Battlestar Galactica - Final Season

Jesus, all of the flash backs felt like total filler.
Also, the last few minutes were incredibly corny as hell.

But, meh, enjoyable ending... just got way too slow towards the end.

I liked the end. The show goes for 70 hours or so. It was nice to spend at least 20 or so minutes just finding out what would happen to all those characters after 4 years of watching the show.

Also, those last few minutes of the show... never happened.

EVER.

No more talking about them.

As far as i'm concerned the show should've ended with
that shot of Adama sitting next to Roslin's grave.

While i'm using a spoiler, someone needs to add in the "The Great Space Coaster" music to the part where the Centurions fly off into the unknown.

Show solved. It was good though, i enjoyed it a lot. Save for a few things...

Like Cavil committed suicide as soon as things look bleak. Terrible way for the villian of the last two seasons to go out. On an impulse.

Also, what the **** is Starbuck? Why have her go through all that character development about who the **** she may be, only to cop out at the end and go "Well, i'm done, see you later Lee" with barely any explanation. And her viper appearing on Cylon Earth with her body in it, how did it get there?

Also, Head Baltar and Head Six as God's agents solving everything is, while fitting within the universe of the show, lame none-the-less. It's quite literally a Deus Ex Machina ending and its still lame.

Who is God? Why is God omniscient but not omnipotent? Why doesn't he like being called God?

Why the lecture the audience in the last two minutes of the show about decadence and technology run amok, when the entire premise of the show revolved around it?

Why didn't someone wag their finger at Ron Moore during his cameo for how poorly he and the other writers looked after their overall storyline and for failing to plan it all in advance? I mean, come on, they deserve a good finger wagging.

Overall it was very good, and its a great series altogether. But, i gotta say, in the end it can't compare to either The Wire or The Shield.

Like Cavil committed suicide as soon as things look bleak. Terrible way for the villian of the last two seasons to go out. On an impulse.
That was Dean Stockwell's idea. Originally Saul was going to throw Cavil off the railing, but Stockwell told the writers that Cavil's character would probably see it's all over and shoot himself.

Yeah man, being an atheist prevents me from enjoying anything with religious undertones too. High five!

I thought the whole angel thing played out nicely because it was most logical. please, you should have realized something was off with Gaius Baltar with him seeing things all the time. Also come on people, the whole show was about the evolution of man, machine, and life. things change all the time and according to them god isn't good or evil which would conflict with a lot of religions even today for the most part.

Thats not what pissed me off, the whole anto science and technology thing is what pissed me off.

Thats not what pissed me off, the whole anto science and technology thing is what pissed me off.

thats the entire show. the galactica was anti science, the admiral was anti science most of the time and the theme was that technology/science can kill you someday.

have you watched any of the other episodes??

Well that's true but still a little subtlety would have been nice

Come on dude, its the major theme of the story. mankind has to shed technology or it faces extinction. Had the Galactica been updated the show would have been over in minutes because of the low tech they used on the ship. They said it right out in the open many times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvYVR6XXsHA

That was Dean Stockwell's idea. Originally Saul was going to throw Cavil off the railing, but Stockwell told the writers that Cavil's character would probably see it's all over and shoot himself.

Yeah i know, but its still a terrible way for the character to go. Especially for someone who considered immortality and life so important. For him to just blow his brains out like that was bad writing, and frankly a bad idea from Dean Stockwell.

Yeah i know, but its still a terrible way for the character to go. Especially for someone who considered immortality and life so important. For him to just blow his brains out like that was bad writing, and frankly a bad idea from Dean Stockwell.

woah woah woah!! think about what the man went through. he hated his old body, his personal war was going horrible, he lost Hera, and he was surrounded by humans. he saw no end in sight and fully understood that all he had was lost. even with immortality coming he knew something was a little off. then when he lost that chance at immortality he took control of his own actions because the man doesn't understand irrationality. all his logic was math and probability. but with a problem with no solution he went berserk.

woah woah woah!! think about what the man went through. he hated his old body, his personal war was going horrible, he lost Hera, and he was surrounded by humans. he saw no end in sight and fully understood that all he had was lost. even with immortality coming he knew something was a little off. then when he lost that chance at immortality he took control of his own actions because the man doesn't understand irrationality. all his logic was math and probability. but with a problem with no solution he went berserk.

But again, this is such a strong willed character that has lived for thousands and thousands of years, through at least two wars and was so strong willed that he virtually took charge of the Cylon's even when they were all under the illusion that their form of government was some kind of democracy. I don't believe a character like that would simply shoot themselves in the head at the sudden onset of failure, and doesn't even at least try to reason his way into a ceasefire or surrender with the humans the instant extinction looks imminent. A guy that smart and conniving wouldn't do that in real life.

