Blood curdling zombie scream

That would make sense...

I don't think that the corpse-parasitism is a permanent thing, though... I can sort of see how they might control mostly-dead flesh, but I'm pretty sure they'd have a lot of trouble mutating it enough to be useful to them...

are you talking about those screams when the zombies get set on fire in that shack? If so, I thought they were kinda lame.

The screams were cool the first few times I heard them, but then they got kind of annoying.

Dark Auro said:
It kind of makes sense now why the corpse zombies are faster. With the normal zombies, the host is still alive and probably trying to fight back to regain control so there is a constant fight for power over the body but the headcrab is slightly more powerful but isn't able to control the body that well. With the dead corpse, there is nothing to keep the headcrab from controlling the body so it's able to use the body's full power without having to worry about a fight with a live host.
... then why wouldnt the headcrab simply just kill the host?

something about the screams just didn't seem right. Wayyy too human for an alienish creature.

dunno, just didn't sit right with me.

you guys are being way to critical and analytical about how the zombies scream. its just a game, who cares if its unrealistic if they can scream but the host is dead. games arent supposed to make sense. geez

Mr. Redundant said:
... then why wouldnt the headcrab simply just kill the host?

That's something you'll have to ask the Headcrab. I don't really know. Maybe for nourishment or something?

Question is if the headcrabs are actually sentient creatures that attack things to take them over. Are they just hungry or are they actively trying to assimilate other beings into the headcrab species? Sort of like the Borg. I think that Big Momma is (was?) a sentient creature, because what headcrabs do is pretty inefficient if their only goal is nourishment. I wonder if the zombies evolve past the genome stage into something that looks completely nonhuman or something.

heheheh, see what HL2 does to people. You are debateing whether a zombie should scream or not on the basis that if the chest is open then the lungs would have no air and screaming would become impossible.....:O

Helloooo, they are zombies.... in a game.... that incidently scream because it sounds cool and distirbing. ;)

Mac said:
something about the screams just didn't seem right. Wayyy too human for an alienish creature.

dunno, just didn't sit right with me.

ditto, I was like wait what? they arent human

I guess they attack stuff because they're hungry and they can kill Gordon easier that way..
(Wouldn't be so fun if they weren't hungry, simply :) )

And I love the screams and sounds they make, a little better than in the original Half-Life.

GorgeousOrifice said:
Question is if the headcrabs are actually sentient creatures that attack things to take them over. Are they just hungry or are they actively trying to assimilate other beings into the headcrab species? Sort of like the Borg. I think that Big Momma is (was?) a sentient creature, because what headcrabs do is pretty inefficient if their only goal is nourishment. I wonder if the zombies evolve past the genome stage into something that looks completely nonhuman or something.

Headcraps are like insects in the larvae stage like maggots they look for a food source or material to bring them to the next stage of their evolution. Sentinence is not necessary for them to do something within their biological nature. This does not rule out their ability to be sentient at a later stage of their evolution.

My Guess is the host NEEDS to be living, the head crab shuts down everything but the hosts autonomous functions and takes over the motor functions and then corrupts the hosts own systems and mutates to the next stage. The host needs to continue to be alive I.E. it won't work on a dead body.

Sort of like the puppet masters except the hosts personality or higher functions are supressed/destroyed and mutation occurs. What may be a theory to explain the screams is that when the hosts systems become overloaded in extreme situations (the pain from fire, the headcrab needs to relax control on non essential things (voicebox etc) to maintain control over motor functions etc.. therfore the screaming happens through the intact or modified lungs of the host.

Headcrabs can probably survive in numerous environements, our atmosphere, methane, underwater etc they seed a target world and then take over the biological functions of the indeginous species to gain a foothold and adapt accordingly to the worlds/dimensions conditions for life.

Another thing I caught on in the videos was that the zombie voice sounds echoed from within a very small space and slightly distorted from the thin outer shell. The host is, more than likely, kept alive during much of the process.

I think the headcrab people are "alive" in sort of the way the people are alive in Aliens: their bodies are still functioning, and their minds are at least semi-conscious, but they are basically in a near-death, dreamlike state.

