Black Mesa: Source Media Update

kupoartist said:
Realtime as in the count the minutes accurately, or Realtime as in they show the time as it is the moment you play? The former is needed, yes, but the later would be horrid and so stupid that I can only assume that you meant the former :p

The former, definitely. Alternatively, they could just use a nasty hack and time how long it takes the tram to travel between clocks and update the display accordingly.

Pi Mu Rho said:
The former, definitely. Alternatively, they could just use a nasty hack and time how long it takes the tram to travel between clocks and update the display accordingly.
What, you mean... cheat?!:eek:

Absolutely love Black Mesa Inbound. Fantastic work! I will sacrifice a 100 PS2s in your honour!

Pi Mu Rho said:
Yeah, as the Inbound section is quite literally on rails, it doesn't matter about having realtime clocks, because they'd be the same time everytime you encounter them. Be better to not waste the processing power on them. That said, it would be very nice to see realtime clocks later in the free-form sections. Like a big one that is ticking when you enter the lab...

Looking good as ever. Can't wait for this mod. Be fantastic going through the original (better) game again. If this mod lives up to peoples expectations & those screenshots then we're in for a treat. And if that is the case I think Valve should adopt this as their official HL Source update instead of that pony effort they knocked up!

Ticking clocks are easy :)

Pi Mu Rho said:
Ticking clocks are easy :)
I certainly won't argue with the voice of experience :) Though it is something that games get lazy about and frequently do without. Clocks tend to get conveniently unpluged or broken in game worlds...

Jesus Christ.

I'm glad Inbound is one of the shortest chapters.

kupoartist said:
This looks fabulous, but I don't know. I look at this and think they're remaking some other mod's take on hidden sections of the Tram network. No matter how much it is changed for the new engine, the tram ride still needs to have certain key locations pop up. Obviously, that's out of the scope of a few teaser screenshots, but I still want to see a Helipad, a rocket, a toxic spill and enough bits to make me feel like i'm still in Black Mesa, traveling to Anomalous Materials and not like I've chosen instead to take the alternative High-Definition line into work...

I do believe those main areas you listed already are or will soon be added to this Inbound section.

The map work is fantastic, I just don't think it looks Black Mesa.

Agreed. While it looks TEH SECHS, from the shots you've shown it just doesn't feel the same.

-Angry Lawyer

kupoartist said:
I certainly won't argue with the voice of experience :) Though it is something that games get lazy about and frequently do without. Clocks tend to get conveniently unpluged or broken in game worlds...

Yeah, it is just laziness. It's been possible to do analogue clocks since Quake 2...

Samon said:
The map work is fantastic, I just don't think it looks Black Mesa.
I personally feel those areas do have the Black Mesa feel (with subtle touches like those ageing-office complex style doors), I just find them hard to imagine as part of the original train journey. That's probably just a consequence of me imaging the memorably key sections of said journey in a hazy quake-o-vision, interspersed with these new locations though. As those memorable sections are supposedly in, I'm sure the complete journey won't disappoint anyone but the stricter purists...

Its the only team I trust to do this! I think this is how Vavle would do it.
Not so important but still something I want to say is the fact that the rails have changed, so the design of the train will probably be different to. Why not like in the old HL?

@people who complaing about the light, did you ever take a metro? BM is underground, its normal its dark at some places.

*me pisses in pants while drooling to death...*
oh wait *and jaw drops too*

one thing for the moderators, i think it'll be better if you insert date on the title too, some people, including me, may thing this is an old thread.
EDIT: it would look better if it was the same way HL1's tram looked like, but i think the problem may be the physics...

As we've said before, its too hard to simply recreate something, whilst saying we'll be making it Source worthy, you have to adapt things to look good but still play as the original did.

Think of movie makes of books, you have to keep to the original but make it look good, Lord of the Rings obviously changed the storyline and graphics around to make it work for a movie, its sort of the same for us, just without hobbits and an elf.

The following areas should feel more base like, these are the beginning areas by the dormatories if anyone saw the signs on the walls, they're supposed to feel used and busy.

whaha 57th post ! :)

looking good black mesa, keep up the outstanding work.
outstanding is a word, right ?

-dodo

excellent work! i can't wait to see what you guys can come up with next!

I think the team could mess around with recreating some textures: people recognise textures, not architecture.

Stunning work, can't wait for it's release!

Geogriffith said:
The third screenshot is pure genius. A tram schedule kiosk? It's perfect. God, it almost looks like an airport.

i love the attention to detail right down to the correct time on that clock (8:47 am)

Kalashnikov said:
We can't take a straight original HL approach to this. We not only need to re-make Half-Life, but we must also re-invision. We need to look at what the area was, what the area felt and meant, and then what Source can achieve.

Kalashnikov said:
Think of movie makes of books, you have to keep to the original but make it look good, Lord of the Rings obviously changed the storyline and graphics around to make it work for a movie, its sort of the same for us, just without hobbits and an elf.

:(

Looks pretty but I doubt I'll play it.

Just seeing how big the tram terminus is, I wonder how big the dormitories is? :eek:

Its a shame you won't see the dormitories :(

That Chopper (Apache?) gave me an orgasm *drools*

That's a great idea for BM:S, keep the original gameplay, yet still use source to it's limit as if you were making a full non-remake mod. I don't know how others can say with a frown that it doesn't look like Black Mesa, my God, it looks close enough for me. The more crucial parts will be the same layout, don't you worry.

As long as the Tentacles are brought to life with the max source potential, im getting this MOD no matter what

or I hav bad memory or there is some changes?

*Bursts into incandescent cloud of funny*

Llama said:
As long as the Tentacles are brought to life with the max source potential, im getting this MOD no matter what
Holy crap, I forgot about those.
/Me tries to imagine what they will look like.
/Me fails and decides to wait for the mod.

Holy shit...that looks awesome, GJ Black Mesa Modder duders

Back