Direct X 8 shaders vs Direct X 9 shaders images

Can someone anwser this question?

I know a Geforce 4 card is a DX8 card, and the FX series is DX9, but for the ATI cards, how does it work? I know the 9800 is DX9 but what about the 9500, 9600, and 9700? I'm thinking about getting a ATI card but I can't afford the 9800 Pro, but I want to make sure I get a lesser card that still has DX9.

I think you're all under some sort of illusion that DX9 will look vastly superior to DX8, which isn't true. Yes, there will be a few fun little eye candy tricks, but it won't be all that noticeable. Just small stuff like light reflection and other such things that you hardly even notice when you're playing the game will be visible with DX9 hardware. This is just the simple truth, and not a flame directed at anyone. Just wanted to clear this fact up.

Originally posted by ApocalypseNow
After many, many hours of comparing the two Direct X 8.1 & 9.0b pictures, I have concluded that HALF-LIFE 2 IS ****ING AWESOME!!! THE BEST ****ING GAME EVER!!! WHO CARES ABOUT MINOR DIFFERENCES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!v

Quoted for emphasis.

all 9500s, 9600s, 9700s, and 9800s are DX 9 compliant and capable cards

HDR, motion blur, depth of field... these are amazing features in dx9 and I think they are finally going to start making games look more realistic and less like cartoons. I'm not upgrading to a dx9 card yet but I'm definitely going to in the near future, it's worth it.
HL2 will still look great on older cards too because the artistic design is just that good; control of colour, lighting, archtiecture, etc all make a game look great.

I don't see any difference, maybe a little ligter, but that's all.
Is that where i bought a 9800 pro for??

The static shots look pretty similiar, IMO, but when the game's in motion the difference will obviously be more apparent.

Originally posted by Styloid
HDR, motion blur, depth of field... these are amazing features in dx9 and I think they are finally going to start making games look more realistic and less like cartoons. I'm not upgrading to a dx9 card yet but I'm definitely going to in the near future, it's worth it.
HL2 will still look great on older cards too because the artistic design is just that good; control of colour, lighting, archtiecture, etc all make a game look great.

Absolutely right.

Look guys, we all know that 9800 turn all the eyecandy on, if you want everything on go for it otherwise, just play it on what you have now.

It doesn't look like much on the stills, but wait untill you're walking around in it!

Originally posted by Incitatus
It doesn't look like much on the stills, but wait untill you're walking around in it!

It is hard to notice especially on that pic.....but the water and all the reflections look much better in the DX9 shot.

No but seriously, if you tried to run that HDR demo, you wouldnt get those awsome shiny reflections... so HAH!
Specular maps are possible on DX8 cards.

That maybe true Dagobert, but spectacular "maps" aren't! Hah : P

I'm going to wait for the next video cards since I already have a Ti 4600... but I am definately going to upgrade everything else.

Originally posted by crabcakes66
/me points at someone who spent 500$ on a 5900ultra..

Yes obviously if he thinks 8.1 looks better he must have done that. And since he made a 500$ mistake I think you should bash him for it!!! God knows if you made a mistake that costed $500 youd want people to call you on it night and day!!! asshole.

i will spend extra money for ati 9800 and i will see dx9 differences... because these 2 shots prove nothing .

so stop gettin so happy over these 2 useless shots..damn...

Sorry when I said $800 I meant Canadian price... I didn't pull it out of my ass. And I don't care if you can FIND one for $xxx dollars, some people aren't that smart too shop around, and will go to some sort of expensive rip off computer store and shell out twice the amount for a graphics card... I'm just saying some people will see these two screenshots and say " That's worth spending upwards of $500 on..." and it's all a big marketing scheme put together by 1) Microsoft and 2) ATI. Valve probably had a hand in it too... why would they do a benchmark if it wasn't?!

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2/screens.html?page=53
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2/screens.html?page=54

Open both of those screenshots and maximize them full, and then cycle between them both and look really hard at every inch of the screen. If you notice THE ONLY THING DIFFERENT IS THE WATER... and not by much... the only thing it looks like is the textures are brighter through the water... and how that makes your gaming experience 100x better is beyond me, because your going to be running through the levels killing aliens, not noticing miniscule texture differences... but go ahead and fall for this marketing gimmick if you want...

I can see that this would be a good thing for someone who is trading in their GeForce 2 or something for a new card, and doesn't know which one to get, but people are thinking of trading in their GeForceFXs for top of the line ATI cards. When it comes down to it, my original statement can be seen as true, because YOU ARE WASTING $800... on two cards!

On a sidenote, this whole thing reeks of Microsoft trying to ruin nVidia. They teamed up with ATI for their future XBox graphic card development, and are trying to monopolize the graphics card industry as well. This isn't a conspiracy, because they make it so blatantly obvious that this whole benchmark fiasco is another way to sit back and start laughing as the money rolls in.

My suggestion? Wait till the F'in game comes out. Who runs through a scene when playing a game and starts to cry because the bricked wall isn't bumpmapped?!

people are actually buying a new video card for one game? Not just one game but for a few extra tinkles here and there i.e for an extra 5% of speciel effects and graphic improvements (as gabe has already stated). Jeezus, I'm glad you people have money to waste.

An by the time the next big FPS (DooM3) is upon us, the DX10 cards will be almost ready, and if you get one of them you will have full DX9 quality for all previous games and also DX10 quality for future games.

