Do you believe in aliens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And now Hitler.

HL2.net: Proving Godwin Correct.

rofl, so true.

ON the original topic, though, YES, I believe in aliens...it's silly to think otherwise. We have this billion light years large *possibly larger* universe ALL to ourself? Such selfish thinking.

Atheism, in my book, is as much of a religon as any other. You just don't want to accept that fact since, in your eyes, this will bring you to a lower level.

[/rant]

Woah.... i leave this thread for a few days an it turns into another sodding religion thread.... so many people on both sides making baseless claims and in the process taking this thread WAY of topic. Once again i find myself having to defend the position of atheists against religious people who think of atheism as a religion. ITS NOT! Its a complete LACK of religion! If you want to see our point of view then the best way to explain our position is thus...

Do you as a believer in god also believe in Santa Claus, fairies, the Loch Ness monster or the easter bunny?? I'm guessing you don't... Now would you describe your non belief in Santa Claus, fairies, the Loch Ness monster or the easter bunny as each being a religion???

I think every one of you are retarded.
No one knows exactly how this Earth came to be, and no one will know.
Sure, we don't "know" how the universe came to exist. But we have very good data and evidence to predict how the universe probably came came exist. This is far more true of planet Earth than the universe itself, but you get the picture.

Science works based on deductions, which themselves are based on evidence. We don't have to observe something directly to have a good idea of how it works, so long as there is enough evidence of the event after the fact.

We all think we know the answer, when we don't. Atheism, in my book, is as much of a religon as any other. You just don't want to accept that fact since, in your eyes, this will bring you to a lower level. "I'm an atheist", oh wow, does that make you cool now or something? Everyone likes you now!
Unfortunately for you, atheism is not a religion. It's not that I "don't want to accept that fact", its just that logically atheism is defined as lacking a belief in a god. That's not a religion as much as preferring not to participate in sports is not a sport. Coming out as an atheist actually has brought a lot of suffering to my life. I am persecuted by my peers, despised by my parents, looked down upon by every Christian I meet. I didn't choose this path because I thought it would make me cool, or well liked, I chose it because it is what I reasoned to be true. To me, knowing the truth is far more important than being happy.

The fact that we're fighting over these petty differences just cements the fact that humanity is stupid, and we really don't deserve to live at all. We should be working toward a more environmentalist approach, trying to solve problems with the economy, and banding together, despite our differences in religon or viewpoints. The same is for Republicans and Democrats, both sides think the other is stupid and have the wrong choice, but in truth they are both wrong, and that our country should be one unified political party, which was what Hitler dreamed for Germany [before he went crazy.].

Political parties ensure a majority vote in every election. They also help voters clarify positions and choose, ideologically, the party they find is best. Parties allow for political action whereas non-partisan politicians would be far more disorganized. The political parties in this country are actually far more centrist and alike than you might think, and the partisan wars are over far less radical issues than they might be in say, The Russian Federation. The fact of the matter is, people have different positions in life, and desire different actions from the government. There will always be political parties where differences in society are present, since people tend to maximize their own goals and agendas when voting.

A one party system is a horrible alternative. Consider the communists, the Nazis, or any of the scores of military police states which have existed. In a one party system, there is no dissent, no minority, only absolute power by one organized unit. And that unit might not always do what is best for the country.

Atheists are not completely right. Religons are not completely right, though both sides do think they are right.

Obviously atheists and people who hold a particular religion can only be right or wrong when it comes to god-belief. If a god exists, the atheist is wrong. If a particular god does not exist, the follower of that religion is wrong. There is no grey area. A particular god cannot "sort of" exist. This is why the argument is so polarized.

Let's do a thought experiment. Billy says to Mary ,Jimmy and Tom that a dime is on top of a cabinet which none of them can reach. When Mary asks Billy how he knows this, Billy says he "just feels it" in his heart. Mary says she doesn't believe there is a dime up there, lacking any evidence. Jimmy says "stop arguing! You're both just as wrong, neither of you is completely right at all."

