Votes: 65 37.6%
  • Only at certain moments

Votes: 60 34.7%
  • No

Votes: 17 9.8%
  • Pie! Pie!!!!!

Votes: 31 17.9%

• Total voters
I thought it was kinda sick having to chainsaw my way through about 20 of those flying-baby things because I was seriously low on ammo.

They even sound like real babies... I think ID stepped over the line with this one. Killing zombies and demons is one thing, but when they make them look and sound like babies it's just not right.

I can see it now.

Daily Mail :
Doom 3 endorses the slaughter of Babies! Ban this sick filth!

(Posted in another thred...although this thread seems more appropriate for it)

I actually almost just shat myself playing Doom 3. I always thought the game paused when reading PDA's.....I was wrong. I was listening to an audio log and was a little on edge because the dude was talking about satanic voices when suddenly the audio cuts out and the entire PDA jerks forward! I almost fell out of my chair before spinning around and blowing the brain out the back of a zombie's head.

I love this game.

Simple answer: F*ck yes.

EDIT: The game doesn't pause when I hit PDA? Oh no. The only way to calm myself is to hit Esc. :(

SubKamran said:
Simple answer: F*ck yes.

EDIT: The game doesn't pause when I hit PDA? Oh no. The only way to calm myself is to hit Esc. :(
Nope, it doesn't. I always make sure there are no monsters when I turn the PDA on.

Man, this game is just totally messing my head up, its hella f'ckin scary and anyone that does'nt feel a little bit scared of the game when playing it is just weird. The atmosphere rules and i dunno about you but i cant help but feel as if im actually there...i get sucked into the game and it really freaks me out alot of the times. I do have a pretty good imagination though which helps you to feel more involved i reckon. Everyone that does'nt get scared probably dont even know what an imagination is.

omg!
i was just playing it right now.. looking for that missing scientist.. and all of a sudden the lights go off :eek:

needlesstosay i ran back into the previous room :LOL:
anyway im a bit tired tonight.. had a long day.. imma start playing the game more seriously starting tomorrow.. :)

Dr. Freeman said:
omg!
i was just playing it right now.. looking for that missing scientist.. and all of a sudden the lights go off

needlesstosay i ran back into the previous room
anyway im a bit tired tonight.. had a long day.. imma start playing the game more seriously starting tomorrow..

Yeah, Doom3 is the first game that actually made me turn and run away into the safety of the room i'd just come from. The funny thing is that I was usually running away from an enemy I hadn't even seen.

The cruel parts are the ones where they lock the door as you walk through it, so you've got nowhere to run to... and you're left in the darkness with the sounds all around you.

10/10 for scare factor, but i've completed it and I have to say.. Where the hell was the Pain Elemental and Spider Mastermind???!!!

The Pain Elemental was a giant sac-o-crap. No fun fighting unlimited lost souls.

I do miss the Mastermind, the Arachnotrons and most importantly the Baron of Hell.

hell yeah it scares me. the infamous mirror scene almost killed me literally, it made me jerk my leg so hard if my desk hadnt been there my knee probably would have gone straight through my head.

the part where you walk around a corner, and a corpse falls from the ceiling and hangs from it scared me too, and the other one of the guy stapled to the ceiling (before a boss) and moaning... baahh.

also, when you go through the test chambers.. and you listen to the guy talking about the zombie guy and it jerks against the cage.

i have so much smg ammo though that i find myself unloading on everything that moves, only to find out they were shadows.

i find myself just using the chainsaw now, because im such a pussy that i dont even bother looking in rooms first because i know ill cry, so i just charge in to get it over with.

this game rocks. actually no it doesnt. the multiplayer is stupid. i think the engine is what this game really brings to pc gaming.

I've seen concept art for a new Spider Mastermind... maybe they decided not to put him in, or maybe... expansion pack?

So far i haven't been scared by the game, its really getting quite repetitive and boring and i don't think i can be stuffed playing the game any longer. I'm up tooooo......well i'm going to the monorail to meet up with Swann

Are some people getting lobotomies or something before they play? I have trouble believing that they've totally desensitized themselves to the most basic of human emotions.

To tell you the truth, the game gets less scary as it goes along. The beginning is great, but eventually you know something is going to happen in a room. Always does especially around items.

Of course, I haven't gotten to Hell yet. I expect that will be scary.

Alig said:
Man, this game is just totally messing my head up, its hella f'ckin scary and anyone that does'nt feel a little bit scared of the game when playing it is just weird. The atmosphere rules and i dunno about you but i cant help but feel as if im actually there...i get sucked into the game and it really freaks me out alot of the times. I do have a pretty good imagination though which helps you to feel more involved i reckon. Everyone that does'nt get scared probably dont even know what an imagination is.

Anyone who says they're not scared is lieing...

Listening to all those audio logs, and there's a computer in one of of the infirmaries talking about the mutilation and stuff going, it scares the hell out of you, and then hearing them talk about putting someone in containment, and then actually seeing them in there banging on the door to get out (at this point they're zombies) really adds to the scare factor.

not at all, one part made me jump early in the game.. but it was more because my sound was cranked to "footsteps will blow out your inner-ear drum".

IM reaaaaalllllly trying to let this game scare me, honest I set everything up and get into it as much as possible.. I love FPS horror games...

but honestly it just doesnt set the tone.. I read all the emails, listen to the logs I take my time... it just ugh
its dissapointing

the sound design is incredible, however
a lot of things loop in areas, and once you start to notice it.. it really pulls you outta the game

:/

ShadowFox said:
To tell you the truth, the game gets less scary as it goes along. The beginning is great, but eventually you know something is going to happen in a room. Always does especially around items.

