Bayonetta review. Oh my ..

You know, all this talk about Bayonetta + big tits. From what I can tell they aren't THAT big ... Not like Ivy, Taki, or ... that Ninja Gaiden chick.

Yeah, that combo video doesn't appeal to me at all.

And are Edge really that trustworthy when they give Dragon Age 5/10 and Modern Warfare 2 9/10?

When tastes differ so much can you trust any review score? I'd prefer games weren't given a score at all - it's the text that's important - but Edge tried that once and people complained.

I trust Edge more than most. They love putting the boot in - you should read the Dragon Age 5/10 review - and would gladly jump all over Bayonetta if given the chance. Plus the guy behind Viewtiful Joe was involved. That alone should be enough to get fans of the genre excited.

Individual reviewers might have a brain. But overall, game "journalists" are pretty ****ing retarded.

When tastes differ so much can you trust any review score? I'd prefer games weren't given a score at all - it's the text that's important - but Edge tried that once and people complained.

Well I've actually stopped relying on publications and have found that a metacritic or gamerankings score is much more reliable as it gathers the consensus view on a game over one individuals opinion.

If it does end up getting a decent metacritic score of 85+ (which it may in the end) I'll give it a shot, but so far as you can tell I won't be holding my breath in anticipation.

Because I'd die.

So, Bayonetta ...

Has anyone got this yet? Impressions??

I'm not usually one for fawning over metacritic, and there's a few games that need completing first before I can justfiy parting with the cash, but look!

'The best beat 'em up we've played since God Hand, a game that not only lives to its hype, but surpasses it.' Eat it Darkside! :)

It shall be mine!

Seems like anyone who buys this for the gameplay is a very silly person.

Seems like anyone who buys this for the gameplay is a very silly person.

you serious? the gameplay is arguably the best part about it

anyway, I'll be picking it up sometime this week
report back soon

Looks like generic mgs posing with even worse voice acting. And I seriously hope that's not in game music.

'The best beat 'em up we've played since God Hand, a game that not only lives to its hype, but surpasses it.' Eat it Darkside! :)
Reading this, I was about to go into full on FLARE UP RAGE OF INFERNO mode, however a couple of things: first off, Eurogamer Spain said it's the best beat 'em up they've played since Godhand, and that Bayonetta is surpassing its own hype, not Godhand's (for certainly Godhand had no hype), and is surpassing that--not surpassing Godhand.

Secondly, having played the demo, the very idea that this game could surpass Godhand is laughable. What we have is yet again a game that treads familiar roads rather than pave new ones; in a comparison against the likes of DMC, Ninja Gaiden, or GoW, Bayonetta is a formidable opponent. My own prejudices against the nouveau-beat-em-up combat system aside, there might certainly be something here. If you enjoy it, more power to you.

However there is no way in Bayonetta's Heaven, Dante's Hell, or Kratos' Olympus that the staccato tap, tap, pause, tap of the combos in Bayonetta can ever match the brilliance of the custom combos of Godhand. No witch time slo-mo dodge matches the frenetic, SFIII parry-esque forward tap dodging that happens in real time, not slowed down for people to catch up, take a breather, and score a few easy hits. Aural cues may be fine and dandy, and even a novel way to teach someone how to play a game, but you'll get no such thing in Godhand. In Godhand, you learn to time your dodges and throw your combos based on watching the enemy, learning, and anticipating; there is no helping hand in the form of notes.

Bayonetta might indeed be a great game. Not my cup of tea, mind you--I can only take so much DMC combos and flourishes and "DO YOU WANT TO TOUCH ME?"--but like I said if you enjoy that kind of thing, this may be a grand ol' time for you. However, make no mistake, Warbie: every now and then something comes along and is declared "The best thing since sliced bread." But there's never been something that's come along that's been better than sliced bread. That's why everyone still uses sliced bread as the colloquialism.

Godhand is sliced bread.

>Trusting Metacritic as a definitive source for how a game will be to your own personal tastes.

He is literally the odd one out though, as when his view is compared to the 48 or so reviewers who played God Hand, he is the only one who claims it's revolutionary.

The mainstream reviewer market are all uncultured swine.
God Hand is amazing.

Well...

Bayonetta has an average score that's higher than God Hand's highest rating review. Soooo..... You're apparently the odd one out here, Darkside
Unlike most game reviewers, I'm not a dirty casual. You read how many of those scores mentioned "high learning curve," "brutally difficult," "tough enemy AI," and remarks along those lines? It's a well-known fact that the IGN reviewer for Godhand couldn't even pass the first stage on Level Normal.

Godhand is so fucking hard that on Level Die it puts your balls in a vise attached to the back of a monster truck and guns it over sand dunes. SOME PEOPLE don't like that. Some people feel the need to strike against a game because it's just too damned hard. Some people feel that if a game's controls are complex and not immediately intuitive, requiring you to actually, y'know, LEARN something instead of just mash away on buttons all day, that's a strike against it.

The only reviewer that's ever agreed with me on Godhand is Rab Florence of VideoGaiden. As he said, "When you first play Godhand, the camera seems wrong, the controls feel cumbersome. It's for these reasons that Godhand's gonna be misunderstood by many, and thus ignored by many more. And yet if you give this game a fair shot, it does for beat 'em ups what RE4 did for survival horror."

And then Rab sipped some tea and punched a guy in the face.

Oh also, just a reminder: I was paid $50k dollars a year for my opinions on the vidya. That's a sight higher than most other reviewers. That might be indicative of why you should listen to me more than Joe Schmoe on metacritic. Just throwin' that out there.

