Erm Bad news inside. I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
gooball said:
hmm :|

I really hope they don't delay it.

Why don't they just ask the HL2 community to help with the game?

hmm, they built a game engine.. they have good character models.. they have some mappers.. just finish the game?

I just don't understand, I'm not saying anything against Valve, but I don't get what could possibly delay the game.

:rolling:
What if the maps aren't finished yet? What if the models aren't finished yet. What if testing hasn't finished yet? What if there's a bug in the source code that generates a large crash at a certain point in the game? What if they're adding more levels? More weapons? More sounds?

Chris_D said:
I've been telling people for months that Valve would only delay the game if it needed to be delayed. They all still seemed so angry at Valve, which is so unfair.

They're the same people that'd be equally pissed off if Valve had released the game on 30th September and it was crap.

True, very true. Most people don't understand that games are not being delayed to piss off gamers, but to improve them. Look at what happens when they get rushed out, games like BF:Vietnam are so unbalanced and buggy, but they're being rushed out by publishers. Valve being independent and self funded don't care about this, that's what separates the brilliant developers from the good ones.

Chris_D said:
Like if you caught a glimpse of a newspaper headline tomorrow and all you could see is the word "END". It could be a headline say it's the end of the world; or it could be an article saying it's the end for the Posh and Becks. There's no point in preparing for the worst if it could be any number of possibilities as to why that headline contains the word "END".
Good Comparison.

Delaying the game to make it better works to a certain point. You can delay a game a year or so and still outweigh the impatience. But after that the feeling that it will be better dies off and people start to lose interest. Plus it means more media will be released and the game will be spoiled. The date now, Summer, is a perfectly good time.

PvtRyan said:
True, very true. Most people don't understand that games are not being delayed to piss off gamers, but to improve them. Look at what happens when they get rushed out, games like BF:Vietnam are so unbalanced and buggy, but they're being rushed out by publishers. Valve being independent and self funded don't care about this, that's what separates the brilliant developers from the good ones.
And even if Valve do get dumped by Vivendi (which would be a very stupid move on their part), then they are partners with Activision. If Activision won't take them on then Valve has still got Steam.

Valve are in a very good position right now.

Chris_D said:
Valve has still got Steam.

Steam Lover! As long as those sh*t heads at EA doesnt aquire (assimilate) Valve, I'm happy :)

So, what was that question?

Chris_D, keep up the good work with keeping the mob under control. I'm not going to post this until I know the context for the answer, and I really won't worry until Gabe Newell says "We have no idea when Half-Life 2 will be done" at E3.

Until then, I'm going to assume things are going well.

Also, remember that any interview printed in a magazine is probably almost a month old. (which reminds me... all those magazine writers saw half-life 2 a while ago. those bastards)

Six Three said:
Steam Lover! As long as those sh*t heads at EA doesnt aquire (assimilate) Valve, I'm happy :)

I don't think they could. I think valve has the liquid assets and identity to fight off any EA/borg attacks.

Dougy said:
Since HL2's delay Unreal 3 has stolen the best looker awards and several other games are boasting more advanced features.

the delay so far isnt too costly since most of HL2's rivals arent finished yet... but another delay would realy start to hurt HL2's credentials.

Once again that magazine statement does NOT mean the game is or is going to be delayed.
True, but when HL1 came out, it wasn't the best-looking game (it looked very cool, but not the best). Same goes for Deus Ex.
I know you weren't saying looks are everything, but just to point out.

I could mention GTA1, but that's missing the point.

Spiffae said:
So, what was that question?

Chris_D, keep up the good work with keeping the mob under control. I'm not going to post this until I know the context for the answer, and I really won't worry until Gabe Newell says "We have no idea when Half-Life 2 will be done" at E3.

Until then, I'm going to assume things are going well.

Also, remember that any interview printed in a magazine is probably almost a month old. (which reminds me... all those magazine writers saw half-life 2 a while ago. those bastards)

Yeah I'm not worrying either. It's actually a good thing to read that Valve keeps the possibility open for a delay to make the product all that it should be. That's always a good thing, and Valve deserves respect for that, not the flames it usually receives by impatient 12 year olds.

PvtRyan said:
the flames it usually receives by impatient 12 year olds.

Sprafa is a part of these forums too!

Dont get mad at me but I hate it when people create topics like this, all they do is stir up people in a community. There is 0 news in that interview and it is quite old actually. All Gabe is saying that if they felt the game wasnt up to par with their standards they would delay it and put as much money into it as they needed to make it better. Thats all.

