Dragon Age 2

Didn't like the first game, but if they change it around and I hear good things I'll give it a whirl. I think I put about 15 hrs into it but for me my slower PC and clunky gameplay kinda pissed me off a lot.

From most accounts it was way less fun to play on consoles, especially dealing with the menu controls.
Yeah, and it wasn't all that fun on the PC either, though it looked great and the camera was brilliant. They NEVER should have mentioned Baldur's Gate in relation to this game though. It got my hopes up to impossible levels that Bioware could not possibly meet. Maybe if my expectations are low enough, I will really enjoy DA2. I am going to shoot for that.

GODDAMNIT, stop mentioning Baldur's Gate, I want to get through that but suck at the party management not to mention I have so many other easier to get into games out there.:(

But I really wanna play through BG1 and 2 for story..

I hope I can have more than 3 companions out with me. I want them all with me.

System reqs are out.

Recommended:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz Processor or equivalent
CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 Triple core 2.8 GHz or equivalent
RAM: 2GB (4 GB Vista and Windows 7)
Video: ATI 3850 512 MB or greater
Video: NVIDIA 8800GTS 512 MB or greater
DirectX 11: ATI 5850 or greater
DirectX 11: NVIDIA 460 or greater

Minimum:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo (or equivalent) running at 1.8 GHz or greater
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 (or equivalent) running at 1.8 GHz or greater
RAM: 1 GB (1.5 GB Vista and Windows 7)
Video: Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS 256 MB cards
Disc Drive: DVD ROM drive required
Hard Drive: 7 GB
Sound: Direct X 9.0c Compatible Sound Card Windows Experience Index: 4.5

And a video of how the truly awful and unnecessarily different combat system works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ojefQlGTzE&feature=player_embedded

So much for the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate.
Dawkins102.gif

I still don't understand the tears over the new combat system. So we are given virtually the same combat system, but also, an optional addition to play it like an action hack and slash?

The combat system looks pretty much the same as in DA: O with new moves.

is it just me or are the movements of that Hawke-rogue really erratic
don't like the UI much either... pretty dull

have they confirmed that it'll ship with mod tools yet?

I still don't understand the tears over the new combat system. So we are given virtually the same combat system, but also, an optional addition to play it like an action hack and slash?

The combat system looks pretty much the same as in DA: O with new moves.

Are we looking at the same video?
It's pretty much a God of War clone now with a useless pause and play system tacked on.(notice how the player plows through like EIGHT GUYS without breaking a sweat)

No, it looks just like DA: O but with flashier moves and more player input. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

What could be a bad thing is how much they balance the game to suit the "real time" style of play, as you're obviously given less of an advantage that way. Then again, they didn't exactly go easy on us with DA: O's difficulty...

Edit: You uhh... you did watch the whole video, right?

It looks, from that video at least, as if the game is easy enough that the tactical mode is in fact completely useless. Which I find sad, of course.

Game demos always use easy/god mode, they're usually less about showing off the challenge and more about showcasing all the Really Cool Things you can do. But yeah, I'll remain skeptical about that until I see or hear proof to the contrary.

Anyway, they'd still have to convince me it was a good deal less bland than the first game for me to consider buying it. :p

Pretty much what tav said.

Also, it'd have been an insta-buy had they just introduced a completely new region of the game world and new characters, as I loved the first game.
But no, they go and turn it into Mass Effect in the fantasy realm.

I haven't even beaten the ****ing game. I was far in it... saved my game, put it on an external hard drive and formatted my computer. Never came back to it.

I will be replaying it soon, getting the Ultimate Edition for Christmas.
Gave my other copy to a friend.

That looks rather enticing to me now that they've added a better realtime combat system. Never really liked the pause and play strategy of the first.

I agree with Bad Hat on this one. They kept the old style of combat in there but just added an extra combat option. I would be VERY surprised if the game was actually that easy, as people have said many demonstrations of games make enemies super easy in order to show off the moves in a small amount of time.

Those system requirements seem rather extreme to me.

I didn't feel a great deal of joy when I saw that video, I guess I'll wait for video/paper reviews and a demo before a buy. Tis a shame.

But no, they go and turn it into Mass Effect in the fantasy realm.

Are you sure you watched the whole video? Like, the stuff after the real time combat? I'm really not sure how you're coming to this conclusion.

Edit: Granted, it is much more similar to ME in a lot of ways.

