Forum Decline

lePobz

Tank
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed a sharp decline in the content of the hl2.net forums?

Its no fun any more, just a load of kids posting the same old thing... I think i'm going to pack my bags and leave.

This better not be a goodbye thread....

:O

Pobz if you leave, I will cry like I did when Shuzer left :( you=staying!

An interesting message. I shall closely examine it and ask myself some questions.

The mods need to put up an FAQ and something that shows threads that aren't allowed to be posted anymore in some forums.

Or something like that.

Etc.

I'm not going anywhere, I just think the forums have gone downhill a lot recently.

I have a graph of the situation

1 - Announcement
2 - Delay
3 - Announcement
4 - Delay
5 - Imminent release
6 - Post release
7 - Aftermath announced

Attachments

• graph.PNG
    graph.PNG
    8.7 KB · Views: 389
Murray, you should work in management.... Seriously :LOL:

What I was getting at with the thread was that 70 to 80 percent of threads on the forum can be classed as useless/spam/irrelevant - and a while ago would have been closed/deleted without hesitation ... but now they are going untouched.

There's also an influx of newbies starting pointless threads just for the sake of it.

Come on mods, do something.

You shall go far in the world of business with graphs like those Murray, good graph tho it's on the button I guess

Datrix is here to entertain! :D

I hope I'm not one of those "newbies starting pointless threads just for the sake of it". :(

lePobz said:
Murray, you should work in management.... Seriously :LOL:

What I was getting at with the thread was that 70 to 80 percent of threads on the forum can be classed as useless/spam/irrelevant - and a while ago would have been closed/deleted without hesitation ... but now they are going untouched.

There's also an influx of newbies starting pointless threads just for the sake of it.

Come on mods, do something.
Dude...that shit has been going on since the forum was started.

We will tell the mods to be strict...and when they do we bitch at them for being to strict...and when they soften up we bitch at them for not being strict enough.

It happens...

I find the forums to be better and better to me, because I am becoming more and more of a veteran. Getting to know all the old school people, and doing things like the pixel game with TDE. Forming friendships, etc. It gets better as the days go by.

The warning point system would be nice to have back. Having some ugly red warning text near your post count was a big deterrent to posting useless crap.

I think the forums are out of inspiration, especially in the General Off-topic forum... c'mon a spam thread on fish wasnt closed and made 3+ pages :stare:

I don't know about you guys but I prefer spam over 500 continuous threads of "This is when I think it's gonna be released", "Will my comp run HL2???" and "When exactly does Summer end / Fall begin?"

Yeah there has been a big decline. I remember coming to this site and leaving immediatly because there were like 2000 people on it at once. Oh well, somethings gotta change :) I dont really go into many subforums here except politics, that seems to be where the intelligence is at. Everywhere else, I guess, its 'been done'.

Hopefully it gets better again once the mods start coming in full force.

Yeah it has down gone a bit, but others have gone more downhill (Halflifesource anyone? ;)) I just hang around in the Offtopic Forum now.
Perhaps if I get a new graphics card, some more HD space and the mods start finishing, maybe I'll try some out and talk about them on here with people.

Hey, why don't we whine about it? I'm sure that will make it better.

*This post was made under the influence of a controlled substance and the poster, while he can be held fully accountable for the content of this post, does not wish to be*

So this guy walks into a bar and orders a beer, he then goes to the corner of the room, pisses into the bottle and drinks it. Walks over to the barman and complaints it tastes like piss.

"Don't piss in the bottle then" says the barman, the gentleman looks at him for a moment, then orders another beer. The barman hands it over and watches the gentleman walk off back to the corner of the room, where he once again pisses in the bottle, takes a sip, and returns to the bar to complain it once again tastes like piss.

"Sir, if you keep pissing in the beer, its going to taste like piss" Says the bemused barman. The gentleman simply stares back, and orders another beer, once again pissing into the bottle and then complaining

This keeps going on until the barman gets tired of the guy and throws him out.

Moral of the story.. Your responsible for the quality of the forum, if your gonna fill it with crap threads, flaming and general stupidity, don't moan that its not as good as it used to be. The mods can't make your posts and wipe your arse for you.

this is the result of an epidemic...

Outbreak, Outbreak! We have no containment......

*cough*

I don't think the forums have declined. I think people have changed, topics and discussions that previously interested them now no longer have any effect and as such they perceive it to be a decline when in fact it's pretty much the same as it was a year ago.

If for instance a spam thread lives for a couple of pages, it doesn't usually mean the thread is allowed, but that there's no moderator who's got it in sight. This can happen especially at hours where the UK moderators are tucked in their bed.

If it goes out of hand it's usually going down sooner or later.

If there's a thread or post you think should be dealt with, report it using the little exclamation button on the top right of the post in question.
Not alot of people are reporting these days, but those who do actually help alot.

And like TDE said, the users shape the forum, if you for instance think there's no "inspired" thread in General Off-Topic chat, why not start one? Do you expect people to constantly entertain you with hilarious posts and threads? :p

CrazyHarij said:
If for instance a spam thread lives for a couple of pages, it doesn't usually mean the thread is allowed, but that there's no moderator who's got it in sight. This can happen especially at hours where the UK moderators are tucked in their bed.

If it goes out of hand it's usually going down sooner or later.

If there's a thread or post you think should be dealt with, report it using the little exclamation button on the top right of the post in question.
Not alot of people are reporting these days, but those who do actually help alot.

And like TDE said, the users shape the forum, if you for instance think there's no "inspired" thread in General Off-Topic chat, why not start one? Do you expect people to constantly entertain you with hilarious posts and threads? :p

we need a robot moderator.... one who never sleeps

It seems to have a decline, I admit. But not one that is big enough to worry about.

