Borderlands

I was really excited about it at first but the more gameplay footage i see the less i am getting impressed by it. These "humorous" videos are not helping their cause either.

Ditto. I especially liked this part:

In fact, with Borderlands we have HEAVILY prioritized game play and action and made sure that the story is there to enable that and not get in the way of that. There is story and purpose and plot, of course, but we push that stuff to the background as much as possible and not force story down your throat. I PROMISE there is only, like, less than five minutes or so of cutscenes at the beginning to set things up and only another cutscene or two in the middle and at the end and that the value is in the actual game play. I PROMISE there won’t be a single flow-chart dialogue tree kind of thing in the game. I PROMISE that when we have story elements to offer you, that the game will put that stuff up in the corner with voice over driving it so that you can stop and pay attention if you want, or just keep on playing and doing whatever you want instead.

AKA, the story isn't very good/we didn't put too much effort into it.

AKA, the story isn't very good/we didn't put too much effort into it.

The latter option most likely. And on purpose if Randy Pitchfork is to be believed. To be honest I prefer it that way. I am not really into story-heavy RPG's like Bioware games for example. I'd much rather have an elaborate gunwank experience where the story is merely the mechanic that brings you from one encounter to the next. The core idea of this game seems to be coop PvE experiences á la WoW dungeons but with guns and shooter gameplay. The singleplayer game supposedly suffers a bit from that focus. And if you buy Borderlands for the solo experience you will most likely find it lacking. Some previews already mentioned this. But I am interested in this game for the core idea. WoW item fever and coop gameplay in a shooter package. Sounds like the perfect game for me.

I wish there were more story driven games. I hate you mainstream gamers!

The latter option most likely. And on purpose if Randy Pitchfork is to be believed. To be honest I prefer it that way. I am not really into story-heavy RPG's like Bioware games for example. I'd much rather have an elaborate gunwank experience where the story is merely the mechanic that brings you from one encounter to the next. The core idea of this game seems to be coop PvE experiences á la WoW dungeons but with guns and shooter gameplay. The singleplayer game supposedly suffers a bit from that focus. And if you buy Borderlands for the solo experience you will most likely find it lacking. Some previews already mentioned this. But I am interested in this game for the core idea. WoW item fever and coop gameplay in a shooter package. Sounds like the perfect game for me.

Pretty much how I feel about it; I don't care particularly for the story, I just want to be a loot whore.

I read over at www.Rockpapershotgun.com that one of the devs said it takes about 100+ hours to finish the game, which to my mind is ludicrous. The average gamer is over 25, not a student with lots of spare time. Who in their right mind has 100 hours these days? The Witcher was 70 hours and took me about 6-8 weeks to complete in my spare time.

Sure its not essential to finish a game, but making a game that long really is putting finishing beyond the patience of most players, esp those of us who are aficionado's and buy a lot of titles throughout the year.

I'd take remarks by that with a pinch of salt, especially if they're made by devs. The 100+ hours is probably when you want to get every achievement, every boss on 5 different difficulties, etc.

They said it was 1 playthrough & it was more if you went after the everything....

I WANT TO SEE THE GOD DAMN LOOT

WHY DONT THEY EVER SHOW THE ****ING LOOT

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I'm down with the game being 100+ hours. Games these days are too short, such as Ghostbusters, which I enjoyed but it only took me about 5 hours to beat it. Same with Mirrors Edge and Portal. I say **** 15- hour games. Bring on the lengthy games with good replay factor.

I read over at www.Rockpapershotgun.com that one of the devs said it takes about 100+ hours to finish the game, which to my mind is ludicrous. The average gamer is over 25, not a student with lots of spare time. Who in their right mind has 100 hours these days? The Witcher was 70 hours and took me about 6-8 weeks to complete in my spare time.

Sure its not essential to finish a game, but making a game that long really is putting finishing beyond the patience of most players, esp those of us who are aficionado's and buy a lot of titles throughout the year.

If a dev says the game is 100 hours long.... I bet it'll take a hardcore gamer like 25-35 hours to beat.

Devs always overestimate just how long their content lasts, even with playtesters. I remember the lead designer for God of War said it took his fastest tester 24 hours to beat it without getting anything extra... It took the average person 8-9 and get just about everything.

That being said, I'm looking forward to this, no matter how long it is.

I'm down with the game being 100+ hours. Games these days are too short, such as Ghostbusters, which I enjoyed but it only took me about 5 hours to beat it. Same with Mirrors Edge and Portal. I say **** 15- hour games. Bring on the lengthy games with good replay factor.

I get maybe 10-15 hours gaming in a week, so personally given I buy a lot of games 30-40 hours or 2 - 3 weeks of entertainment out of a title is more than sufficient for me (freeing me up to play other titles). 100 hours is like 2 - 3 months of my playtime, so never going to happen.

