Better then the HL2 characters?

welll i gotta admit the MOHPA soldier face is looks mighty fine! i mean the dirt on face, the teeth! sooooo cool.

prob using the same BRAND new engine so hay both same i say.

(but hl2 have the better ANIMATIONS and better all around :) )

can someone take that screenshot of the soldiers face and scale it upto 1024x768, i wanna see how distored it'll look, unfortunately i dont have anything installed right now to do the job.

[edit]

it wont be all that distored, it'll just be a taller image, making everything look thinner, but i dont know how much thinner.

Why scale it to 1024x768?

... and the picture of the G-Man was in the Source engine... not a render. That is from the tech demo where they show off the Source engine's facial detail and lip-synching. If you see the G-Man from that close in the game that is what he will look like.

New argument: Look at the stripes things hanging from his helmet, that does not look like in-game. It almost look 2D, and it doesn't match with the backround very well (it looks strange)

Originally posted by OCybrManO
Why scale it to 1024x768?

... and the picture of the G-Man was in the Source engine... not a render. That is from the tech demo where they show off the Source engine's facial detail and lip-synching. If you see the G-Man from that close in the game that is what he will look like.

well, what res would they scale it down from? its not a standard game res right now, and lifthz thinks it might be scaled down, so, how bout we scale it back up so we can see what it would look like ingame....

The HL2 faces have better eyes, by far than the MOHPA undecided image. (screen or render)

Originally posted by NiteStalker
New argument: Look at the stripes things hanging from his helmet, that does not look like in-game. It almost look 2D, and it doesn't match with the backround very well (it looks strange)

Look at his clothes is my major point. Anyone telling me that looks like CG quality should be smacked. The clothes look very average textured, you could even say BAD textured.

trust me it is ingame!

they wouldn't jus go out their way, make a really detailed face, show it to everyone and say, here is a soldiers face you will not be seeing ingame.

trust it will be ingame face :)

2D? Can I have some of whatever you are smoking?
If you can't see the sharp corners of some of the polygons on those straps you must not have your corrective lenses on... and they leave shadows on the guy's shirt.

It's probably not "scaled" down... it's most likely cropped from 1024x768 (for what reason I don't know).

Originally posted by commando
trust me it is ingame!

they wouldn't jus go out their way, make a really detailed face, show it to everyone and say, here is a soldiers face you will not be seeing ingame.

Could just be a cutscene model, either way i hope the characters would look like that in game, i'd play it! (not that im a graphics whore, but i really never like medal of honor series)

Originally posted by commando
trust me it is ingame!

Um, because that's what production companies do to promote games? Haven't you seen the render of Gordon/Alyx? (Hint, look at the top of your page) Valve does it too.

Originally posted by Typhon
Um, because that's what production companies do to promote games? Haven't you seen the render of Gordon/Alyx? (Hint, look at the top of your page) Valve does it too.

That is different... those are "high poly" (probably on the order of hundreds of thousands of polygons if those pictures at the top of the page are polygonal.
The character in the MOHPA picture looks like it is less than 10000... which is "medium poly" or "semi-high poly".

With that amount of jpeg compression it's hard to see details.

That is different... those are "high poly" (probably on the order of hundreds of thousands of polygons if those pictures at the top of the page are polygonal.
The character in the MOHPA picture looks like it is less than 10000... which is "medium poly" or "semi-high poly".

lol those arent renders... but drawings

... which is why I also said "if those pictures at the top of the page are polygonal."

With that amount of jpeg compression it's hard to see details.

the original jpeg compression was very high.. for the landscape-planes screenshot... What I did is lower the resulotion and higher te compression on the soldier screen

... which is why I also said "if those pictures at the top of the page are polygonal."

ok sorry you are right :)

Someone said that they would not make a good looking screenshot and not have it in-game, but that it is likely they've done that.
ID made models for Doom3 that they scaled down a lot! And they showed the pics in PC Gamer and stuff.

I'm up in the air over whether its ingame myself. On one hand it seems to be much more detailed than anything else in the game. On the other EA still has a LOT of work to do on the game, so its possible that they have yet to even put the new faces ingame and clean up the graphics.
I don't doubt for a minute that modifications like that are possible, another instance would be Tribes:V in which they've torn apart the Unreal Engine and updated it.