Hehe even the tiniest piece of half-life 2 gets torn to shreds in this community, a bi product of such a popular subject, But as i said before, Shut down ur minds untill that preview shows up !

Lobster said:
Hehe even the tiniest piece of half-life 2 gets torn to shreds in this community, a bi product of such a popular subject, But as i said before, Shut down ur minds untill that preview shows up !
Yep, good plan. 23 days till E3.

Chewcky said:
Dont get mad at me but I hate it when people create topics like this, all they do is stir up people in a community. There is 0 news in that interview and it is quite old actually. All Gabe is saying that if they felt the game wasnt up to par with their standards they would delay it and put as much money into it as they needed to make it better. Thats all.

Chewcky, I consider that news. You see, when someone (such as me) hears something that I have not heard before, that is what I consider news. Just because you might have heard it already, doesn't mean the rest of us have :)

They will release it shortly after E3. E3 is going to give it the hype it needs, and all the magazine previews, and also it'll bump whatever other games are at E3, and their previews and headlines with them :-P. Good stradegy.

Qwiggalo said:
They will release it shortly after E3. E3 is going to give it the hype it needs, and all the magazine previews, and also it'll bump whatever other games are at E3, and their previews and headlines with them :-P. Good stradegy.
I like the way you think, sir!

E3 2003: Best of show.
E3 2004: Best of show.

my prediction. Valve hasn't let me down yet.

I believe that the statement is stating his firm commitment in making Half Life 2 a truly amazing experience. I don't really think that he's going to need to delay it past around September of this year.

What we would have gotten on September 30th 2003, I believe, would have been good gameplay.

What I believe we will get around September 30th 2004 will be, quite frankly, nothing short of amazing.

I have faith in Valve - and I think that it is very important to Gabe Newell, both personally and financially, to make the game amazing. He doesn't want the average review rating to be an 8.4. Would that sell millions of copies and extend the life of Half Life 2 for years? No. But Forty Game of the Year Awards will.

:D

Risiko said:
I believe that the statement is stating his firm commitment in making Half Life 2 a truly amazing experience. I don't really think that he's going to need to delay it past around September of this year.

What we would have gotten on September 30th 2003, I believe, would have been good gameplay.

What I believe we will get around September 30th 2004 will be, quite frankly, nothing short of amazing.

I have faith in Valve - and I think that it is very important to Gabe Newell, both personally and financially, to make the game amazing. He doesn't want the average review rating to be an 8.4. Would that sell millions of copies and extend the life of Half Life 2 for years? No. But Forty Game of the Year Awards will.

:D
couldn't have said it better myself... now if only this damn weekend would end, and the news could start rolling again.

I think the majority of the people who buy Half-Life 2 will buy it on name only and probably wont even read reviews. But your right, any extra time they spend making it better is time well spent (although, the thought of having to wait that long is maddening).

i have a feeling the next 10 days are gonna be horrificly slow

Lobster said:
10? Why 10? E3 is in like 23 days. Ugh, even worse. :x

Lobster said:
UNLESS PC Gamer comes out with their article... which could happen for subscribers in the next two or three days. we'll see.

Lobster said:
yeh E3, but dont forget PC Zone
Ahh yes forgot about that, yeh it IS really going to drag on, back in school, English Project :x and nothing to talk about.

EDIT: Hope your right Spif ' ! :D

Munro said:
The game will be out this year :) If it's not I'll give a free copy of HL2 to everyone who's posted in this thread and picture myself buying them dressed as Gordon Freeman :)

I'm just posting so I can get a free copy of HL2 if it's delayed :cheers:

Munro has pulled a fragmaster, Looks like we'er in luck :D

Originally Posted by Munro
The game will be out this year If it's not I'll give a free copy of HL2 to everyone who's posted in this thread and picture myself buying them dressed as Gordon Freeman

Mmm....free copy of HL2 just for posting....mmmm....Munro is gonna go bankrupt if HL2 comes 2005 =-p

I want a free hl2 too!

btw, dont cry everybody we still have quite a few great games... And dont kill the chicken before u have sold the beak, or something..

man... i still remember being psyched about a september 30th release date in april :'(

Joeyslucky22 said:
man... i still remember being psyched about a september 30th release date in april :'(
me too that sucked, why couldnt they have warned us :( thats the only thing I have against them (Valve).

_-_-SELAS-_-_ said:
me too that sucked, why couldnt they have warned us :( thats the only thing I have against them (Valve).
Yes... It was a day or mourning when that date slowly past by... And now look at us, half a year later, we are still holding on, We can do it! Girl Power! 0.o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back