Desperate Measures

Desperate Measures

Chapter IX

Kat pressed her eye firmly against the chink in the wall. The windowpane rattled alarmingly above her head. She could make out the three-legged shadow of a looming creature moving up the street. The rest of the team huddled against the wall, waiting for the passing of the behemoth. She resisted the temptation to stand and look out the window, though she found that by sitting back on her heels and looking up she had a view of the comparatively small body as it swayed past. She quickly jammed her face back into the small opening to watch the movement pattern of the three legs.

Without thinking, she suddenly heard herself say, “What is that thing?” There was a prolonged silence and she could feel four sets of eyes on her back. A warm flush crept up into her cheeks.

Nolan finally answered as though speaking to an exceptionally slow child, “That…was a s-t-r-i-d-e-r.” The glow of embarrassment faded a bit as she looked over her shoulder and saw his mischievous grin. Elena and Mikhail stared, but didn’t seem surprised at her strange question. Barney, she imagined, had told the others about her odd fascinations.

“I know that,” she replied, resisting the urge to grin back. Nolan, Barney, Amina; they all could have been good friends, but it was safer keeping everyone at arms length. “What is it though? Is it mechanical or biological?”

“It’s synth technology,” answered Barney. “They’ve created weapons from other civilizations using mechanics and genetic engineering, so I guess it’s both. We don’t really understand it completely and I don’t have time to explain what we do know. We need to get a look at the perimeter before another patrol comes by.” The small team of rebels stood and returned to the rear of the deteriorating apartment building.

The small back lobby was filled with boxes and old furniture, as though the former inhabitants had expected to move their belongings to new homes. Kat tried not to see the details of the remains as she walked past to the alley; lovingly packed boxes of books and knickknacks, skeletal houseplants, shrouded paintings, all symbols of lives once lived in a safe cocoon of normalcy. She felt an odd relief getting away from the once everyday items.

Coming out of the alley, the decaying boulevard stretched out ahead of them as they carefully picked their way through the lengthening shadows. Broken windowpanes glittered sharply in the glow of the evening sun. The only sign of life in the abandoned city outskirts was a pitifully thin cat, skulking furtively towards them. It dropped into a crouch as it became aware of the intruders, frozen in shock. In the blink of an eye, it turned tail and disappeared into a gaping doorway.

Barney, leading the group, came to a halt. He pulled a small pair of binoculars out of a pocket and examined the street ahead as the team huddled in the shadows. They were in sight of the outer perimeter of the city. Black, segmented walls loomed over the moldering buildings. Nolan crept up from behind and passed Kat. “What’s going on?” he hissed to Barney. “You see something?”

Barney continued to study the perimeter. “I don’t…know…” He fell silent for a moment then lowered the binoculars and tucked them back into his vest. He turned to the back to the team.

“There’s some activity down there. More than there should be. Wait here. I’ll be right back.” He turned and quickly moved down the street.

“Come on. Let’s get out of sight,” said Elena. Kat followed the three others back into the dark alleyway. They stood against the walls in silence. Nolan was surprisingly still; his focus on the mission calming his usual fidgety manner. He had earlier admitted to Kat that this would be his first time out of the city since the arrival of the Combine forces and he seemed to be a bit apprehensive.

Elena crouched against the wall, pulling a hand-drawn map from her pocket. She studied it intently, mumbling softly to herself. She would have been a striking beauty but for the large scar that marred her right cheek and jaw, pulling her mouth into a perpetual smirk. Elena, though, seemed to wear it as a badge of honor. Mikhail simply stood impassively, staring at the bricks in the wall, waiting.

Footsteps approached the alley and Barney jogged around the corner, looking concerned. “Something’s going on. It looks like they’re doing some sort of training exercise down there. I thought you checked on this area Nolan.”

“I did!” Nolan protested indignantly. “There wasn’t anything on the schedule…”

“Well, something’s going on now. We’re going to have to take an alternate route. I think we can…” He trailed off, listening. There was a rhythmic pounding sound in the distance.

Mikhail grabbed his pack. “Strider’s back,” he announced flatly. “Let’s go.”

Everyone snapped into motion, gathering packs and gear. “Which way, Barney?” Elena asked. “We can’t go north. We would have to cross the highway.”

The team jogged down the dark alley. “I know, but if they’ve increased the patrols around the perimeter the aqueduct is probably the only option.”

“Not much of one,” Elena muttered. They continued on, weaving through the maze of residential alleyways and side streets.

Further north, the residential areas gave way to a small commercial district and then quickly turned into a series of light industrial and office parks bordering the highway. At several points they heard the moans of nearby zombies, attracted by their passage. Generally such wretches were put out of their misery, both out of pity and for safety, but the rebels simply slipped past, unwilling to risk the sound of gunfire.

As they walked down a narrow corridor between two warehouses, an unearthly wail broke the deepening twilight. “Oh no,” Nolan moaned. “Runners.”

Kat had heard people speak of runners and Barney had filled her in on what to expect if they encountered any in the city. A new type of zombie created by Combine engineered headcrabs, they were fast, agile and very dangerous. The team scattered to the sides of the shelterless corridor. A dark, crouched figure sped past the far end of the alleyway.

“They’re on both sides,” Elena announced. “Watch out behind.”

Kat flicked the safety off her MP-7 and dropped to one knee. Rabbits. Just like hunting rabbits. Rabbits just don’t run at you, that’s all. There was the sound of something running and snarling behind her and someone fired a short burst. Instinct screamed at her to turn around, but she kept her eyes fixed on the other end, trusting her companions to protect her back. Another burst of gunfire was followed by the sound of a body hitting the pavement.

Kat wrenched her attention back to the front as two more creatures rounded the corner and charged towards them. She was horrified to see they looked like flayed humans running on all fours. Mikhail, on the opposite side, simply said, “Take the left.”

Steadying herself against the wall, she took aim and fired at the beast running up her side of the corridor. Her shot caught it in the shoulder and it staggered into the wall. In a small corner of her consciousness, she was aware of gunfire and the sharp, guttural voices of the runners all around. The second burst hit the creature square in the head. A headcrab fell off with a thin cry and the zombie collapsed limply to the ground.

“Look out!” someone shouted, just as Kat became aware of a rattling above her head. Another runner dropped from the rooftop directly in front of her. She leaped up and backpedaled wildly, raising her weapon. It swiped at her as she desperately squeezed the trigger. Bullets tore through the sinewy arm and gaping chest, slowing the creature only slightly. Time slowed to a syrupy crawl as the backward momentum of her upper body outreached the speed of her feet. She knew was going to fall.

Still holding down the trigger, she tried vainly to train her shots on the head as she inexorably pitched backwards. Every detail of the runners razor-sharp claws were exquisitely seared into her awareness as her hip slammed into the pavement. As it launched itself for the kill, a blast of gunfire ripped through it’s head. Kat collapsed completely onto her back as the lifeless body fell across her legs.

