Computer for my bro

This Stop error indicates that requested data was not in memory. The system generates an exception error when using a reference to an invalid system memory address. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop error.
Windows NT computers, and those built on Windows NT technology, may stop responding (hang) with one or more of the following STOP error messages:

STOP: 0x0000000a
STOP: 0x0000001e
STOP: 0x00000050

These errors may be caused by one or more of the following:

- Hardware failure (memory, processor, or motherboard).
- Anti-virus software that is running on your computer.
- Drivers installed by third-party software.

To resolve these behaviors, perform one or more of the following:

- Replace the faulty hardware. You may be able to determine the faulty hardware by running diagnostics provided by the manufacturer. Please contact the hardware manufacturer for more information.
- Disable any anti-virus software that is running on your computer. If the STOP errors no longer occur, contact the anti-virus software manufacturer about a possible upgrade.
- Disable any third-party drivers that may be running. If the STOP errors no longer occur, contact the third-party manufacturer about a possible upgrade.

http://tutorial.downloadatoz.com/windows-blue-screen-of-death-error-stop-0x00000050.html

Also, as Asus said, make sure you install the drivers for your motherboard. There should have been a DVD-ROM that came with your motherboard. Also check Gigabyte's website for updated drivers; but I am not suggesting you flash your BIOS.

Your RAM is DDR3 1600, right? Your board (GA-P55?) says it supports 2200/1333/1066/800. What speed is your RAM running at? Could use CPU-Z.

Oops. Kind of a **** up there; but just set the RAM to 1333 in the BIOS, right?

I bet it is running @ 1333 in bios which is fine. That is what the CPU supports as well.

Also the order of the memory slots goes 2, 1, 4, 3 (left to right in picture).
You want them in 1 and 3 rather than 2 and 4.

PDF manual

I bet it is running @ 1333 in bios which is fine. That is what the CPU supports as well.

Also the order of the memory slots goes 2, 1, 4, 3 (left to right in picture).
You want them in 1 and 3 rather than 2 and 4.

PDF manual

Oh. Good catch Asus, he's got them in the wrong slots. That picture Raz posted has really been helpful in problem solving. Do you think that will solve this problem?

Won't know really unless they get flipped. The manual just says for dual channel operation and single sticks use those slots. I guess 2 and 4 are overflow rather than primary slots for using 4 sticks.

The ram switch, putting them in 1 and 3 is what got the video working in the past. I made reference to that in a post past. Funny thing is I put them in there before, but it didn't fix it, but later it did. I had read the manual saying that it required those slots.

I'll post some more responses tomorrow... i'm exhausted.

In my opinion, it's a hardware issue, but could be a driver for that hardware as well. I suspect your mouse.

Maybe it could be RAM as well. Try a memory check. Also read the reviews of that RAM you got and see if anyone else had a problem with the RAM stability at advertised speeds.

It didn't give you an .EXE name? Maybe that means it was not a driver, but the actual hardware.

Like, for me, when I got the BSOD stop, it gave me the name of the driver. In my case, it was the driver for my USB wireless adapter. I tried a few different things, but the BSOD persisted. So I ended up getting a new wireless adapter and haven't had any problems since.

We swapped out the mouse. My mouse with his mouse. He's still experiencing crashes. We did the windows 7 memory check, which detected nothing. It was quick though, didn't seem very in depth. Maybe there is another we could try.

We're getting several BSOD. the 0x50, and 0x1A.

Your PSU has a single +12v rail rather than multiple so what cable is plugged where doesn't matter. (do you have 2 power in the GPU?)

Are all the drivers updated?
Chipset, GPU etc

TBH I would uninstall software that you put on (like anti-malware apps etc) for tracing these errors.

Both fans blowing the correct direction?

Fans are blowing in the correct direction. All the drivers are updated. Chipset, motherboard sound, audio, lan, etc. Bios isn't updated though, as I wanted to leave that as a last resort.

We've uninstalled the antivirus, used a different antivirus and stuff, still crashes.

http://tutorial.downloadatoz.com/windows-blue-screen-of-death-error-stop-0x00000050.html

Also, as Asus said, make sure you install the drivers for your motherboard. There should have been a DVD-ROM that came with your motherboard. Also check Gigabyte's website for updated drivers; but I am not suggesting you flash your BIOS.

Yep, got all that stuff updated. We're also experiencing 0x1A BSOD.

Your RAM is DDR3 1600, right? Your board (GA-P55?) says it supports 2200/1333/1066/800. What speed is your RAM running at? Could use CPU-Z.

