Day of Defeat: Source Approaching Beta

I dont know what to say really.

I know its gotta go through beta, I know they'll add better models, but really why release any shots at all if they're gonna look like DOD on the HL engine? Its not like anyone is going to go "WOW HOLY **** LOOK AT THOSE GFX!"

Looks alot like the HL engine. The hands are the same and the models are pretty much the same too. The maps also look the same. I dont know if I should buy this or not. Wasnt what I was really hopeing for. Hopefully after the beta they will improve the models a bit more, and have more maps. I'll buy it when those models change a bit more.

It looks like they haven't fine-tuned the lighting yet...not very HL2-ish.

It appears to be the same models as DoD had (player and weapon), but the levels don't look too bad. I'll definitely be playing it regardless because DoD is my favourite HL mod! I wonder how beta selection will go... Maybe Valve will look at this post to see who is bashing it and who isn't :p

Didn't they say it would be slightly updated to start and then gradually add in the new content to bring it up to normal Source standards? I mean considering the recent rumors now of a HL2 Expansion Pack, a lot of the team is probably stretched thin again (like what happened w/ CSS and HL2)

I'm glad I bought Source though :) I mean at first, it may not look up to the quality of CS, but eventually it will be there... whether by user created models or not, it will get there.....

Dont forget that the early pics from HL2, if you looked careful had a LOT of unfinished area's, some screenshots and even I think the HDR vid had a few brushes that still had dev textures on. So don't judge too harshly.

Not to mention it IS an online game, so it was never gonna be super high detail, its possible they've been working on much larger maps, improved netcode and cutting out things you wouldn't need, like HL2 level physics, for more players and larger battles, since I imagine while your in the thick of it, your not gonna care if that bottle a few feet away doesn't move realistically by the vibration of the ground from a nearby explosion :p

thehunter1320 said:
wait... i thought DOD:S was gonna be a total conversion, new models and all... that looks like original DOD :x
same with me. i mean it looks a little bit better but not amazing.
I'll still be playing it though

all i can say is there's some extremely dense people on this site. i'd agree they look just like dod 1.3, that is if i hadn't clicked the thumbnails and seen the full size screenshots. the player and weapons models are the same, that is it. look at the donner screenshot, with the much higher res, bump mapped textures, the detailed window models, the rubble etc. notice the displacement terrain in the anzio screenshot? or the fact that the map goes off into the distance further than the hl1 hammer grid could ever reach?
these look as good as hl2 or css, the only thing that isn't updated is the player models, and do you really think they'd leave those in? they'll obviously be improved later, if not already. the screenshots look fine, we've all been playing with these player models for the last 1.5 years, and worse before then (well, in terms of poly count at least). dod is about the gameplay, graphics come second. either way, the graphics look fine from these, the first official screenshots released from valve, along with the first official word from valve since 'dod:s added to coming soon list'.

Argyll said:

:rolleyes: You cant even claim its progression at all considering todays graphical standards, what about CS eh?

http://www.counter-strike.net/images/maps/dust1_b.jpg
to
http://www.polycat.net/gallery/albums/cssource/cssource_5.jpg

:rolleyes: The CS team managed it.

Now, that issue aside, reading the FAQ theyre simply porting over 1.3 atm which is fine, so better models and art are on the way.

OMG EVERYONE STFU

Valve said a while ago that DOD:S would be exactly the same as the old DOD. They said all the source version will have, new sounds, better ragdoll physics, physics in general, some new maps, and maybe some graphical improvments. They said it will remain 95% the same as the old one. So that mean no new models, no new skins. They did say though, that during the future they will add new models, and graphical improvements, to bring it up to date. So stop complaining on how crappy it looks. At least there trying to restore an old game.

Hey the first pic looked semi-good until you click it and see their chins are still all pointy and the models in general look like garbage.

azz0r said:
:rolleyes: The CS team managed it.

the 'cs team' was largely made up of dod team members, drawn away from making dod:s to help get that released on time. the same dod team who made these maps aswell, and the fact that they had to work on cs:s is the reason we're still waiting for dod:s now and the game still isn't as far ahead as some people think it should be.

People, it does NOT look like DoD 1.3, only the player models and weapons are clearly still from 1.3!

Which isn't too bad and I'm sure it will get updated, either before release or after. But it's a pretty big contrast with the rest of the environment. Which is also the reason HLS didn't use HL2 models; it would be a huge contrast between new and old and would look out of place. So while the improvement over DoD is really big, the player models are too out of contrast imo.

Wow, the hands look horrible. But it looks promising. I gues.

Im just interested to see how the old dod models will look with raggdoll physics incorperated. :rolling:

Considering what DoD originally did to the Half-Life engine these pictures are a huge dissapointment. The game looks EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE ORIGINAL (no exaggeration). HL2 engine can do much better... Sigh..

THUGENSTEIN said:
Considering what DoD originally did to the Half-Life engine these pictures are a huge dissapointment. The game looks EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE ORIGINAL (no exaggeration). HL2 engine can do much better... Sigh..
Didn't this happen with CS:S though? people said they were original models. But they look newer to me. Same could apply with these when its finished (and it isn't finished yet)

Probably the most people who are complaining are those who have not played DoD. And those who have played DoD, probably downloaded it since they bought Counter-Strike retail.

I've been playing DoD since 1.3b... where tanks used to be in the main square in Caen and you could fire their machine guns! The mod has evolved and is continuing to evolve. When they say that 95% or whatever will be the old DoD, I would assume that would be gameplay wise, since the levels obviously have to be redone for Source... and they certainly aren't 5%.

I would expect Valve to have updated models in the final version, however, I personally wouldn't be disappointed since I'm not playing it for updated models... I'm playing it for the gameplay.

I keep hearing every one complain about the models. This isn't going to be counter-strike with dinky little maps and 12 players/team. It's a war, not urban combat. They're going to handle many more players, and much larger maps. Close up, the models don't look that great, but from futher away in-game, i'm sure it'll be fine. The creators know people will be bitching "my geforce 4 runs too slow"

And if you don't like the models, then do what people have been doing for years...make your own.

what is taking them so long

the pics look the same as the first dod

look how incredibly ugly the hands look on the guns

good job valve :dozey:

well actually its kinda cool for me because it wont run as shitty as hl2 did on my comp

Atomi said:
Omg wtf I just noticed their hands go through their weapons! What is this wizardry

h4x! it gives them infinite ammo!

I'm happy with dod with physics, it was never planned to be a total overhaul. Besides Valve is constantly updating it's games so I wont worry about it visually just yet.

Considering that it's been known that DoD:S would be a direct port from 1.3, this looks really good. And they will be updating it quite a bit as time goes on, im sure. ;)

Can't wait.

Argyll said:
I've been playing DoD since 1.3b...

Son I've been playing DoD since BETA 1! The exact first day it came out! I even remember, it was a friday LOL.

THUGENSTEIN said:
Son I've been playing DoD since BETA 1! The exact first day it came out! I even remember, it was a friday LOL.
I would have if I wasn't on 56k and Software Mode :( I remember posting on their Forums though pre-release... saw the mod mentioned in PC Gamer a loooong time ago.

Whether or not people realized before hand that it was supposed to be a direct port from 1.3 or not, you still have to admit it looks pretty crappy. I didnt examine the pictures too closely but the only major thing I could see is new muzzle flash effects.

Oh and for those who are saying they will update models: Just like they added the rest of the CS models?

Back