She lay there on her back for a moment as her heart lurched around in her chest, her only coherent thought being that it was now dark enough to see the stars. Someone was running towards her, shouting something and a weight was being pulled off her legs. A wave of adrenaline abruptly hit and she rolled over and up onto her hands and knees, certain that she was going to vomit. She crouched there for a moment, shaking and gulping for air.

Barney was suddenly in front of her face, hand on her shoulder, “Kat! Are you okay? Did it hit you?” She stared at him blankly for a second and sat back against the wall.

“No…I don’t think so,” she replied, looking stupidly down at her abdomen. She laughed weakly when she saw her stomach in one piece. “I guess I would know if it hit me, huh?”

“Yeah, they pack quite a punch. Do you need a second to catch your breath? We just alerted any patrols in the area, so we can’t stay long.”

“I’m alright.” She tried to stand, but only succeeded in stumbling sideways like a newborn fawn. Barney helped her up and she leaned back against the wall, still shaking slightly. “Okay, maybe just one second.”

“Here, give me your gun.” She handed it over and he inspected and reloaded it as the rest of the group came over to check on her. As Elena helped her readjust her pack, she noted that there were six ragged bodies scattered along the corridor.

Elena noticed her observations and patted her shoulder, “That was a lucky fall. You got your head out of the way just in time.” Kat just nodded silently, swallowing with a dry click. Lucky. I’m not sure I can handle any more luck like that. She collected her weapon from Barney and followed the group down the dark corridor.

Sliding down the north side of the highway embankment, the team of rebels entered an open field. Ahead lay the aqueduct that once supplied the city with water from the foothills. At this time of year it was a nearly dry stream, flowing sluggishly through steep concrete banks. To the west, the man-made riverbed emerged from beneath several roadways and building complexes at the edge of the city.

“It’s a little over a mile through that tunnel,” Elena said as she looked over her map with a small penlight. “Do you think it will be blocked off?”

“No,” Barney replied. “We keep an eye on several of these routes and this isn’t one they worry about too much.”

The low-ceilinged tunnel stretched into the darkness. Narrow service paths ran along each side, leaving only enough room for a single person to pass. An acrid, eye-watering odor rolled out of the opening of the tunnel as the group approached. “Here, we’ll need these,” Barney said as he selected several short branches from a nearby pile of debris.

As they progressed deeper into the shelter of the tunnel, everyone pulled out flashlights to illuminate the narrow pathway. Kat used hers to look around the concrete walls as she walked. In the center of the tunnel, long sinewy ropes hung from the ceiling. She trained the light up the rope to the large fleshy objects from which the ropes were hanging. “Are those…?”

“Yeah,” Nolan answered from behind her. “Barnacles. That’s what the sticks are for. They’ll try to eat anything. Haven’t you seen them before?”

“I’ve seen them, just never so large. They must eat well in here.”

“Hmm, lots of rats, I guess. There’s one over the path ahead. Get ready.”

Up ahead, a long dark tongue hung over the pathway, twitching slightly. Mikhail tossed a stick at it and it reacted instantaneously, pulling the newfound object towards the snapping jaws. Everyone rushed underneath as the barnacle tested the stick for edibility. There was a decisive crunch, followed by a clatter as the stick was found wanting and discarded.

“Gah! Those things give me the creeps,” Elena said with a shudder as they continued on.

Other than the occasional barnacle that required dodging, the aqueduct continued on, straight and uninteresting. Further in, Kat noticed small side-passages on the opposite side, below the level of the service paths. Each one they passed seemed to bring a wash of fresh air, though it never was enough to dispel the sharp, sour odor wafting down the tunnel.

As the odor grew stronger, Kat felt a tickle of memory in the back of her mind. She had come across this smell before. She scowled in concentration, but was unable to make a connection. As though summoned by her thoughts, a snuffling, grunting sound echoed softly down the aqueduct.

Mikhail immediately stopped and flicked off his flashlight. “Bullsquid,” he announced quietly. Everybody came to a stumbling halt in the dark. For a moment there was no sound but the hushed breathing of five humans. Soon more grunting calls came down the tunnel.

“There’s more than one,” Barney said softly.

“I thought they were solitary though,” Kat responded. “Those don’t sound very…big. I’ve seen a couple and they had much deeper calls.”

No one answered.

“Well, they might be juveniles,” she continued. “And if they’re aggressive as everyone says, we might be able to kill one and slip by while the others are distracted by it.”

“They might just be attracted to our gunfire, though. I’ve never seen one back down,” said Nolan.

“Maybe, but if there’s a fresh kill right in front of them, they would be just as likely to go after it.”

“It’s worth a try,” Barney said, rifling through his pack. “Otherwise, we have to go back and find a new route and I’m sick of backtracking. Okay, Kat, you’re our expert. We usually just avoid bullsquid when we can. Do you have any ideas for a quick kill?”

She thought of what little she knew of them for a moment. “I don’t know. I don’t really know their anatomy. The best bet would probably be the eye. The brain shouldn’t be too far from it.”

“Sounds good. Here, pass these up to Mik.” There was the sound of objects being passed and then Nolan was pressing night vision equipment into her hands. She passed it forward and soon there was only the sound of quiet footsteps leading away from them.

Desperate Measures

Chapter IX
(cont.)

There was silence for what seemed like a long time, broken only by the hoarse barks and whuffles of the bullsquids. A sudden muzzle flash from a silenced weapon lit the aqueduct. Kat had a brief glimpse of a group of dog-sized creatures near one of the side-passages. There was a loud squealing and the sounds of frantic scuffling.

“Quick! Let’s go!” whispered Barney.

Kat kept her hand on the wall as she ran through the dark, assailed by an odd vertigo that insisted that she was about to step into an abyss at any moment. As they ran quietly past the bullsquid nest, there were the wet sounds of slobbering and tearing and animals jostling for position.

A bit further down the path, Mikhail stopped them. “Slow down,” he grunted in his slow voice. He led them on until it was safe for the flashlights to be used again, tucking the night-vision equipment away in his pack.

The rest of the passage through the tunnel went without incident. As they approached the mouth of the aqueduct, the nearly full moon gave the landscape a frosty, peaceful mask. They exited quite some distance from the dark city walls and surveyed the countryside carefully before continuing on.

A crisp autumn breeze played around Kat’s ears and she shivered at the thought of the coming winter. There would be a frost soon. She imagined having the Resistance base as a warm haven through the winter. It was a risk though; the last thing she could afford to do was get comfortable.

Finally! Sorry about the delay.

