Deus Ex Human Revolution

I don't know enough about that author to trust him. It all sounds good, and sound relatively balanced with pointing out good and bad things, but then... hes a video game journalist...

Both previews sound pretty good and my hope/scepticism ratio went up.

I think it's enough for me to preorder it sometime. Preordering is weird to me without incentives though so I guess I'll track down the best of those. I really hope it lives up to these claims... and my computer runs it.

alec is the only guy I trust on RPS. walker doesn't know when to shut up, and quintin is always acting like he's butthurt for some reason. there was kieron from pcg uk, but he left the site ages ago. he's a huge fan of the deus ex series.

I don't know enough about that author to trust him. It all sounds good, and sound relatively balanced with pointing out good and bad things, but then... hes a video game journalist...

Quinns is awesome. He can sometimes get a little carried away, but he is one of the few journos I really trust. Check out this review for a good example of his writing and more specifically his critical faculties.

Quinns is awesome. He can sometimes get a little carried away, but he is one of the few journos I really trust. Check out this review for a good example of his writing and more specifically his critical faculties.

Nah, I can't trust anybody who is confused when people pronounce Caesar as Kai-zar. THATS THE WAY ITS PRONOUNCED DAMNIT.

Nah, I can't trust anybody who is confused when people pronounce Caesar as Kai-zar. THATS THE WAY ITS PRONOUNCED DAMNIT.

Indeed, and that is also where the German word 'Kaiser'(Emperor) comes from!

As another example, Emperor in Swedish is 'Kejsare', not sure how to type how to pronounce it though. If I just go by gut I'd type Schey-zareh.

Anyway, regardless of anyone else, I am excited for this.

There are too few cyberpunk games in my opinion so I'll take whatever I can get.:p

And Celtics is pronounced Keltics. I'm pretty sure there was no such thing as a soft "c" until the "Late Latin" period, which started around the third century AD.

But we digress.

All I hear it from is our Irish Community Center and History/School + the Basketball team and that's always "sell-ticks"

Dono about all that history mumbo jumbo though! Would be interesting. I Loves me some words

There's a football club in Scotland call "sel-tics" too but if you're talking about the actual iron-age people it's pronounced "Kelts".

I just read something in another preview - you can turn off the yellow highlighting, however supposedly even when it's on it isn't annoying, as only objects that are really close to you get highlighted.

Yeah, the RPS one mentioned that you can turn it off too. Thank god for that. Even if it did turn on only when you were close, that is just too much hand holding. They also said you can turn off the waypoint system which always has an icon on your screen annoying the shit out of you, but he said that sometimes there isn't sufficient hints to get you to where you need to go without it. Small price to pay imo.

Yeah, the RPS one mentioned that you can turn it off too. Thank god for that. Even if it did turn on only when you were close, that is just too much hand holding. They also said you can turn off the waypoint system which always has an icon on your screen annoying the shit out of you, but he said that sometimes there isn't sufficient hints to get you to where you need to go without it. Small price to pay imo.

Oh, I must've missed it in the RPS preview, I only remember the part about turning off the waypoint arrow. I don't know if that's necessarily "hand holding" - it's a bit like pressing a key to highlight items you can pick up in some games (and here it kind of makes sense with Jensen having sight-related implants and all). Anyway, it's good that it's up to the player to choose whether he wants this kind of aid.

I clicked OK on the 2027 birthdate and I'm getting a "Sorry, you cannot access this content at this time."

Hopefully the gameplay and story are good, because the graphics look mediocre at best. Also I really don't like the color palette.

Highlighted destroyable walls. :|
One-shotting people in close quarters with a pistol while just walking around not even bothering with cover. :|
Pistol has exploding ammo. :|
More canned kill animations. :|
Terrible character models. :|
Cinematics out the ass. :|

Skepticism about this game is at an all time high.

Highlighted destroyable walls. :|
Highlighting can be disabled..
One-shotting people in close quarters with a pistol while just walking around not even bothering with cover. :|
Are you serious? Video game trailers are always set up deliberately to show fluidity of the video, not the difficulty of the game. You'll also notice that the player doesn't die in the trailer either. Gasp, it must be the easiest stupidest game of all time then.
Pistol has exploding ammo. :|
Very old news. Also what's wrong with that? It's an upgrade you can make to your weapon.
More canned kill animations. :|
Aren't we done mentioning this? It's been known and acknowledged a billion times since forever that the kill animations are a part of the melee gameplay. Why the **** wouldn't they show that in the trailer?

Highlighting can be disabled..
I know. Its just another example of how stupid the devs think their customers are, which will have repercussions beyond highlighting.

