Fingers scratching against a chalkboard.

I don't agree with this entirely because fo rmy personal experience, I find a lot of screeching noises like this, high pitched metallic screeching, whiny/gossipy bitches, to be extremely irritating.
Easily bearable, but I just want to pop the person doing it. For me the irritation comes from a vey noticeable physical pain in the inner ear.

I'm going to have to go with the dog whistle comparison.

Yeah but see for us, at least for me, I don't mind the sound. However its the physical reaction it has on my body. I can't help it. My body just shudders and convulses when I hear that sound. Its not like a voluntary shudder people might do when they don't like something.

Raziaar said:
Yeah but see for us, at least for me, I don't mind the sound. However its the physical reaction it has on my body. I can't help it. My body just shudders and convulses when I hear that sound. Its not like a voluntary shudder people might do when they don't like something.
My post above is edited and

that is a trait you need to unlearn.

I used to do that as well but nowadays I have no response aside from slight irritation and inner ear pain. I think the last time I heard it was on Tv in a somewhat comical situation and it had no apparent effect on me.

I think it has more to do with us identifying it as carnage just as people jump from random loud banging or popping noises, and become wary of creaking noises, but all instinctual responses can be unlearned.

Dumb Dude said:
I don't like the feeling/noise that marbles make when rubbed together.

Wow. I thought I was the only one.

I hate the sound of water being poured into a glass/cup.

> <

I love the sound of a fresh young virgin screaming in pain as I rip and stretch away at the lining of her newly opened love canal.

it anoys me a litle but not to make me scream "make it stop!" but is unconfortable,and I know a few friends who cant stand it

OvA said:
I love the sound of a fresh young virgin screaming in pain as I rip and stretch away at the lining of her newly opened love canal.

Is that really necessary?

I know what that is...I think. People do not like a particular frequency of sound. It affects them in bad ways..probably something to do with the brain or some bone in the ear, that is a certain mass that will respond to those sounds. I hate it when someone takes their tip of their fork and rubs it really hard on a glass plate to get that high pitch frequency, I really hate that.

I've never understood why people are annoyed but that sound. It doest affect me at all.

Could have something to do with the natural resonance of your eardrums, or something? Everyone's eardrums are different, and they all have natural resonance levels, so some people would be affected, and others not. You might be getting a standing wave in your ear, which is uncomfortable, to say the least.

-Angry Lawyer

But for me its just the feel on the fingernails...

OvA said:
Everyone loves that, silly :p

What I hate :
Fingernails on blackboard
Fingernails on my own skin after taking a bath (I sometimes use special shampoo to increase hawtness of my body and your skin feels like a blackboard then :p)
Chewing on aluminium / aluminum for the Americans (Why hasn't anyone mentioned this yet :|)

Beerdude26 said:
Chewing on aluminium / aluminum for the Americans (Why hasn't anyone mentioned this yet :|)

Isn't that an electric shock from the fillings and the aluminium?

Angry Lawyer said:
Could have something to do with the natural resonance of your eardrums, or something? Everyone's eardrums are different, and they all have natural resonance levels, so some people would be affected, and others not. You might be getting a standing wave in your ear, which is uncomfortable, to say the least.

-Angry Lawyer

The funny thing is. I can create that feeling, that awful awful feeling out of pure will, too. Without any stimuli.

I've thought about this question before and here's my theory.

It's not necessarily the "sound" produced that's irritating you. The sound is reminding your brain of times when YOU have run your fingernails across the bb, when it sends uncomfortable shudders through your whole body.

Your body is just reacting to the stimuli and you feel uncomfortable. For some reason, the sound is enough stimulus that it actually makes your body recreate the uncomfortable feeling YOU had when YOU ran your fingers down the blackboard last.

It also can be compared to the hot stove scenario. Heat is touch whereby we are talking about sound, but the theory is the same. Once you touch the hot stove, you know not to do it again. Now imagine that when you touch it, you get burnt AND it emits a loud screeching sound. You wouldn't want to touch it.. and when other people did, the sound would make you uncomfortable and think about getting burned. Not exactly the same as the black board scenario but it's just an example of how the brain can produce physical reactions from sensory stimuli. This is actually pretty cool because it must have saved all our ancestors asses at some time.....

I think NJspeed is right. It's like when Trent Reznor starts talking about people's penises snapping off and you just feel like being sick even though it's not actually happening to you.

