Doom 3 hardware guide

Yes I JUST orderd the parts for my new system (see my sig) but I had a ****in hell of a time finding a 6800 GT, but gameve.com has some XFX cards commin in tomorrow. The XFX cards are saposed to be great overclockers. . .

You might have some problem overclocking though when playing doom 3.

ShadowFox said:
Good to see my 9500 Pro will still be rockin when Doom 3 comes out.

Good job id! Carmack for president.

yep that's what I have (OC'ed) and was kinda worried. But looks good :)

lazicsavo said:
The 128MB cards will outperform the 256MB only because the 128MB don't load the 256MB textures.

NO, wrong. Your card doesnt dictate the settings you use! You go ingame and change it, if you have a 128 mb card you can go ingame and set the video settings on high and your game will run on high settings. Your 128 mb card will load all those good uncompressed textures but ir may run slower depeding on the 128 mb and 256 mb cards your comparing. Clockspeeds etc. make a lot of difference here.

The Terminator said:
NO, wrong. Your card doesnt dictate the settings you use! You go ingame and change it, if you have a 128 mb card you can go ingame and set the video settings on high and your game will run on high settings. Your 128 mb card will load all those good uncompressed textures but ir may run slower depeding on the 128 mb and 256 mb cards your comparing. Clockspeeds etc. make a lot of difference here.

If you go on HIGH and you have a 128MB card it will only load 128MB and use the your RAM to play with the other 128MB, and depending on your RAM this can slow down your computer seriuosly, whereas on a 256MB card no RAM is involved (although I'm not sure of that).

OK whatever, your changing your point. My point was that some 128 mb cards will outperform some 256 mb ones.

Yes, at the expanse of quality (more compressed textures), but let's stop this, DOOM 3 is finally coming out, it looks like I can play it on High with a very good frame rate and that's all tha matters.

Interesting. I asked Kyle Bennett ([H]) about the possibility of a HL2 guide, and he said he had contacted Valve about it and he hopes the feedback from this one will convince them to allow for such a thing.

Supposedly Source is very scalable and I would be very much interested seeing how the D3 guide turned out.

Ooohhh.. HL2 hardware guide would be AWESOME. Especially if they could do it relatively soon (now!) :)

Last I heard HL2 would need about 16 days to get all its bugs fixed it it doesnt run into and huge problems. (knowing valve it might take a month though) But that was about 5 days ago. So we might see a HL2 guide in 2-3 weeks maybee less.

blackeye said:
I cant wait to see this on action.

There is a demo of this on ATI's page. You like travel through a volcano and it shows of the heat haze effect.

See the problem with Doom 3 is that some people prefer more open space games (like FarCry and HL2); if ID did a game where they actually used the Doom 3 engine to develop a game with huge open spaces, then I would consider bying it. I'm not that impressed with tight corridors, no matter how greatly rendered. But it's just a matter of prefrence, no harm inteneded.

lazicsavo said:
See the problem with Doom 3 is that some people prefer more open space games (like FarCry and HL2); if ID did a game where they actually used the Doom 3 engine to develop a game with huge open spaces, then I would consider bying it. I'm not that impressed with tight corridors, no matter how greatly rendered. But it's just a matter of prefrence, no harm inteneded.

Go away and stop trolling.

I'm tired of you complaining about Doom 3. Why did you post a hardware question if you are not buying Doom 3?

blahblahblah said:
Go away and stop trolling.

I'm tired of you complaining about Doom 3. Why did you post a hardware question if you are not buying Doom 3?

Cause my brother is buying it and his CDs have a magical way of finding themselves in my CD-ROM :).

awsome, now I know exactly what I want.

I WANT ULTRA QUALITY

Gorgon said:
awsome, now I know exactly what I want.

I WANT ULTRA QUALITY

What for? It pretty much looks identical to High quality..

You are right shuzer,
do you think its worth getting 512mb cards in order to get (THE UQ) ?

what do you think of this: I am buying this next week (MAYBE)

AMD Athlon 64 3500 (Socket 939)
Asus A8V Deluxe (Socket 939) Wireless Edition OR Abit AV8 (Socket 939)
Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200LLPT TwinX CAS2
Asus ATI Radeon AX800 XT/TVD 256MB DDR3
Sony DRU-700A Dual Layer 8x DVD±RW
Sony DDU1612 DVD-ROM
OCZ PowerStream 520w Power Supply
Creative Inspire 7.1 TD7700 Speakers
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy LS
ThermalTAKE Xaser Case Series WinGo V8000A

total:£1600-£1900

Are the above COOL or not COOL ?

