Do you believe in aliens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The probability that there are other lifeforms on a different planet is greater than the probability that there are not other lifeforms on a different planet. You have hundreds of trillions of galaxies, for each galaxy you have maybe a hundred trillion stars, for each star you could have 10 planets, with each planet averaging maybe 5 to 10 moons.

Thats an insane amount of chance that at least bacteria could be on at least two of those planets.

Is there intelligent life out there? I don't know.
Is there probably intelligent life out there? I'd think so.

Meh, Fermi's Paradox balances Drake's Equation pretty well imo.

Skeptical until I see evidence. A probability is simply that.

Cole, hate to break it to you, but those numbers are completely wrong. Galaxies range in size from a couple of million stars to around a trillion, and there are around 100 billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Still huge numbers involved and extremely high chance of alien life. But don't just make up numbers for your argument, it's kind of silly.

100 billion galaxies.

A conservative average of 10 billion stars each.

A very conservative average of one planet per star.

That is pretty much an absolute bare minimum of 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets in the universe. The chances of ours being the only one to have sentient life, let alone life at all? Preposterously small!

*puffs on pipe*

So, wait a sec. I hope none of you guys who believe in aliens without evidence don't also slam theists for believing in god without evidence. That would just be ironic.

I take a similar agnostic stance on both. They probably exist, but I don't pretend to be certain.

Hehe anyway let's leave religion out of it actually, just couldn't help pointing out some possible irony there.
God without evidence? Are you cracked? Where do you suppose all THIS came from? Oh, the old "big bang" from nothing theory, aye? Everything just FELL together, now we have emotion, love, thought, gene codes, all from nothing! You don't even realize how crazy and far fetched THAT is. Soooo Gullible. LOL! First rule of science... "something can not come from nothing". Bank on it.

Think outside the box you have been put into, or maybe chose to go into. Either way, you have limited yourself. You could be a supercharged V-8 and instead you have chosen to be a lawnmower engine. :eek:)

100 billion galaxies.

A conservative average of 10 billion stars each.

A very conservative average of one planet per star.

That is pretty much an absolute bare minimum of 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets in the universe. The chances of ours being the only one to have sentient life, let alone life at all? Preposterously small!

*puffs on pipe*
That's still a large number. Besides, 100 billion galaxies? I doubt it.:p Try trillions. (at least) Just because additional galaxies haven't been discovered doesn't mean they don't exist.:p Plus, we are not certain about the probability of parallel/alternate universes with even more galaxies. (read my previous post just in case you haven't) Like I said a thousand times before, humans don't know as much as they think they know.:p

Personally I think ne and to a lesser extent fl in Drake's equation as he used it to be too high.

God without evidence? Are you cracked? Where do you suppose all THIS came from? Oh, the old "big bang" from nothing theory, aye? Everything just FELL together, now we have emotion, love, thought, gene codes, all from nothing! You don't even realize how crazy and far fetched THAT is. Soooo Gullible. LOL! First rule of science... "something can not come from nothing". Bank on it.

Think outside the box you have been put into, or maybe chose to go into. Either way, you have limited yourself. You could be a supercharged V-8 and instead you have chosen to be a lawnmower engine. :eek:)
Where do you suppose God came from?
He can't come from nothing, thats a rule of science.

If god comes from nothing.
The universe comes from god.
Occams Razor would dictate that the simplist version of that would be, The Universe came from nothing.

God doesn't hold up no matter how you look at it.

(Example, in math 0 + 50 = 50. Occams Razor aka Simplifying, 50 = 50).

Depends on your view of the infinite regression of causes.

Occams Razor would dictate that the simplist version of that would be, The Universe came from nothing.

Occam's Razor is not a test of whether something is true or not. It's a way of logical thinking.
"All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best." - best, not necessarily correct. There are thousands of examples in biology alone of it being untrue... e.g. every single biological pathway :p

Maybe he exists in a universe where our logic will not work? Hell, 2 + 2 could = 5 for all we know in some other plane of existence. Let's wait until we have the technological means to do some alternate universe hopping before we start jumping to conclusions kay?;) AND, like I said, Humans don't know as much as they think they know,Humans don't know as much as they think they knowHumans don't know as much as they think they knowHumans don't know as much as they think they knowHumans don't know as much as they think they knowHumans don't know as much as they think they knowHumans don't know as much as they think they know:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I do bank on it. God is even more flabbergastingly wonderous than humanity - and I can't believe he just came from nothing. Our existence and the complexity of life do nothing to support God's existence, because if this is all too amazing to have just happened randomly, God had to have made it - and thus be even more amazing than his product, and also therefore even less likely to just come out of nowhere. See my point? Something can't come from nothing - where'd God come from?

It's more sensible to merely accept the facts of existence and not try to make yourself feel better by throwing God into the equation. There is no God. I'm sorry to break it to you. Also, don't deign to presume what I do and do not realize about how intensely beautiful and amazingly complex life is, because you really just don't know at all what I think, do you?

What are you telling me that for? I already said I'm agnostic -.- (to saturos)

I do bank on it. God is even more flabbergastingly wonderous than humanity - and I can't believe he just came from nothing. Our existence and the complexity of life do nothing to support God's existence, because if this is all too amazing to have just happened randomly, God had to have made it - and thus be even more amazing than his product, and also therefore even less likely to just come out of nowhere. See my point? Something can't come from nothing - where'd God come from?
Where did the big bang come from? ;)
It's all about one's view on infinite regression of causes imo /shrug

Humans don't know as much as they think they know.:p Come on now. This is getting ridiculous.:LOL:

Yeah, but presented with physical evidence that the universe exists, I'm way more willing to accept the Big Bang and the fact that existence exists than I am to accept God, which clearly isn't a necessary or logical step in the process anyway.