Originally posted by mortiz
people are actually buying a new video card for one game? Not just one game but for a few extra tinkles here and there i.e for an extra 5% of speciel effects and graphic improvements (as gabe has already stated). Jeezus, I'm glad you people have money to waste.

An by the time the next big FPS (DooM3) is upon us, the DX10 cards will be almost ready, and if you get one of them you will have full DX9 quality for all previous games and also DX10 quality for future games.

And will the Ati Radeon 10000Pro rule over the Nvidia GeForce FX 6000Ultra too? :D

Originally posted by Heleos
Sorry when I said $800 I meant Canadian price... I didn't pull it out of my ass. And I don't care if you can FIND one for $xxx dollars, some people aren't that smart too shop around, and will go to some sort of expensive rip off computer store and shell out twice the amount for a graphics card... I'm just saying some people will see these two screenshots and say " That's worth spending upwards of $500 on..." and it's all a big marketing scheme put together by 1) Microsoft and 2) ATI. Valve probably had a hand in it too... why would they do a benchmark if it wasn't?!

Open both of those screenshots and maximize them full, and then cycle between them both and look really hard at every inch of the screen. If you notice THE ONLY THING DIFFERENT IS THE WATER... and not by much... the only thing it looks like is the textures are brighter through the water... and how that makes your gaming experience 100x better is beyond me, because your going to be running through the levels killing aliens, not noticing miniscule texture differences... but go ahead and fall for this marketing gimmick if you want...

I can see that this would be a good thing for someone who is trading in their GeForce 2 or something for a new card, and doesn't know which one to get, but people are thinking of trading in their GeForceFXs for top of the line ATI cards. When it comes down to it, my original statement can be seen as true, because YOU ARE WASTING $800... on two cards!

On a sidenote, this whole thing reeks of Microsoft trying to ruin nVidia. They teamed up with ATI for their future XBox graphic card development, and are trying to monopolize the graphics card industry as well. This isn't a conspiracy, because they make it so blatantly obvious that this whole benchmark fiasco is another way to sit back and start laughing as the money rolls in.

My suggestion? Wait till the F'in game comes out. Who runs through a scene when playing a game and starts to cry because the bricked wall isn't bumpmapped?!

dont u listen to what i say? The dx9 and dx8 differences can't really be seen in these 2 measly screens. You gotta wait for a video comparison or something else. I bet there will be a bigger difference, but i might be wrong. MY point is dont make decisions on these 2 shots.

I am not buying graphic card for one game.

its for
max payn2
halo
HL2
D3
S.O.L
Quake4
GTA4
and many more.

except most of those games arn't even coming out till next year, When the DX10 cards will be released, whether some of those games are even using full DX9 capabilities has yet to be told, so you are all rushing out and spending money on cards for games you don't even know will be using DX9, the only one of which is confirmed and has had detailed info released about how it will use DX 9 is HL2.

I didn't buy a radeon to have 5% better looking water. I bought it to get playable fps ~~

Something you seem to overlook :x

What is your current video card though? I just personally think its a waste to ditch your GFfx just because of a media stunt from ATI.

And plus, half of those games aren't even coming out this year, Gorgon. When the Doom3 benchmark comes out, and everyone is told to buy X videocard because it's the better one... will you rush out and buy that one too?

This thing is like sports atheletes promoting deodorant...

subs: No I don't listen to what you say. I read everyone's opinion and then read the facts, and from that, I build one of my own. Not trying to insult you or anything, but what makes you think I NEED to listen to you?

Playable FPS is a good reason to get a new video card... this is not what this discussion is about tho. nVidia cards have a playable framerate. If they didn't, Valve would have to go back to the drawing board and make some changes or cut half of their target audience in half pretty much.

Infact all truth be told there isn't that a much a performence boost as FPS goes between DX8 and DX9 cards as the DX9 have to perform more operations.

mortize,
yes you r correct, but

i am not going to wait till october or december 04 for d10 cards.

the only games that will come in that time is q4 and gta4 and maybe 2005 the release of them.

so dx9 will alow you to play d3, s.o.l, hl2 and others.

Originally posted by Heleos

uh acutally most people would shop at say "futureshop" and they usuaully overcharge but no were near 800 dollars

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...&sku_id=0665000FS10029487&catid=&newdeptid=18

any one that shops at a "mom and pop corner store" deserves to get robbed, and that store deserves to get burnt down for not following the MSRP

Originally posted by damptraktor
I didn't buy a radeon to have 5% better looking water. I bought it to get playable fps ~~

yah lol. This card never goes under 40 fps in any of the hl2 bencmarks. Really fast even in the huge open evironments w/ fsaa and af on.

Originally posted by damptraktor

Exactly, this is precisely why I bought a R9800 : )

Originally posted by crabcakes66
/me points at someone who spent 500$ on a 5900ultra..

HAH, i actually have a 9700pro, if I have anything to point out about how well HL2 runs on my machine I will be looking at FPS in quality graphics mode. I wont be squinting at the screen comparing it to someone running on a geforce going "LOOK....its slightly brighter...and errrr....clearer on mine!!!!"

Originally posted by mikesux
HAH, i actually have a 9700pro, if I have anything to point out about how well HL2 runs on my machine I will be looking at FPS in quality graphics mode. I wont be squinting at the screen comparing it to someone running on a geforce going "LOOK....its slightly brighter...and errrr....clearer on mine!!!!"

Thanks for bumping the thread

Who said we won't get that shiny penis alien lik ein the tech demo on dx 8 cards?

cause we well, not as good perhaps, but dx8.1 cards can do that bump mapping.

Back