As always, let me know your thoughts and opinions (I know you people are out there! I see that view count go up! ;) ). Let's see, what would tempt you guys? Give me a real critique and I'll bake ya some cookies, how's that sound? My regular responders can expect a fresh batch in the mail soon! :E

Brilliant. Keep 'em comin', I love the reading material I get off this forum.

Awsome, love the Barnacle / Bullsquid encounter, sounded real...
Tell me how you do it. (Between authors... come on)

Critique, let's see...
I seriously can't think of anything, there nothing to critisize. It's still the very high quality I've come to expect of you (lol, sounds bossy)
And just to give this post some meaning :p, what's a fawn?

A fawn is a baby deer. They can walk very shortly after birth, but are comically unstable until then. Was going to use foal originally (baby horse), but I thought more people would be familar with fawns. *sends cookies anyway*

Evilsloth - I honestly have no idea. I read a lot, of course. I just write down the "movies" I make up in my head. I never thought I would be any good at this since I have no real training (Good old zoology degree, not english). I'm afraid I'm terribly unorthodox, but it seems to be coming along alright. I'm seriously thinking of working on an original story idea for a book after I finish this. You guys have really boosted my confidence. :thumbs:

We should have an authors discussion sometime. I always like to hear how other people write and come up with ideas.

I really would consider approaching a publisher with your own independant-setting creation(s) considering what you can do with someone else's universe ;)

It's the character interaction that really grabs my interest. Difficult to put it into words, but their believable responses to unbelievable circumstances humanise a tale that could have been impenetrable in a lesser author's hands, but the actual result is superbly paced and thoroughly absorbing on all levels. It's nice to see a suitably dark and gritty fanfic for a change. *ahem*

...woo. Felt more like a critic than a wannabe-writer for a moment there...

Ill second the characters and their interactions. The main characters feel like people, not just a name. Love the background info on the people and the flashbacks. Storyline is progressing good aswell.
Keep It up :cheese: Have a virtual pint.

Thanks so much for the comments and compliments you guys. I feel like I'm making some progress. I wanted to write something focusing more on the character and some of the internal struggles she has to deal with.

Edcrab - I need to write down the begining of the story I have in my head. Once I get it started though, I do plan on trying to find an agent. Fan fiction is just so much easier to write since the world is already there for you. I think this has been good practice for me.

It's the character interaction that really grabs my interest. Difficult to put it into words, but their believable responses to unbelievable circumstances humanise a tale that could have been impenetrable in a lesser author's hands, but the actual result is superbly paced and thoroughly absorbing on all levels.
I take that as a HUGE compliment. I can't tell you how happy I am that you guys find my characters believable. I think that might be half the battle in writing a good story.

Again, Thank You!

Desperate Measures

Chapter X

“So, it doesn’t bother you to prepare meat?”

“This creature has already lost its life essence,” Sam responded in his gravelly voice as he used his three hands to effortlessly skinned the rabbits Kat had brought to him. “To take the life of an innocent is to be washed in that ones pain and all are affected. We do not kill without due cause. This is but a shell now and will provide much needed sustenance.”

“Oh! Speaking of sustenance, that reminds me. I found a big patch of these for you.” She slid a bulging bag towards the hunched creature and smiled at his reaction.

“Ahhh! Most wonderful!” His large red eye blinked rapidly and he clacked his jaws together in delight as he spilled the bag of mushrooms onto the battered table. Humming happily, he waved his clawed hands over the table as though weaving a protective barrier over the small brown delicacies. Sam, his real name unpronounceable by humans, had informed Kat of his weakness for mushrooms, as they reminded him of his native food.

The Vortigaunts fascinated Kat. They had spent millennia enslaved by other races, yet they still held out hope for independence. Their inborn submissiveness and servitude did little to quiet the universal desire for freedom. She had found most Vortigaunts to be rather reticent about their culture and beliefs, but Sam was an exception to the rule. He had done much to fill in her knowledge of their pitiful history and she been surprised to learn of their deep spirituality.

“You are kind to remember our desires during your duties.” He gathered up the spilled mushrooms, placing them carefully back in the bag and setting them aside. In her conversations with the Vortigaunts, Kat had never heard any of them refer to themselves in the singular. Their shared consciousness felt so very alien and she couldn’t imagine feeling so connected to her own kind. Sam bobbed his head and arranged his face in the Vortiguant version of a smile; he was probably informing his comrades in the camp of her find.

“If I get a chance, I’ll collect some more.”

“Mmmm. It is likely that there will not be time. The last team should arrive tonight and tomorrow we will be busy with preparations.”

“Well, that’s good. I’m looking forward to getting this over with. Will you be coming with us?”

“Yes, yes. We will be assisting with several details, including some objectives assigned to your team. There is another in the mining facility with which we have been able to establish contact. This shall work greatly to our advantage.”

The small hunting cabin they had been using as a headquarters had slowly been filling with voices. The relatively spacious room next to the kitchen had been turned into the main hub for planning the mission. Elena leaned through the doorway, “Come on you two, the scouts just arrived back with the latest update.”

“Katya?” Sam walked over to her as she headed for the doorway. He laid a long scaly hand on her arm and cocked his head as though listening. “You will not find what you think you are looking for out there.”

“What?” She blinked at him in confusion. “What makes you think I’m looking for something?”

“Ahh, some are mere embers while others blaze behind the veil. Perhaps you will find what you need instead.” He bobbed his head and turned away, leaving her staring open-mouthed.

The western side of the ridge sloped steeply down to the bowl of the valley. The team moved carefully along the eastern side, staying low. A thick layer of pine needles coated the ground, making the footing slippery at times. Barney could hear Sam just ahead, humming softly to himself. The Vortiguant hiked confidently through the dark forest; his superior night vision giving him a distinct advantage over the humans.

The ridge was gently descending to the valley floor. Passing between two stands of pine trees, they paused to take a quick look at the well-lit mining operation. Like many Combine facilities, this one appeared to be highly automated. There was one large building near the mine entrance that seemed to be the ore-processing plant. Nearby were several maintenance and storage sheds. Beyond the railroad tracks passing under the ore-loading chute, were smaller buildings including barracks and the living quarters for the human and Vortigaunt workers. Placed throughout the camp were three watchtowers, each manned by a single Combine unit.

As they had hoped, there was little activity at this late hour. They had timed their arrival to coincide with a shift change amongst the guards and mine workers. A pair of Combine guards were just leaving the workers housing and soon disappeared into their own barracks. “Looks nice and quiet,” Barney said softly.
“Let’s get down there and wait on the snipers.”

He quickly glanced back at the team before moving on. Everyone looked calm and focused. Mikhail and Elena were always professional and Nolan was shaping up nicely. Despite Barney’s confidence in Kat’s abilities, he had been a bit worried about how well she would work with the others. As he expected, she was doing her best to keep herself distanced from everyone, but no one seemed to be holding it against her.