Humans don't know as much as they think they know.:p Come on now. This is getting ridiculous.:LOL:

Yes you're a broken record. We heard you the first 20 times repeating it another 20 doesn't contribute anything new.

Like, die?

I do believe in God, But I also understand the Big Bang theory. Part of it, which I now understand [but still don't accept] is this:
Something did not come from nothing. Theorists believe that there was another universe before our own, and that it contracted [as they think this universe MIGHT], and brought everything into one point. Everything else was pure nothingness. black holes sucked each other up, it was complete chaos. Eventually, the pressure was so much that everything condensed, and all the heavier materials were condensed -through fission- into Hydrogen, Helium and Lithium. And so, the universe was born. Perhaps there is an endless cycle? But this does still not answer how everything first came to be.
Thar.

I believe me being a Christian is already a well-known fact.

But we like Ace.
Funny that. My impression was that atheists around here would probably be all over forum newbs like rabid wolves if they admit to being Christian. I'm glad Ace is accepted then. Though he isn't a newb.

Our view on life is so narrow. I believe there is life out there in forms that we can't conceive.

I believe in aliens the same way I believe in god.

Sure, I guess... but I don't really give a ****.

Yes I do, but they're probably millions of galaxies away enough to be considered inexistent.

Funny that. My impression was that atheists around here would probably be all over forum newbs like rabid wolves if they admit to being Christian. I'm glad Ace is accepted then. Though he isn't a newb.

Thank you.

The Integrated Data Sentient Entity is introduced in the potential for auto-evolution...

Occam's Razor is not a test of whether something is true or not. It's a way of logical thinking.
"All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best." - best, not necessarily correct. There are thousands of examples in biology alone of it being untrue... e.g. every single biological pathway
Nor did I use it as a way to see what is correct, I used it as a way of simplifying logic. Occam's Razor is a way of simplifying and getting rid of unnessary assumptions. Furthermore I am not saying that I believe the Universe has existed forever and ever because I have no idea. I'm was simplifying a piece of logic and getting rid of an unnessary entity in the logic.

It is often taken way out of context, and it is not just All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best.
A better expalnation of Occam's Razor is this:
The principle states that the explanation of any phenomenon should make as few assumptions as possible, eliminating those that make no difference in the observable predictions of the explanatory hypothesis or theory.

In other words, Simplifying the theory as much as possible.
0 + (50^1)/(1.0000000000000000000) = 50 says the same thing as 50 = 50. Sure they both mean the same thing. Sure we could write the same thing. The point i'm trying to make is that saying God just exists and created the universe could also be said as, The Universe Just Exists. That statement just gets rid of God, who is a constant and adds nothing to the end result, aka adding 0.

Maybe he exists in a universe where our logic will not work? Hell, 2 + 2 could = 5 for all we know in some other plane of existence. Let's wait until we have the technological means to do some alternate universe hopping before we start jumping to conclusions kay?
Then who created the universe he exists in where out logic does not work?

There is no "believing" imo, it's just that there's a ton of stuff out there and there's probably some other life out there due to the sheer numbers.

I don't believe there are aliens out there which have space faring capabilities, no.

the reason we dont see them is because they took one look at us and said "they need a few million years"....

so when we reach a point as a species where mothers arent throwing their babies in dumpsters, maybe they will come and visit and invite is to experience the gallactic empire that has been prospering for millions of years.

It's more sensible to merely accept the facts of existence and not try to make yourself feel better by throwing God into the equation. There is no God. I'm sorry to break it to you. Also, don't deign to presume what I do and do not realize about how intensely beautiful and amazingly complex life is, because you really just don't know at all what I think, do you?
OBVIOUSLY, you do have the blinders on. Sorry about that. I could tell you I know God is there, and exactly HOW I know it, but your mind is made up and you wouldn't hear of it anyways. I will say this though, God's home is NOT in this dimension, his dimension has no "time and space" as we know it. God says he has ALWAYS existed, but the human mind cannot concieve that in our limited physical universe of time and space where things MUST have a start and an end, and our limited teensy weensy brains (yes, you have one too Mr. Moderator). He created this physical universe and us who he put in it. Furthermore, your belief, or unbelief in him does not change a thing about his actual existance, in the same way if you step in front of a fast moving train, your belief or unbelief in that train will not change the outcome. I'll also say that one day, sooner or later, (was sooner for me) you and everyone else will meet him, GUARANTEED. Something else for you to bank on. :eek:)

I believe me being a Christian is already a well-known fact.
Excellent. Never leave that Ace. I went through far too many years of hell and stupidity before I was awakened, thought I was so smart too. I was an Atheist for nearly 34 years. Now I'm starting to admit my age, that's baaaaddd. LOL!

I'll also say that one day, sooner or later, (was sooner for me) you and everyone else will meet him, GUARANTEED.

Well I hope so, then I could tell him to go screw himself.:sleep:

I believe in aliens the same way I believe in god.

Sure, I guess... but I don't really give a ****.

This echoes my deepest of emotions on this highly delicate matter.

Fecal matter, that is.

Also, shouldn't there be some degree of vision higher than that of macroscopic vision? I mean there's tons of shit we couldn't even see when presented just a few feet apart.

Well I hope so, then I could tell him to go screw himself.:sleep:
You could if you wanted to, but I think you will be quite speechless at the occasion. And after you did (if you did), you will not like where you will be. Everything is just hunky dory where you are sitting at now, you got all the answers, but in the blink of an eye things can change so drastically as to blow you clean away and change your whole outlook on everything. Been there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back