gordon wearing HEV helmet?

In HL1 you see dead scientist in HEV suits WITH HELMITS ON
(You see them in Xen)

No, Gordon does not have a head, but his helmet looks like a face.

I believed he only used the Helmet in Xen. Like all the others that first came into Xen. you can see some of them in Xen.

Where are the helmets on the suits whenever he puts it on? Also, how does he put that thing on? Some kind of zipper?

Anyone else dissapointed that there was no long jump?

Has anyone LOOKED at the Player Model on World Hammer? I know, hes silver and featureless but hes not wearing a helmet thats for sure, unless his head is like 3 inches wide and his helmet has the same haircut :/

Has anyone LOOKED at the Player Model on World Hammer? I know, hes silver and featureless but hes not wearing a helmet thats for sure, unless his head is like 3 inches wide and his helmet has the same haircut :/

Thats just the model though, it doesnt prove anything, unless your implying that alyx and co are talking to a silver, fearturless man all the time...

zinquaff said:
Anyone else dissapointed that there was no long jump?

No. I hate jumping puzzels. They were only bad thing thing about HL1.

I've always criticized the way gordan uses the HEV suit to enter a hazardous area safely....but doesnt put on the damn helmet, completley leaving him open to frying in toxic waste and stuff, therefore, defeating the purpose of wearing it in the first place. Actually, the suit does serve a purpose, body armor, but Gordan didn't put it on knowing that endless battle lied before him, he put it on for an experiment. ya catch ma drift?

Well perhaps Gordon uses his helmet in the same way Barney uses his C.P. helmet: Only when he needs to.

If Barney can work out how to take a helmet on and off, then I'm sure Gordan can too... But then again we haven't exactly seen Gordon springing up drainpipes like Alyx does, so ya never know...

As for where he actually keeps the helmet when he's not using it? Well where does he keep his crowbar, zero point energy manipulator, 2 pistols, submachine gun, fully automatic pulse rifle, shotgun, crossbow, rocket launcher, grenades and a limitless supply of pherapods? I'm guessing it all goes in the same place... Wherever the hell that place happens to be...

Madhotch said:
I've always criticized the way gordan uses the HEV suit to enter a hazardous area safely....but doesnt put on the damn helmet, completley leaving him open to frying in toxic waste and stuff, therefore, defeating the purpose of wearing it in the first place. Actually, the suit does serve a purpose, body armor, but Gordan didn't put it on knowing that endless battle lied before him, he put it on for an experiment. ya catch ma drift?
And also, when he swims, without the helmet, shouldn't the suit fill with water?

AJ Rimmer said:
And also, when he swims, without the helmet, shouldn't the suit fill with water?
I really think he doesn't wear a helmet... and he doesn't need it. Anyway, the suit is designed for Hazardous Enviroment... of course it is sealed so that water or any toxic wont enter the body. :borg:

Sid Burn said:
I really think he doesn't wear a helmet... and he doesn't need it. Anyway, the suit is designed for Hazardous Enviroment... of course it is sealed so that water or any toxic wont enter the body. :borg:
But what good does that do if water and toxic still can come in contact with his face!! Two parts that really should be priority for a hazard suit to protect; The face and head, and the... family jewels...

AJ Rimmer said:
But what good does that do if water and toxic still can come in contact with his face!! Two parts that really should be priority for a hazard suit to protect; The face and head, and the... family jewels...
Hmm... you indeed have a point... but, the toxic waste is either on his feet or on his chest... plus he rarely goes to toxic waste... so I can assume that no helmet is needed. :cool:

Sid Burn said:
Hmm... you indeed have a point... but, the toxic waste is either on his feet or on his chest... plus he rarely goes to toxic waste... so I can assume that no helmet is needed. :cool:
But the suit was designed to protect from radiation, ok, so not too many situations require anyone to swim head-deep in radioactive waste, but the user of the HEV was supposed to experience extremely high doses of radiation and live, and without protection to the head, it is, to be frank, brown trouser time for little gordon.

