ve been neglecting the co-op, but still have the intention to eventually unlock those weapons, it might be a good idea to hold off for a while. Fredrik Thylander, Senior Designer at DICE, was recently asked if it was intentional that we would have to grind this much in order to unlock those weapons. He surprisingly responded, “nope. And its getting nerfed.” No further details have been provided, but it looks like we’ll finally soon be seeing more players with the G3A3 on the battlefield. This will most likely come in the form of a patch which seems to already be in the works. You can check out details here!

Hur hurr. Playing with Kadayi, CyberPitz and the rest of you guys is some serious fun. We need a real mumble server instead of a borrowed one though.

Well Kadayi is being awesome with letting us use his, and it works, but yeah, if this is to become a long-term thing, we may need our own out of fairness. Or teamspeak or vent or something. Dont know if you have to pay for those.

And yeah, definitely so much more fun playing with or against each other and being able to speak and laugh etc. Changes the game for the even-better.

Hur hurr. Playing with Kadayi, CyberPitz and the rest of you guys is some serious fun. We need a real mumble server instead of a borrowed one though.

It's my Mumble server, so it's not 'borrowed' and you're welcome to use it (it's not like I pay for the bandwidth or anything). Obviously atm it's 30 slots, so I don't want everyone and their sister piling on 24/7. However if enough people do use it regularly then I'll bump the capacity up some. IP is 85.236.97.19 Port is 1562.

Simple rules: -

1) Use a readily identifiable user name (prefer forum name). Some of my Milkshake clannies might go 'Who the f**K?' and ban you if they don't have the ok from me as to whose who.

2) Be excellent to each other.

[video=youtube_share;FV4LDCgWMdI]http://youtu.be/FV4LDCgWMdI[/video]

Kadayi tipped me off. :thumbs:

His other vids are great as well:

man, i don't know about you guys or if it's just my tv/settings, but some of these maps are almost unplayable for me because of how bright they are, the most extreme case being nashier canal. it's ridiculously[/] bright, and it's not all that worse than a few others too, mostly the desert maps. why are they all set at around 9 to 12 in the morning, where the sun is so bright? why are no maps set in the afternoon or something?

i hate to say it but i am actually quite happy when a map like metro or bazaar comes up because i know that one is set mostly indoors and other is set during a overcast rainy day.

man, i don't know about you guys or if it's just my tv/settings, but some of these maps are almost unplayable for me because of how bright they are, the most extreme case being nashier canal. it's ridiculously[/] bright, and it's not all that worse than a few others too, mostly the desert maps. why are they all set at around 9 to 12 in the morning, where the sun is so bright? why are no maps set in the afternoon or something?

i hate to say it but i am actually quite happy when a map like metro or bazaar comes up because i know that one is set mostly indoors and other is set during a overcast rainy day.

DICE does not know how to bloom.

nashier canal
Please, if you must change the spelling, far and away the best choice is Nosehair Canals ;)

I think you might try adjusting your TV. The contrast looks pretty good for me on my PC with the default game settings and monitor settings that I always use.

Please, if you must change the spelling, far and away the best choice is Nosehair Canals ;)

I think you might try adjusting your TV. The contrast looks pretty good for me on my PC with the default game settings and monitor settings that I always use.

i have no idea what the spelling of the map is - ''the really rubbish map that is seemingly covered in radiation that was made out to be huge but is in fact pretty tiny and has a awfully boring straight line of objectives in rush'' didn't really have much of a ring to it.

i'll have another shot with the contrast, but so far my results have been it's either too bright, or too dark in indoor maps or places with shadows. both are pretty important for gameplay, i find.

DICE/EA is putting on a little competition/sweepstakes this weekend! Linky: Kotaku or the official sweepstakes

We've seen what Battlefield 3 can do, and now it's Modern Warfare 3's turn, or is it? EA is hosting a special sweepstakes weekend for Battlefield 3 players, giving everybody that plays between November 11-13 a chance to win a trip to DICE's Stockholm, Sweden headquarters, a game system of their choice, or $5,000 cash.

A bit off topic, but has anyone played BC2 lately? What about Vietnam? Thought about reinstalling, but I was curious what the player population is currently like for both.

re: ''Which is fine until you end up filling the shoes of some other characters. How did Blackburn know everything these guys did when he was, in some cases, thousands of miles away? I''

aren't these events told to blackburn? from what i understood, you tell the CIA dudes your missions, and then they tell you events by the pilot, dima, etc.

still pretty skewered game, mind you.

Tactical light nerf (they need to nerf bullet damage as well IMO):

tactical1.jpg

tactical2-600x337.jpg

Every time I get blinded by that thing it's like Medusa and you just start firing everywhere. OMG GUYS I CAN'T SEE DUE TO THE LIGHT, HALP:

TheThingPoster.JPG

A bit off topic, but has anyone played BC2 lately? What about Vietnam? Thought about reinstalling, but I was curious what the player population is currently like for both.

I know you're on PC, but I logged into BC2 on the PS3 about 4 or 5 days prior to BF3's release, expecting it to be packed with more people than usual, what with the next game coming out, and found about 2 people each time I joined a map.

Bit of a ghost town now.

Below the North American players numbers for BC2 and BC2:V.

E1ZHP.jpg
TjSPe.jpg

And thanks for reminding me to uninstall the game. It has become redundant.

And thanks for reminding me to uninstall the game. It has become redundant.

Ah. That reminds me to do the same. I bought BC2/V during the winter sale and it got me through a drought, but its time has concluded.

Back