EGM/1up.com Editor "heavily impressed" by HL2.

Homercidal said:
First case: Valve buys off the former ass. editor of a CONSOLE game magazine so that he can give a fantastic unofficial review of a PC game.

Second case: Former Ass. editor of a Console game magazine gets a chance to play HL2 and likes it so much that he can't not post his opinion of it on the forum, since it's not a console game and he can't write an official review.

Which one of these cases seems most likely? Frankly I'm tending to believe that in this instance, someone just happens to think the game rocks, and he's entitled to his opinion.

Now that there are adapters to allow Mouse/KB controls on Xbox and PS2, the rift between them and PCs just got a little narrower.
HL2 will be on Xbox too

Homercidal said:
Now that there are adapters to allow Mouse/KB controls on Xbox and PS2, the rift between them and PCs just got a little narrower.

Isn't the main advantage of a console that you can just sit back on your couch and enjoy? I sure don't want to mess around with mice and KB's with a console. Therefore, shooters on console ought to be specifically designed for the console, otherwise they'll suck.

lans said:
His quotes are:

I agree about Halo vs HL 1. But I'll shit my pants if Halo 2 can outdo HL 2. HL 2 is like Stanley Kubrick made a videogame, not necessarily in its tone, but in its near absolute perfectionism. Everything from A.I. to dificulty to sound to music to pacing to dialog to just plain imagination is clearly the product of years and years of love and genius

Best shooter ever made. Possibly the best single-player game I've ever played

IMO HL 2 makes a mockery of HL 1, it's that good.

oh man, that's soooo nice to read. :)

god, from all the stuff i read so far, this product indeed seems to blow our socks off, like gabe told.

ElFuhrer said:
I wonder if that EvilEwok guy will ever show his face here again, under any name.

He was back a couple of days ago, trolling as usual. Pi Mu Rho flushed him like the turd he is.

MrMetroid makes me laugh... he's so hard to take seriously :LOL: .

This is certainly interesting news...

Anyone else reckon the post was deleted because of some sort of NDA?

Comparing Halo 2 to the sequel of the GREATEST PC game and FPS ever- that's like comparing a Nuclear Missle to a hand grenade. HL2 is gonna pwn...

Does anyone know the nature of the "agreement" to bring Half-Life 2 to Xbox? It's fine with me but I certainly hope that somebody like Gearbox is handling it because Valve should be focused on finishing Team Fortress 2.

I'm especially interested to see how it uses some more of the source engines capabilities, like terrain deformation.

Has anyone noticed that the link doesn't work? Are you sure that it's legit?

<RJMC> said:
HL2 will be on Xbox too

Yes. But he didn't review the Xbox version. To make a console review based on a PC version is mucho wrongo. Perhaps the Xbox2 would be more comparable.

<PvtRyan> said:
Isn't the main advantage of a console that you can just sit back on your couch and enjoy? I sure don't want to mess around with mice and KB's with a console. Therefore, shooters on console ought to be specifically designed for the console, otherwise they'll suck.

Sitting on the couch and relaxing is fine, but not what I'd be doing if I were playing FPS games. Anyway, they don't design the game around KB/Mouse, it just allows a player to turn "Much" quicker and Aim '"Much" more accurately. It's an option for those that want to use it, and those that don't, certainly don't have to.

Personally, I never bought FPS games for my PS2 only because I could never go back to a console controller after using KB/Mouse since the days of Doom. Just can't handle waiting for the guy to turn around. Too slow. It's like trying to play a driving sim with console controller... Yes, it can be done, but once you've played a few years with a wheel, you'll never want to use the controller again.

Sparta said:
Even without those mods, it was already clear that HL2 was/is one of the biggest games of this year (and last year, even though it didn't come out). It will be successful no matter what.

I dont know why man, but you've always had a major grudge with everyone on this forum (duh) and everything that Valve has done.

I remember saying that Far Cry was a great game, and you called me a fanboy because i didn't think it was a masterpiece. You just need to cool off and realise that people will always have different opinions, instead of insulting them.

And there you go once again. You have yet to play HL2, but blatantly call it (HL2) a master piece.
:LOL:

Caminante said:
And there you go once again. You have yet to play HL2, but blatantly call it (HL2) a master piece.
???

Isn't "masterpiece" referring to what other people were calling Far Cry? In that post it has no connection to HL2. He just said HL2 "will be successful no matter what" and I think that's true. It's getting great reviews and Valve has a huge following. At this point, there's not much that could be done to screw up the success of HL2 (short of cancelling it or pulling a DNF and starting over from scratch).

