Day of Defeat: Source Approaching Beta

Chris D

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll never get tired of the times when I open up my e-mail client and see a message delivered to my "Valve" folder, containing the subject "For immediate release". Here's what Doug Lombardi has to say:
Day of Defeat: Source, Valve's World War II-themed multiplayer action game, is approaching beta and will be available early this spring via Steam. A team-based multiplayer game that cast players in the Axis vs. Allies battles of Western Europe circa 1944, Day of Defeat: Source leverages the power of the Source engine to introduce integrated physics simulation technology, all new audio, updated maps, enhanced effects and more. More information about Day of Defeat: Source will be released in the coming weeks. For more information on Steam, please visit www.steampowered.com
Included with the press release are two new pics of Day of Defeat: Source which you can view below:[br]

wait... i thought DOD:S was gonna be a total conversion, new models and all... that looks like original DOD :x

Here we go... cue the "it's not good enough" rubbish. Be happy you in-grates!!

Is it just me, or do I see two screens from Half-Life 1 DOD?

I also see the hl1 engine! n000 :p

Look at the weapons!
Look at the textures!
Look at the models!
Look at the hands! THE HANDS! BLOODY HELL!!!

...The maps dont look too bad though :)

I too was expecting a graphical overhaul. Well, maybe I'll buy it anyway. Ragdolls and DoD grenades = :sniper: And the "all new audio" part sounds good.

This is great news and I am usualy quite optimistic but Im gonna have to agree those screens look good but those character models :| they look like they are directly from regular DoD, hopefully its just the way they were takin.

Chris_D said:
I'll never get tired of the times when I open up my e-mail client and see a message delivered to my "Valve" folder, containing the subject "For immediate release". Here's what Doug Lombardi has to say:Included with the press release are two new pics of Day of Defeat: Source which you can view below:[br]

looks purdy. dunno if i'll get it yet or not though.

The thing I saw first were the hands... ARGGG! The second thing: This looks like the HL1 engine. I don't know if I want to dish out money just for ragdolls.

Those hands look totally 13333333333333337!!!!11111

I will NEVER ever buy that game.

Considering that it's not yet at beta, maybe the new character models aren't finished yet?

Forget the hands what's up with the length of their arms?

Skins leave a lot to be desired with while the maps are the usual source inspired fair.

Moddelers from the community can overhaul them.

Hopefully we will get some information in the weekly steam update.

^Ben said:
Moddelers from the community can overhaul them.

Hopefully we will get some information in the weekly steam update.

Yeah. Like they do in CS:S? "Hey... look at that new skin lolz... its a new AK!" "Neg, its just an AK painted silver" "LOLOLOLOLOLLZ:("

:dozey:

RabidJester said:
Considering that it's not yet at beta, maybe the new character models aren't finished yet?

Yeah just like the rest of CSS character models!!! :flame:

Does it really really matter?

Our lives don't depend on it.

Shens said:
Does it really really matter?

Our lives don't depend on it.

Well excuse me Mr.3000... posts... man...errr... *looks around* *runs away*

AHHHHHHHHH! THE HANDS!

does it require a special version to play it?

Omg wtf I just noticed their hands go through their weapons! What is this wizardry

Doesnt look as good as I'd hoped. Oh well, its not like I'm not going to play it.

considering the incredible delay they placed on its development, the quality of the models are garbage. i'm gonna talk to my contact at valve and ask her what the DOD:S plans are.

i'm still hoping for HL:S deathmatch!!!! :)

Well perhaps they aren't as polished in the area as the CS:S team were, and anyway people the gameplay is what matters as many people like the first game and it has (to be fair) very old graphics now compared to games it competes with.

Unfortunately for me I hate the gameplay :p

This DoD:S can be TOTALLY worth it, if it had vehicles.

thehunter1320 said:
wait... i thought DOD:S was gonna be a total conversion, new models and all... that looks like original DOD :x
This sucks, you are right, it just looks like the damn old thing.. :sniper:

vegeta897 said:
This DoD:S can be TOTALLY worth it, if it had vehicles.
dod wouldnt be the same if it had vehicles: it would suck. If you want vehicles buy battlefield 1942.

Not impressed at ALL its the same thing. With the added ":Source" after it.

Looks kinda shitty IMO. Who gets to play the beta, anyway? Gold and Silver HL2 package owners only, I presume?

Seeing as it's not EVEN IN BETA, I'm going to let the archaeic models slide, the maps look nice enough, and we can hope the models will be touched up some before the "spring release" (I assume they mean Spring Pacific Standard Time, which, for the rest of us means anytime between Fall and Never.). It'll be nice to get back to DoD gameplay, and I think all of us can use some time away from CS and DM :p .

diluted said:
Looks kinda shitty IMO. Who gets to play the beta, anyway? Gold and Silver HL2 package owners only, I presume?

You get what you paid for.

jerin222 said:
Not impressed at ALL its the same thing. With the added ":Source" after it.

That's what they said it would be.

I dont care how you spin this, its an ugly disapointment.

Shens said:
That's what they said it would be.

They said it would be the exact same thing as DoD only with Source in its name? Where?

I'm kinda disappointed by this, but its just the graphics, not important.

azz0r said:
I dont care how you spin this, its an ugly disapointment.

True dat!....however there is still some time so here's to hoping, I mean comon if they can do it with css they can do it with DoDs!

cereal said:
They said it would be the exact same thing as DoD only with Source in its name? Where?

I'm kinda disappointed by this, but its just the graphics, not important.

In the DoD:S question thread in the DoD forums. It's gone now for some reason.

Back