Yes, I've watched the video twice.
I'm mostly going by things I've read in other articles as well.

They've added a completely unwarranted conversation wheel, a fixed starting character(much like the Sheperd of the ME series), and now they've added real time twitch based combat.

The pause and play mechanics they showed us after the real time combat is no different than pausing a game and telling your AI team mates what to do.
But, as I said, it looks completely useless as the main hero easily plowed through hordes of enemies on the screen thus causing me to wonder if having the party members is necessary at all.

And once again, it's supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate, gorrammit.

Though, I don't know why I'm even complaining as I have no way to play the sequel.
My computer is wholly inadequate and I have no consoles aside from a PS3 that I use for the blu ray, though if there's enough praise for this game then I just might grab it for the PS3... and suffer through that simplistic looking combat model.

And once again, it's supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate, gorrammit.
Yup, my thoughts exactly. I wanted to like DA: O much more than I did. So sad that this looks like a further step down for the series. Oh well. Thank God for GOG!!! :p

Baldur's Gate is not hack n slash.

Diablo 2, Torchlight, Titan Quest, Sacred, Fate, etc.
Those are hack n slash.

Well, I don't know. I probably played Dark Alliance. I don't remember anymore. EDIT, Yup, it was on Xbox

I like HnS, but I feel that games have been much too shallow. And short. It's really something that needs to be an really long grind fest, IMO. And make it somehow never get old, with unique upgrade paths, weapons and armor that you can see.

I liked Champions of Norrath, but I hated that you could cheat by reloading to get different drops on the bosses. Don't tempt me to cheat! And, I missed being online. I was so excited to see the game in the store, I didn't notice it wasn't an online game (I had been playing Everquest at the time, and this is based on the Everquest world, if anyone is wondering).

I think he meant Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. Same would go for Champions of Norrath too. Great HnS action.

Man, I remember playing Dark Alliance 1 on the PS2, never beat it though, but me and my bro played so much multi in it, I think we actually got to the final boss, that gigantic chick with her magic armor!

Damnit, now I feel like replaying that again..

Weren't there rumors going around recently of a new Baldur's Gate game that might possibly be Dark Alliance 3?

Yes, I've watched the video twice.
I'm mostly going by things I've read in other articles as well.

They've added a completely unwarranted conversation wheel, a fixed starting character(much like the Sheperd of the ME series), and now they've added real time twitch based combat.

The pause and play mechanics they showed us after the real time combat is no different than pausing a game and telling your AI team mates what to do.
But, as I said, it looks completely useless as the main hero easily plowed through hordes of enemies on the screen thus causing me to wonder if having the party members is necessary at all.

Yeah, I share all those concerns, but again: the second half looked exactly like DA: O but a bit flashier. The only issue is how the real time "option" will actually effect the game's difficulty, and whether or not playing tactically will still actually be viable.

Hack n slash is over rated.

Damnit. I knew I was enjoying those games a bit too much. :(

Is there still friendly fire? Because the mage and hunter in that video used AoE attacks on their own group. Not sure how I would feel about that being gone. On the one hand, I never used them much in the first game, so no FF would make it more useful, but it would dumb it down a bit.

I'm not too concerned about the realtime combat mode making the game too easy, as I found DA: O to be fairly challenging. Unless they have taken that as criticism and made it very easy now. In the end, it's still the player that decides to do it the easy way, if it even is the easy way. Can't say that the hack 'n' slash mode looks very appealing to me though, doesn't look very smooth to me, as if you don't have a whole lot of control over your character.

Friendly fire is almost certainly there for any but the easiest difficulty, which was probably what was used for the gameplay demonstration.

Heh, god they're smug, but that does look pretty interesting.

If this game doesn't feature the same comedic levels of blood stains after battles with creatures as small as rats it just ain't me. Would be a total deal breaker.

I hope they make the plot AFTER the origin stories actually remotely interesting this time. (opinion aluhrrrt)

You know, I used to be a idealist, always looking for purity, for that certain type of role-playing game, or that particular genre, or that particular gameplay mechanic.
Getting older taught me to relax and just have fun out of computer games. All I want from Dragon Age 2 is an entertaining story and an engaging role-playing experience.

I'm a liiittle worried, but at the same time, I can't wait. Well, actually, I can because I'm playing through Origins another time cause I got the ultimate pack, but after that!

Back