I wish I had known when I changed out motherboards that the new one didn't support DDR3 1600. I didn't even think to check that as I was changing the motherboard. It is running at 1333 though in bios.

Disable auto restart http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/automatic-restart-windows-7.htm

Then when the you crash again you'll be able to see what error you actually get.
Once you got the error code, google it to see what's causing it.

Yep, we've had auto restart disabled for a while now to catch the BSOD codes.

I'm all out of ideas and I'm serious depressed about this. I don't know how to diagnose the issue. My brother usually gets computers that have problems like this... he seems to have lots of bad luck.

What else should I try? Putting my memory into his motherboard and vice versa?

First thing I'd do is carefully check the settings in the BIOS. You may have some RAM information entered incorrectly. In my BIOS there were dozens of RAM settings, but the timings were labeled on the package my RAM came in. Then I signed up to the GSKILL forums and asked if I had set it correctly and asked some questions about the other settings.

You want to swap out the sticks? Is your memory compatible?

I'm not sure what the best memory test software is, but it shouldn't be hard to find one of the better ones with Google or Bing.

But that's what I'd do is run a thorough test on the RAM.

I don't have a lot of other ideas except to suspect any software and drivers you've installed.

EDIT: You said you put the RAM in the wrong slots because it wouldn't boot otherwise. But maybe it wasn't booting because of that power switch wire incorrectly connected. So put the RAM back in the right slots.

First thing I'd do is carefully check the settings in the BIOS. You may have some RAM information entered incorrectly. In my BIOS there were dozens of RAM settings, but the timings were labeled on the package my RAM came in. Then I signed up to the GSKILL forums and asked if I had set it correctly and asked some questions about the other settings.

You want to swap out the sticks? Is your memory compatible?

I'm not sure what the best memory test software is, but it shouldn't be hard to find one of the better ones with Google or Bing.

But that's what I'd do is run a thorough test on the RAM.

I don't have a lot of other ideas except to suspect any software and drivers you've installed.

EDIT: You said you put the RAM in the wrong slots because it wouldn't boot otherwise. But maybe it wasn't booting because of that power switch wire incorrectly connected. So put the RAM back in the right slots.

I'll have to check if my memory is compatible. I'll do that later before I put it in. I only bought it a year ago.

I have the memory in the proper slots right now according to the motherboard manual(and different than what you see in that picture) for a single pair of dual channel memory.

I will go back in again in bios and check out all the settings. I don't remember seeing a lot else other than the timings.

I did read in a forum that an intel board someone had downclocked his 1600 memory to 1066 completely skipping 1333. Maybe it did this for stablity?
What if you tried clocking yours at 1066.

I did read in a forum that an intel board someone had downclocked his 1600 memory to 1066 completely skipping 1333. Maybe it did this for stablity?
What if you tried clocking yours at 1066.

It's worth a shot I guess. Kind of sucks for my bro though, buying that memory and not even being able to use it at those speeds. What a screwup I made.

The bios updates for the motherboard say this...

qxkuon.jpg

Enhance memory compatibility... hrm.

My bro's memory also isn't on the supported list for the mobo.

http://www.gigabyte.us/FileList/MemorySupport/mb_memory_ga-p55-usb3.pdf

Hm, well lower the Mhz. and see if it works. Then you'll know if the RAM is in fact the problem.

You should be able to explain it to GSKILL or newegg and get a different set. You have only 30 days, I think.

GSKILL has an excellent policy and may make an exception for you and swap the RAM for a compatible type.

If setting the ram @ 1066 doesn't work you could try a single stick installed.
If the issues still remain you could try a bios update if you feel comfortable doing that (potential to harm the PC if you do it wrong).
I would swap out the parts through newegg or Gskill last or at least after you try running 1066 or a single stick.

Hey guys. I can't figure out how to set the frequency. But I will.

Gskill manufacturer responses on newegg hinted that motherboads for DDR 3 have a maximum default setting of 1333, and they can be set to 1600 manually. One guy with the board I have said his defaulted at 1333, same memory as me, but he had no trouble manually setting it to 1600.

If I figure this out, and figure out what all my settings are supposed to be, maybe I can get this to work.

EDIT: Figured it out. Had to use the Xtreme Memory Profile thing... it's at 1600 now. Now I just need to figure out all the proper advanced timings. Where would I find such a thing? I don't see it on their website.

