Exclusive Interview With Chuck Osborn

Icarus

Reaction score
Today I was able to get a World Exclusive Interview with the man that reviewed Half-Life 2 first, Senior Editor Chuck Osborn from PCGamer. So let’s just get straight to it.[br]
[br]
Icarus: What was your reaction when you found out you would be the first to review Half-Life 2?[/B] [br]Chuck Osborn: It was a mixture of excitement and trepidation, because of the responsibility of being the first one to review it. [br]
[br]
Icarus: Was Half-Life 2 what you expected? [br]Chuck Osborn: More[br]
[br]
Icarus: Was it worth the wait?[br]Chuck Osborn: Absolutely[br]
[br]
Icarus: How long is the review?[br]Chuck Osborn: Nine pages, plus we have a four page story telling you what you need to know about running Half-Life 2 on your system. [br]
[br]
Icarus: Did it seem dated?[br]Chuck Osborn: Not at all. [br]
[br]
Icarus: Are there any spoilers in the review?[br]Chuck Osborn: There are some mild spoilers, because you can’t review it without giving away something. I say very clearly when to stop reading if you don’t want to know anything. If you read the entire review, there are a lot of surprises I don’t talk about, because I want you to be surprised. This is not a spoiler review. [br]
[br]
Icarus: Does it have multiplayer, if so what are they? [br]Chuck Osborn: Counter-Strike Source is the multiplayer. [br]
[br]
Icarus: Only CS:S, no Deathmatch? [br]Chuck Osborn: Only CS:S[br]
[br]
Icarus: Has it (CS:S) changed any from Beta?[br]Chuck Osborn: It’s what they say it’s going to be, but with a few surprises[br]
[br]
Icarus: Who did you get to play it with? [br]Chuck Osborn: Valve as well as playing in within our own offices[br]
[br]
Icarus: Did you get to play HL Source?[br]Chuck Osborn: Yes. [br]
[br]
Icarus: Can you tell me anything about HL:Source?[br]Chuck Osborn: Nope[br]
[br]
Icarus: Is it (HL:S) included in the review?[br]Chuck Osborn: Yes, it's discussed in a sidebar along with a few screenshots.[br]
[br]
Icarus: Anything you want to say the users before I go?[br]Chuck Osborn: I'm just glad I don't have to keep my playing Half-Life 2 a secret anymore! It was killing me. Trust me...you won't be disappointed.
[br]
[br]©2004 Halflife2.net. Not to be reprinted or otherwise used without the express written permission from the author. He can be contacted at [email protected]

You can discuss it in this thread.

Is that the sound of incoming flames I hear? People will not be happy about CS:S only multiplayer.

Woo! I can't wait to read the review (UK PCG, natch).

Do you think you can get those digits that are so important to some people?

Only CS:S, no Deathmatch? Only CS:S
What a let down, how cheap do you get.

Was Half-Life 2 what you expected? More
due to CS:S been the only multiplayer then it is less than what i expected even before reading a review or playing it.

Im disappointed in this. i hope at least they get a decent MP in a patch soon after release or TF2 isnt far away.

Although i supose the main HL staff technically havent made a MP apart from HL DM. TFC was the TF staff wasnt it that valved hired up. The rest of the "Valve" MP games are infact just mods that Valve bought so they can put there name on it.

Bring on the 6 month delay because frankly i dont give a shit now

;( Damnit I'm gutted about the CS:Source only multiplayer. I hate Counterstrike.. ugh!

What a load of utter, utter, utter crap. You wont see me after release then, not much point sticking around after singleplayer is done :| *strangles Valve after years of waiting for nothing*

Omg this is getting so exciting :D i can't wait any longer!!!! Show me the review!! :p

Omg, just realised no HL2 MP, well, so much goes for using the gravity gun with people online :( that would have been great.

Just b/c CS is the only INCLUDED multiplayer in HL2.. i doubt that will stick around long when the mod people get their hands on it :thumbs: I have no worries and I dont like CS either

really? what did you expect I would have been really disapointed if they'd just made it like the SP but with basic maps and a manipulator.

theres no upcoming Mods coming out that you may want to play Munro?the HL mp was big when it came out but I doubt it HL2 did the same now that it would much more replayable the a repackaged copy of quake 3.

Well, I think that no more need be said for now. I am in shock. Roll on the release date then........
:borg:

lol ffs!

lol how long would it of taken valve to do a quick hl deathmatch?!

totally insane!