Wait till Aftermath is announed to be out on September 30th... Then the forums will light up once again.

With people complaining??
Or saying gordon is G-man.

But it's true, after Aftermatch HL2.net's old spamming wounds will heal over.

The Dark Elf said:
So this guy walks into a bar and orders a beer, he then goes to the corner of the room, pisses into the bottle and drinks it. Walks over to the barman and complaints it tastes like piss.

"Don't piss in the bottle then" says the barman, the gentleman looks at him for a moment, then orders another beer. The barman hands it over and watches the gentleman walk off back to the corner of the room, where he once again pisses in the bottle, takes a sip, and returns to the bar to complain it once again tastes like piss.

"Sir, if you keep pissing in the beer, its going to taste like piss" Says the bemused barman. The gentleman simply stares back, and orders another beer, once again pissing into the bottle and then complaining

This keeps going on until the barman gets tired of the guy and throws him out.

Moral of the story.. Your responsible for the quality of the forum, if your gonna fill it with crap threads, flaming and general stupidity, don't moan that its not as good as it used to be. The mods can't make your posts and wipe your arse for you.

That doesn't really work does it. If the beer I get is already pissed in by all the other people in the bar I don't have to piss in it for it to taste like it. I'm not the only one on this forum, not only my posts determine the quality of the forum. If I posted an inspired and interesting thread in off-topic right now and in no-time it's full of bullshit, am I responsible for that? Did I piss in the beer?

I agree as well, i think the general discussion forum is dead tbh, i dont see how can call it active, some of those threads have been there days. During the day this place is pretty slow, at night its ok. Problem seems to be the new users making the same threads without reading older ones, AND spammers, we have a few who've been here a few months and post ridiculous amounts that contain nothing than sometimes a ' :angel: *cough* end' I do wish the mods were a little stricter, sometimes i feel like i can't be bothered to log in...i don't like change :(

edit: talk of the devil :stare:

theGreenBunny said:
That doesn't really work does it. If the beer I get is already pissed in by all the other people in the bar I don't have to piss in it for it to taste like it. I'm not the only one on this forum, not only my posts determine the quality of the forum. If I posted an inspired and interesting thread in off-topic right now and in no-time it's full of bullshit, am I responsible for that? Did I piss in the beer?

no, you made the beer for everyone to piss in.

so, you're guilty. :p

theGreenBunny said:

You gave them the glass.

Think about it.. whats likely to get the fastest response, complaining like this thread? naa should know by now these get ignored for the most part.. Instead walk, if all the decent members got sick of it and left, leaving just the shits to spoil the place, you can bet your ass and your bottle of beer something would get done about it. Really though, a few people claim to be good users, so why don't they do something about it, report trouble makers more, don't respond to flame wars or trolls, don't bitch about other users behind their back, causing rifts and more arguments. If the decent members really are decent, why don't they rise above it instead of joining in just cause so-n-so did and then wondering why the place has gone to hell. If the mods do more work, they get complained about for being too strict, if they do less work they get complained about.. Why can't the members take responsibility for their own actions, don't join in with the crap, help stop it.

The Dark Elf said:
You gave them the glass.

Think about it.. whats likely to get the fastest response, complaining like this thread? naa should know by now these get ignored for the most part.. Instead walk, if all the decent members got sick of it and left, leaving just the shits to spoil the place, you can bet your ass and your bottle of beer something would get done about it. Really though, a few people claim to be good users, so why don't they do something about it, report trouble makers more, don't respond to flame wars or trolls, don't bitch about other users behind their back, causing rifts and more arguments. If the decent members really are decent, why don't they rise above it instead of joining in just cause so-n-so did and then wondering why the place has gone to hell. If the mods do more work, they get complained about for being too strict, if they do less work they get complained about.. Why can't the members take responsibility for their own actions, don't join in with the crap, help stop it.

so we're all shits now...... (edit: nvm, didn't read carefully)

and, easy to solve: get rid of the mods.

15357 said:
so we're all shits now...... (edit: nvm, didn't read carefully)

and, easy to solve: get rid of the mods.

getting rid of the mods wont help things, it'll just turn this place into hlsource. They might not look to be doing much but you'd be very surprised how many threads are deleted before they even get seen, the amount of spam thats removed, and trouble makers. If you got rid of the mods, all that would remain, you'd have nobody to turn to if other users decided to gang up on you and drive you out. Getting rid of the mods would be bad.

The Dark Elf said:
getting rid of the mods wont help things, it'll just turn this place into hlsource. They might not look to be doing much but you'd be very surprised how many threads are deleted before they even get seen, the amount of spam thats removed, and trouble makers. If you got rid of the mods, all that would remain, you'd have nobody to turn to if other users decided to gang up on you and drive you out. Getting rid of the mods would be bad.

at least i would have sacrificed myself for Democracy....

Yeah! Down with the staff!

YEAH!!!

/me looks at Zerimski's title

*cough* err........

The Dark Elf said:
You gave them the glass.

You're assuming I was complaining, which I wasn't. I was pointing out flaws in your analogy. On that note, I would say posting a thread would be the equivalent of giving them the glass. The alternative would be not posting the thread. Meh, nevermind. Again, I'm not here to complain about the state of the forums, or to leave with much fanfare or any of that bullshit.

I visit here occasionally, posting in threads that I find interesting and in a way that is in my opinion quite allright. I don't feel called to do anything more to 'fix' the forums (except reporting). Instead I just go someplace else that doesn't need fixing, which is far easier and takes less time.

theGreenBunny said:
Instead I just go someplace else that doesn't need fixing, which is far easier and takes less time.

Well thats what I said in the first place.

Back