Meanwhile, Tom solves the problem by getting a ladder, going up to the top of the cabinet, and proclaiming that he can see a dime up there.

Obviously, Billy was right, Mary was wrong, and Jimmy was just plain stupid.

We're talking about the existence of entities here. Entities either exist or they do not.

It's the same for you America-hating Europeans, you think that America sucks, even though you don't know how our culture works, or because you genreliseus all to be fat, stupid people. We wuodn't be able to ably run a country if we were such, and England would have been able to take over any time they wished, but that fact isn't true, and we're a strong country.

Nationalism, much?

Look, people generalize Americans because we really do have problems like obesity, brazen politics, and shitty foreign policy. Perhaps instead of whining about people making fun of us, we should fix those problems.

As for "being able to take over whenever they want," I'm pretty sure they're joking. :p

^ I'm with Willie. You guys are being idiots. The lot of you.:p Stay on topic and talk about aliens for crying out loud.:p Take this religion debate to the "politics" ghetto.

^ I'm with Willie. You guys are being idiots. The lot of you.:p Stay on topic and talk about aliens for crying out loud.:p
OK, so, will they look human, or just bacteria/virus like?
what do you think, friendly, or deadly?

LOL, that alien's been watching too much cartoons, hiding behind a lamp post... :LOL:

No you idiot, don't you understand? Don't you see?!

WE ARE THE ARIENS! D: ARIENS SAPPIN' OUR URETHRII/UTERII!
I guess that your technically right, to another life form on another planet, we are aliens.

I can't seem to find a link, but didn't NASA find some bacteria on Mars, or was that a hoax?

(goes to try find some link)

OK, so, will they look human, or just bacteria/virus like?
what do you think, friendly, or deadly?
A little of everything I guess. That's like saying what "insects" are like. Well, what kind of insects? I do agree with what most others are saying though. I do believe in the possibility of sentient life, but I doubt we'll ever come in contact. BTW:I see you took my advice and grabbed yourself a crossbow avatar yes? :)

Sure, we don't "know" how the universe came to exist. But we have very good data and evidence to predict how the universe probably came came exist. This is far more true of planet Earth than the universe itself, but you get the picture.

Science works based on deductions, which themselves are based on evidence. We don't have to observe something directly to have a good idea of how it works, so long as there is enough evidence of the event after the fact.

Unfortunately for you, atheism is not a religion. It's not that I "don't want to accept that fact", its just that logically atheism is defined as lacking a belief in a god. That's not a religion as much as preferring not to participate in sports is not a sport. Coming out as an atheist actually has brought a lot of suffering to my life. I am persecuted by my peers, despised by my parents, looked down upon by every Christian I meet. I didn't choose this path because I thought it would make me cool, or well liked, I chose it because it is what I reasoned to be true. To me, knowing the truth is far more important than being happy.

Political parties ensure a majority vote in every election. They also help voters clarify positions and choose, ideologically, the party they find is best. Parties allow for political action whereas non-partisan politicians would be far more disorganized. The political parties in this country are actually far more centrist and alike than you might think, and the partisan wars are over far less radical issues than they might be in say, The Russian Federation. The fact of the matter is, people have different positions in life, and desire different actions from the government. There will always be political parties where differences in society are present, since people tend to maximize their own goals and agendas when voting.

A one party system is a horrible alternative. Consider the communists, the Nazis, or any of the scores of military police states which have existed. In a one party system, there is no dissent, no minority, only absolute power by one organized unit. And that unit might not always do what is best for the country.

Obviously atheists and people who hold a particular religion can only be right or wrong when it comes to god-belief. If a god exists, the atheist is wrong. If a particular god does not exist, the follower of that religion is wrong. There is no grey area. A particular god cannot "sort of" exist. This is why the argument is so polarized.

Let's do a thought experiment. Billy says to Mary ,Jimmy and Tom that a dime is on top of a cabinet which none of them can reach. When Mary asks Billy how he knows this, Billy says he "just feels it" in his heart. Mary says she doesn't believe there is a dime up there, lacking any evidence. Jimmy says "stop arguing! You're both just as wrong, neither of you is completely right at all."