That's like Al Swearengen suddenly shooting himself after The Gem Saloon burnt down as he was left bankrupt and homeless. Or Vic Mackey turning himself in the second time he's investigated for something. Or Stringer Bell shooting himself in the head the moment Omar and Brother Mouzone rock up. That's bad writing. Period.

The video doesn't work by the way.

Edit: I totally forgot Al was my avatar and yet he was the first example I could think of when comparing him to Cavil.

They obviously weren't actual mystical angels and it wasn't God, they made that pretty clear imo.
Also Kara was an 'angel-ghost-thingy' since her death.

But again, this is such a strong willed character that has lived for thousands and thousands of years, through at least two wars and was so strong willed that he virtually took charge of the Cylon's even when they were all under the illusion that their form of government was some kind of democracy. I don't believe a character like that would simply shoot themselves in the head at the sudden onset of failure, and doesn't even at least try to reason his way into a ceasefire or surrender with the humans the instant extinction looks imminent. A guy that smart and conniving wouldn't do that in real life.

That's like Al Swearengen suddenly shooting himself after The Gem Saloon burnt down as he was left bankrupt and homeless. Or Vic Mackey turning himself in the second time he's investigated for something. Or Stringer Bell shooting himself in the head the moment Omar and Brother Mouzone rock up. That's bad writing. Period.

The video doesn't work by the way.

Edit: I totally forgot Al was my avatar and yet he was the first example I could think of when comparing him to Cavil.

video worked for me, but i can see your point there. who knows maybe he just finally wanted to die or it was a spur of the moment type thing. regardless it happened and nothing will change that

Spoilers Abundant.

The finale may have been the absolute worst episode ever.

- More flashbacks that go absolutely nowhere, are simple and pointless repetition, or are just worthless.

- The war itself was absolutely amazing. In fact, the first 45 minutes or so of this episode were some of the best it's ever done. Stuff like the lawyer being made President caught me completely offguard, and was quite excellent.

- Cavil offing himself was so ****ing far out of character and so anticlimactic that I can't believe they actually did that. If it really was Stockwell's idea, I think he really misread the character. Though the entire truce bit was rubbish too.

- Most of the farewells were garbage. Galen banished to an island, Starbuck just vanishing, Caprica and Gaius saying farewell to their imaginary counterparts. and WHOSE ****ING IDEA WAS IT FOR SAUL AND BILL TO NOT SAY GOODBYE TO EACH OTHER.

- And, if that was the plan with Thrace anyway, why not just send her into the sun with Sam?

- I like how everyone is like "Hera holds the key to our survival", and she doesn't.

Dan said:
-If Boomer wanted to payback the Old Man, why didn't she do that by not ****ing everyone over in the first place? It's not really repaying a debt, if you caused the problem.

Also, this. And that Flashback was terrible too.

- The scene with Adama and Roslin on the Raptor with the ring had me in tears, as did the stuff with them afterwards. The scene with Helo and 8 was really cute, too. I'm glad he made it, I was iffy there.

- The ending also felt too happy, for a show that started and continued to be pretty ****ing bleak. Samon and I were really rooting for Saul, Adama, and Roslin to just go down with Galactica. Oh, and the last few minutes were just complete preachy rubbish.

--

New final episode: The same thing as the first like half hour of this one. Then, some people escape (Hera, Helo, 8, Lee) and Saul/Adama/Roslin continue to ram Cavil's base until both ships are destroyed and the remnants are in the black hole. Kara uses her super powers to get the survivors back to the fleet, and they continue searching for a home, without the threat of being wiped out at any goddamn time.

Spoilers Abundant.

The finale may have been the absolute worst episode ever.

- More flashbacks that go absolutely nowhere, are simple and pointless repetition, or are just worthless.

- The war itself was absolutely amazing. In fact, the first 45 minutes or so of this episode were some of the best it's ever done. Stuff like the lawyer being made President caught me completely offguard, and was quite excellent.

- Cavil offing himself was so ****ing far out of character and so anticlimactic that I can't believe they actually did that. If it really was Stockwell's idea, I think he really misread the character. Though the entire truce bit was rubbish too.

- Most of the farewells were garbage. Galen banished to an island, Starbuck just vanishing, Caprica and Gaius saying farewell to their imaginary counterparts. and WHOSE ****ING IDEA WAS IT FOR SAUL AND BILL TO NOT SAY GOODBYE TO EACH OTHER.

- And, if that was the plan with Thrace anyway, why not just send her into the sun with Sam?

- I like how everyone is like "Hera holds the key to our survival", and she doesn't.

Also, this. And that Flashback was terrible too.

