Far Cry 2 Preview

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
Jack Carver isn't here. The monstrous Trigens are gone and that tropical island from the original game is over a thousand miles away. Instead, we're on the sprawling plains of the African savannah, and our enemies are angry humans and hungry wildlife. Far Cry as you knew it is dead: long live Far Cry 2.

If it's not white beaches or slathering mutants, what is it?

In short, everything. Far Cry 2 is hugely, impossibly ambitious. It's Stalker gone on safari; it's Boiling Point with a budget.

The story - the procedurally assembled story, that is - charges you with killing a man who's allegedly responsible for selling arms to both sides of a conflict in a failed state.

Along the way you'll become embroiled in other stories and conflicts, while you either accept missions provided by the game's principal factions, or play both sides against the middle to further your own selfish ends.

Read More..

I quite literally just read this and I must say that it is all good news. Sounds like a very cool concept. A huge open African world sounds extremely pregnant with possibilities for crazy (but not too crazy ;)) gameplay. I am more excited for this one now than I was when I first heard about it....

Any game with Cry in its name without aliens or mutants is good in my bookl.

sounds interesting, hopefully they wont run into the same problems found in stalker, boiling point and just cause

That sounds so great. I really hope they can live up to their plans and deliver on this one, as it looks like it could be one of the best games ever if it does.

I'm definetly keeping an eye on this! :D

IMO, in this case it's actually a plus, this is UBISOFT, Just Cause, Boiling Point and STALKER were all made by fairly small development teams, for example, in the case of Boiling Point and the Just Cause games, both were the first games for their respective devs.

Doubt it, seeing as in real life it's an extremely rare occasion to see single mercenaries freelance, most of them usually work for some larger PMC and in groups with other people from that PMC, but who knows.:p

Doubt it, seeing as in real life it's an extremely rare occasion to see single mercenaries freelance, most of them usually work for some larger PMC and in groups with other people from that PMC, but who knows.:p

Sorry expert.

Well none of that matters to me. I just like playing amoral freelancers :p

Whoever came up with those screenshot captions should be shot.

I'm really not too excited- the concept is awesome, but if it's anything like the console iterations of FC, it'll be lame. Ubisoft took one of my favorite games ever and raped the shit out of it- they turned it into another generic run-and-gun, rather than a brilliant long-range open-ended intensityfest.

I'm really not too excited- the concept is awesome, but if it's anything like the console iterations of FC, it'll be lame. Ubisoft took one of my favorite games ever and raped the shit out of it- they turned it into another generic run-and-gun, rather than a brilliant long-range open-ended intensityfest.
Yeah, agreed, but from the article it does seem like they know what was liked/disliked in the previous versions and the world certainly seems to lend itself to gameplay more in the vein of the original than the console iterations. We can only hope for now....

My life long dream will come true:

Is it possible to kill an elephant by running a jeep into it?

"The story - the procedurally assembled story, that is - charges you with killing a man who's allegedly responsible for selling arms to both sides of a conflict in a failed state."

Kind of contradictory, I understand what that means but still sounds weak in terms of plot. But who really gives a shit.

I'd like to see some nice hi-res in-game screenshots, not scans from a magazine. The game sounds way better than Far Cry was, and I like the new setting/direction Crytek is taking.

Malfunction, this isn't being done by CryTek, it's being done by Ubisoft inhouse, Ubisoft Montreal to be specific.. Totally different teams.. CryTek doesn't even have the rights to use Far Cry as a name anymore.

I always wanted to go to Africa and stop bad guys from selling counterfeit Pokemon cards on eBay...

its sounds ****ing good, i want to see some vids now :O

Kind of contradictory, I understand what that means but still sounds weak in terms of plot. But who really gives a shit.

Well, he's got five letters in his name, he's a supermoderator, and he sounds like a fish.

I don't know, after Far Cry, I'm not eagerly awaiting this one. Maybe after it comes out, and I download and try it out, I might enjoy. But as of now.."meh"

"The story - the procedurally assembled story, that is - charges you with killing a man who's allegedly responsible for selling arms to both sides of a conflict in a failed state."

Maybe it's because I just woke up a short while ago, but I'm not really getting how that is contradictory. Care to elaborate?

Wow, this concept rocks. Having an FPS stand with RPG elements! Wait....

*edit* i was beaten to it.

They better don`t add some bs desert-mutants and such. I don`t like suprises like that.

Malfunction, this isn't being done by CryTek, it's being done by Ubisoft inhouse, Ubisoft Montreal to be specific.. Totally different teams.. CryTek doesn't even have the rights to use Far Cry as a name anymore.

Oh wow. Well the game itself seems to have some very Far Cry'ish art. I'd like to see what Ubisoft Montreal can do with this.

Back