Gamespot Confirms SDK is due in next few weeks

Netherscourge

Reaction score
VALVE Confirms SDK is due in next few weeks

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2/news_6086151.html

Gamers looking for a positive sign in the ongoing Half-Life 2 saga may be in luck. A recent Halflife2.net post features an e-mail attributed to Valve engineer Rick Ellis which says the software developer kit for the mega-anticipated sequel "will be released soon." The impending SDK released was confirmed Valve PR head Doug Lombardi. "We will be releasing v.1 of that in the coming weeks," he told GameSpot. Presumably, the game's release would be not far behind.

Ellis' e-mail also says a "legal hang-up" was the last hurdle Valve had to overcome before releasing the SDK. This revelation caused some speculation that physics-engine-creator Havok may have possibly sued Valve over the now-infamous code leak. However, Lombardi denied that was the case. "The 'legal hangup ... was simply in reference to us finalizing some paperwork involved with the distribution of the code in the SDK." As for the Havok lawsuit rumor, "to the best of our knowledge it is nothing more than a rumor," said Lombardi.

By Tor Thorsen, GameSpot

*cracks open a beer*
*gulp gulp gulp gulp*
WOOO HOOO!
:cheers:

I have full confidence in Valve that the SDK will be released on schedule....(famous last words)

Valve: 26th sept. 2003: "Sure hl2 will be released on 30th. Why don't you trust us?"

since then i've become a see first then believe person.

Marijn said:
Valve: 26th sept. 2003: "Sure hl2 will be released on 30th. Why don't you trust us?"

since then i've become a see first then believe person.

Ye of little faith!

This is the best news we've heard since Early September!

:smoking:

another-user said:
we can only hope, but im not beleiving anything till i see it.

True but if it is Released on time we might have HL2 earlier than we expected ,like end of feb

Hopefully..............................................

Im feeling it!! weeee. Im getting all hyped up again.
Its gonna be so fun with the SDK.

In the nature of being warry in this field,
"in coming weeks"
is an undefined number of weeks. Could be 2 or 3 :/

... or 5 or 6 or 12. . . : (

Orange said:
In the nature of being warry in this field,
"in coming weeks"
is an undefined number of weeks. Could be 2 or 3 :/

... or 5 or 6 or 12. . . : (

LoL dont say 5 ,6 or 12!!

:sniper: Delayed

I'm not a mod maker, so the release of the SDK doesn't interest me in itself. It's more the implication that the actual release of the game will follow shortly after!

He could of easily said months instead of weeks, so it must be in this month if he's true to what he's saying.

in the coming weeks means in weeks to me, if it was going to be months than they probably would not have said anything, im looking forward just to see a variety of the objects and playing with all the content given even if its not that much. Even though i dont mod much (just some maps now and then) i think something released is a step in the right direction

Don't get your hopes up.

We might have annoyed him which is why he didn't reply, but after joey got a reply from Yahn Bernier saying we'll see the SDK in the next 1-3 months, I e-mailed him about 1-TWO months and he confirmed yes...

Then I got nw909 to ask him if we'll see it in the next ONE month and he hasn't replied yet.

I'm guessing we'll see it within the next 6-8 weeks.

Its a no win situation for us here at HL2.net until we get some big news. Because if valve release ay major info/things like the SDK I think its extremely likely everyone will think HL2 is out next weekend or somthing. So they are just keeping quiet. Its getting depressing.....

I think that HL2 is likely to be soonish to follow the SDK. After all, that would show they have at least finished most of the engine. (Net code might still have problems, never know eh)

Well! Heres to hopeing it comes sooner rather than later eh! :cheers:

Chris_D said:
Don't get your hopes up.

We might have annoyed him which is why he didn't reply, but after joey got a reply from Yahn Bernier saying we'll see the SDK in the next 1-3 months, I e-mailed him about 1-TWO months and he confirmed yes...

Then I got nw909 to ask him if we'll see it in the next ONE month and he hasn't replied yet.

Annoyed them? What, we have to tend to their feelings or something? If ANYONE is doing the annoying, it's VALVE.

If Vivendi comes out in the next week and says no SDK for 6 months, Valve is toast.

It's gonna be odd having the SDK but not the game... I had always planned on playing the game first just to get some more ideas (they know the funnest stuff to do with it 'cause they created it after all)...

So much for that as I don't think I'm gonna wait...