Meanwhile, Tom solves the problem by getting a ladder, going up to the top of the cabinet, and proclaiming that he can see a dime up there.

Obviously, Billy was right, Mary was wrong, and Jimmy was just plain stupid.

We're talking about the existence of entities here. Entities either exist or they do not.

Nationalism, much?

Look, people generalize Americans because we really do have problems like obesity, brazen politics, and shitty foreign policy. Perhaps instead of whining about people making fun of us, we should fix those problems.

As for "being able to take over whenever they want," I'm pretty sure they're joking. :p
Hey, theotherguy. I never meant to come off as "high and mighty" and all knowing like some of the accusations flying around here. I'm simply trying to tell you what I have learned in the last 23 years (since my rude awakening) about God, and how I know him to be. I see that it is actually pretty hard to communicate that. My advice, if you are open and "seeking" like you say you are, open your heart and read the Bible, things will happen. It's not a brain washing tool, its a heart opening tool, and God comes in through the heart, and gets into your head. You will truly find the truth. If a hard case like me can find it, anyone can find it. I'm a Viet-Nam era war Vet, I was meaner then hell when I came home, nobody was going to tell ME anything about any God. It took quite a few years just to get rid of the chip on my shouder. You seem like a pretty darned bright guy, miles ahead of where I was back then. However, that sometimes can be detrimental to the opening of the heart, sorta gets in the way. I think you will figure this out.

You can start with the book of John, 3:16 thru 21, and work from there. You can do this!

Now, I'm going to drop out of this thread, a little too much negative vibes here for me. :eek:)

However, if you wanted to email me sometime with any questions or discussions, feel free. I'm not so high and mighty, really. I've just been around awhile, and I'm still pretty rough around the edges.

Take care!

OK guys, seriously. Thread title = "Do you believe in aliens?"

NOT

"God talk, lets argue!"

Post some pictures of some mother ****ing aliens, now, or so help me ET, I'm gonna whoop some ass.

Post some pictures of some mother ****ing aliens, now, or so help me ET, I'm gonna whoop some ass.

OK
aliens.jpg

alien-555.jpg

aliens3.jpg

Viet-Nam era war Vet
I salute you

You can start with the book of John, 3:16 thru 21, and work from there. You can do this!
Atheists will only tell you the Bible was written by man. How can you really convince them otherwise?

Now, I'm going to drop out of this thread, a little too much negative vibes here for me. :eek:)
That might be a good idea.;) You don't seem like a bad guy. You just have to be careful how you stand around here.

However, if you wanted to email me sometime with any questions or discussions, feel free. I'm not so high and mighty, really. I've just been around awhile, and I'm still pretty rough around the edges.

Take care!
A much wiser approach than posting religious stuff in the public forums. Yeah, nobody's perfect, like you said. I dislike the types that pretend to know everything, and if something is obviously inconclusive, they dismiss it as a fact that it doesn't exist.(i.e. there's no evidence to prove, so it must not exist) So annoying.:p Why can't they just say, "I don't know"?. Is it that hard? P.S.>Sorry guys, now back to the aliens. Yes I do believe they exist. Next question.

No one knows exactly how this Earth came to be, and no one will know. We all think we know the answer, when we don't. Atheism, in my book, is as much of a religon as any other. You just don't want to accept that fact since, in your eyes, this will bring you to a lower level. "I'm an atheist", oh wow, does that make you cool now or something? Everyone likes you now! The fact that we're fighting over these petty differences just cements the fact that humanity is stupid, and we really don't deserve to live at all. We should be working toward a more environmentalist approach, trying to solve problems with the economy, and banding together, despite our differences in religon or viewpoints. The same is for Republicans and Democrats, both sides think the other is stupid and have the wrong choice, but in truth they are both wrong, and that our country should be one unified political party, which was what Hitler dreamed for Germany [before he went crazy.]. Atheists are not completely right. Religons are not completely right, though both sides do think they are right. It's the same for you America-hating Europeans, you think that America sucks, even though you don't know how our culture works, or because you genreliseus all to be fat, stupid people. We wuodn't be able to ably run a country if we were such, and England would have been able to take over any time they wished, but that fact isn't true, and we're a strong country.
How come you think every atheist is a strong atheist. I do not know how the universe came to be. Thats why I lack the belief in a god, and therefor I am an atheist. Lacking the belief in god is not saying god doesn't exist. You are just as bad as any strong atheist for believing in a god.