Reading this, I was about to go into full on FLARE UP RAGE OF INFERNO mode, however ...

Damnit :)

I'll get you next time.

The demo doesn't touch on the combat in Bayonetta, doesn't scratch the surface. Like with Viewtiful Joe on hard (no visual high or low cues) you also have to 'time your dodges and throw your combos based on watching the enemy, learning, and anticipating'. I've only played the demo and watched the PS3 version being played in an indy shop (which is still good btw, just not the silky greatness of the 360 version) and it's obvious that there is oodles of depth. On top of the basic mechanics which imo smash GoW, NG and DMC, I love how you can pick up weapons from downed enemies Double Dragon Stylee, how items affect gameplay - Ice skates ftw - and just how ****ing insane it gets. There is no other game as bonkers as this. Technicaly, as i've gushed before, Bayonetta is stunning. It's also - and it pains me to say this - so Sega. Everything about Bayonetta screams Sega when they were worth something. It's the game we should have got on the DC2.

Darkside: That's absolutely pathetic for the IGN reviewer to NOT play through the first level of a game in order to review it. Still, there's plenty of hard games out there that have been reviewed better than God Hand on average and have "high learning curves" "brutal difficulty" yada yada yada.

I should probably check God Hand out too now I guess.

Metacritic is simply a good indication that a game isn't shite. It's the hugely positive handson impression from fighting fans - the guys who live and die for stuff like DMC - that makes Bayonetta look like a winner.

The demo doesn't touch on the combat in Bayonetta, doesn't scratch the surface...I've only played the demo
2i6ia2h.jpg

Everything about Bayonetta screams Sega when they were worth something. It's the game we should have got on the DC2.
Don't talk about DC2. I can't take it. ;(
Still, there's plenty of hard games out there that have been reviewed better than God Hand on average and have "high learning curves" "brutal difficulty" yada yada yada.
You know how (or maybe you don't know) gamers complained to Itagaki that Ninja Gaiden was really hard? So hard they hard trouble beating the game? And then Itagaki was like, "Yeah, I hear you. I understand," then smiled his troll smile and made Ninja Gaiden 2 even harder than that?

Godhand is harder than that.

What I said about the IGN reviewer, it's not that he chose not to beat the first stage before turning in his review--it's that he couldn't.

You have to remember too, things like hype DO affect a game's score. It's the 800 pound gorilla in the room nobody wants to talk about, but it's true. Plus there's things like past experiences with the genre (how much of a genre someone's played in order to properly evaluate it against other games in said genre), peoples' feelings on combat style--like I was saying, DMC, GoW, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden, they all belong to the new school of beat 'em up. Godhand is like oldschool 3D beat 'em ups that tried to mimic their 2D predecessors; Fighting Force, Nightmare Creatures, Berserk. That's colored peoples' opinions on beat 'em ups in this day and age and it shows. So all that influences why a game's score is what it is.

It's why Bayonetta, being what's possibly the most refined version of the DMC-style beat 'em up, is marked so highly. Which is great for Bayonetta--it's the distilled perfection (thus far) of a style that's become the norm for beat 'em ups in this day and age. Like I said, I'm just not a fan of that style, but even I can tell you that its combat is at a higher level. And that's precisely why it's getting rave reviews.

Godhand, on the other hand, took beat 'em ups from a different age, looked at them objectively, and said, "This is how we create the best beat 'em up ever."

There's not going to be "a whole load" that isn't shown off in the demo. By that I mean, the most that you can get from the full version is going to be some new weapons that might shift up the mechanics a bit, and of course you're not getting the full story behind the game or seeing all the locales, fighting all the enemies...but the core is there. That's what demos are good for, taking a look at the CORE of a game. It'd be stupid to have a demo that doesn't show you the basic mechanics.

Everything that follows builds on the basic mechanics. So by looking at the basic mechanics I can already tell, "This is how the game is." After all the point of a demo is to entice you to buy it. If I can see how the basics are, that tells me if it's a buy. They're going to put their best face forward and show you the cool stuff you can do in the demo.

The core combat mechanics aren't different. You might be able to do more in the full game, but they're built off the same basics. Sorry Warbie, I cannot be swayed into believing that giving Bayonetta the time of day will unlock some magical mystery secret of glorious gaming combat lying hidden under the bland, repetitious crust.

The combat in Bayonetta revolves around using certain weapon sets in conjunction with certain items. This is what sets it aside from the DMCs of this world. None of this is in the demo. Air dodges, counters, everything bar the core moves, isn't there.

Warbie, if I rent this game and it's rehash, do I get to e-punch you in the face?

:O

I guess we'll find out on friday whether it's rejoicing or multiple e-punches.

I'm interested in how this will turn out. Even after playing the demo I can't help but think that it may be a better clone of dmc but it is still a dmc clone nevertheless :|

Seriously what's up with those ridicules poses? Jump from 50ft, land with a loud thump, and look up over (sun)glasses with serious expresion. Stay in crouched position for a while, then slowly, and dramaticly stand up. With serious expresion. It was the same in all the MGS games.

Seriously what's up with those ridicules poses? Jump from 50ft, land with a loud thump, and look up over (sun)glasses with serious expresion. Stay in crouched position for a while, then slowly, and dramaticly stand up. With serious expresion. It was the same in all the MGS games.
Remember, its Japan. As long as they think its cool its all ok.

Back