Lets get a couple of things clear.

1. The whole game doesn't look anywhere near Doom 3 or Far Cry or Half-Life 2 really overally.

2. It's just the face that is that detailed and good looking, the rest seems more close to "average" if you must.

About the engine

Thothegame says:

Medal of Honor Pacific Assault follows the tradition of previous Medal of Honor products with a brand new arsenal of weapons, new enemies, and new storyline. In addition, Pacific Assault features new multiplayer modes in which up to 32 players can choose soldiers from American, British, Japanese, and other armies. Medal of Honor Pacific Assault will also debut a new 3D technology built specifically for Medal of Honor.

Someone said that they would not make a good looking screenshot and not have it in-game, but that it is likely they've done that.
ID made models for Doom3 that they scaled down a lot! And they showed the pics in PC Gamer and stuff.

There is a difference between putting up pictures of the ultra-high-poly models that are used to generate normal maps for lower-poly versions (as was done in Doom3) and putting up pictures like this one.

Originally posted by Lifthz
Lets get a couple of things clear.

1. The whole game doesn't look anywhere near Doom 3 or Far Cry or Half-Life 2 really overally.

2. It's just the face that is that detailed and good looking, the rest seems more close to "average" if you must.

That's exactly why it would most likely be a render of some kind, the latest MoH games aren't known specifically for their staggering graphics, but the gameplay they offer...

There is a difference between putting up pictures of the ultra-high-poly models that are used to generate normal maps for lower-poly versions (as was done in Doom3) and putting up pictures like this one.

How do you know the MOH pic isn't a high poly pic like the ones in Doom3? It's possible it's a real model but that they will scale it down.

Personally I think it could be in game. Compare it to some of the cry tek polybump screenshots or the late build stalker ones as well as the hl2 or doom3 pics.

Considering it's 5 years since half life and even longer since quake it's about time some of the new tech on gfx cards and the new dev techniques got used. Games gfx are not as far ahead of games 5 years ago as hardware is over the same period.

When hl1 came out people were on P150 machines with not even 3dfx back then. Compare that to a game from 6 months ago and a p4 3Ghz wth a radeon 9800 pro which was about right. The hardware has advnced masssively and has never been used properly by games.

Hopefully source, doom 3, crytek, stalker etc can start to use the available tech. Maybe we can add MOH to the list.

If it is in game you'd have to question the gfx card they have used for the pic and and what sort of frame rate you'd get.

Originally posted by Abom|nation
That's exactly why it would most likely be a render of some kind, the latest MoH games aren't known specifically for their staggering graphics, but the gameplay they offer...

But I really don't know why you are comparing it to recent MOH games when it's a totally different engine.... they are in fact improving the graphics.

And again I state, even if you look at the supposedly "pre-rendered image" you would see the clothing texture and the wall texture in the background look considerably far less detailed and pretty much just like the ones shown in the other screens showing action...

Err? Make up your minds. Some say it's a new engine and some it isn't.

IT IS a new engine.

"FIGHT THE JAPANESE IMPERIAL ARMY IN EA'S MEDAL OF HONOR PACIFIC ASSAULT FOR PC

REDWOOD CITY, Calif. - August 7, 2003 - Step into the boots of a U.S. Marine and drive the Imperial Japanese Army from the Pacific in Medal of Honor Pacific Assault from Electronic Arts (Nasdaq: ERTS). Developed by EA Los Angeles, creators of the award-winning Medal of Honor series, Medal of Honor Pacific Assault immerses players in an authentic WWII experience, and will be available for the PC early 2004 under the EA GAMES™ brand.

Medal of Honor Pacific Assault gives players a sense of the courage it took to fight the Imperial Japanese Army from the shock of Pearl Harbor to triumph on the shores of the Tarawa Atoll. Set in the Pacific Theatre of Operations from 1941-1944, players will assume the role of Marine recruit Tom Conlin as he survives the attack on Pearl Harbor, leads the assault on Guadalcanal, and finally charges up the beaches for the climatic battle at Tarawa. Armed with their wits and a variety of authentic weapons, it's up to players to stop the Japanese war machine in its tracks.

