E3 2004 HL2 Demonstration

commando said:
I love when the Zombies are SHOUTING like crazy when on fire!

Heh at first I thought it was someone in the crowd doing the screaming as a joke.

The G-Man gives me the creeps :eek: Eli's voice is perfect, nice touch that he was the first scientist you saw after the accident :bounce:

I'm not normally a CS player these days, but that demo kicks ass. I can't wait to see all the other mods on Source.

Earlier I was deliberating over whether to upgrade for this game... now I don't have any doubt ;)

lol this is <RJMC> signature:im sure im the only latin here,also im sure im the only one that buys pirated cds ,not originals like this gringos,i wont say anything bad about usa because the cia read this forums and they will attack my poor country.

Amazing video! I've seen 2 movies now. Are you saying there will be more of them @ E3?

eli's i am really tryin to remember what scientist he is in hl1

More ATI booth demo impressions:
- The end of the first GMan sequence is just awesome. "smell the ashes", his face looks so real, and CREEPY. Damn that's well done. And earlier when the camera was right in his eyeball, it's hard to tell with the poor vid quality but it seems extremely detailed.
- Apartment building: the specularity on the walls and floors is perfect, not overdone. I love how the characters interact with you as you approach... that black guy looks so real! I'm impressed with the level of detail on the non-main characters. The whole thing had such a perfect feeling of foreboding and paranoia... so cinematic.
- Buggy ride: The ride looks a little wierd when it tips on its side because Gordon's head doesn't also tip. The shotgun is damn powerful. I like the lil antlion wings, and the little red light on the grenade. And I love how he drags the combine's gun with him as he's walking backwards, using the manipulator.
- Lab: That fem-scientist (I think we heard her name in the SoftImage tutorial video, I forget it) has a nice butt. The Vortiguan (sp?) appears to be Eli's lab assistant or something, they're talking when we approach. Eli's curved pegleg is too cool.
- Toolshed: The first couple seconds of this looked gorgeous, wit hthe sky, the lights and the birds. Love that zombie swipe animation, so cute. Notice when gordon breaks the large board over the doorway, he's albe to break it a second time once it's fallen. This shows that breakable objects down just 'break' into their constituent pieces once, there are apparently different break points that have different effects. I've been wondering about that. Firing the sawblade at the zomie's head decapitated it and left the headcrab alive. What's in the 'smoke' canisters that caused the zombie to catch fire? That scream is unearthly! At first I thought it was somebody in the theater doing it... FREAKY. When gordon manipulates the 'fire hazard' barrel, at first I thought he was somehow moving the crates too, but I think the zombies are kicking those. The delay between explosions is nice. :D Hard too see what that last zombie does... is he throwing a plank at gordon when the canister explodes?
- Courtyard Strider Battle! Too much going on in this one, so exciting. So much AI being used, very very impressive. One of the resistance fighters has the flaregun, I think that's the first explosive shot fired. The window on the van-thing Gordon hides behind gets shot and moves, beautiful. When gordon looks up and he's right under the legs of the damn thing I thought for sure he was gonna get impaled. Right after the columns get blown up you can see that there's two striders, and one is walking around crouched. The strider blue-blast effect has been completely redone, I like it much better. Now you get a blue laser thing as kind of a warning.
- GMan final: The background we've seen before, in concept paintings. Some kind of mass production facility.

we need a decent recording from the hl2 presentation.
where is centropy when we need them?

Commando:

He's the first one you see still alive after the incident at Black Mesa. He tells you to make for the surface because all the phones are out :)dork:) and then he activates the retinal scanner for you.

Oh, I love that vid. I can't wait for the high quality one! The gmans eye is SO detailed, and the AI in the strider battle is excellent! Characters strafe, find cover, duck just like real people. The gmans voice sounds slightly different from the first E3 vid, it's a bit more like it was in HL1 (bit more of a stutter). I also love the images of the 'accident' in the background!

"Rise and Sshine, Misster Freeman... Wake up and smell the.. ashes." Now THATS creepy!

Single player Hl2 looks astonishing, cant fualt it at all.

but the MP CS thing...... it just seems that valve were too budy fannying about and have just rehashed a very old and very overly played mod.

all it is is CS with new models...... i mean for christ sakes this is HL2.....

i feel so betrayed..... :(

“Was that you knocking? I didn’t even know I still had a door.”

Breen is the only thing on TV

Gmans speech at the beginning reveals a little about the games setting. I really like how it seems to be set back on that traincar in space at the end of the last game. It appears Gordon has been re awakened. God I want this game , I don’t think anyone can really say the graphics don’t look good now , just look at all the detail in the apartment building , and everywhere.

“The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. I will see you up ahead Mr. Freeman”

That line is awesome , and the background appears to be a cloning factory for the combine. I also enjoyed how the first Gman part was set over the test chamber from HL1, it was eerie.

I also just noticed that the two by the window say "They have no reason to come to our place" "Dont worry , theyll FIND a reason"

PS- I think the MultiPlayer needs its own thread , Its kindof a waste for every other post to be someone saying "OMFG CS IS SUX NOT MY MP OK"

Also, the characters in the apartment complex are amazingly real. The guy whos turned to drink, the jumpy guys, the close-to-tears woman and the reassuring man. All perfect for a paranoid city.

The video is sitting on my desktop waiting to be played. I am going to see how long I can go without double-clicking on it.

I am afraid I won't last long, someone please stop me.