I also don't see how you can say atheism is a religion. A religion is a set of beliefs. Weak Atheism and the literal definition of an "Atheist" is without belief. Is "Not Being a Carpenter" a job? No. Is not holding a set of beliefs a religion? No.

Hey, theotherguy. I never meant to come off as "high and mighty" and all knowing like some of the accusations flying around here. I'm simply trying to tell you what I have learned in the last 23 years (since my rude awakening) about God, and how I know him to be. I see that it is actually pretty hard to communicate that. My advice, if you are open and "seeking" like you say you are, open your heart and read the Bible, things will happen. It's not a brain washing tool, its a heart opening tool, and God comes in through the heart, and gets into your head. You will truly find the truth. If a hard case like me can find it, anyone can find it. I'm a Viet-Nam era war Vet, I was meaner then hell when I came home, nobody was going to tell ME anything about any God. It took quite a few years just to get rid of the chip on my shouder. You seem like a pretty darned bright guy, miles ahead of where I was back then. However, that sometimes can be detrimental to the opening of the heart, sorta gets in the way. I think you will figure this out.

Take care!

I did read the bible.

I read every last page.

I was raised in a fundamentalist Christian household, so don't think I've not studied the Bible.

And the more I looked at it, the more I saw it as garbage.

Hot.
Back on topic, who else thinks that Europa has a better chance of having life on it than Mars?! :D

I think so too.

Europa has underground oceans and geothermal heat to sustain possible life, while Mars has very little watter, and extreme temperatures.

Hot.
Back on topic, who else thinks that Europa has a better chance of having life on it than Mars?! :D

Mars may have had life once upon a time, but I doubt it does now. Europa on the other hand is very likely. :D

No one knows exactly how this Earth came to be, and no one will know.

Of course we don't.

We all think we know the answer, when we don't.

Don't tell me what I think please.

Atheism, in my book, is as much of a religon as any other. You just don't want to accept that fact since, in your eyes, this will bring you to a lower level.

Funny, because last time I checked athiesm isn't the memetic perputuation of a diety or dieties. This is all about you being unable to comprehend that someone can be non-religious.

"I'm an atheist", oh wow, does that make you cool now or something? Everyone likes you now!

Actually, the opposite is true. Atheists are the most mistrusting minority in USA/

The fact that we're fighting over these petty differences just cements the fact that humanity is stupid, and we really don't deserve to live at all. We should be working toward a more environmentalist approach, trying to solve problems with the economy, and banding together, despite our differences in religon or viewpoints.

I agree, but unfortuantly the world isn't perfect.

The same is for Republicans and Democrats, both sides think the other is stupid and have the wrong choice, but in truth they are both wrong, and that our country should be one unified political party, which was what Hitler dreamed for Germany [before he went crazy.].

Are you off your nut?

Atheists are not completely right. Religons are not completely right, though both sides do think they are right.

Speaking for myself, I think I am right because the only evidence for god is subjective experiances that can be triggered with the right drugs.

It's the same for you America-hating Europeans, you think that America sucks, even though you don't know how our culture works, or because you genreliseus all to be fat, stupid people.

Nobody has mentioned America...

We wuodn't be able to ably run a country if we were such, and England would have been able to take over any time they wished, but that fact isn't true, and we're a strong country.

Why the **** would England want to conquer america?

If we're really set on squabbling incessantly instead of getting back on topic now that the loyal, enlightened Jesus-crusader has withdrawn, the thread doesn't really merit remaining open now does it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back