Quickly refocusing his attention to the task at hand, Barney followed Sam to the floor of the valley. From their position in the shadows of the pine forest they had a view of the large generator facility attached to the back of the ore-processing factory. Several pylons were clustered around the secondary building, sprouting thick wires that led off to the mine and support buildings. Along the back wall were two large maintenance doors and a single smaller entrance.

Sam had continued to quietly hum intermittently, sounding like a large contented cat. This meant he was in contact with any nearby Vortigaunts, Barney knew. Only through a deeper trance could he reach the shared consciousness of his entire race. “Okay, Sam. Where is everybody?”

After a moment, he responded, “Snipers are in position. Our readiness has been indicated and Gerrun is prepared.”

“Good. Let’s wait for our cue then.” He could only see one watchtower from their current position. The timing of the snipers and the security patrols was vital. Barney shifted his weight and ran through the operation again in his mind. He hated the waiting before the action; that nervous anticipation that felt like a ball of snakes writhing in his stomach. They had arrived right on time though and didn’t have to wait long.

A pair of patrolling soldiers were approaching the back of the processing plant. As they passed the corner of the plant the soldier manning the tower suddenly dropped from sight. The foot patrol continued along the edge of the forest, carrying them close to the team’s hiding place. Kat and Mikhail raised their weapons together. Barney could barely hear Mik counting off softly, “One… two… three.” Two small pops sounded and the soldiers fell simultaneously. The team quickly ran out to move the soldiers into the cover of the underbrush.

The camp remained quiet. “Status, Sam.” The Vortigaunt bobbed his head and concentrated for a moment.

“All patrols have been neutralized.”

“Okay. Everybody ready?” Four pale faces nodded back at him. Barney took a deep breath. There was no turning back now. “Let’s go then.”

They ran to the back of the building and crouched near the electronically locked door. Sam moved to the lock and rubbed his hands together for a moment then held them out towards the lock. Extending his small third arm, he released a short burst of electricity. The lock sparked and crackled and the door released with a click.

Sam stepped back and Barney cracked the door open slowly and looked inside. The interior of the building was dimly lit and a low thrumming filled the air. As their contact had stated, the room was unoccupied. Opening the door a bit further he stepped inside and moved along the wall to make room for the others. Filling most of the room were three rows of tall shielded columns. Each column contained a glowing orb of energy that bobbed gently up and down the length of the cylinder. Although he had seen this odd power source in action before, he always found the languid movements of the spheres strangely hypnotic.

Tearing his eyes away from the columns, Barney looked quickly about the room. Thick black cables snaked from the columns up to the ceiling, connecting to three large transformers at the far end of the room. The opposite wall was lined with banks of blinking monitors and humming electrical equipment. In the farthest corner, just beyond the door leading to the processing plant were the main control consoles.

Nudging Elena into action, Barney continued along the back wall towards the main consoles. Halfway to his destination, he felt a hand on his arm. Elena stopped him and pointed at Sam, who was in turn gripping her arm and fluttering his free hand in a distressed manner. Barney stepped closer, “What is it?”

“There is a problem. There is another…”

The door that led to the processing plant clanked open letting in the loud rumbling of massive machinery. A collared Vortigaunt and two men in Civil Protection uniforms walked into the room. Twice over the past month the rebels, with the assistance of their inside contact, were able to shut down the power to the mining facility for a brief time with minor “equipment failures”. This had allowed them to judge the reaction to the problem and to create what they had hoped to be a sense complacency about the power outages.

Barney leaned in close to Sam and whispered, “What’s going on? Did he say anything?” Gerrun, the Vortigaunt worker who maintained the generators, had always been sent to check the problem on his own. Tonight, he had been going to meet them in the plant under the guise of a routine maintenance check.

Sam pulled his head in towards his chest and shook it slightly, “Gaaah, there was little time. The guards are not suspicious yet.”

They could not hesitate if they were to continue. Barney ran their options through his mind quickly. There weren’t many. He gathered the group close together, “Mik, Elena and Nolan, go back around the other side of the room. Try to get close, but don’t let them get to their radios or get back through that door. Sam, tell Gerrun we’re coming and on your signal he needs to drop down like he’s looking for something under the console. That’ll be the sign to fire.”

The group split and moved around the shadowed edges of the room. The bulky transformer at the end of the row of columns provided ample cover for them as they slipped across the open space to the shelter of the large device. Barney glanced around the corner to see Gerrun doing his best to distract the two Metrocops. He leaned back and tapped Sam’s arm.

Peering back out, he could see that the guards were getting frustrated with Gerrun’s delay tactics. Barney gripped his silenced pistol tightly and raised it to sight on the closest man’s head. Gerrun suddenly started excitedly gesturing at the console and then ducked down below. Both men stepped back from the Vortigaunt’s unexpected disappearance, their movements indicating suspicion. Barney took careful aim and gently squeezed the trigger. His target’s head snapped forward and he crumpled across the console. Before the second guard could react, he too pitched forward, falling onto Gerrun’s protruding legs.

Sam was already running towards the console. Barney and Kat hurried after him. While Sam and Kat coaxed the apprehensive Gerrun from beneath the console, Barney pulled the fallen guard off the work surface. The others ran up and helped to get the corpses moved into the shadows of the nearby machinery.

Sam and Gerrun were conversing rapidly in their harsh, guttural language. “Sam,” Barney prompted, “let’s focus. We need to get this thing shut down.”

“Assistance will be required. This one’s restraint must be removed to allow full use of all abilities.” He fiddled with a lock at the back of Gerrun’s collar, his hands sparking briefly. Gerrun waited patiently and then rubbed at his neck as the collar fell free. “All must step back, this will be unsafe for humans.”

The two Vortigaunts stood back to back and braced themselves. Together they ducked their heads in concentration and raised their hands as an ominous crackling filled the air. Barney took an extra step back, knowing all too well the forces the Vortigaunts were capable of unleashing. Golden bands of electricity arced from the nearest columns towards Sam’s outstretched hands. The scent of ozone filled the air as Gerrun, arms trembling with effort, drew on the collected energy and directed it at the control console.

Barney averted his eyes as the console exploded in a shower of bright sparks. The energy-generating columns began to flicker and pulse erratically. In the next room the sounds of the machinery ground slowly to a halt. “Gerrun, will they be sending someone in here?”

“It is unlikely. They were informed that the maintenance tests might result in an unexpected shutdown. There is not much time though, as they will become suspicious very soon if the assigned guards do not return to report.”

“That’s alright, we’ll take care of the guards in this building. We just need enough time to get the explosives set and get the workers out of here if we can. Sam, tell the other teams to proceed, then let’s get going.”

Two teams would now be heading into the mine with enough explosives to completely destabilize the hillside. Three back-up teams were waiting at the edge of the forest in case something went wrong. There were six more guards and a couple of officers to deal with inside the processing plant. Barney collected his team and started towards the factory door. There was still much to do and the clock was running.