ok, this must be a really old thread, but has anyone noticed, when you get captured in HL1, or the time after the resonance cascade, you could hear yourself breath, like you're breathing in a helmet. so he must have a helmet,... or serious hearing problems...
the only thing annoying ,i think, is gordon havin' 10 grenades, 5 trip mines, an RPG,(and when he get's hit by grenade, nothing happens...) MP5, shotgun, Magnum, crowbar, gause gun, and... it's like he has a whole arsenal inside he's left inner pocket...

ok, this must be a really old thread, but has anyone noticed, when you get captured in HL1, or the time after the resonance cascade, you could hear yourself breath, like you're breathing in a helmet. so he must have a helmet,... or serious hearing problems...
That's just to enphasise that he's winded/exhausted.

the only thing annoying ,i think, is gordon havin' 10 grenades, 5 trip mines, an RPG,(and when he get's hit by grenade, nothing happens...) MP5, shotgun, Magnum, crowbar, gause gun, and... it's like he has a whole arsenal inside he's left inner pocket...
That's true of most shooters and HL is defenatly not trying to be realistic.
What do you mean by "and when he get's hit by grenade, nothing happens"?

I think Half-Life 2 was originally supposed to have more restricted inventory system where you couldn't carry every single gun you came across. Just watch the old coastline Bink video and there you'll see Gordon throwing his shotgun away and picking up a RPG.

riomhaire: i mean when you have full health and armor, even if a grenade explodes in front of you, you'll just loose a bit, (or maybe a lot sometimes) of health, while actually, when you're carrying trip mines, grenades, RPG rockets and... you should get blown up.. right?

Not necessarily. Most grenades don't blow up due to proximity explosions. Otherwise you'd hear about a lot of troopers in Iraq getting blown up because their grenades detonate in their pocket when an Iraqi throws a grenade at them.

Most explosives have safety devices on them. You can pull the pin off a grenade and usually won't detonate unless you squeeze the safety release.

well yeah, i didn't mean like that, how come you jump in toxic and it doesn't blow?

I don't think he wears a helmet for the following reasons:

1- Everyone immediately reconizes hims as Gordon, so probably they see his face.

2- I hear you can play in third person view using a command on the consoles, and I believe you're helmetless in it....I haven't ever tried it, I'm just assuming, but..I think it'd be weird if it were just a man ina helmet on third person...

The_Great_Walter said:
2- I hear you can play in third person view using a command on the consoles, and I believe you're helmetless in it....I haven't ever tried it, I'm just assuming, but..I think it'd be weird if it were just a man ina helmet on third person...

That doesn't mean anything, simply because the game isn't meant to be played in third person, therefore has no bearing on this argument.

Gordon doesn't wear a helment, I'm pretty certain of that.

The helmet was in HL1 because thay all thught Xen air wasn't breatheable and the suit needed it for toxic protection. But it actually was breathable air in there (and it smelled good too!). But in HL2 you don't see a helmet when getting the suit. I think this new suit have some stuffs inbuilt so you don't need the helmet anymore. Sensors in the glove detects what sort of gun you are holding and how much ammo you got Air breather pops up as a thin thing so he can breathe underwhater. HUD is actually a hologram for the HEV suit user's eyes only.
Toxic stuffs and headcrabs, probebly Kleiner have built in some sort of anti-headcrab system that will hurt you but thay cant "have sex" with you that easly.. or at all. The toxic.. well i got no clue about that.

The_Great_Walter said:
I don't think he wears a helmet for the following reasons:

1- Everyone immediately reconizes hims as Gordon, so probably they see his face.
Not many other people go around in bright orange radiation suits. And I think that things happen storywise that don't in the game, eg I think that in BME Gordon took off his helmet and rested a bit(and ate) before going to use the GG.

the thing might be that because you don't go to xen in HL2, you don't see a helmet, but again the HUD and...
the thing i noticed: if you have a helmet, how could they identify you? you know like the flying photographers... damn! i forgot their name...
and it's kinda stupid to walk in an HEV suit with a helmet in a city, it's like an astornod walking in a city in he's suit!
damn i don't know how to spell...!

