Settings: All default, except my resolution was set at 800 * 600
(Both AF, and AA were off)

System Specs:
P4 1.6 Ghz 533 FSB
128 MB SDRAM (High Latency)
Gateway Standard Mobo
40 Gig HardDrive 5200RPM
GeForce2 MX 210 32 MB Video Card

These are pretty low system specs, and represent what MANY people play with. My fps was different depending on which map I was on, but on most of them, I averaged about 16-20 fps.

I was playing in DirectX 7, so don't think that you'll get away with these kind of frame-rates in DX9!

I will NOT answer any questions, or post any pictures of the leaked version of HL2, so don't even ask. This post is here just to clear up some PC spec questions, etc.

Hmm, well it is the beta... so it will probibly be different with the final game. I wish I knew how my system ran... as a matter of a fact, what happened to the benchmark proggy anyways?

I was playing with 9600pro all default and there was never a hitch in the game. I'm not sure exact FPS, but they looked atleast a solid 40fps. It runs alot better than Doom3.

Originally posted by manny_c44
I was playing with 9600pro all default and there was never a hitch in the game. I'm not sure exact FPS, but they looked atleast a solid 40fps. It runs alot better than Doom3.
Im happy now :)

On my specs, the beta runs just perfectly until i throw a grenade into a bunch of wood and it all splinters, either it glitches for a second, or HL2 crashes with some error. I hope that's just because it's an old build and not everything is complete.

FPS moves pretty fast so I can't really get an average. It's anywhere from 38 at times where theres explosions and all sorts of stuff happening to like 50-60 when nothing special is happening

This is on dx9 settings so everything looks pretty :)

Originally posted by AmishSlayer
On my specs, the beta runs just perfectly until i throw a grenade into a bunch of wood and it all splinters, either it glitches for a second, or HL2 crashes with some error. I hope that's just because it's an old build and not everything is complete.

FPS moves pretty fast so I can't really get an average. It's anywhere from 38 at times where theres explosions and all sorts of stuff happening to like 50-60 when nothing special is happening

This is on dx9 settings so everything looks pretty :)
Oooo, what are your specs???

How long will it take before a mod shuts this down or some knob comes in here and starts shitting on everyone because they dled the beta?

Originally posted by SnowBall
Oooo, what are your specs???

See my sig.

EDIT: If for some reason you don't see it

AMD Barton XP 2500+
512 MB DDR RAM PC2700
ATI Radeon 9600 256mb
So on and so forth...

The leaked build is obviously unoptimized, so those results are not indicitive of how the final game will play.

Originally posted by Mountain Man
The leaked build is obviously unoptimized, so those results are not indicitive of how the final game will play.

It's just a ballpark number in my books. If anything, the game will only run better....I hope.

Most games in developement have all sorts of debug code running the background which can really tax a system. Part of the optimization process involves removing or disabling all those extra subroutines. I have no doubt the final game will run significantly better than the build currently floating around the internet.

dont pee on an electric fence:eek: ...
having that said, how can i benchmark my new video card and stuff??

Originally posted by RedHat Assassin
Settings: All default,...

As opposed to? lol, you can't change any of the settings around in the beta.. (other than switching to dx7/etc)

Originally posted by DimitriPopov
how do you switch DXs? By actual changing it for your whole system?

-dx # in your shortcut, I think

Originally posted by Butchie_bags
how do i benchmark my pc for half life 2??

With the illegal hax0r ripped megazor ownzage leak beta.

but I don't suggest downloading it.

Maybe somebody has the same specs as you and would be glad to share the results!

@ changing the DX levels....

make a shortcut to your HL2.exe file, and right click it. Then, choose properties, and add " -dx#" to your command line, where # is equal to the number/version of directX that you would like to run HL2 in :D.

Butchie bags... i wouldn't download it, heh. honestly, it's kinda' a hastle anyways... 1.4gb is one BIG-ASS FILE! lol

My average framerate in HL2: 16.3 fps

System Specs:
P4 1.6 Ghz 533 FSB
Gateway Standard Mobo
40 Gig HardDrive 5200RPM

These are pretty low system specs, and represent what MANY people play with. My fps was different depending on which map I was on, but on most of them, I averaged about 16-20 fps.

I was playing in DirectX 7, so don't think that you'll get away with these kind of frame-rates in DX9!

I will NOT answer any questions, or post any pictures of the leaked version of HL2, so don't even ask. This post is here just to clear up some PC spec questions, etc.

No no. That's EXACTLY what you should be getting. In fact... YOU ARE lucky the game runs so smooth. A 1.6gig 533 is okay (if you are an AMD nut, it's about an Athlon XP1700-1800). 128MB of ram, even Windows is slow with such a tiny amount (minimum to run winxp should be 256. If you are interested in games 512, if you are a nut like most of us... 1gig). For heaven's sake, even your hard drive is slow ! :eek: And that video card! My god! a GeForce FX 5200 is 60$!!! It's 128MB and way faster then that tiny thing. I bet even counter-strike in 800x600 isn't at 60FPS constent...