How do people always manage to typo "headcraps" The "b" key is like, nowhere near the "p" key or even the "a" or "r" keys. Of course, it's pretty funny...

Apos said:
How do people always manage to typo "headcraps" The "b" key is like, nowhere near the "p" key or even the "a" or "r" keys. Of course, it's pretty funny...

We're just so used to typing crap ... I mean how often to you have a discussion online about crabs ?

I headcrap both on purpose and by accident, usually when I am talking about forum rank its on purpose. Most other times it is an accident.

CLAYMAN said:
We're just so used to typing crap ... I mean how often to you have a discussion online about crabs ?

touche

i think the funniest thing about all these headcrab related threads is that when Marc Laidlaw or whoever thought up the HCs was coming up with the idea it was probably something like

"Hey lets make a small annoying alien that leaps at your face and makes zombies outt a people!"

and here we are talking about the complex biological tendencies behind the afore mentioned critter

i thought it was extremely cool. the'zombies' where screaming in freaking agony because they where on fire. you would too.

CreamOfetus said:
man, i hope this game has non-human head crabbed... things.

Did you see the father Gregori part of the E3 Video??

yeah, it had what apeared to be headcrabbed human corpses. i want head crabbed aliens.

CreamOfetus said:
yeah, it had what apeared to be headcrabbed human corpses. i want head crabbed aliens.

What was the thing that was moving like lightening that took gordon out?>

Apos said:
A headcrabed corpse, apparently.

I thought it was a headcrabbed animal but I guess I was wrong? Any body have a screenie of it?? Because why wood a corpse move 5 times faster than a headcrabbed human??

Stryyder said:
I thought it was a headcrabbed animal but I guess I was wrong? Any body have a screenie of it?? Because why wood a corpse move 5 times faster than a headcrabbed human??

Because the corpse can't fight back , thus the headcrab has full control of the body.. It's a human.

CrazyHarij said:
Because the corpse can't fight back , thus the headcrab has full control of the body.. It's a human.

Me sad don't have video here, got to watch it again. I thought the sucer was running on all fours for some stupid reason.

Stryyder said:
Me sad don't have video here, got to watch it again. I thought the sucer was running on all fours for some stupid reason.

It ran a lot like a chimpanzee. I'm not sure what is more creepy to be honest, the screaming burning zombies or the fast ones. Also judging by the speed of those things, I don't see Father Gregori having a big part in the game :dozey:

Kadayi Polokov said:
It ran a lot like a chimpanzee. I'm not sure what is more creepy to be honest, the screaming burning zombies or the fast ones. Also judging by the speed of those things, I don't see Father Gregori having a big part in the game :dozey:

Heh, by the sounds of what was going on, he'd snuffed it 2 seconds after one of those things attacked him.

Kadayi Polokov said:
Also judging by the speed of those things, I don't see Father Gregori having a big part in the game :dozey:

:p

LOL He looks a little to rolly polly to be fast on his feet.

Stryyder said:
:p

LOL He looks a little to rolly polly to be fast on his feet.

I vouch to make sure that when I play Father Gregori lives or at least long enough to act as bait whilst I high tail it outta there (tempted to get that shotgun off him firstly though....) :angel:

the only thing I can see them adding to the ordinary zombies that would make them any scarier, would be female zombies with a scream......that would just run chills down my spine hearing that high-pitched, nightmarish scream.......

There are 2 new types of headcrab that create different zombies...
normal headcrab : normal zombie from HL1
speed headcrab : the fast zombies in the gregory video
poison headcrab : this is in the leak, dont want to spoil...

why dont you people stop being so ignorant and listen to the zombies earlier in the video, they make sounds... and when the zombie catches on fire it doesnt say "oh god no" it just screams... they make grunting sounds when they are alive and scream when they are dead, that's that.

Snipe1guy said:
the only thing I can see them adding to the ordinary zombies that would make them any scarier, would be female zombies with a scream......that would just run chills down my spine hearing that high-pitched, nightmarish scream.......

That would be like those cyborg chicks from system shock... man just thinking about those things scare the crap out of me.

Back