Collectors Edition will include... Er. HOW MUCH

Status
Not open for further replies.
They wont be $40, because 90% of people buying the Source ports will be people who have played the mods before, for free, therefore wont be willing to shell out more than about $25 USD.

I for one, could easily pay up 150 dollars. That ain't very much. Like 2 or maybe 3 PC Games over here in Sweden. Steel Battalion costs around 230+ dollars & even that ain't that much. And I don't even have a JOB :D (I haven't bought SB but it's still pretty fair to me)

If the CE contains all that (around 6 bloody games...!) then I believe it's well worth it. Too bad I don't have that kind of money right now (only around 120 or so...) :E

I'll be in the "wait and see" camp for this when we actually have it available.

It depends on what the "and more" part means, but I think having a few Source conversions would be nice and could possibly sway me. For things like this I tend to try to figure out (or guestimate) how much everything is worth separately and see if it's a reasonable deal or not.

We don't even know what is included in it yet, so its hard to guess a price. We can only go off what stores are telling us..
The Collectors might only include HL1 Source...or not any Source mods, we don't know just yet.

iamaelephant said:
They wont be $40, because 90% of people buying the Source ports will be people who have played the mods before, for free, therefore wont be willing to shell out more than about $25 USD.

Sure, a lot of people won't buy the source ports, but they won't be $25 each (if they sell them separately). The only way I can see them being 25 bucks each would be if valve sold them in a package, where they would average to be $20-25 each. If they sell them separately, expect to pay ~$40, just like they did with CZ.

Does anyone know if TFC: Source will be free, or is it a mod we have to pay for?

I will not pay 150 bucks for any special edition. That would be incredibly greedy to charge 20+ bucks for EACH source upgrade. the new physics gameplay isn't worth that much for games we've already bought or downloaded and played for free. All together then they might be worth that, but i mean come on. Someone has to be misinformed on that report. They can't honestly think they can get away with that price. The difference betwee a 70+ dollar collectors edition and a 150 dollar one = Doom 3 and far cry. Nope, too many other good games to get like those two, call of duty expansion, thief 3 and MOH 2

im willing to pay 145 for it! Nothing can stop me from playing that game!!

Both Red Alert 2: Collector's Edition & the Warcraft III: Collector's Edition was priced around 130 USD when they were released (a tad less maybe). And what did they include? Well practically the game (in a lousy cd package. Not the dvd version), a soundtrack & some manuals & books. Especially the WC3 box. Phat book with art-work in there.

And HL2: CE will include similar things & probably more for the same price almost. And like 5 extra games. 140+ USD for that is quite reasonable EVEN though the extra games are mods from the beginning (and expansion packs duh).

Also, as someone mentioned earlier, this is for COLLECTORS mainly. I like to think of myself as a collector. I don't have a problem with this price as I've said before. Maybe it's because I'm used to that price range when it comes to exclusive games.

Edit: On a second note: I would definitely be a happier guy if they lowered the price though duh :E

I don't think the source was very reliable and I don't think Valve would make the mistake of making the SE $150. That's rediculous.

Paintballer said:
Sure, a lot of people won't buy the source ports, but they won't be $25 each (if they sell them separately). The only way I can see them being 25 bucks each would be if valve sold them in a package, where they would average to be $20-25 each. If they sell them separately, expect to pay ~$40, just like they did with CZ.
They mentioned somewhere 'bargin bin' prices. Which I would take to be $10-20 per game, not $40.

The difference between CZ and the source ports is that a lot of new work went into making CZ. It seems all they are doing for the source ports (HL1 anyway), from the details we have, is that they're taking the game as-is and sticking it into the source engine, so you'll still have all the ugly polygonal levels and textures (I'd assume they'd replace models with HL2 versions since most of them are in HL2 - scientist, gman, slaves, zombies etc).

As they already have functionality that converts mods into source, they really aren't doing much extra work on top of what they've already done, just running the old content through a transformation process they already developed - so no real reason to charge a bundle for it, particularly when they are all old games anyway, whereas CZ had brand new content.

HUH???!?!?!?!
$150!!?!?!?!?!

I don't thinks so. I'm only going to pay $100 at most for the collectors.

the special edition will be 79.99 US , go to EB and check it out. there is NO WAY IN THE WORLD THEY WOULD CHARGE U THAT MUCH FOR A GAME.

Silent_night said:
the special edition will be 79.99 US , go to EB and check it out. there is NO WAY IN THE WORLD THEY WOULD CHARGE U THAT MUCH FOR A GAME.

Haven't you heard of Steel Battalion?

However, they did include that controller thingy....

Most CE & SE versions are in that price range. The ones worth getting at least ;)

Heh "most" & "the ones worth getting" DOES narrow it down doesn't it? ;)

Um...thats why its a collectors edition... You can get your HL2 full version for $50 so stop complaining, but for the people who love nostalgia, $150 isnt that bad and is the only option.

I plan on buying it. I love metal boxes.

Maybe the collectors edition will include Half-Life and the expansions in the Source engine, along with CS source. That would explain the huge price.

I dunno if this has been said before, I'm too lazy to check.

Mattigus said:
Maybe the collectors edition will include Half-Life and the expansions in the Source engine, along with CS source. That would explain the huge price.

I dunno if this has been said before, I'm too lazy to check.

songwriter said:
The Collector Edition will feature the full Half-life 2 game in a special collection metal box whit plastic figures, posters and other goodies such as the sources conversions and more. ;)

ahem.. :)

Lanthanide said:
They mentioned somewhere 'bargin bin' prices. Which I would take to be $10-20 per game, not $40.

The difference between CZ and the source ports is that a lot of new work went into making CZ. It seems all they are doing for the source ports (HL1 anyway), from the details we have, is that they're taking the game as-is and sticking it into the source engine, so you'll still have all the ugly polygonal levels and textures (I'd assume they'd replace models with HL2 versions since most of them are in HL2 - scientist, gman, slaves, zombies etc).

As they already have functionality that converts mods into source, they really aren't doing much extra work on top of what they've already done, just running the old content through a transformation process they already developed - so no real reason to charge a bundle for it, particularly when they are all old games anyway, whereas CZ had brand new content.

Actually there is more involved in porting the old mods to source than you think. If you look at the CS:S screenshots, you can see that they have obviously done a lot of work. If you just stick the old maps into source, they look almost EXACTLY the same as in HL. They have done new models, maps (heavy modifications), and have included physics and everything into the game.

If it came with all the Source conversions then it would be worth the money IMHO.

OMFG in Israel it's 750 NIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:eek:ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

;( :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: ;(

Lethal8472 said:
NO ONE would pay that kind of money for it, except maybe some rabid fanboys that worship pictures of Gabe.

/me blushes.

I'd pay it.

Steam is free. You can, however, pay for a subscription at a monthly charge method of payment and get access to every VALVe product that way.

However, in the case of buying the retail CE, this would make no sense.

good LORD!!! 200$ and dont even pay for a external DVD drive wich costs 179$!!!

If it's too expensive don't buy it. Quite simple :p

Sidenote: What's up with all the upside-down avatars?

Alec_85 said:
If it's too expensive don't buy it. Quite simple :p

Sidenote: What's up with all the upside-down avatars?

Upside-down avatars? Must be a problem on your end ;)

That means there has to be the equivalent to a hundred dollars worth of merchandise (besides HL2) in the collectors edition. For that price, it would likely include all of the source ports (HL, DOD, CS, TFC), and some additional trinkets. But, I still wouldn't pay $150 for that. Most likely, I am going to buy HL2 and then buy HL: Source.

[Edit]: My avatar seems perfectly normal to me. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back