Desperate Measures

Chapter X
(cont.)

Kat and Nolan collected the ammunition from the two fallen guards by the glow of the battery-powered back-up lights. While Kat put away the ammunition, Nolan pulled two large lumps of C4 explosive from his pack and started to place it at the base of a nearby support column. Kat straightened up and looked towards their next objective, the squat office block huddled in the corner of the cavernous factory. According to their information, the block consisted of only a few storage rooms and offices, split by a single central hallway.

Nolan completed his work and they slipped past a looming hulk of silent machinery towards the office hallway. On the wall near the corner was a large corkboard; an oddly human touch in this location. There were memos and notices posted along with duty rosters and security protocols. As she glanced over the board, a label caught Kat’s eye. On the top left corner there was a “Officer on Duty” sign with a name posted underneath. R. Lennox.

The name held her eyes as she went cold and numb inside. She was frozen in place as the memories surged through her. They cleared away all extraneous thoughts, leaving her mind washed clean with only a single goal. A small part of her mind knew that it was senseless to place all the blame on this one individual, but it had given her focus and a reason to go on, having the thought of a defeatable enemy.

“Kat? Come on. We have to check these rooms,” Nolan’s voice buzzed from miles away.

A calm sense of detachment settled over her, as though her mind stepped back to let another force take over. She turned on her heel and proceeded down the hallway. Passing a door labeled “Storage”, she felt a hand on her arm. “Where are you going?” She stopped and turned towards him with an icy look.

“If those rooms need to be cleared, go ahead.” Her voice was flat; a stranger’s voice. “There’s… something I need to check on.”

“But, our orders…”

She stepped towards him, eyes burning, and the small rational corner of her mind was surprised when he stepped back. “Then go tell Barney I’m disobeying orders. I’ll only need a few minutes anyway.” Ignoring his protests, she turned away and continued without him.

Disregarding the next two doors, she continued until she reached one with a small sign reading “Officer on Duty” next to it. There were the unmodified voices of two men arguing inside. She dropped her pistol to her side, opened the door and stepped into the room.

Inside, the two men wearing CP uniforms continued their heated discussion. “That’s the third time this month and we need to get it fixed permanently this time!” growled the older man standing behind the desk.

“They won’t do anything to fix it as long as production…” The second man had his back to her. He turned to face the door. “Was it the same problem as… Who the hell are you?”

Kat turned to the man at the desk. “Lennox?”

His surprised scowled gave him away, “How did you…?”

Without hesitation, Kat turned back to the other man, calmly brought her pistol up and fired in one smooth motion. The man’s face registered a look of surprise, his mouth and eyes growing round. A dark hole appeared on his forehead and he slumped gracelessly to the floor.

Pivoting back to the man behind the desk, she asked clearly, “Are you Lennox?”

He tore his eyes from his fallen companion and swallowed visibly despite his angry glare. “Yes.”

She closed and locked the door, then smiled coldly, “Good. I’ve been waiting so very long to meet you.”

Huge apologies for the long delay! I can't believe it took me so long to write this. I've already started the beginning of the next chapter though, so I hope it won't take as long. It might be the final chapter though, so I'll have to get it "just right". Please bear with me.

This is really well written for a baby in a devil suit!

tinyxipe said:
She closed and locked the door, then smiled coldly, “Good. I’ve been waiting so very long to meet you.”

Gold, just gold...
I'm thinking of making a HL2 Fan-Fic "book" of some of the best ones, and sending it to Valve, yours will be in it...

Brilliant. Makes a guy feel quite inadequate :eek:

Whenever I write I always get an irritating sensation when I switch between "moods"- i.e., I feel as if I'm stopping and starting constantly when I change from, say, an action scene to an extended period of dialogue.

Quite frankly, I'm amazed you've kept up this level of quality- in both the character's verbal interaction and the scenes of physical activity- without disrupting the flow. Kudos to you!

Well, I do tend to have that effect on men. It's the devil suit, you know. :p

I'm glad that the flow works. I have worried about that. I've written several of the chapters in disorganized chunks. For instance, in this chapter, I started the first part, skipped to the end for a bit, jumped to the middle, finished the beginning, then the ending and finally finished the middle. I always worry that they won't link up smoothly.

I've never noticed any drastic pace problems in your story, Edcrab. I skimmed over some of the earlier chapters and your scenes flow together nicely. The only thing that seems unusual to me is that your story is almost completely driven by the dialogue. But I think it works for your characters, so...*shrug* I wish I could offer better observations.

It's hard to read on the computer, I find. I just don't get the same feeling as when I read something curled up on the couch. Maybe I'll try printing some of MC out and giving it a better look.

MC is written somewhat differently from my other works- and I'm pretty sure the dialogue reliance is down to to something to do with the fact it's made-for-forum, as it were. It's not just the transition between formats, I think it must be something to do with the fact I'm aware it's not going to a 200,000 word epic like my "novels", and somehow it suffers for it.

It's just that I've always had the feeling that Desperate Measures could easily be straight from a book- because despite how much I dislike reading from a browser (you're not alone), the style feels not only normal but perfect for what you're trying to do with it, unlike other fanfics- which, regrettably, I include my own amongst- that feel subtlely different to traditional writing, for whatever reason.

Gah, I'm having difficulty describing what I mean here but hopefully you'll get where I'm coming from...

Read it from the start on fanfiction.net, and if anything it's got better and better :O

That's more through the fleshing out (through their further exploits) of your characters of course, rather than any shift in the quality of your writing style ;)

*prepares to camp thread until there's some activity!*

Ah, you're too kind. :)

Progress is being made on the next chapter.

Okay, since Edcrab can run around swiping my ideas, I'll be taking one of his now. ;) I'm posting this chapter in two parts, as I can't stand delaying it any longer and the end still needs some work. Sorry about the double post, but I wanted to let you know what was going on. I hope you guys like it!

Desperate Measures

Chapter XI

“Here. Sit.” Kat shoved a chair across the room with her foot as her eyes flicked to the watch on her wrist. There was not much time. Lennox stepped over to the chair and sat, his eyes sullen and angry.

She paced around him for a moment, trying to collect the whirlwind of emotions and long-rehearsed interrogations in her mind. The small voice of reason had been roughly thrust into the farthest reaches of her mind by a much stronger force. It kept her hovering outside of herself, unable to control the unfolding events.

“So, I really want to know; how can you live with yourself after slaughtering hundreds of innocent people?”

“I don't know what you're talking about.” His voice was smooth, despite the beads of sweat forming on his balding scalp.

“No? What about the people who were living quietly around this area? They weren't causing any problems.”