Letters said:
It's gonna be odd having the SDK but not the game... I had always planned on playing the game first just to get some more ideas (they know the funnest stuff to do with it 'cause they created it after all)...

So much for that as I don't think I'm gonna wait...

that Lombardi-speak is really suspicious... no legal hangup? suuuure.

Not too sound like and idiot, but what is Half Life 2 SDK? What does SDK stand for?

gamblor said:
Not too sound like and idiot, but what is Half Life 2 SDK? What does SDK stand for?

Software Devlopment Kit... Es Dee Kay!

It's a tool for making MODS to the game. You'll be able to edit code and also create maps using a new version of Hammer.

if it is coming out in mere weeks, they had better start a media super mega hype train, and not stoppping until it's out

gamblor said:
Software Developers Kit

It's a kit of several tools for making MODS easier.

(the complete package contains a program to create maps, probably XSI for the modelling/animation stuff and pages of fresh recourses and HOW-TO's )

Later they are planning to release the second part of the HL2 SDK with contains the Engine/Physics code

I really hope it will be released late January. When it does I hope the game will be released in March somewhere

Note: there are already proffesional mod teams developing with the new SDK. like the COOP mod...

Even though I have no clue how to use it; I'll still d/l it just to mess around with it :)

I don't think any mods have the sdk yet, gabe or someone else said that in an email that's in the front/middle of this thread. Of course CS and DoD probably have it, but VALVe pretty much owns those games now...

I hope it comes out in late January also b/c finals are coming up for me, and I don't want to be stuck studying, while the thing i've been waiting for since august is out.

Magriep said:
I don't think any mods have the sdk yet, gabe or someone else said that in an email that's in the front/middle of this thread. Of course CS and DoD probably have it, but VALVe pretty much owns those games now...

I hope it comes out in late January also b/c finals are coming up for me, and I don't want to be stuck studying, while the thing i've been waiting for since august is out.

CS and DoD are being developed in Valves offices. They have access to everything and some the CS/DoD guys are probably working on HL2 as well.

Magriep said:

Finals done for me. We did 'em before Christmas :naughty:. Waaaaaaaaay better that way, believe me.

Chris_D said:
Don't get your hopes up.

I agree that this is probably the case, but you know the emails asked if there was a chance, and the reply was along the lines of "Yes, there is a chance."

I still agree that it's most likely 6-8 weeks, perhaps a little sooner or maybe a little later, either way I'm sure most will be satisfied :)

"Presumably, the game's release would be not far behind."

How 'bout that eh?

Letters said:
"Presumably, the game's release would be not far behind."

How 'bout that eh?

Hypocrit: Yes but by not far behind... they could mean 5 days behind... or 6... or 12!... years even!

Nah well

I just think thats too little to say about it being released

Trust me if I had my own gaming company, I'd deffinetally have a release date to give out, rather than just saying maybe it'll come out in the next few weeks...

________________________________Guys.. the SDK was just a joke..
:eek: :sniper:__________________________________/
:sniper: :eek: :sniper:_______________________:smoking:
:eek:_________________________________________^Gabe

I think Valve tried that one and they ended up disappointing everyone.

yeah,
Just because you are creating the game doesn't mean you know when you are going to solve a problem/ finish something.

They might know what they have to do but getting it done, and seeing if it had any reppercussions creates uncertainty with any change with the code/development.

So they take a risk declaring a specific date
in the case somehting they solved/finished brought up new issues.

I'm impressed that they finally put the boot into the 'Havok sues Valve' Rumour.

yeah "in some weeks" = Three months.
"in a point in the future we wil lrelease a build so you can test your maps with physics" = 9 months
Hl2 released = 2 years.

I am getting reallly low with my expectations.. :/

Illusion said:
yeah "in some weeks" = Three months.
"in a point in the future we wil lrelease a build so you can test your maps with physics" = 9 months
Hl2 released = 2 years.

I am getting reallly low with my expectations.. :/
Atleast make your pessimism make sense :) lol 3 months to 9 months to 2 years.. that'd be VALVe shooting themselves in both feet

Shuzer said:
Atleast make your pessimism make sense :) lol 3 months to 9 months to 2 years.. that'd be VALVe shooting themselves in both feet

I would be super pissed if it was released after april..Im hoping for march MAYBE end of feb.

We should be hearing more info about HL2 in the weeks to come.

I am now getting more optimistic that by the end of April I'll be crowbarring a whole new bunch of headcrabs :cheers:

Back