ID has made the best effort in the videogames story to bring good graphics to the mainstream market, there is no doubt. Low quality is really amazing if you compare with the low quality in other games, maybe because they needed to make good graphics in the xbox version.

I think this article it clearly says, there is no point at all to use the ultra high quality mode even if the 512mb were already in market. Can anyone tell me why ID made an ultra high quality mode like this? Can anyone take the fat zombie pic and say us what's the point? well, it's true that almost all the pics in the article are too bad jpg compressed... better if I wait to buy the game and see it with myself eyes.

Well my friend's getting a gig of ram so I get his dual channel 512, which will help me. Course I have to live with my 5200 until Christmas and that's a bad thing. I guess I'll be in low settings at 800x600. My processor and ram just aren't good enough to make up for my 5200.

Gorgon said:
what do you think of this: I am buying this next week (MAYBE)

Sony DDU1612 DVD-ROM

total:£1600-£1900

Are the above COOL or not COOL ?

At a glance it looks cool, but there is no way you are getting an X800XT before Doom 3 hits the streets. You will probably have to wait till end of September before you get one.

blahblahblah said:
At a glance it looks cool, but there is no way you are getting an X800XT before Doom 3 hits the streets. You will probably have to wait till end of September before you get one.

crap !!! :(

:(

Yeah, september sounds about right.
Compusa has currently ~4,000 X800XT PE cards on order (total for the entire company, as far as I know) but they list Sept 1st as the ship date. At least that's what the corporate guy said.
I'm guessing they have many orders already to fill. ;)

lazicsavo said:
the 126 9800PRO can only load the 126MB textures, and has to compress the 256MB and 512MB, but the 256MB 9800PRO can also load the 256MB, but I heard they are a bitch to run and can slow the card down, so that's why I wanted to see how they compare, but I think the 9800XT Pro 256XP is a good example of how the 9800 PRO 256 is going to behave.

Plus, don' forget they are using a 3.4CPU, and very few of us have a CPU above 3.0.

Please man, stop typing 126, its 128, sheesh.

I guess my x800 pro does'nt look so bad now they are'nt showing it getting 20 fps...I should still be able to play doom3 at high on 1280x1024 like they showed...yay! :E

amneziac85 said:
Please man, stop typing 126, its 128, sheesh.

I love constructive critisism; I'm writing these posts in 30s, I don't have time for grammar and proof-reading; i'm happy if people get what I say.

lazicsavo said:
I love constructive critisism; I'm writing these posts in 30s, I don't have time for grammar and proof-reading; i'm happy if people get what I say.
Why are you rushing your posts, guy?

JimmehH said:
Why are you rushing your posts, guy?

Many reasons, and it's not that I always rush them, but I do get annoyed at guys/girls that point out such nosensial mistakes as 126 instead of 128. Everybody knows what I mean so why do people feel it necessary to point it out other than to rub it it?
:flame:

ShadowFox said:
Besides.. 126 isn't a power of two.
I'm a math major :)

QUOTE:
Sony DDU1612 DVD-ROM

All that will smoke, but although I am a ATI fan, I went with a 6800GT because of availabity! Those speakers are decent, but I would spend the extra $$$ if I were you and get the Gigaworks S750's instead. I just heard them at a Cambridge soundworks store (In Cambridge Mass non the less) and they blew me away! ! ! If you just want that decoder, I would just pay the extra few dollars and buy the DDT100 seperately. But thats just me. . .

AAArgh(tripple A horror).

I'm stuck with a P1.5 and a ti4200 with 512MB of SDRAM. I hope I'll be able to play it. If not, I think I'll go loco.

AAArgh

/goes away screaming and holding head with both hands like a madman and both eyes staring at the sky

blackeye said:
I cant wait to see this on action.

What wonderful news, I can't wait to play doom3 networked. Who would've thought this a year ago?? Great job on optimising the game ID.

Btw Heat effects were present in FarCry. I believe that's the same effect they're talking about.

Nice to see that there isn't really a major difference between High Quality and Ultra High Quality. LoL I tried to see some differences between high and ultra high .... I hardly can see them, infact I can't see any small differences when I try to compare those screenshots.

:)

Yeah heat haze effects was in farcry, they look sweet but was few and far between in FC..probably not in D3 if they are talking about them alot and certainly FC didnt have them on fire (or fireballs the Imps fire)

Back