- The scene with Adama and Roslin on the Raptor with the ring had me in tears, as did the stuff with them afterwards. The scene with Helo and 8 was really cute, too. I'm glad he made it, I was iffy there.

- The ending also felt too happy, for a show that started and continued to be pretty ****ing bleak. Samon and I were really rooting for Saul, Adama, and Roslin to just go down with Galactica. Oh, and the last few minutes were just complete preachy rubbish.

--

New final episode: The same thing as the first like half hour of this one. Then, some people escape (Hera, Helo, 8, Lee) and Saul/Adama/Roslin continue to ram Cavil's base until both ships are destroyed and the remnants are in the black hole. Kara uses her super powers to get the survivors back to the fleet, and they continue searching for a home, without the threat of being wiped out at any goddamn time.

i'm pretty sure Saul and Adama were living pretty close to each other. Kara was an angel so for her to disappear that was understandable. but yeah i agree with you, everything either felt out of sorts or rushed. i'm going to have to watch it again to understand it all

i'm pretty sure Saul and Adama were living pretty close to each other. Kara was an angel so for her to disappear that was understandable. but yeah i agree with you, everything either felt out of sorts or rushed. i'm going to have to watch it again to understand it all

If Saul and Adama were living near each other, there would have been no need for a long, heartfelt goodbye between him and Lee. And he said it himself to Thrace, that the old man isn't coming back. In one of Adama's last lines, he's talking to Roslin's grave, and he says something about building the cabin. We see that he hasn't even started yet. I think he's planning on dying very shortly.

And Kara being an angel really doesn't make sense. It's a bad writing cop-out. I've got nothing against the religious undertones, but they were only used in this episode, and overall series in a whole, as the writer's way of saying "I had no ****ing idea what I was thinking when I wrote this, so let's blame God."

So I went to a greyhound race the other night, and one of the dogs kind of stopped to take a shit on the middle of the track before the race. Kind of like Ronald Moore and this final episode. I hope you are banished to the moon for this utterly dire episode of television, RD. But you know, I can't say I was expecting any less. There has been no sense of closure in this final arc; we knew the series was coming to an end, but it didn't feel like it - it did not feel like Galactica was on its final mission. There was no perspective from the rest of the fleet, or the renewed Quorum, or, you know, the final ****ing remnants of mankind. In this sense, I suppose it was appropriately crap.

The assault was cool, but you know, this was climaxed with a laughable 'truce' that ended on such ridiculous terms "IT'S A TRAP!" "FRAK!" Is that seriously how they decided to climax the war? Galactica's final mission, and Adama, Saul and Roslin did not go down with the ship -- taking the Cylon centre with it -- ensuring that the fleet could find a home without the constant threat of Cavil. Alas, no. Cavil shot himself. The main antagonist shot himself. K.

The flashbacks were completely pointless. When Boomer said "I owe him one", I thought, sure, you shot him -- this is a nice full-circle arc. But noooooo, there's a flashback literally explaining this "debt". And then, you know, Kara vanishes, and we skip to a pretentious, ridiculous ending - and all without Adama and Saul ever saying goodbye.

I was planning to vent much more, but my enthusiasm has run out. It was a terrible episode.

I've got nothing against the religious undertones, but they were only used in this episode, and overall series in a whole, as the writer's way of saying "I had no ****ing idea what I was thinking when I wrote this, so let's blame God."
rdmpodcast.jpg

Iffy about the ending. The build up was good, but I honestly didn't see the point in having the truce BS (though it was quality that the Chief strangled Tory for killing Callie). They might as well have just rescued the girl, blasted out of there and had the evil Cylons eat a mouthful of nukes, with a nice shot of Cavill going 'Oh Sheeetttt!!!'

Also what happened to Leeoben?

Can't see why Cara had to run off instead of settling down with Lee tbh, and why didn't they wrap up the whole daughter of Daniel aspect that was being hinted at?

Also yes the 'here and now' epilogue was pretty much ass, though mainly because 'Angel' Gaius was a bad idea that should never ever have been resurrected.

However overall as an End to the series it was ok. Glad Helo made it, because I thought he was dead meat when they left him, and he's always been probably one of the most likeable characters.

Feel it's a shame that through the series they killed off so many of the minor human cast such as Dee, Gaeta, as it kind of robbed humanity finding a refuge with very little personable response to everything.

As a series I'd give it an 8 overall, though the last season was significantly weaker than those before.

I liked the ending because I could see my university in the background when Gaius talks about love. And then you see the race car on Hastings street in the epilogue. But why is head Balthar dressed like a douchebag?

Also reminds me that when Gaius first talks about his raspy homeworld accent, it is completely different than when you hear his father talking.

I've just watched the last episode for the second time and I can honestly say, hand on my heart. What a great final episode! The plot did get a bit wacky at times as I thought they played on religion too much and threw in some pointless filler flashbacks.