...not too stupid if the HEV suit keeps bullets and other pesky bits of flak from killing you.

For the people recognise you. People didn't recognise you without it (cept the BM employees) and even after they still didn't until word got out. They don't see Gordon Freeman, they see The One Free Man.

I always wondered if it was deployable- as in, it folds up when not in use.

There's all sorts of reasons for not explaining/showing its presence during the game, but it's a given that the HEV suit has some kind of helmet, at least concept-art wise. But realism wise (not that Valve have ever let realism get in the way of their story) it'd be mad if he goes around sticking his bare head into viscous waste...!

I think the suit (and other armors based on HEV technology) projects a limited force field that can substitute for a helmet in a pinch, and
helps provide additional resistance against hazardous environments
and materials. This field may be a secondary effect of the electrically
charged armor plating that is standard for HEV suit technology.

dun duuun duuuun... ;D
Nah it's like what i said up there on this page.. holograms and anti-headcrab-sex-system thingy

the REAL question here

The thing that always bothered me wasn't the helmet question, but rather why he gets a second HEV suit in HL2. I mean, you're supposed to be able to play from the beginning of HL1 to the end of HL2 without missing a single moment of Gordon's experience, right? So at the end of HL1, the Gman comes and whisks you off into stasis - WHILE STILL IN YOUR HEV SUIT (you can see the HUD through the credits)! Okay, so then Gordon wakes up on the train to City 17. Now, unless the Gman stripped him down while in stasis and put him in one of those drab blue numbers, he'd still be wearing the FIRST HEV suit. Does he put the second one on over the first? Perhaps they have a fight to the death over which one gets worn? Or maybe they just combine their powers to make one SUPERsuit.

Either way, it's confused the bejesus out of me for a while now.

safetyswami said:
The thing that always bothered me wasn't the helmet question, but rather why he gets a second HEV suit in HL2. I mean, you're supposed to be able to play from the beginning of HL1 to the end of HL2 without missing a single moment of Gordon's experience, right? So at the end of HL1, the Gman comes and whisks you off into stasis - WHILE STILL IN YOUR HEV SUIT (you can see the HUD through the credits)! Okay, so then Gordon wakes up on the train to City 17. Now, unless the Gman stripped him down while in stasis and put him in one of those drab blue numbers, he'd still be wearing the FIRST HEV suit. Does he put the second one on over the first? Perhaps they have a fight to the death over which one gets worn? Or maybe they just combine their powers to make one SUPERsuit.

Either way, it's confused the bejesus out of me for a while now.
Yes, g-man gives you citizen clothing. It's the most obvious answer concerning HEV suits.

I'd guess that while in stasis you were put in new clothing (whether magically or by a pervy G-man) so that you were slightly less conspicuous when entering City-17.

Which of course begs the question of where the hell Kleiner got HEV suit #2 from. :upstare:

I don't know if anyone has talked about this, but I'll share a couple thoughts. I thik I remember in the first one when you get the suit, doesn't one part say "vital meters online"? I doubt it would be saying that if there was no helmet. And how you see Gordon being dragged along by two marines, when he got knocked out, they probably took his helmet off.

Besides, wouldn't it seem a bit cheesy? He has auxillery meters, can go through radioactive chemicals taking minimal damage, and can take shots to the head. Now, I know it's just a game, but still, it has to make some sense.

gordon should be like **** IT, and strip off that HEV suit. Imagine him running around naked with crowbar in hand .... SCREAMING FREEEEEDOM! ahahah scare the shit outta any combine solider lol:rolling:

PEACE

Mike:cheers:

Sulkdodds said:
I'd guess that while in stasis you were put in new clothing (whether magically or by a pervy G-man) so that you were slightly less conspicuous when entering City-17.

Which of course begs the question of where the hell Kleiner got HEV suit #2 from. :upstare:

There was millions of those suits. He is a professor! A genius! Shesh he made it better and stronger him self.

Back