I get maybe 10-15 hours gaming in a week, so personally given I buy a lot of games 30-40 hours or 2 - 3 weeks of entertainment out of a title is more than sufficient for me (freeing me up to play other titles). 100 hours is like 2 - 3 months of my playtime, so never going to happen.

Well, that's fine, but there are plenty of 8-10 hour games for people who don't the time. But for people who have time to spare or don't mind having a game stretched out over a couple months, this one is for them. Personally I'm sick of buying a game for $50 and being finished with it in under a week, especially in these recent few months where are practically zero games coming out. So I'm excited that that there's a game like Borderlands that's basically loot whoring and first person shootering for as long as you want until you get sick of it.

Borderlands is coming to Steam. Plus Gearbox confirmed some extras for the PC version:
- The ability to export item cards to .jpg files
- Timedemo benchmark software
- Menu and inventory systems that are specifically designed for use with a mouse

[Via Destructoid]

They should make a trailer on each character type. They didn't do that yet, did they?

Well, that's fine, but there are plenty of 8-10 hour games for people who don't the time. But for people who have time to spare or don't mind having a game stretched out over a couple months, this one is for them. Personally I'm sick of buying a game for $50 and being finished with it in under a week, especially in these recent few months where are practically zero games coming out. So I'm excited that that there's a game like Borderlands that's basically loot whoring and first person shootering for as long as you want until you get sick of it.

No games came out? Are you sure on that?

Also when the lean times do hit, personally I've got plenty of back catalogue to keep me occupied.

Does anyone know to what extent you can customize your character? Somewhere they have mentioned in the beginning you can chose your character's "look", though I heard some things are static. So perhaps you can change the armor/clothes/color they are wearing.

I haven't heard anything about the customization nor did i learn much about the characters apart from the few combat videos. No, instead we got some lame attempts at humor videos that do nothing else but bore the crap out of me.

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showpost.php?p=1441782&postcount=194

And as for visuals. We separated the visual customizations of the characters from the gear upgrades to allow people to look how they want without affecting their gear. Like in some games... you end up looking like a total dork just to get the stats you need. Not so in Borderlands. The characters can be customized and re-customized at any New-U station around Pandora.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/08/05/rps-interrogation-randy-pitchford-vs-the-fans/
Then there’s the shields and the grenades – and the grenades can be programmed, there’s all these interesting grenades you can discover. In addition, there’s the tons of weapons in the games. So we’ve invested in more variety for more useful items in terms of offensive purpose. There is some defensive stuff in the shields, but in terms of paper-doll, dressing-up your character stuff, we’ve backed off from that because you’re playing the game from the first-person. In WoW, I’m seeing my character all the time so it seems really relevant to affect your avatar on a constant basis. In Borderlands, it’s not that relevant.

We do let you customise the colour and the name, so there’ll be four Bricks in one game and you’ll be able to tell them apart. It’s a smart trade-off – it allows the investment of that stuff to be towards the visible action. I think when you play it you’ll see the values there.

I'm going to guess the latter is more accurate.

It'll be ok if you play with people you know, although a want/need system would have been nice.

Friends are better than randoms in any game, but sometimes there isn't an alternative. Need/greed would indeed have been better.

I really wonder how balanced all the classes are. I could see one or two of them really being used the most.

Wow!!! That joystiq video was more than enough to turn me off. Looks abysmal.

dammit I'm conflicted whether to get the steam or xbox360 version. splitscreen co-op is friends is too tempting

What I've done is, I preordered a retail PC version for five dollars. The Xbox 360 version comes out one week prior to the PC version. If it gets awful reviews in that week I'll cancel and revoke my preorder.

Wow!!! That joystiq video was more than enough to turn me off. Looks abysmal.

What exactly, the combat? They are fighting level 2's and as Pitchfork has stated a couple of times, stuff is easy then to show you the ropes. Think the newbie zones in WoW f.e. Footage from higher level combat like the G4TV preview looks much better.

I really wonder how balanced all the classes are. I could see one or two of them really being used the most.

Yeah, wondering about that too. Most of the balancing has probably gone into the co-op part, but there is also the team deathmatch part of the game. There will probably be a couple of unbeatable builds. I suspect Gearbox will use the first couple of months as a 'beta' for this part of the game.

It's available for preorder on steam now:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/8980/

Sold!
sold.jpg

"This game will unlock in approximately 3 weeks, 2 days and 21 hours." Can't wait!

What exactly, the combat? They are fighting level 2's and as Pitchfork has stated a couple of times, stuff is easy then to show you the ropes. Think the newbie zones in WoW f.e. Footage from higher level combat like the G4TV preview looks much better.

No it looks abysmal because the enemies just stand there shooting you while you just stand there shooting them. No video I have seen shows anything else, other than people standing or maybe strafing each other and shooting. It looks like there is no point in trying to avoid taking damage, no point in doing anything other than holding your mouse button down, and no point to the entire god damn game because all it looks like its going to be is a pen and paper RPG. And a poor one at that, because even pen and paper RPGs have you do more than stand still and shoot.

Back