Anyways, I'm amazed you can even run the game! and 16-20 is way more then I expected for such a low computer. No offense, but most people are getting 16-20 in Halo 2 with twice that computer.

Originally posted by NSPIRE
Butchie bags... i wouldn't download it, heh. honestly, it's kinda' a hastle anyways... 1.4gb is one BIG-ASS FILE! lol

The best is when You get to 99% and windows freezes. Good times

hello,... try dropping resolution one step, its not pretty.. well actually its fvcking georgous, but its not gonna be 9800pro pretty...

anyway i got good framerates (havnt checked the numbers though) and I have a mid-range system with a geforce2ultra, but yeh.. im sure the true release will be much more stable/smooth

-------
systm
-------
2600+ (333fsb)@2209MHz
512mb ddr333 @384
Geforce2Ultra 64mb (soon to be repleaced by a 9800pro, swoon..)

p4 2.6C 800FSB overclocked to a nice stable 3.26ghz (stock cooling, at full load runs at 39 celcius. i dunno what that is in faihrenheit for you americans :p )
1 gig PC3200 DDR (agressive timings)
Radeon 9800 pro 128 meg, O/C to 410mhz Core 380mhz RAM (stock cooling - no artifacts)
S-ATA150 120gig hard drive (i really really reccomend S-ATA if you aren't going with a RAID setup. S-ATA is VERY fast!)

i can't wait for HL2! haven't dloaded the beta, i don't really plan to. i'm just too lazy :dork:

damnit i fear i turned this thread into a system spec thread!

You may get your 2.6 to go 3.7 but in the same way I can overclock my 3.2 to blow your already OCed chip away. Just a note to the showoff (showing off is sometimes good though)

It is almost useless to benchmarking something that are so incomplete.

well hehe i did download it and i dont really know how to tell whats what?

it runs about as well as medal of honor. but i can barely get it to do more than 1 level the reast is all basically not there

It runs ultra smooth on my AMD 2.6 Thoroughbred, with 512mb of DDR400 ram and a Radeo9700Pro... Except when you blow up anything made out of wood with an explosive. That just about makes my computer freeze.

It's sad to say the "Beta" runs better than Halo PC and Battlefield 1942. Shame on those two bastard developers.

A more average system:

AMD 2000XP
512MB PC2100 DDR
Geforce 4 Ti4400
Maxtor 7200rpm ATA133

1024x768
32bit colour

Never really dips below 25fps even in the heat of battle. Mostly running around the 40fps which imho is pretty impressive. On the ship level, which seems like one of the only finished maps, ive seen it break into 3 figures:bounce: not for long mind. I thought i would need to have a monster system to play this, but for now this is perfectly good and is helluva pretty. If i put on antialiasing knock about 5fps off the above fps figures.

GREAT JOB VALVE, didnt lie about it scaling to run acceptable on lower power systems, cant wait to see how the finished product runs!

Halo on PC runs absolutely terrible, i have to run it at 640x480 with everything on but Specular (bump maps). Only then does it run at about 30 FPS

and i have a Geforce FX 5200 128mb. I love Halo, but it was a poor effort

my system

amd k6-II 266 MHz
voodoo 3 16 mb (this card is awesome)
48mb edo 66 ram

if im luckey sometimes when I start the game up i get to see the menu before it crashes! i cants wait 2 by the game!!!1111111111

anyway the average gamers system is probably about a geforce 2 mx 400, thats one of the reasons cs is so popular (my friend runs it on a celrey 333 and onboard 8 mb graphics).

oh and DimitriPopov, ConSeannery wasn't showing off at all, you are the one showing off, and i doubt hes going to get a 2.6 to 3.7 without some extreme cooling, or getting extremley lucky with a packaged chip.

also to orig poster geforce mx 200/400's can't run in dx8/9 mode at all.

also if the ut 2003 beta is anything to go by, fps will be much better with the gold release. i got around 40 fps in the beta, witht he gold release i got around 130 with the same settings. but then again I don't think the ut 2003 beta was nearly as far along in it's development cycle as the hl2 beta.

My average framerate in HL2: 16.3 fps

System Specs:
P4 1.6 Ghz 533 FSB
Gateway Standard Mobo
40 Gig HardDrive 5200RPM

you call that a low end system??

i've got a celeron 800
300mb sd ram
tnt2 32mb

and i havent dl the beta so i can't say anything but the game is supposed to have good framesrates with that

Originally posted by Yatta
It's sad to say the "Beta" runs better than Halo PC and Battlefield 1942. Shame on those two bastard developers.

I very much doubt HL2 will run better than bf1942, bf1942 runs at 60 fps in intensive combat with everything on high. Idle the game does 110fps. And that's on a xp2000+ 512 ddr and a geforce 4, so DICE did a decent job I think.

Back