“We relocated quite a few people when we started this operation up. No one was…”

“Bullshit!” she shouted abruptly. “I was there!”

She drew back and watched him squirm for a moment before continuing in a low, dangerous voice. “I watched while your squad exterminated an entire community. I watched them shoot people in the back. I watched them beat people to death and then I watched them drag everyone into a barn and burn it down. And I heard your name.”

There was a long silence. Lennox stared at the floor. Just when she thought he wasn't going to reply, he shook his head. “Look, you can't possibly understand…” He trailed off weakly.

“Understand what? How hard it is working for the Combine?”

“I have a kid.”

Of all the things she expected to hear from him, this was certainly not one of them. “What? But there aren't…”

“No. He's all grown up. But he's all I have.” He looked up at her, his tired brown eyes looking defeated. He knew how this would probably end. “You've heard my story. I lost my wife, my two youngest kids in the portal storms and the war. My son and I fled to the city. He was fifteen at the time. Early on, the ration supply system wasn't working real well and no one was getting enough to eat. I was watching my boy starve right in front of me.”

He paused and wiped a hand over his face. “I had to do something, didn't I? Would you just watch your kid starve?” He didn't wait for an answer. “So I joined up. It kept us fed even if I had to do things that were…morally questionable.”

“But why? How could you keep doing it? There are alternatives.”

“It wasn't too bad at first. They make you believe it, that what you're doing is for the best for humanity. By the time I saw what was really happening, it was too late.” He looked back down at the floor and sighed heavily. “My son joined Civil Protection against my wishes, as soon as he was old enough. He didn't know…he didn't understand what he was getting into. They like it when there are family ties. It gives them leverage.

“If I were to run off, they would punish him to get at me and I can't let that happen. I've heard they send deserters families to Nova Prospekt, so I do what I'm told and I keep my head down. I was sent out here two months ago on a security detail and I just follow my orders, whether it's babysitting a bunch of miners or clearing out surrounding communities.”

Again he looked up, “What would you do? If you had to choose between a group of random survivalists and your own flesh and blood, who would you protect? Look, I'm sorry if you knew those people, but I just did what I had to do.”

Kat was frozen. This was not how she had always imagined this encounter. There was no distance now. She looked out from behind her own eyes into Lennox's sagging face. He wasn't a monster, only human. She stepped back from him, shaking her head, “No…no, I don't believe you. You're lying…”

“We both know you're here to kill me, so that doesn't matter does it? I always had a feeling it would end like this. Karma, right?”

A sudden banging on the door distracted both of them. “Open the door!” Mikhail shouted from the hallway.

Kat whirled back towards the immobile Lennox, hands now visibly shaking as she held the gun. “No! Just give me one more minute!”

Mind roiling with indecision, she stared at Lennox. He was looking at the door with a calm acceptance, his fear and anger dissipated by the act of confession. “I can't…I can't let you…” she stammered.

The door crashed open and heavy footsteps entered the room. There was a sharp puff of air and Lennox jerked violently. His eyes turned back to hers as he slowly slumped off the chair. She spun around to see Mikhail scowling at her, “You're putting everything at risk.”

The little voice of reason fled completely for safer ground. A red haze floated down over her vision and she snarled wordlessly as she launched herself across the room at him. Unprepared for her attack, Mikhail was propelled into the wall. With a strength fueled by rage, Kat grappled with him, reaching for his throat.

Suddenly there were other voices in the small room and Kat was yanked bodily off of Mikhail. Barney had her by the scruff of her neck and was shaking her forcefully. “Stop it! Knock it off!”

Nolan restrained a panting Mikhail. He examined a large gash on his cheek with his fingers as he glared murderously at her.

“What in the hell is wrong with you two?” Barney asked angrily. “This is not the time or the place. There are people counting on us. You two go give Elena a hand rounding up the rest of those workers and give me a second here.”

As Nolan and Mikhail left the room he turned to her, “You better have a good explanation.”

The haze had lifted, leaving her shaky and drained. “I…I found him,” she replied, still winded from her efforts. She forced herself to look him in the eye, her face burning with shame.

“Lennox,” he said flatly, looking at the corpse next to the chair.

“Yes. I didn't… I couldn't…do it.” She drew in a deep shuddering breath and ran a trembling hand over her disheveled hair, “He…he wasn't what I expected. I just saw the name and I… I had to… I didn't think…” She trailed off weakly.

He gave her a long hard look and shook his head slightly, “Kat, I can't say I don't understand, but you need to get your head back in the game here. There are other lives at stake. When we get back, you and I are going to have a long talk. Right now, I need you to be thinking straight.”

Eyes downcast, she nodded, “I know. I'm sorry. I…”

“We'll talk later,” he interrupted. As he spoke, the overhead lights started to flicker on and off half-heartedly. Taking her arm, he propelled her towards the door. “We need to get everyone out of here now. They weren't supposed to have that backup generator on this quickly and it's going to give them access to the security systems.”

They ran down the hallway and into the cavernous factory. Dodging under the hulking machinery, they saw two figures approaching. Nolan and Sam jogged towards them. “What are you guys still doing in here?” Barney demanded.

“We came back to get you. Elena and Mik took the workers out already. And Sam says that the teams in the mine haven't gotten out yet.”

Sam shook his head woefully as he turned to head back towards the exit, “There was a problem subduing the guards. Panic arose among the enslaved ones and the schedule was not kept. They are headed towards the surface only now.”

As they hurried to the door, alarms began to echo throughout the camp. “Damn it! This is starting to fall apart,” Barney said under his breath.
They reached the exit and Nolan pulled on the door handle. Nothing happened. He yanked harder, “It's locked.”

Barney turned and flipped open the security access panel. A small red light flashed in the corner. “Sam, see what you can do with this.” Sam stepped forward and shot a small burst of energy from his extended hands. The panel sparked and crackled, but the red light continued to glow smugly. Nolan tried the door again to no avail.

Rumbling what sounded like a Vortigaunt curse, Sam took a step back, held out his hands and released a violent blast of green electricity. The panel belched out a gout of flame and quickly settled down to releasing tendrils of black, acrid smoke. He snorted in a satisfied manner and turned to Nolan.

The door still would not budge. “Maybe the front door?” Kat ventured.

“The locking system will probably be the same and that yard is going to be swarming with Combine any minute now,” Barney replied, looking around at the windowless walls. “We need to find another way out of here.”

“There is an opening in the north wall,” Sam suddenly croaked. “The unwanted products are removed to the outside along a conveyor belt. There is a small gap where it exits the building.”

“Well, it's worth a try,” Nolan said. Kat looked at him as he spoke and felt a stab of guilt as he looked sharply away from her gaze. This is all my fault. We're trapped in here because of me.

As if to accentuate her miserable thoughts, gunfire suddenly rang out in the distance. It was quickly answered by the unmistakable thumping of a Combine pulse rifle. Picking up the pace, they ran back through the plant.