The only questions that remain unanswered(for me)

Did Anders fly Galactica into the Sun?

When Gaius was walking with six at the end, atleast two people looked at six. Can these people see angels or is Gaius and six there in the flesh?

Hera looked into the sun/sky towards the end, is Anders a paedophile?

Could of done without the lazy writing and God-did-it laziness that infected the series like a cancer, it was tolerable a cylon system of belief and Baltars own shit but making it a major plot mover to the whole thing, nope.

Kara just dissappearing because she is a magical fairy of God?, pass.

The Colonials settling on Earth and then abandoning all technology for a "purer" (read: tragically short as most have no applicable skills to survive on an alien planet and have straight up abandoned their social support network that they have built up over centuries of civilization) existence was also unbelievable.

I liked some bits, the first half was mostly okay, the bit where Gaius talks about setting up a farm and then breaks down, touching, the bit where Caprica six says she wanted to be proud of him, Tyrol killing that bitch, "great member of the final 5, she did nothing at all the entire series but be a pointless waste of screen-time without any really worth while plot relevance.

So aye, I've always been able to sit down and watch BSG because overall its a good series, just wish the writers have bothered to put a bit more effort and a bit less laziness in the writing, or at least remembering what they wrote before so the new random winged scripts didn't grate with prior events and plot elements.

And yeah, the God did it shit was pointless TBH, didn't add anything and merely subtracted from what would otherwise have been a very solid and enjoyable plot and story, you don't need pointless god shit to explore characters and humanity. I'de rather they left faith as part of a characters own journey rather then an ovveriding driver of the whole thing.

Don't you get it? God was some sort of energy being that is obviously not omnipotent. "It" could only guide things along via the angels, that song, and whatever the deal with Starbuck was.

I agree about giving up technology. It would have made more sense if they actually had tried to build a colony but failed, having used up all their important resources back on New Caprica.

It is kind of tragic for you that you hate God, or the concept of God so much, that you cannot even enjoy a story where it is a plot element. That is kind of messed up. The biblical theme carried a lot of the energy of the story, and I thought it was great.

It is kind of tragic for you that you hate God, or the concept of God so much, that you cannot even enjoy a story where it is a plot element. That is kind of messed up. The biblical theme carried a lot of the energy of the story, and I thought it was great.

Oh ****ing please. There's nothing wrong with the series having religious undertones and given that it started with them it was hardly out of place. The problem was that so much of the story wasn't planned out that at the end they just said "Oh, well, it must have been Divine Goddamn Intervention". Disliking that isn't sacreligious, it's hating lazy writing.

The Matrix movies didn't suck because they had religious undertones. They sucked because they were just bad movies. Stop taking opinions as an insult to your chosen beliefs and grow the hell up.

Oh. Oh shit wait a minute.

You guys remember that episode of Quantum Leap where Sam had that dream where Al was the devil? And he was all like, "WHO TOLD YOU TO PUT RIGHT WHAT I PUT WRONG?!"

Dude. It all makes sense. Cavil was Al, who was the devil, who was the mysterious force. Which is why Head Baltar said "he doesn't like being called God."

I can watch a story with a god or gods quite easily, I just don't like it being a lazy ass fallback for a sci-fi.

I had no problems with the religious elements (bit of a cop out, but it was always going to be something like that) or the flashbacks. Infact I thought the flashbacks were the most interesting parts of the finale - fleshing out charatcers a little and giving us more insight into how things were before the war kicked off. I especially liked Gaius and his dad and how it tied up with the end. The initial fight was good, but those things blend into every Star Wars/Trek/B5 space battle there has ever been and don't do much for me.

I'm still not sure why everyone left the people they care about at the end. Why after such a struggle leave your friends/family behind?

My sister was talking to Jamie Bamber a couple of nights ago, he said he loved the ending but wasn't sure whether the fans would like it as much. He suspected some of the character stuff in it would mean more to the people playing the characters than most of the viewers.

I have to agree with that. I just finished the series, it was epic. But yeah the ending was rather 'super conclusive.' I'm also a sucker for pairings and was disappointed that Kara x Lee and Galen (chief) x Boomer didn't happen. But at least he snapped that brown bitch's neck. I'll have to have a look at the webisodes and other specials. Looking forward albeit not very, to The Plan.

On another note, I remember back when I had no idea what the series was about and saw the commercials for the last season and kept hearing "Who is the last Cylon?"...yeah was a surprise but not all that big XD
I also remember seeing the 4 cylons meeting (not knowing shit) and thought that perhaps by that point everyone was going to die except those guys and they suspected each other of being the last one or something cynical of that sort...yeah that didn't happen.

Back