Are you serious? Video game trailers are always set up deliberately to show fluidity of the video, not the difficulty of the game. You'll also notice that the player doesn't die in the trailer either. Gasp, it must be the easiest stupidest game of all time then.
Didn't look very fluid to me, looked sluggish. The fact that its stacked in the "player's" favor for the trailer doesn't make it look any less bad. Trailers are supposed to make the game look good.

Very old news. Also what's wrong with that? It's an upgrade you can make to your weapon.
Exploding ammo for a pistol? Whats wrong with it? Are you kidding me? I'm not going to be able to take the story seriously when they do something so unrealistic as putting explosive rounds in a god damn six-shooter. Plus the explosions were literally no more than 3 feet away from the player. Yeah yeah, stacked for the trailer, but it still looks stupid and I doubt its much better in the game. Combined with my first point about how they think players are stupid ****s, I won't be surprised at all if there was no splash damage at all from that.

Aren't we done mentioning this? It's been known and acknowledged a billion times since forever that the kill animations are a part of the melee gameplay. Why the **** wouldn't they show that in the trailer?

I'll be done mentioning it when its stops being a feature, and they wouldn't show it in the trailer if they wanted to make their game not look like dumbed down shit.

You know... the more I actually think about it, the more I'm beginning to think Samon is right. Its like with the BF3 media, it all makes it look like its dumbed down to the point where it gets a bit retarded.

Exploding ammo for a pistol? Whats wrong with it? Are you kidding me? I'm not going to be able to take the story seriously when they do something so unrealistic as putting explosive rounds in a god damn six-shooter.

Mass Effect 2 also included explosive pistol rounds. I don't recall ever going through ME2 and thinking "Damn these Explosive Pistol Rounds, I can't take this story seriously anymore! **** it!"

Also if your argument is that it's unrealistic, this is Deus Ex, dsalkjnfkjsanflkasnfdksa, did you play Deus Ex 1?! There was a ****ing lightsaber in that ****ing game. Also you could grow your limbs back with candybars and soda.
Since when has Deus Ex been about realistic weapons or even realistic mechanics? And why, out of all the retarded, ridiculous shit in the Deus Ex franchise, is explosive pistol rounds the boiling point?

With the exception of the lightsaber (which was stupid) the rest of the weapons were realistic in their functions and technology. In the first game, the story, the setting, the environments, the weapons for the most part, and even augmentations were believable and realistically achievable from where we are in technology today. Nobody, nobody nobody nobody would mod their revolver to shoot explosives. This (combined with the other things I mentioned that you already forgot about apparently) is the boiling point because its something clearly done for the "hurr durr dats so kool" crowd of idiots, and I'm finally realizing that that is who the game is being made for.

augmentations were believable and realistically achievable from where we are in technology today

Just like the mind controlled hovering drone that could detonate and cause an EMP wave large enough to take down a large security bot. Or an eye mod that lets you see the "percentage" of health on an enemies limbs.

Deus Ex is a series that can let you suspend your disbelief for a few technological advancements. I fail to see how this is worse than the old game.

I would absolutely mod my revolver to shoot explosives. That's why I have my machine gun.

Wow did everyone just suddenly forget all of the previews people have made saying this could potentially be game of the year hands down? It's a ****ing cinematic... when has a cinematic ever *ever* correlated to actual gameplay?

I mean look at this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpEoLH0cUSw

This was back when there weren't really in game cinematics to be shown and it still doesn't make the game look all that appealing. Just shapes it up to be another shooter and tries to show off circa 2000 graphics. I don't recall ever basing a decision to purchase a game based on a trailer, and I don't think I'm going to start.

By the way as for exploding pistol rounds, why is that so out of the question? It's the future in a situation where you're using hardcore military technology. There are high yield explosives that are extremely powerful in small amounts and I assume in a world on the brink of nanotechnology they would be able to create a small enough mechanism to trigger explosives in ammo. Also, revolvers can use larger types of ammo because they have less tendency to jam and wouldn't require massive mechanisms to chamber additional rounds. The reason revolvers don't dominate pistols today is capacity... but the revolver mechanism is as good as it gets for reliability across caliber...

Sorry to come in here and appear all fanboy-ish, but I can't just let people run around pretending cinematics = gameplay. If you need more examples go look at the lovely cinematic for island and then watch the bland gameplay video...

game just leaked....still the only game I'm gonna this year for sure with BF3

Pistol has exploding ammo.

And this is bad? What's wrong with exploding ammo? Is that not believable in a sci-fi setting where people can turn hands into guns? To be honest, not being an expert in ammos and weapons, I could believe that such things are used today by special corps and marines.

Back