Gordon spotted through portals

Paulaner

Space Core
Reaction score
Just wasting some forum space with a lighthearted thought: in my opinion it seems very likely that EP3 will let us use the portal gun for a short period of time, maybe one puzzle map connected to Borealis. In that case we will be able to see Gordon through portals, breaking one of the unspoken rules of Half-Life, don't you think?

Just wasting some forum space with a lighthearted thought: in my opinion it seems very likely that EP3 will let us use the portal gun for a short period of time, maybe one puzzle map connected to Borealis. In that case we will be able to see Gordon through portals, breaking one of the unspoken rules of Half-Life, don't you think?

Thus, we won't get the Portal gun.

your talking about being chell and using the portal gun, and then seeing gordan?

your talking about being chell and using the portal gun, and then seeing gordan?

Well, no. If you are Gordon and are in possession of the portal gun, you can fire two portals in a way that you can stare at yourself through them. In Portal is a regular thing.

aaa yes, but if you can do that, then valve would not put the portal gun in their jest so then you can never realy see gordan.

aaa yes, but if you can do that, then valve would not put the portal gun in their jest so then you can never realy see gordan.

I don't think that the "never see Gordon" clause is so strong that some funny and original gameplay has to be denied.

thanks for those over punctuated remarks OTCEscape, and yes that does seem like a good assumption PaloM.

Yeah, like they don't show his hands when driving, on a turret, turning wheels to open gates, opening doors, or doing anything with his hands. I think they could just not show him.

the portal gun won't be used in ep3. deal with it.

Gordon is a name! Names deserve to be spelled properly ffs :p

So far I have tolerated the whole "omg we must not see gordon" thing, even though I don't really believe in the reasoning behind it. But when it starts to have a negative effect on gameplay design, I draw the line there.

Introducing the portal gun to Episode 3 is negative to gameplay design IMO, at least as we currently know it. Portal and Half-Life are very different games. I ultimately want to be shooting enemies, not playing a puzzle game. While I wager we will see some implementation of portals in the next episode, I highly doubt we'll ever wield the ASHPD. That it could allow Gordon to see himself would just be a bit of insult to injury.

Guys, I am talking about a "short" appearance of the portal gun. Just a single puzzle map, totally different from normal Half-Life gameplay. If I was a Valve designer I would have no doubt about it.

yeah i think the portal gun should jest stay in the portal world and not interfear with the half life universe, it would jest make things complecated and confusing, not to mention that valve wouldent even bother putting it in half life 2 episode 3 if they say the posts and threads about the portal gun in ep3 on Halflife2.net.

There have been videos of the Portal gun used in Nova Prospekt, I really don't see why it can't be in a well designed, enclosed and combat heavy level in Episode 3. The reason Portal was a puzzle game was so people would be acclimatized to a brand new way of thinking, now that we are, I think it's ready to be implemented into a full game.

And why is everyone so fussy about seeing Gordon or not? I really don't see how him being visible is going to be any detriment to the Half-Life series.

Well, if Gordon and Alyx are going to pay a visit to an Aperture Science ship facility (as the Borealis seems to be), finding a portal gun is a very likely event.
I agree on the fact that the PG will disrupt Half-Life gameplay as we know and like it. But a single puzzle map, sort of a cameo from Portal, will be a fine cake for me ;-)

Introducing the portal gun to Episode 3 is negative to gameplay design IMO, at least as we currently know it. Portal and Half-Life are very different games. I ultimately want to be shooting enemies, not playing a puzzle game. While I wager we will see some implementation of portals in the next episode, I highly doubt we'll ever wield the ASHPD. That it could allow Gordon to see himself would just be a bit of insult to injury.

Well, if Valve have a legitimate gameplay reason for not including portals, then I fully support them.

My point was that if any aspect of gameplay, portals or otherwise, ended up getting eliminated simply because of this whole "omg we must not see gordan" crap, then they have clearly made a mistake.

Introducing the portal gun to Episode 3 is negative to gameplay design IMO, at least as we currently know it. Portal and Half-Life are very different games. I ultimately want to be shooting enemies, not playing a puzzle game.
Isn't that exactly why they would put the Portal Gun into Half-Life? To use it in a way that was out of place in Portal (where the feel was broken by having a simple boss-sequence with more than a handful of turrets). If Valve seriously want to make 'Portal Combat', they'll go ahead an do it regardless of whether they end up breaking their 'you don't see Gordon rule'.

My hunch is that they won't, and that all the innovation will end up in Portal 2 though.

Yes.

Portals will largely remain in Portal. If there is a place for fleshing out actual combat in Portal gameplay, it would be in the next installment of the series. Not a Half-Life expansion.

Think about it, people. :|

Yes.

Portals will largely remain in Portal. If there is a place for fleshing out actual combat in Portal gameplay, it would be in the next installment of the series. Not a Half-Life expansion.

Think about it, people. :|

Concur.

Portal in portal, Hl2 in Hl2.

Portal in portal, Hl2 in Hl2.

Warning
Spoilers below

Then why involving Aperture Science so deeply in the HL universe? Valve didn't include a simple nod to Portal in Ep2, to satisfy the fans. On the contrary, the storyline seems to proceed along the Aperture-Black Mesa rivalry, the Borealis incident and the "unforeseen consequences" of Aperture researches (I assume it refers to portals and the portal gun).
You see, in my opinion Portal and HL are closer than we think.

Warning
Spoilers below

Then why involving Aperture Science so deeply in the HL universe?

Because it's neat.

Just because the games are involved in the same universe does not make up for the fact that they are both built around wildly different gameplay. They may intersect at points, but the conflict with GLaDOS was contained away from the dealings with the Combine and such. And we don't actually know how important Aperture Science is at this point. To me it seemed mostly a namedrop; a thought that came after already implementing the Borealis.

I doubt we'll actually get a portal gun, but maybe they could have scripted or computer-controlled portals like in Prey. For example, Gordon having to activate a bulky, stationary prototype portal gun to open a path to the next room or something.

That way we not only have limited portal gameplay(although they'd be functionally little more than fancy doors) but Valve could strategically place the portals so that the "omg gordon must not be seen" purists don't get offended.

It's important to remember that we know that the Borealis branch of Aperture Science was involved in Teleportation, since it went missing in a teleportation experiment. That allows for either small scale 'Portal' teleportation to be going on there, or not, depending on whether Valve want it to.

I'm with Apocalypse. To be sure, I think it's very probable that portal technology will be present on the Borealis and will factor into some environments/scenarios. But I find it highly unlikely that Gordon will ever exert direct control on them, let alone get his hands on the ASHPD.

I think the fact that Valve have now openely discussed Portal 2 is pretty much the final nail in the coffin for speculation of the Portal gun in EP3. But it would be really interesting if the Portal story was explored further in EP3 & the HL universe delved into further via Portal 2. That would be cool & surely quite likely after what Valve did with the original Portal. We originally thought that Portal was going to be a completely seperate entity to HL. I think it was amazing what Valve did with Portal both in gameplay mechanics & the way they weaved it into the HL universe. The Portal gun only represents a fraction of what made Portal so good, thus I'm not really fussed about in EP3.

Back