G-Man and the Vorts

Max35

Tank
Reaction score
This is probably a poorly-thought out theory. But it occured to me that the Vorts might have employed Gordon in HL2. At the end of the game gman comments "I have recieved some interesting offers for your services." So, he pulled Gordon back into stasis, in a sense betraying the Vortigauts. This is how I look at it. How else would they know where Gordon's obscure location is, without employing him through the Gman (and that he is being held in stasis). Like I said, there are possibly many holes in this theory.

Not poorly thought out at all. No evidence to say no. Does that mean Odessa is a Vortigaunt in disguise? :LOL:

Reginald said:
Not poorly thought out at all. No evidence to say no. Does that mean Odessa is a Vortigaunt in disguise? :LOL:

hehe well, Odessa apparently has a daughter (safehouse scene). So, I doubt it:p

His ending speech seems to imply that he was only beging to hire you out and hadn't done so yet.

No, I got it. Because you see Odessa talking to the Gman in the game. Atleast, that's what I took from it:) And Riom, you do have a point. But if the Gman released Gordon in HL2 simply because he had an interest in saving humanity, he contradicts himself in a way for he put Gordon back into stasis when his presence was so badly needed. So, we can only assume that certain individuals hired him.

Max35 said:
But if the Gman released Gordon in HL2 simply because he had an interest in saving humanity, he contradicts himself in a way for he put Gordon back into stasis when his presence was so badly needed.
Needed? How was his presense needed? Unless you count getting the data stream as nessisary. Maybe the g-man was just trying to piss on the Combine.

Max35 said:
No, I got it. Because you see Odessa talking to the Gman in the game. Atleast, that's what I took from it:) And Riom, you do have a point. But if the Gman released Gordon in HL2 simply because he had an interest in saving humanity, he contradicts himself in a way for he put Gordon back into stasis when his presence was so badly needed. So, we can only assume that certain individuals hired him.

There's a huge chance he might've been captured and killed back then. And it's possible an uprising this successful wouldn't have been possible up until now, so maybe that's why G-Man put you in stasis just as Gordon's job was finished and took him out when the world really needed him.

The world really needed Gordon at the end of HL2. Yes, at the beginning of the game he explains he took Gordon out of stasis at that time, because previously his efforts would be wasted. I'm talking at the end of the game though. Maybe I misunderstand what you're saying.

riom, he was needed to help evacuate the citizens, stabilizing the core (which allowed the former) And the gman probably took into account the Combine eventual retailation, but didn't really care. Hence the Vorts intervention.

It's all in the fine print that the Resistance (or those unofficially representing the Resistance) failed to read when they signed up to use Freeman's services. All the Resistance payed for was a way to jumpstart the Rebellion, and apparently G-Man thought Freeman's mission was adequetly finished when Dr. Breen was stopped from teleporting off-world. However, the Vortigaunts didn't think Freeman was finished with his work.....

I think G-man thought Freeman's mission was accomplished in the destruction of Breen's reactor, as we know it cut off the Combines connection to Earth. Though you could be right Black Op in saying that it was when Breen was stopped escaping Earth.

But if G-Man didn't put Gordon into stasis at the end, he would've fried up with Alyx.

And if you watch the opening of Ep:1 closely, it looks like G-Man comes out to talk to Gordon before he sees the vortigaunts(he opens his mouth, but looks away and closes it) So maybe he was planning to take him out again but the vortigaunts just got there first to stop G-Man from giving Gordon his mission(maybe it was something that would've hurt Earth? idk)

G-man took Gordon away from the tip of the Citadel as the reactor exploded, leaving Alyx for dead. At that very moment the Vorts entered, and rescued Alyx.

I firmly believe G-man re-entered stasis having took up one of those offers he mentioned. Of course, he didn't get his way - not only pissing him off, but the people who required Gordon's services.