Don't forget DoD:S and all of the mods will be out in a year... Buy it in at most a year if you want it cheaper. But then you will complain about how bad the graphics are :D

I can honestly say there won't be a single mod that captures the HLDM spirit. They're all too over-ambitious.

Good mods wont be out until after a year, by then a better game with multiplayer will probably come out :)

It takes me quite a bit of restraint to refrain from (too much) profanity. Suffice to say I don't like the lack of HL2DM, and hope it will be added pretty damn soon in an update.

Damnit.

ComradeBadger said:
I can honestly say there won't be a single mod that captures the HLDM spirit. They're all too over-ambitious.

Yeah, but how many people are going to think "I know, I'll make deathmatch" after this information.

Thanks Icarus.

But FFS VALVe. Good job. ;(

How long will it be for vAlve to develop the MP for HL2. I bet they are already more than half way thru the code and design. By the time we have all finished with the single player, the MP will be finished.

How long before the mod'rs will be there. CS is there for now, and that just rocks.

Be patient, young padawans.....

:borg:

Feath said:
Yeah, but how many people are going to think "I know, I'll make deathmatch" after this information.
How many of them will match the pace and flow of HLDM? None.

The community should create a massive project to prevent there from being 1,000,000 different versions of a half-life 2 themed deathmatch.

Sad about the lack of DM but the review looks promising.

ComradeBadger said:
How many of them will match the pace and flow HLDM? None.
What about a direct HLDM port?

The HLDM code is even included with the HL1 SDK isn't it?

Obviously with new maps and models as well as the old ones...

Edit: I shouldn't think it will take a whole year for good mods to come out either. Especially not with the head start the dedicated teams (like Insurgency) have.

CS:Source is gonna be great with some more maps.
Who needs Deathmatch, when you can play Cs Italy? :thumbs:

That would be impossible to keep up with the coding. Thats why 1000 people dont work on one game.

disappointed!!!!

ah man I thought they said they were spending as much time on MP as SP

I'm one of those that never enjoyed CS ...just run and gun, which IMHO is so 90's

Basicly HL2 is just a singleplayer game then, Valve are gonner have to hope a good popular mod comes out for it to hold the same success as HL (how many were/are there for HL) or TF2 will have to be the next game to surpass HL

Frankly, I think you're all over-reacting. If you all liked HLDM that much there'll probably a port of it in HL:Source. If that's the case then with a few small modifications to the Half-Life 2 models and some quality maps - you have HL2DM.

If that won't capture the essence of HLDM, nothing will.

Frankly I don't give a shit that CS: S (I found CS: S pretty entertaining actually) is the MP in Half-Life 2. Give me the singleplayer and I'm happy.

Relax folks.
CS:S may be the only multiplayer but how long do you think it'll take a deathmatch mod to come out?
A couple of days work surely!

I think we'll all be too busy playing the single player to worry about this anyway. By the time that's finished, and I reckon that'll take a while (physics playing galore for me!), we'll be drowning in mods...

So chill, and enjoy other games till it comes out. DoW is class :p

Cheers,
Krusty :)

I wonder if they're actually gonna extract content out of steam... because as it is now, it is actually possible to create a server and join one... although not proper multiplayer, you can atleast play the maps with multiple people...

hmm.

/me waits for the multitude of Valve haters to come and and say "I TOLD YOU SO!!!"

However I really don't see the big deal with the lack of "official" multiplayer, you sure as hell couldn't have anything like HLDM once you factor in the physics. Any decent mod creators will be able to make a HL2DM but unless you plan on disabling the physics then there will simply be no way you could truly capture the feel of the original I think.

Bah! That's quite crap aye, no HL2DM, I couldn't give a rats ass about CS:S.

Chris_D said:
Frankly, I think you're all over-reacting. If you all liked HLDM that much there'll probably a port of it in HL:Source. If that's the case then with a few small modifications to the Half-Life 2 models and some quality maps - you have HL2DM.

If that won't capture the essence of HLDM, nothing will.

Yes but people want a HL2DM that captures the HL2 essence. Obviously a straight HLDM port would be basicly just HLDM. If you change the models/maps and add new weapons then you may as well just make it from scratch and sod the port.

How difficult could it be to create a map, place some spawn points, place some weapon spawn points and then let the battle begin?

Creating a HL2DM is really just a matter of map making, not creating a total conversion mod.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
**** CSS i WANT DM SHIT SHIT **** **** ASS**** DIRTY ****ING SHIT GNNNNN
i want a new multiplayer :( omg we will have to wait for MODS! that will take months! nooo valve y did you do that? :( :(

Back