MY 2c
By L337_Assasain
...There's a difference between a good game, and a well made one, Halo2, doom3, and HL2 are both of them (and farcry...oops). Doom3 was a well made game, but not a very fun one, thus in my oppinion, doom 3 was not as good as halo1...Halo2 is a very well made game, but were not TRYING to make a game that every gamer is going to blow up about, it's just to hard...This is where HL2s' designers differ, they TRIED making a game that EVERY gamer would like.
My point is, is that halo2 and HL2 will be great games, but for ME, hl2 will make more of an impression (Halo2 will leave quite a big one as well). Just because others don't think HL2 will be a good game, doesn't mean they are wrong, it just means they are taking Halo2 for what it is, which is a GREAT game, but not ever game can be an exccelent one to everyone...I think this makes sense...sorta tired...

Caminante said:

English, can you read it?

well it comes as a shock to me that there are actually people out there that think Halo 2 is going to be a better game than HL2. Even to put the two of them in the same sentence seems a little ridiculous to me.

I played the orginal Halo, i didn't play it a lot, because i found it kind of boring. However the orginal HL and it's mods have been a stable to my gaming life since it was released.

The simplest answer is usually the correct answer. So my guess is that Valve paid off all the reviewers to have them say great things about HL2 so we'll never know how bad it is! I mean look at the Doom 3 reviews, they all said good graphics but there are so many problems with the game, I give it 90%. It is an obvious cover up if reviews mention good things about a game and give it a score!

I grew up playing Doom and Quake, and playing Half-Life was an eye opener, really loved it. Given what I played in my early days, I was all over Doom 3 (and did enjoy it), but it feels like HL2 is set to be another eye-opener for me, I guess I'm just somewhat expecting it this time. :cheers:

Jakeic said:
well it comes as a shock to me that there are actually people out there that think Halo 2 is going to be a better game than HL2. Even to put the two of them in the same sentence seems a little ridiculous to me.

I played the orginal Halo, i didn't play it a lot, because i found it kind of boring. However the orginal HL and it's mods have been a stable to my gaming life since it was released.

The simplest answer is usually the correct answer. So my guess is that Valve paid off all the reviewers to have them say great things about HL2 so we'll never know how bad it is! I mean look at the Doom 3 reviews, they all said good graphics but there are so many problems with the game, I give it 90%. It is an obvious cover up if reviews mention good things about a game and give it a score!
I agree entirely. My guess is that PC Gameplay took some money for writing an amazing review but suddenly developed morals when they had to give it a score. So they made up some shit up about the multiplayer to cover it up, and deliberately tried to sound as angry as possible to throw people off.

It all starts making sense when you find out how to fill in the gaps.

Jakeic said:
You find it likely that they paid off every single reviewer? This game has been recieving way too much praise for it to have been a flop, if HL2 doesn't live up to the name that all of these reviewers have given it then I don't see why anyone would ever trust any of these magazines ever again, and the fact is I am pretty sure the magazines know this.

Why can't people just accept that maybe HL2 really is this good? Everyone is just so needlessly pessimistic.

WTH buys Halo for the SP?!

Halo 2 sales will absolutely eclipse anything HL2 will do. Too many pissed off fans will get HL2 through other means well before it is releasedon shelves...

StAtiC said:
Comparing Halo 2 to the sequel of the GREATEST PC game and FPS ever- that's like comparing a Nuclear Missle to a hand grenade. HL2 is gonna pwn...

LOL, except when it comes to $$$$$

What makes you think that Bungie won't buy some reviews for Halo 2?

:|

subtlesnake said:
I agree entirely. My guess is that PC Gameplay took some money for writing an amazing review but suddenly developed morals when they had to give it a score. So they made up some shit up about the multiplayer to cover it up, and deliberately tried to sound as angry as possible to throw people off.

You obviously don't know the magazine at hand then.

subtlesnake said:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seriously, halo was a good game, the people who write penny arcade are some pessimistic dick heads...
I can understand them not liking it, but it was a solid game, and a good one at that, and they shouldn't say that Bull.

Halo is good in my mind, just not as good as HL. Or anywhere near it, but it was fun. But no where near as fun as HL + mods.
:)
I expect the same for Halo 2 and HL2.

Minerel said:
Halo is good in my mind, just not as good as HL. Or anywhere near it, but it was fun. But no where near as fun as HL + mods.
:)
I expect the same for Halo 2 and HL2.
I disagree, sure halo wasn't as good as Half-Life, but it is right up there with games of the same quality :)
BTW: Bungie is one of my favorite companies...LOVED MARATHON!!!

Back