Leaving it on the default advanced settings, while making sure the standard settings are 9-9-9-24. If it doesn't crash anymore, I won't bother trying to find the advanced setting numbers, but if it does, I will look for those.

<crosses fingers>

No crashes yet. I still have my fingers crossed.

BSOD.

God dammit.

I'm thinking my best bet is to send the memory back, get a replacement set.

Last chance effort... my memory in his computer, his memory in my computer. If I crash, I think his memory is the problem since my computer hasn't gotten a single BSOD. If his computer doesn't crash after a few days with my memory, then it should be a solid indicator.

Nothing more you guys can do for me. :( Curse this computer. In the past when I had to figure out why a computer was malfunctioning it was easy. Now the parts are working... but sometimes failing, so it makes it hard.

Did you try disabling auto restart yet?

You'll be able to see what BSOD error code you get, instead of letting the system to immediately restart. That makes things much easier and you'll be able to pin point cause of it. Us second guessing what it is that's causing BSOD won't do you any good at all.

Did you try disabling auto restart yet?

You'll be able to see what BSOD error code you get, instead of letting the system to immediately restart. That makes things much easier and you'll be able to pin point cause of it. Us second guessing what it is that's causing BSOD won't do you any good at all.

Yes TwwIX, I've disabled it and I mentioned what error codes I was getting earlier in the thread. They are 0x50 and 0x1A errors, which both seem to indicate memory errors.

I hate when builds don't go smoothly from the start...
GL

I hate when builds don't go smoothly from the start...
GL

Thanks Asus.

Page Fault in Nonpaged Area. 0x50.

This is the first BSOD my computer has had, ever. I believe his memory is faulty. Going to get an RMA on it.

EDIT; Windows has encountered a critical problem and must restart in one minute... blah blah blah.

It's the memory alright.

EDIT: **** **** ****. We can't RMA it... my brother threw out the packaging for it. <sigh> I'm trying to get in contact with newegg right now to see if we can't let a 10 cent piece of plastic get in the way of this RMA. I mean ****, we've done thousands and thousands of dollars worth of business with them.

EDIT: Thank god... they managed to make an exception for us. Good thing we didn't have to RMA anything else... my bro threw away all the packaging. He misunderstood me... I originally told him to KEEP EVERYTHING, and keep it in a big box, like the one I have in my room on the shelf with my computer purchase packaging and stuff. But once the computer was up, he asked if I could throw these away now, and showed me some plastic bags that really would be easy to replace if we needed to, and I said yes. I didn't realize he was asking me to throw everything away.

Ah man close one. That could have been some money down the drain. Glad you will be able to RMA. Surprised really. Wonder if newegg will be able to get credit from the RAM company or they are just taking a hit while offering good service.

g. skill - I heard they made an exception and replaced a RAM stick that a dude cut off part of the heatsink (so it would fit with his CPU cooler)

That's pretty ****ing lenient. They like to oil the squeaky wheels, so if you mention it, they like to show off. You know? Because people see what you say and they see the response and it's major credit for them...

Same with newegg to a point.

Glad you figured out the fault and shit can happen. I don't know if you got a bad stick or if it's just incompatible, but that's why I just got the recommended speed of 1333 for mine. Could be faster, I guess. It's the fastest component of my system anyway though.

g. skills seems to have customer service and appreciation to the max. At least from what I have seen from review on newegg. Them taking your RMA is another good reason I will buy them with my next build.

It was actually Newegg that was taking my RMA. I'm sure G.Skill would have too... I was going to try them next if Newegg didn't accept it.

Got a new set of Ripjaws from newegg... they're in the computer, we'll see how they do.

Have my fingers crossed.

How much did shipping the return and everything cost you? And how many days did it take?

How much did shipping the return and everything cost you? And how many days did it take?

They received the RMA really fast after we sent it... like just a matter or two days or so.

Everything cost us $0.00, I guess because they were doing a one time exception for us because I plead our case.

From the day the RMA was received, to the day we received the new set of memory, was like 4.5 days.

EDIT: No crashes thus far.

Well no crashes since he got it.

Looks like everything is going to be okay.

I know I said it several times in this thread before, but thank you everybody. You guys are awesome, and you helped pick out pieces for an awesome computer for my brother.

Thanks!

Well no crashes since he got it.

Looks like everything is going to be okay.

I know I said it several times in this thread before, but thank you everybody. You guys are awesome, and you helped pick out pieces for an awesome computer for my brother.

Thanks!
You're welcome. Glad everything is working.

Back