Samon said:
I think G-man thought Freeman's mission was accomplished in the destruction of Breen's reactor, as we know it cut off the Combines connection to Earth. Though you could be right Black Op in saying that it was when Breen was stopped escaping Earth.
I do prefer my theory since the "stopping of Dr. Breen" a frankly a more open-ended goal that could be accomplished in several ways. The destruction of Breen's reactor seemed to be a spur-of-the-moment decision rather than a deliberate goal of the Resistance. Of course the G-Man did see this successful action as a completion of Freeman's mission if it's not for the same reasons as yours.

But if G-Man didn't put Gordon into stasis at the end, he would've fried up with Alyx.
The Vortigaunts would have saved Alyx whether if Gordon was in stasis or not. Alyx was not affected by G-Man in any way.

Black Op said:
I do prefer my theory since the "stopping of Dr. Breen" a frankly a more open-ended goal that could be accomplished in several ways. The destruction of Breen's reactor seemed to be a spur-of-the-moment decision rather than a deliberate goal of the Resistance. Of course the G-Man did see this successful action as a completion of Freeman's mission if it's not for the same reasons as yours.

I'm not sure. I agree to the extent that the damage the reactor explosion caused was not intentional, and was more of an unseen benifact. Perhaps it was Breen's failed departure that satisfied the G-man to the extent that he extracted Gordon.

Whilst Administrator of Earth he's still the middle of the affair - you've got humanity, then Breen, and then the Combine. He's sort of the middle man. I'm not entirely sure taking Breen out of the equation was the best idea. It would obviously have to be done, because it rattles the Combines grip on Earth it's just with Breen's removal it shows he's failed the assimilation program, and now it's going to be a case of "Wipe them out, all of them."

Whatever the case, the G-man was satisfied.

Samon said:
I'm not sure. I agree to the extent that the damage the reactor explosion caused was not intentional, and was more of an unseen benifact. Perhaps it was Breen's failed departure that satisfied the G-man to the extent that he extracted Gordon.

Whilst Administrator of Earth he's still the middle of the affair - you've got humanity, then Breen, and then the Combine. He's sort of the middle man. I'm not entirely sure taking Breen out of the equation was the best idea. It would obviously have to be done, because it rattles the Combines grip on Earth it's just with Breen's removal it shows he's failed the assimilation program, and now it's going to be a case of "Wipe them out, all of them."

Whatever the case, the G-man was satisfied.

But I wonder what G-man was going to say if the vorts never interrupted him.. Since he never did that after hl1 when he put you into statis.

I figured that destroying the reactor was a much more important goal, even while I was playing.

I think the Gman wanted the reactor destroyed, but the resistance was only concerned about Breen.

I honestly do not believe the resistance expected to see Gordon after the reactor blew up. Look at the expression of sheer disbelief on Eli's face when Alyx tells him that she found Gordon! He was convinced that Gordon would be in stasis and that Alyx would never of found him.

Ipwnthenoobs said:
But I wonder what G-man was going to say if the vorts never interrupted him.. Since he never did that after hl1 when he put you into statis.
This interests me as well. He very audibly clears his throat to talk and is then stopped by the chanting. Was the Vortiguant's intervention actually irrelevent, or was the GMan going to use Freeman for something completely different?

I saw the beginning of Episode 1 as an alternate ending to HL2. In the first version, the Gman comes in and takes Gordon off and leaves Alyx for dead. In Episode 1, the Vortigaunts change the timeline. So they rescue Alyx. And when the Gman comes in to start his speech from HL2, the Vorts come in and take Gordon out of stasis.

Samon said:
Well Valve did state Episode 1 takes place directly after HL2.

And of course, if it was an alternate timeline, the Citadel's teleporter wouldn't have been destroyed, and thus they wouldn't have had to overload the reactor in order to simply send a transmission.

It's an interesting theory, but totally invalidated by the game. :p

If GMan wouldn't have Interfered with gordon after the reactor blew, gordon would be dead. So maybe gordons mission wasn't done, and that the gman put gordon into stasis for a short time to save him from the explosion?