Great as ever :D I've always liked the sense of tension you inspire and, of course, your style of character interaction.

It was certainly a dramatic move to reveal that Lennox might not be such a bastard, and then kill him off just as we're coming to terms with it :O

Encore! Looking forward to the next segment!

Man I wanted Lenox dead at the start but after reading this chapter it has changed my views.
Top quality, keep it up :cheese:

Chapter XI (cont.)

Hidden beyond a maze of catwalks and conveyor belts, a small opening was visible high on the north wall. Sam led the way up a nearby ladder, guiding them confidently with the aid of borrowed memories.

Kat looked doubtfully at the narrow conveyor when they reached it. It was only about two feet wide and covered with sharp rubble. The gap in the wall was also rather minimal, perhaps eight inches at most. It would be a tight fit.

She started removing her vest and pack, folding them into a compact bundle, as the others discussed whether or not there was enough support on the boom outside to hold the extra weight. “I’ll go,” she announced and hopped up onto the belt. “It’ll either hold, or it won’t.”

“Kat, wait,” Barney grabbed at her arm as she started past. “Just…just be careful when you get out there, stay low or you’ll be an easy target.”

She gave him a nod and a small smile, “I know.” Turning back towards the gap, she picked her way carefully along the rock-littered belt and wriggled through the small opening.

Emerging from the dusty building, Kat took a deep breath of cold night air as she quickly looked around. Emergency flood lights illuminated the broad, open work yard with a sickly glow. Gunshots rang out sporadically to her left, but the bulk of the processing plant hid the combat from her view. Below the end of the boom sat a large slag pile, enclosed on three sides by a retaining wall.

She cautiously scuttled out to the end of the boom and dropped her bundle of equipment over the edge. The drop was a good fifteen feet to the top of the slag pile. Trying not to imagine the sharp edges of the brittle shale, she hopped off the end of the conveyor belt. Her boots sank several inches into the loose rock, pulling her off balance. Windmilling her arms wildly, she bounced and skidded to the base of the pile before being halted abruptly by the wall.

The other three jumped from the boom, one by one, descending to the bottom in a similarly awkward style. Quickly regrouping in the shelter of the wall, they assessed their situation. Much of the gunfire was coming from the barracks area to the south and Sam confirmed that the teams in the mine were nearing the surface.

“Good,” Barney nodded. “Let’s see about getting out of here and back into the woods.” Leading them around the interior of the retaining wall, he suddenly lurched backwards into Kat. Gunshots kicked up loose shale where he had just been standing. “Damn. There’s a whole bunch of them out there near that maintenance shed.”

He leaned back out and fired off a couple of shots. A fierce barrage answered, driving them all back deeper into the cover of the walls. “What’s in there, Sam? They’re trying to get into it.”

“Maintenance equipment, it is thought. We are not aware of the exact contents. It would be best if they were stopped.”

“Yeah, it would…” A ratcheting groan echoed menacingly across the work yard. “…But it sounds like that’s out of our hands now. We’ll just have to try to stop whatever they’re up to and provide covering fire for the teams in the mine. Nolan, I want you to get around to the other side of this hill. Kat, you stay here and Sam, you stay in touch with the other teams.” Everyone nodded in acknowledgement and moved to their positions as Barney climbed the side of the slag pile for a better vantage point.

Kat peered out from behind the retaining wall onto the yard. The tall maintenance shed now gaped open, ready, she was sure, to disgorge some horrible menace. Two Combine soldiers moved into the opening and quickly fell to a hail of bullets, while disturbingly loud noises of destruction began to emanate from the building. A mining car suddenly hurtled out of the open door, followed by a long slender leg.

A strider, crouched to its lowest height, sidled carefully out of the building. She watched in awe as it raised itself to its full height and swung around to view its surroundings, warbling in strange synthetic tones. Outfitted to assist with maintenance, its body was hung with assorted chains and winches instead of the usual deadly weaponry. Unfortunately, it was not completely powerless as it began firing a pulse weapon into the surrounding forest.

Under the cover of the strider’s fire, the Combine troops stepped up their attack. Figures could be seen moving among the barracks to the south, edging carefully towards the trees. Kat was able to dispatch two but she knew that the soldiers were the least of their problems. Nothing short of a half dozen RPGs would take out the strider and while it had the run of the work yard, they, and the teams in the mine, were trapped.

Those legs… They looked so vulnerable. But the fact that they were so thin made them nearly impossible to damage. The larger body was a better target, but nothing they had could damage it. But the legs… Just to take out one would be enough to cripple it completely.

As she reached back to grab another clip, her hand brushed against a round cylinder. A grenade. That might be enough to destroy a strider leg, but it would be nearly impossible to actually make contact with the target at the right moment. Unless…

Distractedly shoving the fresh clip into her weapon, she left her position and ran around the back of the slag pile. Nolan was crouched next to the retaining wall, waiting for a target. She dropped down next to him and touched his shoulder. “Nolan, I need that extra block of explosive.”

He turned to her suspiciously, “What for?”

“I think I can get us out of here.” She watched as his eyes flicked up to Barney’s location on the side of the small hill and then back to her. “No, I didn’t ask permission. Just believe me that this will work.”

“I don’t know…”

“Damn it Nolan! Just give it to me! There isn’t time to argue about this.” At his continued hesitation, she reached for his pack.

“Okay, okay!” He twisted around and dug into the pack, extracting a harmless looking block of C4. “Here,” he shoved it at her and turned back to watch for the enemy.

Kat grabbed it and started working it into a long rope. Nolan glanced back and spoke over his shoulder, “You’d better tell him.”

She continued her work without looking up, “It doesn’t matter. And he’d only try to stop me.”

Nolan looked back again, his brows furrowed “Wha…what are you going to do?”

“I’m going to fix everything.” Coiling and pinching the length of explosive around the grenade, she left about a foot hanging loose. Satisfied with her handiwork, she tucked it into a pocket and looked up at his back.

“Thanks. I’m sorry about what happened in there. Tell Mikhail…tell him that I said I was sorry.” Before he could respond, she turned and ran back behind the slag pile to find Sam. He was squatting against the wall, staring vaguely up at the sky, his eye half-closed. She reached out and gently touched his knee, startling him out of his trance.

“Sam, I’m sorry, but I need your help. I need you to contact the group in the mine. Tell them they have to get the strider’s attention. They have to keep it focused on the mine entrance. Tell the teams in the woods to keep those soldiers behind the buildings however they can, suppressing fire, distraction, whatever.”

“It shall be done,” he said, giving her a long, calculating look, his head cocked to one side, “if you feel it is truly the best course of action.”

“It is. You were right, you know, about what I was looking for.” He simply nodded. “Thank you, Sam.”