Dear. Lord. Jebus. That game is amazing. if you had doubts about it, watch this video. it totally redeems itself. good job valve

Sorry, but if you think what they showed in the demo is not the multiplayer that will come with HL2, you're nuts. Having it's own menu/launcher doesn't change that. We already know from eurogamer that HL2 and CS-Source will come out at the same time, I think it's pretty crazy to assume there's some kind of secret, unmentioned additional, original HL2MP.

CS2 being HL2 multiplayer? Possibly.
The demo being HL2 multiplayer (aka CS Source)? Out of the question.

It's a retail port which will sell at low budget price. CS Source is NOT CS2 (look at my mail in the Valve info thread)

wow first ever post man! Welcome to the forums. (double clicking it?)

Wow.

NO ONE gets to complain or make fun of Gabe, the Valve crew, the delays, nothing.

That demo of HL2 and CS on Source is ... incredible.

I ll be dam, I ll be dam, I ll be dam.

Everything is perfect I mean PERFECT. except for one problem I noticed that valve had missed it. Look at the video again when Gordon pick up the Huge Red Container near the Ship by the Gravity Disk, Look at the shadows below the container, there are two shadows One is for the Container and the second for the Disk. It suppose to be Just One Shadow and that for the Container. If the container were made of Glass then it will be realistic to have two shadows. The container is made of Solid Iron......So How comes there is two shadows. ?

Dam if this problem is all over the place.............

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
The video wont open on WMP dvix or whatever plays it fine untill about half way through then stops! nooooooooo
help?

anyone notice that alien dude that was talking with the black scientist(forgotten his name) as gordon made his way down in the elevator...?
wonder what that's all about
i liked how he had a prosthetic leg too, neat little detail...

G0rgon said:
It suppose to be Just One Shadow and that for the Container. If the container were made of Glass then it will be realistic to have two shadows. The container is made of Solid Iron......So How comes there is two shadows. ?

Dam if this problem is all over the place.............

How friggin picky can you get? You were/are LOOKING for stuff to say is wrong. You know I feel strongly because I was willing to struggle through the insane load times on this site since E3 started.

DimitriPopov said:
How friggin picky can you get? You were/are LOOKING for stuff to say is wrong. You know I feel strongly because I was willing to struggle through the insane load times on this site since E3 started.

Iam only giving facts "Bitch",

Look at the vid again then discuss...........

PvtRyan said:
The demo being HL2 multiplayer (aka CS Source)? Out of the question.

It's a retail port which will sell at low budget price.

Out of the question? Where do you get this? CS-Source could be both sold with HL2, and sold as a seperate SKU by itself.

G0rgon said:
Iam only giving facts "Bitch",

Look at the vid again then discuss...........

How do you manage to play games when you look for stuff like that, you must find it very hard to have fun.

I loved the way they decided to put the colourful maps back on the antlions, :D real blood!, yay. that was sooo awsome. But valve never said that HL2 'didnt' come with its own multiplayer, forget CS, i want HL2 multiplayer, :D. pls, oh pls

Lobster said:
How do you manage to play games when you look for stuff like that, you must find it very hard to have fun.

Thanks. and the fact that he called me 'bitch' in quotes. Well I dont know how to take that , but I dont want to drag it out into a fight.

PS- Wow this reply window loaded fast!

PPS- the interview saying 'Early Summer' 'First Half of Summer' has me all worked up again .... just like last E3 , except now I dont have to wait as long (hopefully)

Lobster said:

No man, I always have fun but This is very simple mistake they can fix it.

All I am saying is, Is this a major problem or not ? but the other dude took it so seriously........... :(

when does summer start june? if it is early summer that means june-late june VERY early july doesnt it!? if they said mid summer it would be middle of july

just a thought

Woot. This is awesome. I never played HL1 and now I will have a chance to get caught up on it before starting HL2. I hope it isnt 50$ though, 10-20 wouldnt be too bad. I also hope stock HL2 will include TDM, not only DM. Does anyone think TDM will be in it?

oh man, i can't wait to check out this video!! but first i must take a long relaxing sh*t before i watch it...don't want any interruptions during my viewing. urgh..oh jeez, gotta go RIGHT now!

Ok people, Look at the vid again between:

5:08 to 5:14

Look at the shadows below the container. Tell me what do you think ? is it a problem or not ?

I like all of the shine on the floor textures, its well implemented. You can't really tell if the graphics are amazing or bad though, because the shaky cam vid is so terrible...unless there's a better one out already. I really like the voice acting.

CS looked kind of shite.

dæmon said:
Commando:

He's the first one you see still alive after the incident at Black Mesa. He tells you to make for the surface because all the phones are out :)dork:) and then he activates the retinal scanner for you.

Oh shit, I killed Eli...

manny_c44 said:
I like all of the shine on the floor textures, its well implemented. You can't really tell if the graphics are amazing or bad though, because the shaky cam vid is so terrible...unless there's a better one out already. I really like the voice acting.

CS looked kind of shite.

Complain Complain Complain.

Anyone else greatful!?

they said they would update all the original hl mods and hl itself, there is no reason to think that hl2 doesnt have its own distinct mp. i would still like more info from valve, all i heard him say is that he was combining the most popular mod wiht source engine, source is an engine not hl2.

nw909 said:
Oh shit, I killed Eli...

So you're saying you got Eli to open the door, got past the beam in the control room, loaded the next map, jumped past the headcrab, dodged the lasers, got the crowbar, and then went all the way back to kill him? :p

first strider i see, im gonna try to blow out its knees and not even worry about its body

Back