Of course, I haven't gotten to Hell yet. I expect that will be scary.
The Hell part is DAMN scary. You won't be dissappointed. :)

Baal said:
Anyone who says they're not scared is lieing...

Listening to all those audio logs, and there's a computer in one of of the infirmaries talking about the mutilation and stuff going, it scares the hell out of you, and then hearing them talk about putting someone in containment, and then actually seeing them in there banging on the door to get out (at this point they're zombies) really adds to the scare factor.

I'm not scared, the exact same thing happens in System Shock 2 except it keeps developing the characters and they're descent into madness and conversion into One of the Many. Its alot scarier then Doom 3

Yes, System Shock 2 was a lot scarier. All the ghost scenes that suddenly pop out of nowhere when you're not expecting them, and Shodan's (and The Many's) random speech that just fills the entire level...

babies (babies) <babies> [babies] must rest, babies must sleep. Wise is the one who does not awaken them. Leave this place now, or we shall wound you as you have us.

Multiple brackets to simulate the multiple sound sources (voices and directions it's coming from).

I particulary like that one scene on Deck 4 when you meet Dr Polito

I've finished the game - and honestly nothing scared me. In the first few hours I'd jump in my seat once in a while, when a zombie hit me from the back and I'm like "WTF!". But eventually, I got used to the typical "zombie in front room - imp spawning behind the door and some monster behind me" routine, if only id had done a slightly different approach to this. :(

I think as someone else said on another forum, there needs to be more voices and mysterious noises and then being attacked by an enemy. So you're certain nothing is behind you, nothing is behind you, nothing, while hearing all these noises, then all of a sudden there -is- something there. That'd be scary, a few times anyway.

I think Doom 3 loses a lot of it's shock tactics because there are simply so damn many imps that spawn in all the time, and always with similar formulas (when you pick up an item, or go around a corner, or get 3/4th of the way into a room).

One part I did enjoy a lot, although it wasn't really scary, was the 3rd "follow a light-source through a pitch black hallway" scene, in the demon museum with the imp in the canister. That was just such a clever and fun idea, I think, because unlike the first 2 times, you had to run to catch up to the light or you'd be left in darkness, it didn't stop and wait for you.

One fun thing to do is with the chainsaw, as soon as you seen something start to spawn, sprint up to it and use the chainsaw on it, you can kill them before they have a chance to do anything to you. I killed a couple of archviles that way. Doesn't work on Hell Knights though :p

Anyone notice the invisible creature with the glowing eyes, in that bit directly after you come out of that elevator (or maybe it was an air lock)?

Invisible creature with the glowing eyes? umm.....no i don't think i know what you're talking about, unless you're talking about Father, who bursts through the door at one stage and speaks Arameic then disappears back into the door

Lanthanide said:
One fun thing to do is with the chainsaw, as soon as you seen something start to spawn, sprint up to it and use the chainsaw on it, you can kill them before they have a chance to do anything to you. I killed a couple of archviles that way. Doesn't work on Hell Knights though :p

I remember once i was in a corridor and the lights went out and the room started lighting up with evil symbols and shit, So i knew something was bound to spawn so i just ran up and down the corridor with the chainsaw

Killed 3 Imp's, 4 Zombies and a Pinky Demon

Quite useful that Chainsaw

getting scared while playing is also a diversion of having fun.

i thought that doom3 is created just to scare gamers.But doom3 is just created to scare the stinky shit out of gamers.

Thought that Doom3 doesn't have an interesting plot until i saw the doom3 final trailer.

These are the links of Doom3 final trailer(for those who have misse the trailer)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

ftp://67.18.70.2/Doom3/d3pcdownloadfinal.zip
ftp://200.75.0.224/juegos/doom3/videos/doom3trailer_final.zip

Enjoy !!!

Myth, there's a button called "edit" down in the right corner of your post. :)

Doom3 would have been hell scary, if ID software still had John Romero as the level designer.The way he placed monsters and lighting in Doom2 was really excellent.Frankly, i still enjoy playing Doom2 with 'z-doom' doom modification.(Eww!! that was awsome...)Does any one agree with me ???

CrazyHarij said:
Myth, there's a button called "edit" down in the right corner of your post. :)
CrazyHarij....I didn't get you.....

He means that you can edit your own post within 15 minutes, so you don't have to post again like you did :D

Sparta said:
I remember once i was in a corridor and the lights went out and the room started lighting up with evil symbols and shit, So i knew something was bound to spawn so i just ran up and down the corridor with the chainsaw

Killed 3 Imp's, 4 Zombies and a Pinky Demon

Quite useful that Chainsaw

not on the hard.. chainsaw is next to useless... however Jumping on top of a box, or ducking into a little hole will always outsmart the AI.

theres that one room where a bunch of those two headed guys spawn (like 15 of them) the door locks behind you and the lights flicker... well I had jumped on top of a box so that I could keep my back to the wall, and unload with my shotgun.... they all just ran around in front of me.. it looked like doom1 when you had a bunch of pinky demons wandering around that couldnt reach you.. looking all angry but not doing anything.

that was pathetic.

and then later I ducked down into a little hole in the wall (where a grate was loose) and two imps spawned behind me... but since they cant duck.. they simple walked around angrily ala doom1.. since they couldnt see me (it appears that if the head of the creature cant see you, the creature doesnt attack)

another pathetic scenario.
thats just so... so... doom1

Back