The strider was stilting around the center of the camp, firing at any movement in the woods. As she reached the edge of the retaining wall, gunshots rang out from the mouth of the mine, bouncing harmlessly off the well-armored creature. It turned itself to face the mine and lowered its body to take better aim. The shots from the forest had ceased and now picked up again from behind the barracks.

Kat had watched the movement pattern of the legs. No matter how fast they tried to move, two legs had to be on the ground at all times. This gave a certain amount of time before a leg could be picked up again. As massive as they were, striders weren’t terribly fast and as this one concentrated on the mine, it only made small adjustments to its position.

Although she was fortunate enough to already be slightly behind the strider’s position, she had no idea of the range of its peripheral vision. It was only about fifty yards away, but a roundabout route would be safer. She slipped out of her pack and vest. Anything that might weight her down she discarded. Her pulse was roaring in her ears as she checked that the pin on the grenade was easily accessible one last time and started running.

Following the wall of the processing plant for cover, she ran until she was well behind the strider’s position and then turned out into the yard. As she changed direction, the towering figure loomed in front of her, the upper reaches of its frame nearly lost in the darkness.

Slowing briefly to cross a set of tracks, she headed for the rear leg. Just above the height of her head, the leg sprouted a ring of vicious downward curving spikes. These, she assumed, were to keep enemies from shimmying up the leg to access the vulnerable joints, but they would suit her purpose perfectly.

The strider had just readjusted its position and the leg was planted directly in front of her now. She raced up to it, pulling the explosive-wrapped grenade from her pocket. Wrapping one arm around the leg, she jammed the grenade firmly into the joint formed by two of the spikes and twisted the loose end of the C4 around them to anchor the makeshift bomb.

Fumbling for the pin, Kat felt the enormous creature shift suddenly. Her fingers found their target and pulled just as the leg lifted into the air. She turned and ran. The strider hooted in annoyance and stomped after her. There was no way she was going to outrun it and shelter seemed to be miles away, but she only needed a few more seconds…

A leg thudded into the earth just a few yards to her right. Too close, I’ll be too close when it goes off...

Something suddenly caught her in the back, lifting her off her feet and sending her flailing through the air. It kicked me! Behind her there was the roar of an explosion, followed by a wailing moan, but it barely registered as the ground rushed towards her.

* * *​

The incessant noise and chatter slowly dragged Kat out of the soft darkness that cradled her. Someone was speaking urgently into her ear, but all she could think of was the enormous weight on her chest. She tried to breathe deeply, but the pain was phenomenal. Just enough air to ask the voices to be quiet, that was all she needed, but she could only manage short little gasps.

One voice buzzed closer and eventually, began to make some sense. “…wake up. I need you to…”

Concentrating all of her powers, she managed at last to open her eyes. The canopy of pine branches overhead and the smell of blood in the air swiftly brought back her memory.

“…they get out?” she wheezed.

“It’s okay. Don’t try to talk. We’re going to take care of you.” A man with a white and red badge on his arm hovered over her, poking at her abdomen.

“No… Did it…work?” She tried lifting a hand to push him away, but nothing seemed to be working properly.

To her relief, the medic suddenly withdrew his probing, but neglected to answer her as he turned away to speak to someone out of her range of vision. She tried to listen to the conversation, but her head felt stuffed with wool.

“…lucid now, but… …broken ribs, possibly a concussion and collapsed lung…”

“…move her?”

“…internal injuries… …not a good idea…”

She started to lose interest in the conversation. It didn’t seem important anyway. The darkness was still there, on the edge of her awareness, beckoning gently. But there was still a question, a significant one, which she needed to have answered before she could allow herself to give in to it.

“Kat? Kat, look at me.”

A new voice pulled her fully back to pain-filled wakefulness. With monumental concentration, she managed to turn her head and focus her eyes to see Barney looking at her with concern. The sight of his face reminded her of the question she wanted answered.

“We need to get you…”

“Did…did they…the mine…” Her voice was little but a rasping whisper.

“Did they get out?” She managed a slight nod. “They didn’t tell you? Your…idea worked. It took down the strider and the teams were able to get out of there and blow the mine. We’re going to clear out the rest of the troops and see if we can salvage a vehicle to…”

She let her attention drift away. It had worked and that was all that mattered. She hadn’t failed them in the end, not like she had at the farm. Her eyes slid closed and something deep within her released the tight bands of guilt that had been tormenting her for months. The pain was bearable now and the darkness reached towards her. With a sigh, she let herself fall into its welcome embrace.

Well, I hope it was worth the wait. :)

:(

That's just incredibly emotive. The description of the action and the surroundings were, of course, brilliant as usual but they paled in comparison to Kat's inner struggles... you really are good at character interaction!

You certainly know how to set up a perfect finale- my eyes are literally welling up here.

I must say that last chapter was gripping, especially the character interaction like Edcrab said, I wish my characters were that well-thought out. I'll have to go back and read the other chapters lol!.

Edcrab said:
You certainly know how to set up a perfect finale- my eyes are literally welling up here.
/me gives Edcrab a hug.

Awww, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you sad.

Actually, yes, yes I did. That's exactly what I was going for and I was terrified it might be too sappy. That's what took me so long to get it out. I'm glad it seems to have come across the way I was hoping it would.

is this a final chapter, or you'll keep on going,
/me and everybody wants more of tinyxipe;s awsome writing

I'm not sure. There may be a short epilogue. I have it planned out in my head, but I haven't written any of it down yet. I wanted to see what sort of reaction the end of this chapter recieved. Feedback anyone?

Did the ending seem a little abrupt to any of you?

That was brilliant. Best thing I've read this year.

Very sad ending.

I'm quite happy with the ending as it is but I doubt anyone'll complain if you decide to add an epilogue :D

If you feel you've got some loose ends to tie up, go for it...

I dont want Kat dead :(
Its they way she does go that is so good and emotive: with he quest copmplete and having saved so many lives, she finaly gives into her injuries and dies in peace.
This story really moved me tbh, its just they way the characters are so beliveable.

I hope you write more Hl2 fanfic :bounce:

I think I'll write out the epilogue and see how it goes. If it comes out okay, I'll post it. It's not so much loose ends as...well, I'm not sure if I want Kat dead either. I really became quite attached to her and she might have fun working on more xenobiology. I love trying to figure these darn aliens out, and the Vorts, I was just getting used to writing them!

Oooo, now it seems too short. :( So many ideas still untapped...

I just got around to reading this, really, really good! Oo; Well, I could say a lot more than that, but y'know.

I wanted Lennox dead <<. Well, I s'pose he did, but she didn't get to just kill him directly.

>>;; You did kinda write yourself into a corner with Kat, though. Unless she... errr, slipper into a coma that lasted until after the citadel gets knocked down =P.

Back