Dsty2001 said:
If GMan wouldn't have Interfered with gordon after the reactor blew, gordon would be dead. So maybe gordons mission wasn't done, and that the gman put gordon into stasis for a short time to save him from the explosion?
G-Man didn't interfere with Alyx, so why did Vortigaunts save her? I assume the Vortigaunts would have done the same for Gordon whether he was in stasis or not.

Gordon wasn't going to be continuing the mission
"if and when your time comes round again"
His resistance mission was done.

Cpl_Facehugger said:
And of course, if it was an alternate timeline, the Citadel's teleporter wouldn't have been destroyed, and thus they wouldn't have had to overload the reactor in order to simply send a transmission.

It's an interesting theory, but totally invalidated by the game. :p

Why wouldn't the reactor be destroyed? Do you think alternate means opposite or something?

All I am saying is that the vortigaunts went back a minute or two and changed how things went down. It makes sense. Why else would we see the explosion again if Gordon is in Stasis?

Every other part of the entire series is from Gordon's point of view, I doubt Valve would make it third person for just that part of the game.

Not to mention that it fits into the whole teleportation/time travel thing in HL2.

Always when Gordons stasis comes up I wonder, where the hell is it (?) located. I mean, can it be some kind of pod? It obviously got a door of some kind and it's filled with total darkness/emptiness. And how did the Vorts find this stasis chamber? I mean, it seems to be something concrete, although at the same time it seems diffuse. Any ideas?

I do think the intro of Ep 1 is in 3rd person. My take is this:
  • Reactor blows up.
  • Gman uses his technology/power to intervene. Whether he slows time down, or slows Gordon's perception of it is irrelevant. My theory is that either way, the gman's intervention could be "felt" and taken advantage of by the vorts.
  • The vorts then managed to tap into the release of power, taking advantage of it to give them enough time to channel their collective power and grab Alyx.
  • Once Alyx was out of harm's way, they telepathically followed what ever energy trail the gman left behind, and as soon as the gman opened up Gordon's prison to speak to him, the vorts snatched him out through the opening.

It is my belief that the vorts did not also slow time for Alyx. I think they merely took advantage of whatever the Gman had done, and snatched Alyx away right after the Gman and Gordon disappeared.

I also think there were a few hours inbetween Alyx's rescue and Gordon's prison break. Alyx had been looking for Gordon for a while before d0g found him and it is much later in the evening at the start of EP1 than it was at the end of HL2. This is how I justify thinking that they did not open Gordon's prison by their own power. They merely waited for the Gman to open the way, and used it to smuggle Gordon out.

Revenge said:
I do think the intro of Ep 1 is in 3rd person.
I say it's a first person "vision", where Freeman has a kind of out of body experience. He isn't actually there at the reactor with Alyx, he just sees it somehow, perhaps through the eyes of a vortiguant or at least through their power, reassuring him that Alyx is safe. Then it switches to First Person as the G-Man emerges from the door.

That doesn't make any sense. Why would the vortigaunts have one vortigaunt go in first, where Gordon was standing, and then have the rest come in all dramatic?

Just to be dramatic? :p

While I'm willing to believe that Gordon had an out of body experience and saw what happened to Alyx through a dream or vision, I doubt that it is the case. If it is the case, then I do not believe it was through the eyes of another vort because as cojawfee mentions, you are right where Gordon was, and you start viewing the scene a moment before the explosion actually occurs.

Perhaps it is believable that one of the Vorts was able to project into Gordon's mind a vision of Alyx getting rescued. G-Man seems to have a similar ability as scenes of the Anomalous Materials Test Chamber and the Citadel are projected during the start of HL2.

Hmmm... Good point actually...

Notice how when the Gman first appears, he seems REALLY close to you? Much closer than a person could normally stand to you while normally playing? And as the vorts start to pile up, he sorta fades out as a more far away version fades in?

Seems to me that once again the Gman was projecting into your mind, and the vorts intervened and severed the control to that deep a level. Perhaps this is why we don't see the gman everywhere in Ep1? Perhaps because he was never on all those TV screens and balconies, but rather just projecting himself into your vision for the sake of driving you nuts?

Back