Nails on a chalkboard doesnt bother me that much,but paper cuts(seeing one or getting one) sends me into convulsions lol.I would rather be stabbed with a knife than get a papercut for some reason :dork:

NJSpeed's theory sounds most likley to me

Codcommando, I know what you mean about paper cuts, but I would point out that you have had a paper cut in the past, but have never been stabed (I assume).

I think NJspeed is right.
but didn't i mention this in the first page sulk? :(
how come you never agree with me?
Edit: you too Link... .

When i'm not doing it I just get a shiver down my spine. But when i'm doing it. God.

NJspeed said:
It also can be compared to the hot stove scenario. Heat is touch whereby we are talking about sound, but the theory is the same. Once you touch the hot stove, you know not to do it again. Now imagine that when you touch it, you get burnt AND it emits a loud screeching sound. You wouldn't want to touch it.. and when other people did, the sound would make you uncomfortable and think about getting burned. Not exactly the same as the black board scenario but it's just an example of how the brain can produce physical reactions from sensory stimuli. This is actually pretty cool because it must have saved all our ancestors asses at some time.....

That makes sense but I've never scratched a chalkboard or anything similar.
I think it has more to do with resonance than anything.

Just thinking about the sound gives me shivers, but I could care less about what it would do to my fingernails.
The vibration coming through my hands would be uncomfortable though as it would be matching the resonation of the noise.

First of all, Hearing=Tuching (ya, rly)

When sound occurs from something moving, it creats vibrations or "waves" as they are called, these waves reach your ear and deeeeep inside there is small small wormlike "grass", i dont know how to describe in english. When the waves hit these "things" they move which you feel...or "hear". So when an explotion occur, the waves are very very strong and when they reach these "things" it causes them to move very agressiv, you feel this as hurting.The waves are FYSICALY tuching these "things" Imagine your fingers being these "things" and when strong waves hit them they might break, same thing happens in your ear (exept these are millllllllions of times smaller)

When you get tillitus or whateva its called in english, it happens because of these things is dying, when some of these dyes, they just lay down making you feel...or "hear", a "beeeeeeeeep". Old people can have this all day long, because throughout their lives, many of these "things" has died.

Another example would be the old classic "if a tree fall, but there is no one around,would there be a sound?", well, there is still the waves, but there is no one to recieve them and "feel" them and therefore no living things to "hear"them so the sound DOES exist because the waves are there, its just that no one is there to reciev them.

When taking the example as the author of this thread, the nails scrach against the board causing the waves to be very thin (i think) and when they reach your "things" inside your ear, it causes them to move or "sway" in a specific way, making it hurt, like someone taking a knife cuting your arm, its FYSICAL tuching, inside your ear, but we call it "hearing".

I read an article about this a while ago, showing a theory that hearing is a misstake through the evolution of man. We all know life began in the deep seas of earth, and the fishes has...god i dont know what they are called in english, but were the water gets suckt into..like lungs exept it works totaly different. Well, when air breathing animals walked on earth, herreditating from sea animals, their..."water breathing things (god this is embarresing)" recieved sound waves instead of water, causing them to evulate and grow and making the tuching of these waves become hearing. It must have been painfull for the first animals because they werent adapted to this, soundwaves would have continously hurt them. Although its just a theory, it is most likely what occured.

Can someone look up what these words are that i cant remember? lol

Sometimes I feel like I have a sixth toe sticking out the inward facing side of each foot. It's like I can almost feel it and you know when the tips of your fingers feel wierd so you press on them to get rid of the feeling? I get the same feeling on my "sixth toes" so it is unbearable and I constantly press on my finger tips since I can't press on the toes, since they don't exist :p. My sixth toes usually "appear" when I think about it. GAAHHHHh I have it now. :|

I hope I'm not some especially un-evolved person (still having nerve endings in the side of my feet that link to when the human species still had ape feet).

WaterMelon34 said:
Sometimes I feel like I have a sixth toe sticking out the inward facing side of each foot. It's like I can almost feel it and you know when the tips of your fingers feel wierd so you press on them to get rid of the feeling? I get the same feeling on my "sixth toes" so it is unbearable and I constantly press on my finger tips since I can't press on the toes, since they don't exist :p. My sixth toes usually "appear" when I think about it. GAAHHHHh I have it now. :|

I hope I'm not some especially un-evolved person (still having nerve endings in the side of my feet that link to when the human species still had ape feet).
Ask your parents if you were born with extra toes that had to be amputated. :LOL:

I can't stand walking on certain suspended floors. Such as one of those enclosed bridges they have connecting 2 buildings. They always feel unstable and like they're going to fall out from under my feet to me. Strangle other things like those swaying types of bridges don't feel like that to me.

Back