Medal of Honor Pacific Assault follows the tradition of previous Medal of Honor products with a brand new arsenal of weapons, new enemies, and new storyline. In addition, Pacific Assault features new multiplayer modes in which up to 32 players can choose soldiers from American, British, Japanese, and other armies. Medal of Honor Pacific Assault will also debut a new 3D technology built specifically for Medal of Honor.

As with the original Medal of Honor game, the producers sought counsel from numerous expert sources to ensure the game is as historically authentic as possible. EALA continues to work closely with the Congressional Medal of Honor Society to ensure Medal of Honor Pacific Assault reflects the ideals and integrity of the prestigious Medal of Honor. In addition, Capt. Dale Dye, who served as military technical advisor on the previous titles in the Medal of Honor franchise, continues his efforts with the Medal of Honor Pacific Assault team. The EA Medal of Honor franchise website is www.moh.ea.com."

How do you know the MOH pic isn't a high poly pic like the ones in Doom3? It's possible it's a real model but that they will scale it down.
Never once did I say it wasn't possible... but I said that considering the other facts and that the amount of detail doesn't match typical promotional renders or models used to generate normal maps it is more likely that it is supposed to look like that in the game.

You wouldn't get good normal maps out of something of that detail... and to get it down to MOHAA standards would take lots of optimizing (then they would have to redo the UVW Mapping and maybe even the skin). Also, the detail is supposed to meet the standards for next year's games and the way the other games look they can't cut out a lot of detail or it won't be able to...

The gamespot article says it's the same engine with rewritten code for rendering, lighting and other bits.

Basically I expect the pyhysics and the netcode along with vehicle handling and user control will be the same but they appear to have rewritten the visuals completely if that screenie is in game.

"Medal of Honor Pacific Assault will also debut a new 3D technology built specifically for Medal of Honor. "

Could mean new gfx code or a new physics engine or snazzy goggles you put on your head whilst shouting "ahwoooohaaa" and ducking out the way of unfeasibly plastic looking sharks.

Anyone got a more detailed answer anywhere?

May as well say the Source engine is the same engine used in Half-Life 1. Only they added a new physics engine and snazzy goggles... [/sarcasm]

The ignorance here is rediculous.

You people need to realize that HL2 is not the only game on the planet to make use of Shaders and other DX9 effects. Their expression technology may be innovative, but simple selection of texture res maps and polygon counts and then covered with shaders are something any monkey can do to make things look good. The real question is whether something can look good WHILE playing well: something we can't possibly know until we have the game in our hands. Seriously though: I dunno why people think that it's hard to get faces that detailed: there are plenty of DX9 demos (like that NVIDA chick) that do stuff like this in real time.

Problem is many people here believe only Half-LIfe 2 can do anything like this.

the article says a new 3d technology.

YOU have not seen details of physics interaction, animation, movement, lighting, hit detection, level of detail, net code or anything. For the sake of a handful of still images, which lets face it in this day and age tell us increasingly little about the quality of a game, you have claimed it's an entirely new engine.

A respected news site which actually met the devs has stated it's an improved graphics system on top of the Q3 engine.

Saying a new 3d techinlogy is marketting talk, it means nothing, I could invent a new 3d technology that uses all your processing power and draws very little. Doesn't mean it's any good.

In reseponse to the mocking about an upgrade of hl1 we know massive amounts of detail regarding the engines of hl2, far cry, stalker etc yet all EA can give us is their standard new tech line, personally I think it's old tech with new gfx as stated by gamespot.

Oh and it's ridiculous, not rediculous ;-)

Who was talking about if it's any good anyway? This discussion was supposed to be based on if the face is real in-game or not. Point blank really.

It's like now it's jumped from Source vs MOH Tech automatically...

And as i've stated before. It's clear that the overall game engine doesn't look on par with Doom 3, Far Cry, HL-2 etc, etc. But the FACE DOES.

Look at the picture attached, tell me it looks exactly the same as the first picture. It doesn't. It's ingame, and it looks very much similar to the other MoH games' faces. It's a bad scan, but you can instantly tell it's not as detailed as our supposed "ingame shot" from the first post.

Originally posted by Lifthz
Are you proud of it?

Yeah, true that. I think this debate is going nowhere. For the same reason too. We don't know!

Back