doom3 on ati 9600

Reaction score
how does doom3 run on ati 9600 ??
or a 9700?
9700 > 9600 in term of performance, right ??

SidEDIT: Edited into one post.

You know you could have just edited your first post...

Doom3 will run on a 9600 with low details probably, and yes the 9700 is "better" than the 9600.

If a GeForce 4 MX can pull low details (according to PC Gamer), I think a 9600 can pull higher than low details.

oh man 9600 is like the minimun requirement, which means if i buy the card now, it won't be able to run games that come after doom3 (not in term of time but in term of technology).

The 9800 would be a better buy. Its got a much better price vs performance if your looking for a card to get you through another year.

Actually I just watched a video and aparantly john carmac (dont know spelling) said that as long as a graphics card has 3d acceleration it will run doom 3. So i guess that mean geforce 1 should be able to run it.

Great Ill be set with this setup then. . .

Pentium 233mmx
128mb 7ns sdram
2mb S3 Virge
4mb Diamond Voodoo :naughty:
7gig diamondmax hdd
Shuttle spacewalker mobo
17" monitor
Sound blaster awe 32
Multimedia speakers

Man you think with that DOOM3 will actually fill that WHOPPING 4mb with texture maps? Those massive tin cans I have as speakers should sound great on that MASSIVE Awe32 huh? :sniper: -------* :x *--->

9800 pro 256mb is quite expensive, i saw that the x800 is even cheaper than 9800 pro 256mb

Newbie's Journey said:
how does doom3 run on ati 9600 ??
or a 9700?
9700 > 9600 in term of performance, right ??

SidEDIT: Edited into one post.

Depends on the rest of your system. A 9600 coupled with a good system should run Doom 3 well on med. detail.

Shuzer said:
If a GeForce 4 MX can pull low details (according to PC Gamer), I think a 9600 can pull higher than low details.

Seriously, I want to see a gf 4 mx440 be able to pull any graphics...;)

ShadowFox said:
Depends on the rest of your system. A 9600 coupled with a good system should run Doom 3 well on med. detail.

the rest of my system are ok enough, just need a good videocard. I want a videocard that can last longer.

blackeye said:
So i guess that mean geforce 1 should be able to run it.

Nope. GeForce 3 is the minimum GeForce card supported. Probably cause it's the lowest card with programmable pixel and vertex shaders. I know Deus Ex 2 and the like won't let you even start up on anything less than a GF3.

I agree with you man. But i swear to god he said that a geforce 1 good run doom 3. No BS im not lying.

Vigilante said:
What about my pc running it? Medium?
Yep.

I've got the same thing but with a 9500 Pro, and I expect we will be able to run medium just fine.

High if you enjoy sub-20 fps.

ShadowFox said:
Yep.

I've got the same thing but with a 9500 Pro, and I expect we will be able to run medium just fine.

High if you enjoy sub-20 fps.

Phew good to see someone with the same video card. That was the one thing I was concerned with.

I have a flashed and oc'ed 9500pro (with Athlon 3200+ Barton etc so that part will be just fine)

Was worried that card, although a very good card especially overclocked as much as it is, would choke on Doom3.

Medium settings and steady will work for me :)

No, the X800 pro is twice as fast as the 9800xt and only $30 more. Don't get the 9800xt, biggest ripoff you can find right now.

i had an mx series card b4...its just a geforce 2 on speed ffs lol. i upgraded from an mx440 to an fx5600 since it was a 'good idea'. lmao! but now i have a 9800 pro :D:):p

btw, get one now if you can...prices are through the floor lol (£130 ffs i mean come on!)

What all did it say about the 9600XT??? I am waiting for my X800 XT to show up, but I'm afraid it won't be here before Doom3...

bosox188 said:
No, the X800 pro is twice as fast as the 9800xt and only $30 more. Don't get the 9800xt, biggest ripoff you can find right now.

Last time I looked at places, they were still selling the 9800XT for $100 than the X800 Pro. :)

rofl less or more mate?? x800 is worth it if you can afford it tho...it is offensively fast on a decent pc....mmmmmmmmm:D

i got a P4 2.4 Ghz PC with 1024MB RAM and a 9600XT and a 5.1 Creative Sound System im pretty confident that i will be able to run Doom 3 at 1024x786 at med detail and 2xAA and 2xAF.

Somebody give me a diagnostic. I haven't been keeping up on benchmarks and all that shit:

P4 2.0 Ghz
768 mb RAM
GeForce4 Ti 4600 128mb <-- I think I'll be upgrading this, but I'm not sure if I should go with ATI or stick with nVidia.
160gb SATA hd.

what are you planning on upgrading too? I say a 9800 Pro (256 bit version, 128 video RAM) would be the sweet spot for your system not28. You can grab that for $200 on www.newegg.com

blahblahblah said:
what are you planning on upgrading too? I say a 9800 Pro (256 bit version, 128 video RAM) would be the sweet spot for your system not28. You can grab that for $200 on www.newegg.com
the 9800 (pro or otherwise) was definitely one of the cards i was considering. if i stay with nvidia, i don't know what i would buy. i am also looking to spend no more than $200 for it. aside from d3 and hl2, i don't plan on getting many other games, so a $300 card would be a waste of money.

not28 said:
the 9800 (pro or otherwise) was definitely one of the cards i was considering. if i stay with nvidia, i don't know what i would buy. i am also looking to spend no more than $200 for it. aside from d3 and hl2, i don't plan on getting many other games, so a $300 card would be a waste of money.

For $300 you maybe able to get a 6800 (non GT, non Ultra). The performance is better than a 9800 Pro, but I don't know how much your processor will bottleneck it. So the 9800 Pro is slower but cheaper and the 6800 is faster but more expensive.

blahblahblah said:
For $300 you maybe able to get a 6800 (non GT, non Ultra). The performance is better than a 9800 Pro, but I don't know how much your processor will bottleneck it. So the 9800 Pro is slower but cheaper and the 6800 is faster but more expensive.
i said i don't want to spend $300.
i'm going to get that 9800 pro from newegg.com, but not until i buy the game and see how it runs on my computer.

not28 said:
i said i don't want to spend $300.
i'm going to get that 9800 pro from newegg.com, but not until i buy the game and see how it runs on my computer.

Whoops. :eek:

blahblahblah said:
it's no problem. thanks for the recommendation on the 9800 (and the newegg link--i've never been there before).

not28 just get the 9800pro m8. the ti series is kind of old news nowadays. ull be able to play hl2, but ull be kicking yourself for not getting the 9800pro as you realise how bad the graphics look on the ti. i went from a 5600 to a 9800pro (and the 5600 has similar performance to the ti...if not better), and have noticed unbelievable performance increases on games like farcry..i can now play EVERYTHING with max detail, and not get a single hick up

do yourself a favor tho and get the arctic cooler fan, helps LOADS by keeping the temp down by about half (i have 1 extra fan on the back of my case, but the arctic makes all the difference).

I wan't to see how the X800 XT does with the new drivers...

I wonder if the 9800 pro can run it on high, im guessing it might be able to pull it off, maybe it will run at around 20 or 30 fps which is fine

Back