FIFA World Cup

I don't seem to recall mentioning the last 44 years, I'm talking about the team they have have now. And no, not bad luck, but the premise that you take the players individually, Rooney (one of the top 3 players in the world), Lampard and Gerrard (two of the best midfielders in the world), Ashley Cole (one of, if not, the best, left back in the world), John Terry (one of the best defenders in the world) and thats not including the immense ability of the likes of Jermaine Defoe, James Milner and Joe Cole. They come together and nothing spectacular happens which is a mystery to most England fans.
Still, it's the team as a collective that counts, not the individual players. If the team cannot perform when it counts, it's in my book a poor team, regardless if the players are skillful on paper.
ARGENTINA? Have you seen their defence? Maradona doesn't know what he's doing! Put Holland in there instead :p

Trust me, we all don't share the same opinion that England are going to win it. We sure hope they do and there is no argument that they are serial underachievers. Great players but not the best team, hoping for semi's this year.
Well, most countries are deluded about their team's capabilities, it just seems to me that England is an extreme case. Then again, it could be that England's loudest voices are the most deluded ones, and doesn't represent the majority of her fans. And we'll se what Maradona is made of in half an hour. :)

EDIT: Also, the vuvuzelas seem to be hated by everyone. Hopefully FIFA will realize this and have them banned from coming matches. It's almost unbearable.

Still, it's the team as a collective that counts, not the individual players. If the team cannot perform when it counts, it's in my book a poor team, regardless if the players are skillful on paper.

Well that's what I said, on paper they rival the likes of Spain, but on the pitch nothing happens :p

Argentina vs. Nigeria match was very entertaining. Messi could have easily had a hat trick but Nigeria's goal keeper pulled off some ridiculous saves. I was really rooting for them towards the end, but they just looked absolutely shattered.

Yeah, the Nigeria - Argentina game was really entertaining. Argentina was arguably the better team, but Nigeria showed some real skill and spirit, and I too was rooting for them towards the end. Lots of missed opportunities for both teams.

I think maradona would not be allowed back to the country if atleast argentina lose near the final

Nigeria had very little coming forward yet the Argie's defence was pretty poor...I think they'll struggle against better opposition.

I really hope Altidore starts for USA...never been less of a goal threat up front :p

Its amazing how Messi becomes a different player when he plays for his country compared to Barca.

He just loses that magic. Yes he's still flamboyant, ridiculously fast with his feet and speed and still gets those awesome touches that open the defence, but he never seems to be on par with his Barca side.

Not many players who are astonishing for their club convert for their country. Look at Henry, frighteningly good for Arsenal in his day, and then pants for France.

I can't believe I'm actually watching a game that isn't the final.

yay british got a gol! maybe this time things will be diferent,has the roney bited soemone or something like that?

1-1..ive always liked the american team theyve always been a no-nonense team none of this diving bs that you see from a lot of other teams

LOL, the goalie is gonna hear about that shit for the rest of his life.

That was a truly painful goal, I well and truly facepalmed, only England could pull something like that off lol.

**** i really want to watch this half and I'm being evacuated, huge fire behind my house.

Despite the draw I was pleased with England's performance tonight, I haven't seen them play that well for a long time, they created a lot of chances and it was a good warm up for the matches to come. They were just unlucky to concede such a poor goal. Not to mention the 66 and 96 campaign they drew the first match also, one they eventually won and the other they got the semis so no point getting a big fuss about it, I think England can do well this competition from what I saw tonight.

qd3Rc.jpg

Why do they keep feeding Heskey instead of Rooney?

Why do they keep feeding Heskey instead of Rooney?

Indeed it seemed strange. I missed the first half but Englands whole tactics were far different than I expected. Quite strange, certainly wasn't impressed.

He's a target man, traps the ball from the air to create chances, he played well I thought.

Really? Spent most of the night either offside or on his arse, which is typical of Heskey in general.

Yeah, really. I mean, go Team USA and all that, but even this American felt bad for the poor bastard. He will never live that down.

I'm no fan of Heskey...but he played better than Rooney in that game getting about and winning headers. Rooney didn't get involved enough. Mostly at the fault of the midfield for not giving the centre backs any option but a long ball.

It was a poor game, England were poor and the USA did well to stifle the midfield and stay tight on Lampard. Aaron Lennon should be given the ball more...no idea why they keep coming back inside. Oh and I don't like Rob Green at the best of times, I would have picked James for his experience.

Capello picked Milner despite having a virus for the last 2 days and not training? Wow...I mean he looked leggy and terrible. Never should have started today...got a booking because of that poor decision.

We didn't deserve any more than a draw. Hopefully people will adjust their expectations to the appropriate level now :p

I thought we played pretty well tonight (specifically the second half), although I think we should have won really.

I don't understand why everybody hates on Heskey. He does his job. He isn't a goal scorer. He's there to rustle up the defence and help other strikers to put the ball in the back of the net. Which, tonight I think he did a good job at doing.

We should have won to be honest, but a draw is not the end of the world. Slovenia and Algeria should prove no challenge.

I'm a West Brom fan so the fact we've dropped Robert Koren (Slovenian captain) makes it all the better.

That man will never be welcome in England again.

I'm hoping we Aussies don't get creamed by Germany, but I'm having a hard time we'll do any better than 3-1, Germany winning. Here's hoping I'm wrong.

Despite the draw I was pleased with England's performance tonight, I haven't seen them play that well for a long time, they created a lot of chances and it was a good warm up for the matches to come.

lolwutnotsureifsrs etc

That was probably the worst performane so far of the tournament considering England's 'stars'. Zero creativity. Inept. Terrible match. Probaby the worst yet.

Also, vuvuzelas? Ban that shit now for all non-South Africa games. So annoying. Ruins any sense of an atmosphere. No ebb and flow to the crowd chanting. Just a constant b-flat drone. :dozey:

Add a goal assist to that list too.

Congrats, he completed a pass. What a player :rolleyes:.

Also, vuvuzelas? Ban that shit now for all non-South Africa games. So annoying. Ruins any sense of an atmosphere. No ebb and flow to the crowd chanting. Just a constant b-flat drone. :dozey:

This.

I thought it was giant africanized honeybees.

Back